Canton for the State finals

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Re: Canton for the State finals

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

greygoose wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:29 pm
Paladin wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:10 pm Seven divisions, five teams from NEO. SEO? lol

Now , last 10 years there were 65 champs ( 7 divisions, 6 in 2012 and before). NEO won 26 of those and if you include the runner up, near HALF the teams are from NEO out of FOUR regions. The committee knows what it's doing, lol

So you failed not only math, but geography too. And, yes, I want fries.........
LOL, if the committee knew what it was doing the games would be in a centralized location such as Columbus. By this standard you are saying the committee caters to those above the I-70 line like I have stated many times. Given that Cincinnati area schools represent well and the influx of a new team popping up every year so believe in the ideology that we should simply play games in Canton, "because well maybe most teams will be closer this year" is a farce. The fact that no answer has ever been put out there shows you EXACTLY how incompetent these guys truly are. I mean just come out grow a set and say, "yeah we hold it all the way North because there's more money to be made by having it played up here." I mean let's just be realistic by your rationale really the state championship games should be played in Dayton the MAC is not only playing in but winning 2-3 state titles every year. Biggest hitters in NEO are mostly private schools, so I guess the more we talk the more it becomes little more obvious. MONEY. Money talks everyone from below the I-70 line walks, or I should say travels. Until they come out and give a clear cut reason, there isn't any reasoning or numbers YOU can throw out to make me believe anything else. Proof is in the pudding.

You are so true about mostly private schools from NEO winning the state titles and the last time I checked private schools have very few fan followers.

Wheelersburg and Eastwood set an attendance record with 9778 fans, a record that had been around since 2002. If that game was at the shoe I would venture to bet there would have been close to 11,000 there as a lot more people from Wheelersburg and Southern Ohio would have driven the 2 hours to Columbus to take in that game. I would like to know how many was on the Burg’s side and if I were to Guess I would say 6500-7000

knightruner
JV Team

Post by knightruner »

I was there for all the games and I have never seen as few fans at the games this year. I remember when you couldn't get a seat. There was plenty of empty seats for all seven games. They said there was 9,000 plus for the Burg game but it sure didn't look like it. Put it back in Columbus end of story.

cbolt
SEOP

Post by cbolt »

According to the latest OHSAA figures attendance was up this year. 61,312 this year to 55,421 at the shoe last year.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

The jump in attendance might have been caused by 13 of the 14 schools being public schools.

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Burg would have definitely had even more people there if it were in Columbus, a lot of SEO fans would have made that trip.

The Paladin "Canton being central to the teams actually playing" argument is not only nonsense factually but misses the point of the average HS football fan experience that team isn't even playing. The State Fair is held in Columbus every year because it is centrally located. If we use Paladin's argument we should locate the fair around all the farmers and animals somewhere presumably in West or NW Ohio.

His arguments are typically weak, much like his prediction ability.

Crew Stadium would be an interesting arrangement, but it needs to be in Columbus. That is where the basketball, wrestling, baseball, track, etc., championships are located and it simply is the best location. The HOF Stadium and surrounding areas, transportation and parking were an absolute mess.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Paladin wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:07 am BTW, I didn't go this year. Son went and I could have gone but knew it would be a mess and preferred to watch at home on TV. Just go to joe Eitel and check the number of NEO teams in ALL divisions that are in a NWO or SEO region. It becomes very obvious

You are a real piece of work. You thump your chest and say Canton is the best place to play these games and then say you didn't go because "you knew it would be a mess". Just go the hell away.

So then put the darn thing in Columbus where it won't be a huge mess and more people have easier access to the games.

"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends"
noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Great picture on the Portal

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

While I completely understand that NE Ohio is the birthplace of high school football, I think their location selection has everything to do with money. Personally, I don't want to give my $ to a pure for-profit organization like the HoF. Columbus is the no-brainer. If not OSU, then Ohio Wesleyan, or even Mapfre. If they're going to insist on NE Ohio, I'd much rather go to Massillon HS than Canton.

It's a shame that Capital, Otterbein, and Ohio Dominican don't seat enough. I'd much rather give my $ to see a game to a small school like those.

Or, considering 6 of the 14 teams in the finals were from the western half of the state, plus one from the central, why not Welcome Stadium in Dayton?

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

GoIrish wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:51 am While I completely understand that NE Ohio is the birthplace of high school football, I think their location selection has everything to do with money. Personally, I don't want to give my $ to a pure for-profit organization like the HoF. Columbus is the no-brainer. If not OSU, then Ohio Wesleyan, or even Mapfre. If they're going to insist on NE Ohio, I'd much rather go to Massillon HS than Canton.

It's a shame that Capital, Otterbein, and Ohio Dominican don't seat enough. I'd much rather give my $ to see a game to a small school like those.

Or, considering 6 of the 14 teams in the finals were from the western half of the state, plus one from the central, why not Welcome Stadium in Dayton?
So, I'm confused! If the OHSAA only cares about money, and then everyone believes that attendance would have been higher in Columbus, then how can moving to Canton be about the money?

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Paladin wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:00 am Answer -- it is centrally located for MOST of the participants. I attended the state championship in '73 , while coaching, between Youngstown Cardinal Mooney and Warren Western Reserve at the Rubber Bowl in Akron. The schools are 15 miles apart. As more divisions added, it still is dominated by the number of NEO teams involved . Massillon , in Stark Co. won the NWO regional. Steubenville used to win the SEO regional but are now back in NEO. For years , the large overflow of NEO schools meant placing many of them into other regions of the divisions to balance out the number of schools in each region. Many a year involves NEO teams winning other regions, increasing the largest number of teams being from geographically located in NEO. Add to that the long standing good job Canton did in the early days, making it a tradition, and combine that with the large numbers of schools involved from this area of the state. For the majority, it is centrally located, lol
You can also count on a moronic post from the biggest moron on SEOP.

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

It infuriates me that they dont centrally locate ALL the state finals to make fair for all involved . 4-4.5 hours is not a day trip for elderly , handicapped , those with little money .. put it 2 hours from 90 plus % of the people instead of 20 min for 1 team and 4 hours for the other !

GoIrish
JV Team

Post by GoIrish »

Pol pot wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:16 am
GoIrish wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:51 am While I completely understand that NE Ohio is the birthplace of high school football, I think their location selection has everything to do with money. Personally, I don't want to give my $ to a pure for-profit organization like the HoF. Columbus is the no-brainer. If not OSU, then Ohio Wesleyan, or even Mapfre. If they're going to insist on NE Ohio, I'd much rather go to Massillon HS than Canton.

So, I'm confused! If the OHSAA only cares about money, and then everyone believes that attendance would have been higher in Columbus, then how can moving to Canton be about the money?
How much money does the HoF organization donate to the OHSAA or it's Foundation? If we can find that answer, that makes it about money.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Post by sapientia et veritas »

GoIrish wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:51 amIt's a shame that Capital, Otterbein, and Ohio Dominican don't seat enough. I'd much rather give my $ to see a game to a small school like those.
The finals crowds would fit into the stadiums at Upper Arlington or Grove City just fine, except for maybe D-I. Just put them all in neutral locations anywhere in the state big enough to hold the crowd. And have OHSAA take its Friday night only rule for the last week of the playoffs as well. Get the money out of the high school game.
Last edited by sapientia et veritas on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Really don’t see a good argument to hold it anywhere but the Columbus area

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

All of these post and still no legitimate reason why the games are in Canton.

Paladins reply was probably the DUMBEST thing I’ve ever read on here but I guess you have to consider the source. 😱😱

I bet if you dig deep you would find that someone on the OHSAA board has ties to someone on the Stark county fair board. That fair has to be the richest in the state evident by the amount of buildings and the huge Grandstand they had.

Like some said earlier, sure attendance was up or was it?? We have no way to dispute it. They can make up any number they want to reflect whatever they need it to say to make it look good. Plus if the attendance was legit it would have everything to do with only one private school this year Akron Hoban. Public schools actually have a following not only from there School but from the surrounding area. If the Wheelersburg-Eastwood game was in Columbus I would say the attendance would have been close to 11,000.

I would just like an answer to why Canton and no one will give one. When Ohio State went to field turf I sent an email to the OHSAA asking why it isn’t moving back to Columbus. I’m still waiting on that answer and that was a few years back.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

LucasDavenport wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:28 am The jump in attendance might have been caused by 13 of the 14 schools being public schools.
Agree.

TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:41 am Burg would have definitely had even more people there if it were in Columbus, a lot of SEO fans would have made that trip.

Crew Stadium would be an interesting arrangement, but it needs to be in Columbus.
Agree, definitely needs to be in Columbus.

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I just sent an email to the OHSAA on this matter. I'm sure I won't get a response back even though it said they would be in contact with me.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

yabbadabbadoo wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:55 pm I just sent an email to the OHSAA on this matter. I'm sure I won't get a response back even though it said they would be in contact with me.
Might be on to something here, get enough e-mails or start a petition maybe it's time these guys answer to someone. Easy to make decisions behind closed doors and stay hidden. Come out and explain how your decisions are improving the game and how your decisions are fair for ALL of the high school football teams in the STATE.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

http://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/About-the-OH ... ontact.pdf

E-mails and phone numbers OHSAA. Note the football contacts Football .............. Beau Rugg/Angie Lawler/Tyler Brooks/Ben Ferree.......phone numbers and e-mail are listed for each. Think it's time we end all the questions where we've yet to receive an answer.

Return to “Football”