Hypotheticall Matchup: 2017 Wheelersburg vs 2001 Portsmouth

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Re: Hypotheticall Matchup: 2017 Wheelersburg vs 2001 Portsmouth

Post by BigBlueNation »

I believe the 2000 Trojans was d3 wasn't they. They did have a awesome defense. The 2000 team was way better than the 2001 team.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

BigBlueNation wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:14 pm I believe the 2000 Trojans was d3 wasn't they. They did have a awesome defense. The 2000 team was way better than the 2001 team.
Yes D3

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

Ok,
#1. 2000 and 2001 had some similar skill players and defensive backs but had different Qb's ,linebackers and almost completely different lines and were not equal in terms of skills or accomplishments.

#2. Saying the 2000 team had no defense is either lazy or insincere. You have to have internet to post here so the scores are readily available to look up and see their defense was amazing that year. They gave up 10.0 points a game, they only gave up more than 14 points 3 times in 14 games, one of those was a 62-26 blowout against Miami Trace. They held the D5 State Champ to 6 points that year, and played 3 d4 playoff schools that combined for 7 points, they also held their first 2 playoff opponents to 12 combined points.

#3 The schedule was actually pretty decent for a d3 school. They played three tough playoff teams in Amanda Clearcreek, Ironton and Minford. Three decent teams, Chillicothe and Amanda Clearcreek who were larger teams around the .500 mark and Burg who was a d4 playoff team. Waverly had some talent but were young and finished .500. Rock Hill, Vinton County and Linsley, Wv were pretty bad that year.

#4 You probably didn't see a running attack like that this year. You had 4 seniors and a junior on the line, 3 of which got college rides if I remember correctly, 3 great blocking backs and 2 stud halfbacks in Jeremy Hamrick (UC recruit 4.4 40) Jo Jo Parker (D3 offensive player of the year and I believe is one of the top career rushers at Fairmont State College).

#5 All of that said, I have no idea how that game goes, Burg could stop the run and Portsmouth was still great against the past including an All-American db Antonio Malone who got some NFL looks. The difference might be that if Burg was able to significantly scheme against those backs the PHS passing game was nothing special at all that year, nothing that you could rely on to beat a state title caliber team and that could be the difference.

#ReachHigher
Riding the Bench

Post by #ReachHigher »

Portsmouth98 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:32 pm Ok,
#1. 2000 and 2001 had some similar skill players and defensive backs but had different Qb's ,linebackers and almost completely different lines and were not equal in terms of skills or accomplishments.

#2. Saying the 2000 team had no defense is either lazy or insincere. You have to have internet to post here so the scores are readily available to look up and see their defense was amazing that year. They gave up 10.0 points a game, they only gave up more than 14 points 3 times in 14 games, one of those was a 62-26 blowout against Miami Trace. They held the D5 State Champ to 6 points that year, and played 3 d4 playoff schools that combined for 7 points, they also held their first 2 playoff opponents to 12 combined points.

#3 The schedule was actually pretty decent for a d3 school. They played three tough playoff teams in Amanda Clearcreek, Ironton and Minford. Three decent teams, Chillicothe and Amanda Clearcreek who were larger teams around the .500 mark and Burg who was a d4 playoff team. Waverly had some talent but were young and finished .500. Rock Hill, Vinton County and Linsley, Wv were pretty bad that year.

#4 You probably didn't see a running attack like that this year. You had 4 seniors and a junior on the line, 3 of which got college rides if I remember correctly, 3 great blocking backs and 2 stud halfbacks in Jeremy Hamrick (UC recruit 4.4 40) Jo Jo Parker (D3 offensive player of the year and I believe is one of the top career rushers at Fairmont State College).

#5 All of that said, I have no idea how that game goes, Burg could stop the run and Portsmouth was still great against the past including an All-American db Antonio Malone who got some NFL looks. The difference might be that if Burg was able to significantly scheme against those backs the PHS passing game was nothing special at all that year, nothing that you could rely on to beat a state title caliber team and that could be the difference.
You may want to start another thread....this one is 2017 Burg vs 2001 Trojans. No one said anything about the 00 defense. I did talk about the 01 defense, and yes the 2001 defense was sub-par compared to this 17 Burg unit. Different teams, yes I know, but if we are being hypothetical like the post says, then numbers do count. We heard the same thing about running attack for 3 weeks and they all got shut down. Bottom line is, there is no way to know. Kind of a pointless thread in my opinion.

Portsmouth98
All State

Post by Portsmouth98 »

#ReachHigher wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:22 pm
Portsmouth98 wrote:
You may want to start another thread....this one is 2017 Burg vs 2001 Trojans. No one said anything about the 00 defense. I did talk about the 01 defense, and yes the 2001 defense was sub-par compared to this 17 Burg unit. Different teams, yes I know, but if we are being hypothetical like the post says, then numbers do count. We heard the same thing about running attack for 3 weeks and they all got shut down. Bottom line is, there is no way to know. Kind of a pointless thread in my opinion.
You are correct sir, I saw a lot of people mentioning 00 and 01 and I thought the topic was either / or.

Defense and Oline were really bad early in 01, but got better by the end of the year, especially against the run. They could be thrown on though, as Waverly and Licking Valley showed in the playoffs, still a great team and could definitely win but 'Burg would be the favorite for sure.

#ReachHigher
Riding the Bench

Post by #ReachHigher »

Portsmouth98 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:13 pm
#ReachHigher wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:22 pm
Portsmouth98 wrote:
You are correct sir, I saw a lot of people mentioning 00 and 01 and I thought the topic was either / or.

Defense and Oline were really bad early in 01, but got better by the end of the year, especially against the run. They could be thrown on though, as Waverly and Licking Valley showed in the playoffs, still a great team and could definitely win but 'Burg would be the favorite for sure.
You are correct though. The 00 squad was the better of the 2 by far and it’s not even close. The best Trojan team ever in my opinion

Return to “Football”