2018 Southeastern Ohio Football Offseason Talk and Outlook

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Re: Teams That Will Shock People In 2018

Post by sapientia et veritas »

scott1297 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:18 pmHartleys gonna end up in Division l if they keep up the recruiting. They will always be good they get most of the better athletes in their area
I don't think so.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... s?State=OH

You might notice the word "Pickerington" in here a lot. It's free. And they know a little something about attracting the top area talent. Godwin Igwebuike was a St Pius kid. His cousin plays at hapless St Chucks. His dad told me that Hartley was too small and that Pickerington was free.

Gilliland didn't start at Hartley until his senior year. Basically recruited by OU on frame with lots of hope. He doesn't fit the Hartley o-line mold and didn't look promising until after he did some camps last summer. Yeah - we send a couple guys to D-II colleges every year, and we'll have a D-I player from time to time like a Jawaun Woodley or Alonzo Saxton.

Come to the Wheelersburg game. We'll won't play a whole lot different. Good physical ball. We just have more foot speed in shorts, not that it counts for much on game day.

Class of 2018
09 - Xavier Henderson Pickerington Central (Pickerington, OH)
11 - Trenton Gillison Pickerington Central (Pickerington, OH)
28 - Isaiah Mullens Harvest Preparatory School (Columbus, OH)
36 - Alex Williams Pickerington North (Pickerington, OH)
42 - Jeremiah Wood Pickerington Central (Pickerington, OH)
59 - Ty Van Fossen St. Francis De Sales (Columbus, OH) (went to St Matthews and was grade school teammate of quite a few Hartley guys)
64 - Alex Morgan Pickerington Central (Pickerington, OH)
73 - Patrick Gilliland Bishop Hartley (Columbus, OH)
83 - Tyler Potts Pickerington North (Columbus, OH)
87 - Elijah Ratliff Reynoldsburg (Reynoldsburg, OH)
99 - Joseph Boggs Reynoldsburg (Reynoldsburg, OH)
110 - Maurice Edmondson Licking Heights (Pataskala, OH)
114 - Jimmy Weirick Pickerington North (Pickerington, OH)

Class of 2019
10 - Mershawn Rice Reynoldsburg (Reynoldsburg, OH)
14 - DeWayne Carter Pickerington Central (Pickerington, OH)
16 - Dezman Cooper Reynoldsburg (Reynoldsburg, OH)

Class of 2017
19 - Morgan Ellison Pickerington Central (Pickerington, OH)
67 - Jeff Nogaj Johnstown (Johnstown, OH)
72 - Joseph Cooper Reynoldsburg (Reynoldsburg, OH)
77 - Darrick Forrest Walnut Ridge (Columbus, OH)
85 - Alonzo Booth St. Francis De Sales (Columbus, OH) (from Canal Winchester, bypassed Hartley altogether)
109 - Kieren Douglas Pickerington Central (Pickerington, OH)

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:01 am
scott1297 wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:18 pmHartleys gonna end up in Division l if they keep up the recruiting. They will always be good they get most of the better athletes in their area
I don't think so.

https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Footb ... s?State=OH

You might notice the word "Pickerington" in here a lot. It's free. And they know a little something about attracting the top area talent. Godwin Igwebuike was a St Pius kid. His cousin plays at hapless St Chucks. His dad told me that Hartley was too small and that Pickerington was free.

Gilliland didn't start at Hartley until his senior year. Basically recruited by OU on frame with lots of hope. He doesn't fit the Hartley o-line mold and didn't look promising until after he did some camps last summer. Yeah - we send a couple guys to D-II colleges every year, and we'll have a D-I player from time to time like a Jawaun Woodley or Alonzo Saxton.

Come to the Wheelersburg game. We'll won't play a whole lot different. Good physical ball. We just have more foot speed in shorts, not that it counts for much on game day.

Class of 2018
09 - Xavier Henderson Pickerington Central (Pickerington, OH)
11 - Trenton Gillison Pickerington Central (Pickerington, OH)
28 - Isaiah Mullens Harvest Preparatory School (Columbus, OH)
36 - Alex Williams Pickerington North (Pickerington, OH)
42 - Jeremiah Wood Pickerington Central (Pickerington, OH)
59 - Ty Van Fossen St. Francis De Sales (Columbus, OH) (went to St Matthews and was grade school teammate of quite a few Hartley guys)
64 - Alex Morgan Pickerington Central (Pickerington, OH)
73 - Patrick Gilliland Bishop Hartley (Columbus, OH)
83 - Tyler Potts Pickerington North (Columbus, OH)
87 - Elijah Ratliff Reynoldsburg (Reynoldsburg, OH)
99 - Joseph Boggs Reynoldsburg (Reynoldsburg, OH)
110 - Maurice Edmondson Licking Heights (Pataskala, OH)
114 - Jimmy Weirick Pickerington North (Pickerington, OH)

Class of 2019
10 - Mershawn Rice Reynoldsburg (Reynoldsburg, OH)
14 - DeWayne Carter Pickerington Central (Pickerington, OH)
16 - Dezman Cooper Reynoldsburg (Reynoldsburg, OH)

Class of 2017
19 - Morgan Ellison Pickerington Central (Pickerington, OH)
67 - Jeff Nogaj Johnstown (Johnstown, OH)
72 - Joseph Cooper Reynoldsburg (Reynoldsburg, OH)
77 - Darrick Forrest Walnut Ridge (Columbus, OH)
85 - Alonzo Booth St. Francis De Sales (Columbus, OH) (from Canal Winchester, bypassed Hartley altogether)
109 - Kieren Douglas Pickerington Central (Pickerington, OH)
You make it sound like Hartley only has a few d2 guys and an occasional d1 guy lol. Come on man. There are loads of d5-7 teams I can name that send guys to d2 and have d1 guys here and there. I wouldn’t even mention most of these schools in the same sentence as Hartley. Why try and down play your team. Do they have every good player in cbus no but they are consistently the best team in cbus regardless of division. This year it pick central but plenty of times it is Hartley they have to have some talent lol

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

ironton shocked me in 2017. and with no talk of change, they will no doubt shock me again in 2018.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
star
Waterboy

Post by star »

Burg but I don't think it's a shock

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Rolltanks wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:21 amYou make it sound like Hartley only has a few d2 guys and an occasional d1 guy lol. Come on man.
Do you have a list of names that proves otherwise, or just long boiling rage that they've won a few state titles?

2012 team had more talent than any other class at Hartley, but that was an exception. They fell short against Clinton-Massie in state semi-finals.

Dominique Scott played at Tiffin
Ja'wuan Woodley plays at Toledo
Jalen Austin went to Youngstown State
Alonzo Saxton plays at Duke
Nick King played at Walsh
Sam MacKowiak went to Ashland
Marcellus Calhoun plays at Marist
Jacob Mercier plays at Ohio Dominican
Kalil Morris plays at Kent State
Tayron Washington played for Georgetown College
Jacob Matuska played for University of Notre Dame
Last edited by sapientia et veritas on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

comebacker
Riding the Bench

Post by comebacker »

South Gallia will SHOCK the state

IF YOU DON'T WRASTLE, YOU AIN'T WORTH THE HASSLE
Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

sapientia et veritas wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:39 am
Rolltanks wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:21 amYou make it sound like Hartley only has a few d2 guys and an occasional d1 guy lol. Come on man.
Do you have a list of names that proves otherwise, or just long boiling rage that they've won a few state titles?

2012 team had more talent than any other class at Hartley, but that was an exception. They fell short against Clinton-Massie in state semi-finals.

Dominique Scott played at Tiffin
Ja'wuan Woodley plays at Toledo
Jalen Austin went to Youngstown State
Alonzo Saxton plays at Duke
Nick King played at Walsh
Sam MacKowiak went to Ashland
Marcellus Calhoun plays at Marist
Jacob Mercier plays at Ohio Dominican
Kalil Morris plays at Kent State
Tayron Washington played for Georgetown College
Jacob Matuska played for University of Notre Dame
I never said anything about names lol. My point is if you have the top team or are in the few top teams from cbus then you have to have good players. I would say Hartley has better players than Delphos Jefferson. Delphos Jefferson regularly has d2 college players and every few years has a d1 recruit. Grant it most don’t stick it out but you claim Hartley has few d2 guys and a d1 here or there. I just find this hard to believe that you claim the same talent as teams like Jefferson that don’t get past round 2. Hartley has the top talent in cbus. This year p central was better but Hartley at a d4 size usually is the best in cbus. If it’s not the talent idk what they are doing.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

I did see Hartley in 2011 with most of the kids that played on there 2012 team as well. They probably could have won against norwayne in 2011 but they drew Kenton. They played great against the pass dropping everyone. Might have been the worst passing numbers for mauk his entire career. He still beat them but they did have a great team.

sapientia et veritas
Freshman Team

Player talent is one of the ingredients for football success, but, at the high school level, coaching is more critical. That talent in the building did not differ significantly between 2005 (lost in second round of playoffs), 2008 (lost in first round of playoffs), and 2010 (won state championship). The community did not undergo some massive transformation in attitude and support. The kids didn't suddenly start working harder. The previous coach had won a state championship and was in the Ohio coaches Hall of Fame. The new guy was lucky to come into a program where all the pieces were already present. He just needed a way to rework them and get them all to fit together. He brought an assistant who installed a new offense, and they started working with the kids to get it to work. There was a great chemistry that developed spontaneously because the new guy was better able to relate to the kids. He energized the program, and the excitement and success raised expectations and things started feeding off each other. The program didn't start out with the goal of becoming a destination program. It was more simple and basic. Get better. Expect more from yourself. And it has worked. No one would deny that the talent was there. Best in Columbus is just crazy talk, though. There are at least 10 better OCC teams any given year. We don't get the top talent, and the college scouting services and coaches agree. We do well with what we've got.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

So refreshing to listen to the latin guy.

Don't always agree, but crystal clear with his insight into many of the items debated on this board regularly.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Jackson has to replace a senior line and A dangerous offensive weapon. The defense should be typical Ironmen defense again with many returning starters . The incoming class is super talented . I suspect another 7-9 win season

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

The Ironton Fighting Tigers

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

79Tiger wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:50 pm The Ironton Fighting Tigers
I hope some day!

160plussized
Waterboy

Post by 160plussized »

Gallia Academy is back boys! The class is working hard and ready to rock and roll some folks!

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

^^^^^^^^^^ I agree. Gallia has turned the corner and is ready to make a statement next season.

Dandy Don
All Conference

Post by Dandy Don »

160plussized wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:55 am Gallia Academy is back boys! The class is working hard and ready to rock and roll some folks!
Heckuva turnaround from all appearances most certainly.

160plussized
Waterboy

Post by 160plussized »

Otto wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:30 pm ^^^^^^^^^^ I agree. Gallia has turned the corner and is ready to make a statement next season.
Going to roll over the OVC!

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

The Hornets and the Blue Devils will be the favorites in the OVC this year. Fairland and Chesapeake after that. Tigers, Pointers, Redmen and Trojans will finish at the bottom although the Redmen have a chance of moving up to the middle of the pack.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Trimble Tomcats

one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

I don't think we'll know untill l they've done it. I won't be shocked by a very successful season by Wheelersburg or Trimble for sure.

Return to “Football”