2018 SOC2 Football

Poo Bear
SEOP

Re: 2018 SOC 2 Football Offseason Talk and Outlook

Post by Poo Bear »

Oak wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:54 pm Wheelersburg sports in general but predominantly basketball and football.

Ok , wasn't sure because Oak Hill Oaks basketball team was an aau team.

Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Not sure what Oak Hill has to do with this subject. In my opinion any kind of recruiting is wrong.

Injun
Waterboy

Post by Injun »

So what would happen if it was proven that someone that isn't an employee of the school was giving benefits to a player or his family to entice them to go to a school?

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Getting deep on here fellas

Injun
Waterboy

Post by Injun »

From some things I've heard it sounds like a fairly legitimate question.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Oak wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:42 pm Not sure what Oak Hill has to do with this subject. In my opinion any kind of recruiting is wrong.
I can clarify that. Your forum name is Oak. Most assume you’re an Oak Hill fan. You are accusing burg as recruiting, which is strange when Oak Hill basketball has had plenty of teams with students out of district come play over the years for Oak hills coach.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Injun wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:02 am So what would happen if it was proven that someone that isn't an employee of the school was giving benefits to a player or his family to entice them to go to a school?
If that’s proven, the student could possibly be ruled ineligible. Doubt anything happens to the person enticing. Where’s the students parent in this equation?

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Injun wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:58 am From some things I've heard it sounds like a fairly legitimate question.
Just because you hear it doesn’t mean there is any truth to it

Blitz
Varsity

Post by Blitz »

Yeah! I hear there is a guy in Kentucky named Clearance that is 11'0" tall...... there is even a sign on the bridge warning you about him when you cross to Ashland... soooo it must be TRUE!!!!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

I've been at Shawnee Summer League basketball games last couple of weeks. You start getting to know parents from other schools after being there every week for 3+ hours as well as from playing against the same athletes in other sports. I've already heard a couple of conversations between parents containing half-joking comments like "your boy would look pretty good at (insert school here)." Is that recruiting? I don't think so. The AAU basketball/travel baseball scene is the same way. Now if those casual conversations turn into regular conversations with coaches involved or having knowledge, then yeah, call it recruiting.

As for this thread, the Burg paranoia right now is off the charts. Yeah, they are gonna dominate SOC II football and basketball next year. But talk of them leaving the conference is wishful thinking. Minford baseball (and Valley as well) is finally doing something about Burg's baseball dominance. What is stopping other SOC II schools from doing the same in football? As for me, I think the Holden/Salyers combo is just that special combo that doesn't come along too often at D4-D5 schools. After they graduate, Burg still likely the yearly favorite in football, but the league will be a lot more competitive and these threads will hopefully be a thing of the past.*

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

art_vandelay wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:53 am I've been at Shawnee Summer League basketball games last couple of weeks. You start getting to know parents from other schools after being there every week for 3+ hours as well as from playing against the same athletes in other sports. I've already heard a couple of conversations between parents containing half-joking comments like "your boy would look pretty good at (insert school here)." Is that recruiting? I don't think so. The AAU basketball/travel baseball scene is the same way. Now if those casual conversations turn into regular conversations with coaches involved or having knowledge, then yeah, call it recruiting.

As for this thread, the Burg paranoia right now is off the charts. Yeah, they are gonna dominate SOC II football and basketball next year. But talk of them leaving the conference is wishful thinking. Minford baseball (and Valley as well) is finally doing something about Burg's baseball dominance. What is stopping other SOC II schools from doing the same in football? As for me, I think the Holden/Salyers combo is just that special combo that doesn't come along too often at D4-D5 schools. After they graduate, Burg still likely the yearly favorite in football, but the league will be a lot more competitive and these threads will hopefully be a thing of the past.*

Wouldn't crown burg SOC II basketball champs just yet, I know oak hill and waverly lose a good bit of players but should be just as good as last season

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
14U
S

SOC II, beefing up their schedules, rank them!

Post by 14U »

Let’s talk about the conference and who they are playing, rank the teams from the best schedule down. They all have nice schedules. It’s going to make the league tougher with big computer points!! Good Luck to all schools!

SOUTHERN OHIO CONFERENCE-DIVISION II

LUCASVILLE VALLEY
24-Aug-18 H PORTSMOUTH
31-Aug-18 H COAL GROVE DAWSON-BRYANT
7-Sep-18 A PIKETON
15-Sep-18 A RACELAND
21-Sep-18 H FAIRVIEW
28-Sep-18 H WAVERLY
5-Oct-18 A PORTSMOUTH WEST
12-Oct-18 H BELPRE
19-Oct-18 A WHEELERSBURG
26-Oct-18 H MINFORD

MINFORD
24-Aug-18 A IRONTON ROCK HILL
31-Aug-18 H OAK HILL
7-Sep-18 H NELSONVILLE-YORK
14-Sep-18 A MCDERMOTT NORTHWEST
21-Sep-18 A WILLIAMSBURG, OH
28-Sep-18 H PORTSMOUTH WEST
5-Oct-18 A MCARTHUR VINTON COUNTY
12-Oct-18 A WHEELERSBURG
19-Oct-18 H WAVERLY
26-Oct-18 A LUCASVILLE VALLEY

PORTSMOUTH WEST
24-Aug-18 A SOUTH POINT
31-Aug-18 A PORTSMOUTH
7-Sep-18 H COAL GROVE DAWSON-BRYANT
14-Sep-18 H WELLSTON
21-Sep-18 H RACELAND
28-Sep-18 A MINFORD
5-Oct-18 H LUCASVILLE VALLEY
12-Oct-18 A WAVERLY
20-Oct-18 N WHEELING CENTRAL, WV
26-Oct-18 H WHEELERSBURG

WAVERLY
24-Aug-18 A PIKETON
31-Aug-18 H CHILLICOTHE ZANE TRACE
7-Sep-18 A CHILLICOTHE UNIOTO
14-Sep-18 H PROCTORVILLE FAIRLAND
21-Sep-18 H NELSONVILLE-YORK
28-Sep-18 A LUCASVILLE VALLEY
5-Oct-18 H WHEELERSBURG
12-Oct-18 H PORTSMOUTH WEST
19-Oct-18 A MINFORD
26-Oct-18 H LOGAN, OH

WHEELERSBURG
24-Aug-18 H IRONTON
31-Aug-18 A COLUMBUS BISHOP HARTLEY
7-Sep-18 H HEATH
14-Sep-18 A COLUMBUS BISHOP WATERSON
21-Sep-18 H JACKSON
28-Sep-18 A OAK HILL, OH
5-Oct-18 A WAVERLY
12-Oct-18 H MINFORD
19-Oct-18 H LUCASVILLE VALLEY
26-Oct-18 A PORTSMOUTH WEST

14U
S

Re: SOC II, beefing up their schedules, rank them!

Post by 14U »

Looking at SOC II schedules I think Burg holds the best schedule but the others are right behind them in power of schedule. I put waverly #3 because they are a bigger school and the schedule they have is who they should be playing every year!!

1. Burg
2. Valley
3. Waverly
4. Minford
5. West

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Interesting burg doesn’t play a Scioto co team until week 8

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Wheelersburg 's non conference schedule is brutal for a D5 team, but iron sharpens iron. The other teams skeds are middle of the road in terms of difficulty.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

14U wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:11 am Looking at SOC II schedules I think Burg holds the best schedule but the others are right behind them in power of schedule. I put waverly #3 because they are a bigger school and the schedule they have is who they should be playing every year!!

1. Burg
2. Valley
3. Waverly
4. Minford
5. West

Waverly being very picky on who they want to play similar to their size, as they've been playing Zane trace and unioto fairly recently that are close in numbers

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Kicker. wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:35 pm
14U wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:11 am Looking at SOC II schedules I think Burg holds the best schedule but the others are right behind them in power of schedule. I put waverly #3 because they are a bigger school and the schedule they have is who they should be playing every year!!

1. Burg
2. Valley
3. Waverly
4. Minford
5. West

Waverly being very picky on who they want to play similar to their size, as they've been playing Zane trace and unioto fairly recently that are close in numbers
Zane Trace and Unioto makes sense.
They also picked up NY home and home and D2 Logan.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Wheelersburg has the toughest schedule, no doubt. But the others are right neck and neck. I would give Valley the 2nd toughest considering they are DVI. Then Minford with Waverly and West finishing it up. Waverly has 4 EASY games to start the season as does West. But the DII Logan game separates those 2.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Omega wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:35 am Wheelersburg 's non conference schedule is brutal for a D5 team, but iron sharpens iron. The other teams skeds are middle of the road in terms of difficulty.
I wouldn't say their schedule is brutal or they're playing iron unless some of those teams really improve from last year. Hartley I'll give you that one, and much credit to burg for pulling in that game. The others let's look at the scores, Ironton 48-3, Heath 41-0, Waterson 47-17, and Jackson 38-14. I look for ironton and Jackson to be improved but to close that much of a gap probably not.

West has a tough schedule they just don't have that landmark opponent like Hartley, some of the teams on their schedule will be improved from last year and you'll see Coal Grove dip down.

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Raceland, Coal Grove, and Wheeling Central are good non conference games for West. South Point is a snoozer, but Fairland cut and ran. Portsmouth is so so.

Wheeling won their State Title. Raceland was Runner Up. Both return alot.

Return to “Football”