2018 SOC2 Football

Blitz
Varsity

Re: 2018 SOC 2 Football Offseason Talk and Outlook

Post by Blitz »

Injun wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 12:34 am A couple of the middle school kids mentioned here to my knowledge have never lost to Wheelersburg in football or basketball. In fact the scores I've seen have been very one sided wins against Wheelersburg. So loosing or the threat of loosing isn't it.

I thought it was funny that one of the kids mentioned here wants to play a certain position in football and his father told people he was told he would have an opportunity to play that position at Wheelersburg. Wonder where that info came from? But they don't recruit :roll:
the Valley kid lost to burg at home in basketball... great comeback by burg

Injun
Waterboy

Post by Injun »

Wasn't that also the game that Crabtree sat his starters for most of the game

Valley full go pre transfers beats Wheelersburg as bad as they want every time

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Injun wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:40 pm Wasn't that also the game that Crabtree sat his starters for most of the game

Are we still talking junior high?

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

wobycat wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:28 pm
Injun wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:40 pm Wasn't that also the game that Crabtree sat his starters for most of the game

Are we still talking junior high?

7th grade at that lol.

Crabtree sat the starters for about the last 3 minutes of the 3rd quarter and about the first 2 minutes of the 4th quarter but Burg had made their comeback before he sat them. They just went cold on both ends of the floor and Burg was firing on all cylinders. Heck of a game.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

There isn't a Crabtree that coaches Jr. High Basketball at Valley.

From my view, I do not think that the coaches at Wheelersburg "recruit" anyone. The football and baseball programs recruit themselves. Period. Do I feel there is a parent/community member doing things surrounding the basketball program? Yes I do. Do I feel as though the basketball staff has something to do with it? That I am not sure of. But I do know there are things that don't add up when it comes to things surrounding the basketball program.

Anyone that pays attention to basketball at Wheelersburg knows what I am talking about.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

These younger kids and there parents get with a group of kids on travel ball teams that are predominately burg kids and them and there parents get hooked. It happens in baseball, basketball, softball etc. It may just be a kid filling in for a weekend or tournament and there hooked.

Injun
Waterboy

Post by Injun »

Crab's Brother wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:43 am There isn't a Crabtree that coaches Jr. High Basketball at Valley.

From my view, I do not think that the coaches at Wheelersburg "recruit" anyone. The football and baseball programs recruit themselves. Period. Do I feel there is a parent/community member doing things surrounding the basketball program? Yes I do. Do I feel as though the basketball staff has something to do with it? That I am not sure of. But I do know there are things that don't add up when it comes to things surrounding the basketball program.

Anyone that pays attention to basketball at Wheelersburg knows what I am talking about.
Bingo. You are correct on basketball. But it happens the same way in football. The staff targets kids they want and they use others to insulate themselves.

For those that say this is silly it came straight from the mouth of one of the assistant coaches that the coaches are aware of certain players at the middle school level. And the 1st name he mentioned signed up open enrollment.

Is this hearsay? Yes. Is a parent telling people that he was told his kid would have an opportunity to play a certain position hearsay? Yes. Is a former Varsity head coach telling he was contacted by Wheelersburg administration and told certain players were gonna be there hearsay? Yes.

As far as travel teams. A couple of the kids listed played 1 summer of baseball together 3 years ago. No basketball together and the basketball teams they played on had no burg kids. So thats not it.

4 to 6 kids with basically no prior affiliation with each other is more than coincidence. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its probably a duck. Paperwork needs to be filed when the transfers are final because this stuff needs to stop. They are getting more brazing all the time.

Alot will tell if Wheelersburg lets the 7th grader to be in around kids who signed up earlier in a full class to get the athletic older brother.

Didn’t Wheelersburg go through this last year with a freshman basketball player who happened to play on an AAU team with large association with Matt Miller?

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Without knowing any of these kids I’ll add my 2 cents. While following the football team this year throughout the playoffs, each game I began to notice more and more people from different local schools attending the games. I noticed by the state game some people that I vaguely know were in attendance and were no longer wearing there school colors but them and their kids were wearing burg colors. I thought to myself at the time some of these families are getting sucked in and will be at the burg in the fall. No better recruiting tool than winning.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Injun wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 9:11 am
Crab's Brother wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:43 am There isn't a Crabtree that coaches Jr. High Basketball at Valley.

Bingo. You are correct on basketball. But it happens the same way in football. The staff targets kids they want and they use others to insulate themselves.

For those that say this is silly it came straight from the mouth of one of the assistant coaches that the coaches are aware of certain players at the middle school level. And the 1st name he mentioned signed up open enrollment.

Is this hearsay? Yes. Is a parent telling people that he was told his kid would have an opportunity to play a certain position hearsay? Yes. Is a former Varsity head coach telling he was contacted by Wheelersburg administration and told certain players were gonna be there hearsay? Yes.

As far as travel teams. A couple of the kids listed played 1 summer of baseball together 3 years ago. No basketball together and the basketball teams they played on had no burg kids. So thats not it.

4 to 6 kids with basically no prior affiliation with each other is more than coincidence. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, its probably a duck. Paperwork needs to be filed when the transfers are final because this stuff needs to stop. They are getting more brazing all the time.

Alot will tell if Wheelersburg lets the 7th grader to be in around kids who signed up earlier in a full class to get the athletic older brother.

Didn’t Wheelersburg go through this last year with a freshman basketball player who happened to play on an AAU team with large association with Matt Miller?
You seem to have a lot to say on this issue. How are you involved? Who cares if a kid is asked to come play at burg? It’s the parents decision on whether the kid goes play there in the first place. That’s their fault. If you got a problem with it, talk to the parents raising them. Recruiting happens when the athlete makes the decision not the parents.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

To be the best you have to get the best, not saying all of burgs good players have been recruited, they have a very good coaching staff as it's showed over the years and is a reason to why kids would want to transfer

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Injun
Waterboy

Post by Injun »

wobycat wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:18 pm You seem to have a lot to say on this issue. How are you involved? Who cares if a kid is asked to come play at burg? It’s the parents decision on whether the kid goes play there in the first place. That’s their fault. If you got a problem with it, talk to the parents raising them. Recruiting happens when the athlete makes the decision not the parents.
1. I enjoy sports. I have no problem seeing a team have success. But when they have success illegally at the expense of other schools it is wrong.

2. If a kid is asked to come and play anywhere by anyone associated with the school it is recruiting. And that is illegal. It's unfair to the other schools who play by the rules. If schools are using people not associated with the school to contact kids for them it is hard to prove, but still illegal.

3. Absolutely parents are at fault too. Everyone wants to see your kids have success, but living through your kids is dumb.

4. Kids shouldn't be put in position to make decisions about their future. They aren't ready for that. Grown adults shouldn't be treating middle school kids like their a college recruit.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Injun wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 1:30 pm
wobycat wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 1:18 pm You seem to have a lot to say on this issue. How are you involved? Who cares if a kid is asked to come play at burg? It’s the parents decision on whether the kid goes play there in the first place. That’s their fault. If you got a problem with it, talk to the parents raising them. Recruiting happens when the athlete makes the decision not the parents.
1. I enjoy sports. I have no problem seeing a team have success. But when they have success illegally at the expense of other schools it is wrong.

2. If a kid is asked to come and play anywhere by anyone associated with the school it is recruiting. And that is illegal. It's unfair to the other schools who play by the rules. If schools are using people not associated with the school to contact kids for them it is hard to prove, but still illegal.

3. Absolutely parents are at fault too. Everyone wants to see your kids have success, but living through your kids is dumb.

4. Kids shouldn't be put in position to make decisions about their future. They aren't ready for that. Grown adults shouldn't be treating middle school kids like their a college recruit.
Telling a kid or his parents they should come play at burg outside of the coaching staff is not illegal, but regardless this falls solely on the parents. Furthermore, how do you know who’s playing by the rules?

Injun
Waterboy

Post by Injun »

When Wheelersburg got beat by Harvest Prep you were one saying they were nothing more than an AAU team.

When posters pointed to Wheelersburg out of district players on last years football team the argument was that they went to Wheelersburg since kindergarten.

Now you have this years 8th grade class that won the county basketball championship predominantly on movins and this years 7th grade class that will soon be the same.

So what will the argument be 2 or 3 years from now when they really are the Scioto County Allstars?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Injun wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 3:26 pm When Wheelersburg got beat by Harvest Prep you were one saying they were nothing more than an AAU team.

When posters pointed to Wheelersburg out of district players on last years football team the argument was that they went to Wheelersburg since kindergarten.

Now you have this years 8th grade class that won the county basketball championship predominantly on movins and this years 7th grade class that will soon be the same.

So what will the argument be 2 or 3 years from now when they really are the Scioto County Allstars?
Private schools do have a recruitment tool, their private school. They are getting a private education compared to a city public education. Burg is not a tuition school. So yeah, the team that beat burg in basketball was pretty much an AAU team pieced together. My contention is that student athletes being asked to come play by whomever are not being offered anything better, unless Burg has better school pizza. Now, if these athletes are being offered guaranteed spots or some sort of other athletic advantage, then yeah, that needs to be addressed, but you better have some proof instead of going on the fact that some guy said, you should come to burg. Other than that, the lure of winning is attracting kids' parents to look into transferring, nothing more.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

wobycat wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 4:29 pm
Injun wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 3:26 pm When Wheelersburg got beat by Harvest Prep you were one saying they were nothing more than an AAU team.

Private schools do have a recruitment tool, their private school. They are getting a private education compared to a city public education. Burg is not a tuition school. So yeah, the team that beat burg in basketball was pretty much an AAU team pieced together. My contention is that student athletes being asked to come play by whomever are not being offered anything better, unless Burg has better school pizza. Now, if these athletes are being offered guaranteed spots or some sort of other athletic advantage, then yeah, that needs to be addressed, but you better have some proof instead of going on the fact that some guy said, you should come to burg. Other than that, the lure of winning is attracting kids' parents to look into transferring, nothing more.
Bingo

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Actually only 2 players on that 8th grade team were “movins” as you put it. The rest have attended Burg their entire academic career.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Pirates must guard against the inevitable creep of complacency after achieving a monumental goal or task. A lot of pressure to continue improvement that allows a program to achieve at a high level. Be interesting to see how the staff and players react and step up, and based on what you hear they have been doing that the entire off-season. The regular season undefeated run will be tested this year with Hartley, but those are the games no matter which way it goes that help you achieve that level Burg wants.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Abe Froman wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:35 am Pirates must guard against the inevitable creep of complacency after achieving a monumental goal or task. A lot of pressure to continue improvement that allows a program to achieve at a high level. Be interesting to see how the staff and players react and step up, and based on what you hear they have been doing that the entire off-season. The regular season undefeated run will be tested this year with Hartley, but those are the games no matter which way it goes that help you achieve that level Burg wants.

That's really what this season comes down to them for, they still have remaining key pieces from that team last year and players get better but how will they treat this season

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

Any truth to the rumor that Wheelersburg may be moved to D4 this year after all? They were only 6 from D4 on this last recount. Was told that a player last year was on the team and was counted as an in district player when in fact they lived out of district. That would still be 4 from the cutoff so who knows.

Slappy
Riding the Bench

Post by Slappy »

Oak wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:01 am Any truth to the rumor that Wheelersburg may be moved to D4 this year after all? They were only 6 from D4 on this last recount. Was told that a player last year was on the team and was counted as an in district player when in fact they lived out of district. That would still be 4 from the cutoff so who knows.
Divisions and regions have already been assigned by OHSAA, Burg stayed D5 but was placed in a different region. Might be tough to get to the final 4 this year, I hear Middletown Madison will be better than last years solid team. CHCA will be a tough out also.

Return to “Football”