2018 SOC2 Football

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: SOC-DIVISION 2

Post by greygoose »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:31 pm
Chieftain2009 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:08 pm
Omega wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:52 pm Apparently Waverly has filled week ten with Logan. Likely an away game.

https://www.logandaily.com/sports/waver ... fcf02.html

Sorry about the pay wall.
This game will be at Waverly.
I know you will take this the wrong way, but why is Logan playing Waverly? Why did they play Minford last year? Why so many DIV and DV teams? Makes no sense to me.
MMMM, really it makes no sense?? Should they be playing DV-DVI?? So let's look at this and I think we can figure it out. Logan a DII school went 3-7, they beat a DIV school in Meigs who went 4-6 by a score of 26-22, not rocking anyone's world there. They beat a DV Minford team that finished 4-6 in double overtime 48-42 and Minford had what a 35-7 lead or something crazy like that. Final win was against an 0-10 Warren team 43-14. Lost to a DIII Ross team that went 1-9, 33-21. So overall Logan goes 1-7 against schools DIII and higher and from a final score standpoint wasn't even competitive in those 7 losses. Now let's look at 2016 and Logan played 2 teams that are DIV and 1 DV school and lost to all 3 by a combined score of 33-88. I think the numbers speak for themselves on whether or not Logan should be playing lower division schools given the current state of the program. Hope this helps by the way Waverly beat Minford 49-7, they didn't need a miracle comeback where Minford just blew the game. Hope this helps and makes little more sense of it, understand where you are coming from if you just look at it from why is a DII school playing these smaller schools?? Right now that's just who Logan is.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

I believe based on what I have seen last year at the frosh/JV levels that the SOCII is ours through 2020. Simple fact is the Burg football program is rolling, and will be for the foreseeable future I think.

OhioHsHelmets
Waterboy

Post by OhioHsHelmets »

4thgoal wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:58 am I saw a post on Facebook with an image of West's field with turf. If this a sure thing that is going to happen? For the 2018 season?
Where did you this at? (link please)

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:51 am I believe based on what I have seen last year at the frosh/JV levels that the SOCII is ours through 2020. Simple fact is the Burg football program is rolling, and will be for the foreseeable future I think.
Wheelersburgs JV beat our JV by a touchdown

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Westfan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:34 am
Abe Froman wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:51 am I believe based on what I have seen last year at the frosh/JV levels that the SOCII is ours through 2020. Simple fact is the Burg football program is rolling, and will be for the foreseeable future I think.
But they still won the game. Doesn’t matter by 7 or 70.

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

Omega wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:51 pm
Chieftain2009 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:08 pm

This game will be at Waverly.
I know you will take this the wrong way, but why is Logan playing Waverly? Why did they play Minford last year? Why so many DIV and DV teams? Makes no sense to me.
Logan has the burden of filling a ten game schedule as an independent, not an easy thing to do without guaranteed conference games. I understand both squads will be in a rebuilding mode so the contest should be competitive. Throw in a brief shared history in the SEOAL, scheduling the game is a no brainer for both schools
That shared history was 50 years ago. I get the tough as an independent, but I’m not sure I could get excited over cheering on that schedule.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:18 pm

Logan has the burden of filling a ten game schedule as an independent, not an easy thing to do without guaranteed conference games. I understand both squads will be in a rebuilding mode so the contest should be competitive. Throw in a brief shared history in the SEOAL, scheduling the game is a no brainer for both schools
That shared history was 50 years ago. I get the tough as an independent, but I’m not sure I could get excited over cheering on that schedule.
What more do you want??? They're not beating the lower division teams anyways and if they do it's a close game. They beat a DV Minford team that finished 4-6 in double overtime 48-42 and Minford had what a 35-7 lead or something crazy like that. Final win was against an 0-10 Warren team 43-14. Lost to a DIII Ross team that went 1-9, 33-21. So overall Logan goes 1-7 against schools DIII and higher and from a final score standpoint wasn't even competitive in those 7 losses. Now let's look at 2016 and Logan played 2 teams that are DIV and 1 DV school and lost to all 3 by a combined score of 33-88. I think the numbers speak for themselves on whether or not Logan should be playing lower division schools given the current state of the program. Hope this helps by the way Waverly beat Minford 49-7, they didn't need a miracle comeback where Minford just blew the game. Hope this helps and makes little more sense of it, understand where you are coming from if you just look at it from why is a DII school playing these smaller schools?? Right now that's just who Logan is.

Guess you'd be more excited if they were scheduling more D1 and DII schools that go out and hand it to them each Friday?? Just have to be honest where the Logan program is right now.

thebarlowbandit
All State

greygoose wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:48 pm

What more do you want??? They're not beating the lower division teams anyways and if they do it's a close game. They beat a DV Minford team that finished 4-6 in double overtime 48-42 and Minford had what a 35-7 lead or something crazy like that. Final win was against an 0-10 Warren team 43-14. Lost to a DIII Ross team that went 1-9, 33-21. So overall Logan goes 1-7 against schools DIII and higher and from a final score standpoint wasn't even competitive in those 7 losses. Now let's look at 2016 and Logan played 2 teams that are DIV and 1 DV school and lost to all 3 by a combined score of 33-88. I think the numbers speak for themselves on whether or not Logan should be playing lower division schools given the current state of the program. Hope this helps by the way Waverly beat Minford 49-7, they didn't need a miracle comeback where Minford just blew the game. Hope this helps and makes little more sense of it, understand where you are coming from if you just look at it from why is a DII school playing these smaller schools?? Right now that's just who Logan is.

Guess you'd be more excited if they were scheduling more D1 and DII schools that go out and hand it to them each Friday?? Just have to be honest where the Logan program is right now.
Paladin will tell you that this schedule is not making you better. Not exposing your young players to the skill set and level of athleticism that will be needed to compete at the level they should. But more importantly, you guys will win 7-8 games against this competition and then declare. “we are BACK”.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:08 am
greygoose wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:48 pm

Paladin will tell you that this schedule is not making you better. Not exposing your young players to the skill set and level of athleticism that will be needed to compete at the level they should. But more importantly, you guys will win 7-8 games against this competition and then declare. “we are BACK”.
For starters referencing Paladin just about made me stop reading, never use that as a source. Last 2 seasons Logan is a combined 2-3 against DIV and DV schools the 2 wins coming last year 26-22 and a crazy Minford collapse up 35-7 I think it was got Logan a win in double OT. 2016 seen them go 0-3 with a combined 33-88 points for and against. So from looking at that looks like the "skill set" is getting exposed to the exact skill level they are at and maybe a bit to much considering the teams that are beating them are sub .500 ball clubs. They went 1-7 against teams DIII or higher and there's a bunch of lower division teams that would have a running clock put on Logan last couple seasons. In that 1-7 they were outscored 116-273 and that's including them putting up 43 against an 0-10 team DIII school, take that game away and they're 0-6 with a 73-259 points for and against. So where is this skill set and level of athleticism that should come by playing these teams?? Did it come when they beat the 0-10 team, most higher division teams who struggle typically can handle lower division teams pretty easy given the opponents they're used to playing. However, the numbers show in Logan's case right now that isn't the case. Have to think the powers to be are trying to work their way back up and to do that getting trounced each week isn't going to help them so they're playing lower division teams more on their level in terms of that skill set and athleticism. I mean Minford a DV school who finished 4-6 had a 35-7 lead late in the 3rd quarter. More importantly I'm not a Logan supporter so not sure what your guys you are referring to.

thebarlowbandit
All State

I guess Franklin Furnance Green and Manchester were full?

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Really wasn't comparing individual age groups (8th vs 8th or freshman vs freshman), as much as I was looking at the what are the possible combinations of multiple grades when they come together. Just really think we are good at developing multiple groups of kids coming in and finding the right combination. I like our combination for 2-3 years.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Abe Froman wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:52 am
Really wasn't comparing individual age groups (8th vs 8th or freshman vs freshman), as much as I was looking at the what are the possible combinations of multiple grades when they come together. Just really think we are good at developing multiple groups of kids coming in and finding the right combination. I like our combination for 2-3 years.
The burg class of 2018 were not very good in jr high
I think they turned it around though and finished ok at the highschool level :lol:

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

fbnut wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:25 am

I think they turned it around though and finished ok at the highschool level :lol:
They picked up a little help to as evident by that 30 multiplier

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Westfan wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:44 am They picked up a little help to as evident by that 30 multiplier
It's not a multiplier. It is additive. Lol, big difference.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Westfan wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:44 am

You have kids that have went to burg since kindergarten that count in that 30

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

fbnut wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:00 am
You have kids that have went to burg since kindergarten that count in that 30
Save your breath. You won’t convince anyone otherwise that the only way burg is good is because of all the transfers. Now, burg is being flooded with kids interested in moving to district because of the winning but there was only one starter on burgs state team to my knowledge that didn’t play pee wee but again I’m wasting my Time.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

I can think of one

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:31 am I guess Franklin Furnance Green and Manchester were full?
Yeah, plus the drive was a bit much.

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

greygoose wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:37 pm
thebarlowbandit wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:31 am I guess Franklin Furnance Green and Manchester were full?
Yeah, plus the drive was a bit much.
Plus there's always the possibility that Green or Manchester could win... that would be a bad look as well. :lol:

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

OhioHsHelmets wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 am
4thgoal wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:58 am I saw a post on Facebook with an image of West's field with turf. If this a sure thing that is going to happen? For the 2018 season?
Where did you this at? (link please)
It was on Jerrod Pendleton's Facebook page.

Return to “Football”