2018 Portsmouth Trojans Football Outlook

art_vandelay
SE

Re: Who will take over in Portsmouth

Post by art_vandelay »

Jared Pendleton is son-in-law of Clifford so would have the connections at Portsmouth if he's interested. Doesn't matter who they hire though until they get the lower levels straightened out. Real good numbers and talent but a whole bunch of coaches interested in their own agendas (thus the Trojans/Soldiers split). The new coach should encourage the school to go the Wheelersburg model at pee wee level and getting out of the county pee wee league altogether. Doubt it'd happen though as coaches/parents seem to have pee wee super bowl fever.*

tobehonest
Waterboy

Post by tobehonest »

Westfan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:11 am
TOUGH wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:33 am I’ve heard from a reliable source there is some mutual interest in Pendleton. I heard a lot of Portsmouth kids are training with him this off season and they want him as the coach. Someone of his pedigree could change this program. Let’s face it, Portsmouth had better athletes than the all of the teams they played this year. From an athletic standpoint, Portsmouth isn’t lacking as much as people think. Where they lack is conditioning, toughness, pride. Those things can be fixed with the right hire.
West is working on some stuff right now that will greatly improve our facilities and athletic training programs. Jared and Trevon are heavily involved in it. They aren't going anywhere
I was told that Jared bought land in Wheelersburg?

Nut
Riding the Bench

Re: Portsmouth Football Coach

Post by Nut »

I agree I think Josh is the only one ready but he has got to get rid of the offensive coaches and bring someone new in. The only other one I'd keep is Cadogen for the line. The friend bs has to go.

Beergoggleblues
Waterboy

Post by Beergoggleblues »

Rumor is Friday we find out. Announcing Duncan left and new guy. Also been told Duncan's brother left as well.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

tobehonest wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:51 pm
Westfan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:11 am
TOUGH wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:33 am I’ve heard from a reliable source there is some mutual interest in Pendleton. I heard a lot of Portsmouth kids are training with him this off season and they want him as the coach. Someone of his pedigree could change this program. Let’s face it, Portsmouth had better athletes than the all of the teams they played this year. From an athletic standpoint, Portsmouth isn’t lacking as much as people think. Where they lack is conditioning, toughness, pride. Those things can be fixed with the right hire.
West is working on some stuff right now that will greatly improve our facilities and athletic training programs. Jared and Trevon are heavily involved in it. They aren't going anywhere
I was told that Jared bought land in Wheelersburg?
Don't know about that. I know he likes being here.

What Portsmouth needs to think is say Trevon Pendelton, Tom Kaskey, etc would take the job and a couple years later West or Wheelersburg come open again, Portsmouth will be starting over again.

I think they should hire Cadogan. He's from there and can relate to the players. Portsmouth is a long way from being competitive. They have to build.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

TOUGH wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:40 am If they ever want to be a head coach and run their own program they are going to have to leave. Coach Johnson was just a recent hire and is a young guy himself. I heard he bought a house and moved down here permanently. Sounds like he’s here to stay. Nothing would surprise me with our job. I think we can offer a coach a lot more than most think. We have one of the highest supplemental contracts for coaches in the area. We also have the best facilities in the area besides Jackson. Between stadium, locker room and weight room our setup is that of a small college. I also know we pay a lot more assistants than many of the teams in the area. Heck, we had like 13 coaches on sidelines this past season. Plus the administration has started going to the younger generation for coaches. Look at the recent hires of other varsity coaches. I think this would be the perfect hire. Hopefully Portsmouth goes after him. West already has their coach in Johnson
13 coaches???? How many did you have the team this year, heck that's what 3-4 kids per coach to work with. Obvious the number of coaches on the sidelines doesn't mean anything.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

art_vandelay wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:04 pm Jared Pendleton is son-in-law of Clifford so would have the connections at Portsmouth if he's interested. Doesn't matter who they hire though until they get the lower levels straightened out. Real good numbers and talent but a whole bunch of coaches interested in their own agendas (thus the Trojans/Soldiers split). The new coach should encourage the school to go the Wheelersburg model at pee wee level and getting out of the county pee wee league altogether. Doubt it'd happen though as coaches/parents seem to have pee wee super bowl fever.*

Burg was in the pee wee league as the Outlaws. They just folded a few years back

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Thoughts are,from my reading here, is that over the years you have all these friends and players coaching there. One gets canned or quits and then another one of group gets picked. So the new Coach doesn’t see that all the friends and players might be problem and keeps them all or some and it’s a cycle that keeps on perpetuating itself. How do you tell your buddies or friends that you don’t want them on staff and still be friends with them. So they just keep the cycle going and if people hiring at some point don’t try and break the friend cycle or the group cycle , things stay the same. Point is ,why keep doing same pattern with same results. Seen this in a few districts but eventually as people retire and you get fresh faces in key positions things change and you look back and say why wasn’t this done years ago.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

It will be an insides hire for the Trojans.

I know one guy who could have probably convinced Parker to stay, though. LOL

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

Inside hire.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

madpolecat wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:34 am It will be an insides hire for the Trojans.

I know one guy who could have probably convinced Parker to stay, though. LOL
You don’t hire a coach because of one or 2 players are threatening to leave or stay. Parker and Boehm could both play great and they still won't win 3 games next year. They have to build and it's gonna be a long process

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

14U wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:52 am
art_vandelay wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:04 pm Jared Pendleton is son-in-law of Clifford so would have the connections at Portsmouth if he's interested. Doesn't matter who they hire though until they get the lower levels straightened out. Real good numbers and talent but a whole bunch of coaches interested in their own agendas (thus the Trojans/Soldiers split). The new coach should encourage the school to go the Wheelersburg model at pee wee level and getting out of the county pee wee league altogether. Doubt it'd happen though as coaches/parents seem to have pee wee super bowl fever.*

Burg was in the pee wee league as the Outlaws. They just folded a few years back
I am pretty sure the Outlaws only existed for 2-3 years. The Burg 5/6th grade program has existed for a long time and does not allow parents to coach and I believe that may have been the reason this team formed for a couple years, but wasn't able to last. Rogue teams like that usually have their own agendas as mentioned above and are not sustainable.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

14U wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:52 am

That wasn’t a school affiliated team. That was a”travel” team started by parents.

football freak
Waterboy

Post by football freak »

#1 this job hasn't even been posted!
#2 I talked to a close friend of their family and he said neither of them has been approached at this point. didn't say whether they would be interested

trojan_85
Waterboy

Post by trojan_85 »

cadogen is not the man for the job he might be a nice guy and played at penn st. but can you honestly say the offensive line has gotten any better after his hire , no way if anything it"s as bad as iv"e ever seen or worse they need to get rid of everyone on down to the water boy

trojan_85
Waterboy

Post by trojan_85 »

your HEAD COACH is only as good as the coaches you surround him with and with the assistants we have it doesn"t matter who you hire .

seopcommenter
Riding the Bench
Location: i like to back my statemints up with historical factoids

Post by seopcommenter »

football guy needed

must beelive in the three i's

intentsity
integrety
Hindsight

only then will the spartans become grate again

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Wow, does Portsmouth have a big booster base, if so what if revenue shrivels up more. This all trickles down in the big pictures of all athlete sports. Sounds like they really have no concern for different ideas and we’re going to do what we want attitude. Is attraction of students a priority or losing students gradually. Nelsonville got it right and paying huge dividends.

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Here’s a humorous thought. Wheelersburg Pirates battle cry was Reach Higher, what is Portsmouth’mine in this situation would be. Reach Lower. Anyone else

hbk1999
JV Team

Post by hbk1999 »

How is one of the three I’s hindsight?

Smdh

Return to “Football”