2018 SOC2 Football

fbnut
SEOP

Re: 2018 SOC 2 OUTLOOK?

Post by fbnut »

I think the burg fans have heard every offseason for years that they lost to much and won’t be as good. The burg will field a very talented team next year. Skill position wise they will be very hard for teams to matchup with. May see a little smaller quicker D-line. I have confidence the burg coaches will put a solid o-line on the feild.

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Portsmouth98 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:42 pm I would think Valley would start to show some more improvement this year. When is the last time they had 3 losing seasons in a row? I would imagine it was the early 90's.
Valley since 2000

2000—5-5
2001—8-2
2002—8-2
2003—8-2
2004—7-3
2005—11-2

Enter SOC2

2006—5-5
2007—4-6
2008—5-5
2009—7-3
2010—8-2
2011—12-1. SOC2 champs
2012—12-1. SOC2 champs
2013—11-1. SOC2 champs
2014—11-3
2015—9-2
2016—1-9
2017—3-7

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

The outlook for SOC II in 2018 is similar to 2017, let's face it. Burg, then West should be very good also. Out of conference schedule for Burg is the toughest yet.

Burg success is sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy now, everyone has bought in, that momentum is ridiculously hard to duplicate or start, but once you have it you have it. Very similar to a Coldwater, Marion Local, Hartley type of mentality now among players and staff and community. Kids will respond to the expectations I think.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Abe Froman wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:04 am The outlook for SOC II in 2018 is similar to 2017, let's face it. Burg, then West should be very good also. Out of conference schedule for Burg is the toughest yet.

Burg success is sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy now, everyone has bought in, that momentum is ridiculously hard to duplicate or start, but once you have it you have it. Very similar to a Coldwater, Marion Local, Hartley type of mentality now among players and staff and community. Kids will respond to the expectations I think.
Yep they say it takes money to make money. Well in sports it takes success to make success, kids want to play for ball clubs that win. Look no farther than the number of kids these small schools are producing on their team. Yeah you'll graduate a really good class and maybe the class below isn't quite as good but you know what the they'll get you 8-10 wins because they've been around that success and know what it takes to achieve it. Now Waverly has had some success last couple years but they've had some pretty talented players come through, so let's see what happens with their program this year. Do they reload and end up with 7 wins or better which would be good considering what skilled players they're replacing. Or does it take time for those players to figure things out and they end up 5-5 ball club because of their schedule.

Said it in an earlier post but I honestly believe not really next year but I think the 2019 season you could see one of the most talented SOC II divisions from top to bottom then we've seen in quite a while. If that happens with players I've seen and know that's coming up that could hold serve for the SOC II for at least a couple 2-3 years in terms of parity within the league.

Osu fan
Waterboy

Post by Osu fan »

Have to believe the SOC 2 is Burgs to lose next year and the year after next, and the year after that, and well you get the point.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Osu fan wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:12 pm Have to believe the SOC 2 is Burgs to lose next year and the year after next, and the year after that, and well you get the point.
I have to agree with u. With the number of gold balls the burg have won I'd have to say they pretty much are a fav every yr no matter how much talent they have.

I do however believe that next yr imo will be the same with wk 10 between burg and west at the rock will decide the gold ball but in 2019 I think it might be a lil more evenly matched

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Piratefan2
Varsity

Post by Piratefan2 »

1. Burg
2. West
3. Minford
4. Waverly
5. Valley

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

I really don't understand what happened to Valley. They were so strong and consistently good for years. I get that Darren gave that one class all the playing time so there wasn't much development for the next class, but the cupboard shouldn't be this empty. The drop off is shocking to me. Would like to see them return to prominence again.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Otto wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:46 pm I really don't understand what happened to Valley. They were so strong and consistently good for years. I get that Darren gave that one class all the playing time so there wasn't much development for the next class, but the cupboard shouldn't be this empty. The drop off is shocking to me. Would like to see them return to prominence again.
Doesn’t have the jimmys and joes to compete

jgrlzz
Freshman Team

2018 SOC2 Football Outlook

Post by jgrlzz »

UPDATED 1/10/2018

LUCASVILLE VALLEY
24-Aug-18 H PORTSMOUTH
31-Aug-18 H COAL GROVE DAWSON-BRYANT
7-Sep-18 A PIKETON
14-Sep-18
21-Sep-18
28-Sep-18 H WAVERLY
5-Oct-18 A PORTSMOUTH WEST
12-Oct-18 H BELPRE
19-Oct-18 A WHEELERSBURG
26-Oct-18 H MINFORD

MINFORD
24-Aug-18 A IRONTON ROCK HILL
31-Aug-18 H OAK HILL
7-Sep-18 H NELSONVILLE-YORK
14-Sep-18 A MCDERMOTT NORTHWEST
21-Sep-18 A WILLIAMSBURG
28-Sep-18 H PORTSMOUTH WEST
5-Oct-18 A MCARTHUR VINTON COUNTY
12-Oct-18 A WHEELERSBURG
19-Oct-18 H WAVERLY
26-Oct-18 A LUCASVILLE VALLEY

PORTSMOUTH WEST
24-Aug-18 A SOUTH POINT
31-Aug-18 A PORTSMOUTH
7-Sep-18 H COAL GROVE DAWSON-BRYANT
14-Sep-18 H WELLSTON
21-Sep-18 H RACELAND
28-Sep-18 A MINFORD
5-Oct-18 H LUCASVILLE VALLEY
12-Oct-18 A WAVERLY
19-Oct-18
26-Oct-18 H WHEELERSBURG

WAVERLY
24-Aug-18 A PIKETON
31-Aug-18 H CHILLICOTHE ZANE TRACE
7-Sep-18 A CHILLICOTHE UNIOTO
14-Sep-18 H PROCTORVILLE FAIRLAND
21-Sep-18 H NELSONVILLE-YORK
28-Sep-18 A LUCASVILLE VALLEY
5-Oct-18 H WHEELERSBURG
12-Oct-18 H PORTSMOUTH WEST
19-Oct-18 A MINFORD
26-Oct-18

WHEELERSBURG
24-Aug-18 H IRONTON
31-Aug-18 A COLUMBUS BISHOP HARTLEY
7-Sep-18 H HEATH
14-Sep-18 A COLUMBUS BISHOP WATERSON
21-Sep-18 H JACKSON
28-Sep-18 A OAK HILL, OH
5-Oct-18 A WAVERLY
12-Oct-18 H MINFORD
19-Oct-18 H LUCASVILLE VALLEY
26-Oct-18 A PORTSMOUTH WEST
Last edited by jgrlzz on Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: SOC-DIVISION 2

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

very nice schedule by the burg.
that's the way you build programs.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Izladoom
All State

Post by Izladoom »

JTEK wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:14 pm
Otto wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:46 pm I really don't understand what happened to Valley. They were so strong and consistently good for years. I get that Darren gave that one class all the playing time so there wasn't much development for the next class, but the cupboard shouldn't be this empty. The drop off is shocking to me. Would like to see them return to prominence again.

Exactly they just don’t have the talent that they had in the past they do have a lot of talent coming up and will be back it’s just going to take awhile.

Sports-nut
JV Team

Post by Sports-nut »

greygoose wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:03 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:04 am The outlook for SOC II in 2018 is similar to 2017, let's face it. Burg, then West should be very good also. Out of conference schedule for Burg is the toughest yet.

Yep they say it takes money to make money. Well in sports it takes success to make success, kids want to play for ball clubs that win. Look no farther than the number of kids these small schools are producing on their team. Yeah you'll graduate a really good class and maybe the class below isn't quite as good but you know what the they'll get you 8-10 wins because they've been around that success and know what it takes to achieve it. Now Waverly has had some success last couple years but they've had some pretty talented players come through, so let's see what happens with their program this year. Do they reload and end up with 7 wins or better which would be good considering what skilled players they're replacing. Or does it take time for those players to figure things out and they end up 5-5 ball club because of their schedule.

Said it in an earlier post but I honestly believe not really next year but I think the 2019 season you could see one of the most talented SOC II divisions from top to bottom then we've seen in quite a while. If that happens with players I've seen and know that's coming up that could hold serve for the SOC II for at least a couple 2-3 years in terms of parity within the league.

Waverly will be just fine. The Tigers started 2 freshmen for a bunch of the season. Throw in the sophomores and jrs who started , the Tigers bring back a lot of experience. The question for the Tigers is gonna be the losses at QB and lines. Crabtree has revamped his entire program from pee wee to Jr High and it is starting to show.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Izladoom wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:03 pm
JTEK wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:14 pm

Exactly they just don’t have the talent that they had in the past they do have a lot of talent coming up and will be back it’s just going to take awhile.
Not trying to be a smart_ss, but where is all this talent at.
I know the 7th grade has some talent.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Sports-nut wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:30 pm
greygoose wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:03 pm

Waverly will be just fine. The Tigers started 2 freshmen for a bunch of the season. Throw in the sophomores and jrs who started , the Tigers bring back a lot of experience. The question for the Tigers is gonna be the losses at QB and lines. Crabtree has revamped his entire program from pee wee to Jr High and it is starting to show.
Guess it depends on what your definition of fine is. If it's 4-6 wins probably right they will be just fine. I stated will they reload is going to be the question. Yes, they had couple freshman starting in the secondary. I believe they have Booker back, think he was only a junior but how does he return after that injury hard to tell. Let's just analyze your statement for a second, the QB was what 2-3 year starter going to be replaced by a sophomore, lost 20+ touch TB in Kritz, lost what 2 Wrs who made the plays for them, and you just stated losses on the lines, not sure how many that is. However, that is HUGE to just willy nilly say....eh they'll be fine is a reach, unless your definition of fine is 4/5 win season then yeah you're probably right. I like what Crabtree has done and where it could be headed but the 2018 is a season where we find out does Waverly reload and still manage 7-8 wins or do they go through a growing year of 4-5 wins. For that I think time will tell, they've got some playmakers in the lower ranks including Shanks with the big arm but will it come together for them. We'll find out.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Problem with Waverly never has been offense. It's toughness. They seem to be soft and struggle to stop power running year after year

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

Burg may have some issues on defense with all they are losing but with that offense they have coming back, maybe they will have to win some games 50-40!!!!

The SOC2 is the Burg's to lose

scott1297
All Conference

Post by scott1297 »

Burgs defense may be a little smaller next year but they will still have the athletes that fly to the ball and tackle very well. But Burgs schedule will be tough especially week #2. As far as the SOC 'll goes I see Burg #1 and either West or Valley at #2 and Minford might sneak in there but I think them and Waverly will be 4th or 5th

Burg grad 85
Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

scott1297 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:44 pm Burgs defense may be a little smaller next year but they will still have the athletes that fly to the ball and tackle very well. But Burgs schedule will be tough especially week #2. As far as the SOC 'll goes I see Burg #1 and either West or Valley at #2 and Minford might sneak in there but I think them and Waverly will be 4th or 5th
Valley is still a long ways away.

If West has a good offseason I think they will close the gap considerably and possibly be a favorite in the game. West returns a bunch of good players. Need to rebuild the line, but the core of the defense is back including 8 or 9 kids who have started games on defense.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Westfan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:54 am
scott1297 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:44 pm Burgs defense may be a little smaller next year but they will still have the athletes that fly to the ball and tackle very well. But Burgs schedule will be tough especially week #2. As far as the SOC 'll goes I see Burg #1 and either West or Valley at #2 and Minford might sneak in there but I think them and Waverly will be 4th or 5th
Valley is still a long ways away.

If West has a good offseason I think they will close the gap considerably and possibly be a favorite in the game. West returns a bunch of good players. Need to rebuild the line, but the core of the defense is back including 8 or 9 kids who have started games on defense.
EASY, possibly favorite???? That's having a HUGE offseason and the assumption Burg falls off quite a bit. Final this year was 41-7 and that TD was right out the gate on missed tackles, but to close that much of a gap and say possible favorite is a far reach. West will probably go into the game 8-1/9-0 not sure their entire schedule, Coal Grove lost quite a bit of talent so should take that game and Raceland typically is quality opponent but more than likely they'll be undefeated. Burg will go into the game with similar record but having played a tougher schedule. Honestly afraid that with Burg's number of kids and the success level they're reaching year in and year out that, unless someone has just a REALLY good group come through, SOC 2 is probably burg then everyone else for the foreseeable future.

Return to “Football”