2018 Portsmouth Trojans Football Outlook

Beergoggleblues
Waterboy

Re: Portsmouth Football Coach

Post by Beergoggleblues »

Nothing yet. Was told the 20th. That had past. Its still not posted. Id say it's a internal hire. Hopefully should know pretty soon if there doing in house or something. I know the kids are wondering who is leading this team next year.

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

I was told it's definitely an internal hire. They will NOT be opening it to outside candidates. They will hire the new coach at the next board meeting. I believe she said the January 12 meeting.

Beergoggleblues
Waterboy

It's in fellows. Just got the word. Kalb is the new coach. Well a reliable source just told me

Beergoggleblues
Waterboy

Re: Who will take over in Portsmouth

Kalb got the job.

PtownClown
Freshman Team

Post by PtownClown »

If true it’s a good hire. Why wouldn’t you hire someone from the current staff that was a part of Back to back non losing seasons? Not only is Bruce a great coach but more importantly he is a great man, father, and husband. Not to mention he is very intelligent. With him in charge and Matiz, Mayo, Cagogen, and Born on board I dont see how Portsmouth could have a much better staff. Again he faces many obstacles/ challenges but if he can withstand the current administration ( they won’t be around forever) and get the parents on board with allowing him to be more hands-on at the pee wee level, I truly believe that he will be able to finish what AD started, which is a more respectable football program. I just wanna remind all the coach bashers out there again...6-4 and 5-5 the last two seasons... the best seasons PHS has had in a long time... I know this past season was a disappointment to some but considering the injuries to your top running back as well as your future D1 lineman, the depth is just not there to overcome those type of losses. Again if true, big congrats to Bruce! Just like AD, another person you should want your kids around as much as possible.

trojan_85
Waterboy

Post by trojan_85 »

Ptownclown i hope to god you were being sarcastic or are you really a clown

Beergoggleblues
Waterboy

I was really hoping the offense ran would be gone with a new hire. But we hired our offensive coordinator. Nothing will change. We need to throw that playbook and qb sneaks in the trash can. I'll be there every game no matter what. They wanted to hire within. There was not a thought of hiring outside the walls. That's sad. I'm sure there was some interest from others

PtownClown
Freshman Team

Post by PtownClown »

Trojan-85:

Sarcasm? Not at all
Have been called a clown before though
U used to go to PHS? 85 grad?
Trojans had a great team in 1984
U play football?
Power football is what they played that year
Killed almost everybody they played
Boomer Reid was a stud
Last edited by PtownClown on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trojan_85
Waterboy

Post by trojan_85 »

Exactly right and yes he was , that's the type of football they need to go back to these bubble screens , QB sneaks , option plays don't work or we just don't execute them correctly

Osu fan
Waterboy

Post by Osu fan »

Can any Trojan posters out there provide some details about the new head coach, i.e. previous coaching experience etc? Best of luck to the new coach and the Trojans, every week except week 10. The word up here is that the administration didn't support the previous coaching staff? Evidently not true, if the hire came from within.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Beergoggleblues wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:34 pm I was really hoping the offense ran would be gone with a new hire. But we hired our offensive coordinator. Nothing will change. We need to throw that playbook and qb sneaks in the trash can. I'll be there every game no matter what. They wanted to hire within. There was not a thought of hiring outside the walls. That's sad. I'm sure there was some interest from others
Do you even know that they have the money to offer an outsider??? I mean everyone always screams outsider but there's just so much more that goes into it than saying, yeah let's get an outsider. Presto it's done, if it were only that easy all schools that were struggling would go get an outsider to try and rebuild their program.

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

That's a good point on the money. Is Kalb a teacher?

Beergoggleblues
Waterboy

I didn't think about money. So if you are a teacher there you coach for free? Because there already on the payroll. I really don't know how it works. If a outsider wanted the job does that mean they have to teach at the school? Does bringing a person from another area cost alot of money. Do you have to be a teacher. What if John doe from Portsmouth who doesn't teach and works a regular job. Is he not getting it because he's not a teacher. Dumb questions but I don't know.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Beergoggleblues wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:30 pm I didn't think about money. So if you are a teacher there you coach for free? Because there already on the payroll. I really don't know how it works. If a outsider wanted the job does that mean they have to teach at the school? Does bringing a person from another area cost alot of money. Do you have to be a teacher. What if John doe from Portsmouth who doesn't teach and works a regular job. Is he not getting it because he's not a teacher. Dumb questions but I don't know.
Coaching salaries are separate from the teaching salaries. Different schools have different rules about if the coach has to teach at the school. I know at Coal Grove if a coaching position is open and a teacher is interested but they hire someone who does not work at the school, then both the teacher and the person they hire gets paid the salary. So it costs the district double. Sometimes that means they lose out on a more qualified coach from the outside because a teacher applied for it as well.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Generally you do like your head coaches to be teachers because I think they are invested more into the school district. Not just a hired gun. I hope whoever the new coach is, they will bring Portsmouth football back up to a competitive level. I wish them much success except if they ever play Burg again. Then I want to watch them get their teeth kicked in for that one game. Lol

Beergoggleblues
Waterboy

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:53 pm
Beergoggleblues wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:30 pm I didn't think about money. So if you are a teacher there you coach for free? Because there already on the payroll. I really don't know how it works. If a outsider wanted the job does that mean they have to teach at the school? Does bringing a person from another area cost alot of money. Do you have to be a teacher. What if John doe from Portsmouth who doesn't teach and works a regular job. Is he not getting it because he's not a teacher. Dumb questions but I don't know.
Coaching salaries are separate from the teaching salaries. Different schools have different rules about if the coach has to teach at the school. I know at Coal Grove if a coaching position is open and a teacher is interested but they hire someone who does not work at the school, then both the teacher and the person they hire gets paid the salary. So it costs the district double. Sometimes that means they lose out on a more qualified coach from the outside because a teacher applied for it as well.
Sounds a bit silly to me. If I was a teacher and knew nothing about coaching id put in for it hoping they picked them so I got the money too. I guess where I'm confused is I'm thinking it's a set amount. Like if a outsider got it they know what it pays. So paying that person the said amount is no different than a admin getting the extra. It's the same amount if a Portsmouth employee got it or someone else. I know I'm missing something. But the rule that someone got double pay because a outsider got it is silly. I'm thinking too much lol.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Beergoggleblues wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:01 pm
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:53 pm
Sounds a bit silly to me. If I was a teacher and knew nothing about coaching id put in for it hoping they picked them so I got the money too. I guess where I'm confused is I'm thinking it's a set amount. Like if a outsider got it they know what it pays. So paying that person the said amount is no different than a admin getting the extra. It's the same amount if a Portsmouth employee got it or someone else. I know I'm missing something. But the rule that someone got double pay because a outsider got it is silly. I'm thinking too much lol.
I’m not sure if any other districts have that rule like they do in Coal Grove. That is something they negotiated with their district long ago. But for example Let’s say head varsity football coach position pays $10,000/year. If I was a teacher at Coal Grove and made $40,000/year for teaching and was hired to be head coach, my yearly salary would be $50,000/year. If I was not a teacher at the school and let’s say I worked at the post office and became the head coach, then my salary from the school would only be $10,000. I’d say you can make a living being only a football coach at the bigger schools like division 1 or 2 schools.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

In the State of Ohio is not like in Texas where coaches can get paid over $100,000. I remember an AD said that Ohio you can not pay big salaries for coaches. It is restricted. It has to be negotiated by the Union anyway. Making a new positon at the school for a coach has become harder than it use to be.

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Is Kalb a teacher?

I think the money is a big part of it. Football staffs are talked about alot on this site. But really outside of a teacher or retiree, who can be off in time to be at the field everyday from August through November? That's a big commitment.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

They should have at least looked outside. Go bye I am afraid to some good players. Portsmouth never seems to get things right.

Return to “Football”