2018 SOC2 Football

greygoose
S
Posts: 1676
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:15 pm

Re: 2018 SOC 2 OUTLOOK?

Post by greygoose » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:15 pm

Westfan wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:03 am
West wasn't at full strength when they played Wheelersburg this year. West didn't have much depth. When Berry went down a large part of the offense went with him. He is special. If anyone watched the first scrimmage at Zane Trace before McNeil got hurt, you saw how much he changed the offense too. Both are also excellent linebackers, and when you run a 4-4 that is important. It's nice to say next man up, but when you don't have alot of depth, two players of that caliber are huge losses.
Those guys are back, plus the Quarterback, tailback, fullback, tight end, ex. West may be better this year than last.
I applaud you for your west backing, but to think a 34 point gap was going to be closed by 1 player is a bit outlandish. I do have a question though because looking at a couple post you've said now. You mentioned in 1 that West returns 8-9 kids who have started games on defense, so how many full time starters did they get back on defense??? In this one you mention they return the entire backfield and the TE. So what do they return/lose on the o-line and d-line?? Because the way you're writing up stuff sounds like West is returning a BUNCH of starters from last years team. Thanks for the info, not bashing on who you have back or anything just getting some clarity on where West might stand. I mean if you're replacing 2/3 offensive and defensive lines that could pose a problem only time will tell on that one. Thanks



Westfan
SEO
Posts: 2645
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:16 am

Re: 2018 SOC 2 OUTLOOK?

Post by Westfan » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:40 pm

greygoose wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:15 pm
Westfan wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:03 am
West wasn't at full strength when they played Wheelersburg this year. West didn't have much depth. When Berry went down a large part of the offense went with him. He is special. If anyone watched the first scrimmage at Zane Trace before McNeil got hurt, you saw how much he changed the offense too. Both are also excellent linebackers, and when you run a 4-4 that is important. It's nice to say next man up, but when you don't have alot of depth, two players of that caliber are huge losses.
Those guys are back, plus the Quarterback, tailback, fullback, tight end, ex. West may be better this year than last.
I applaud you for your west backing, but to think a 34 point gap was going to be closed by 1 player is a bit outlandish. I do have a question though because looking at a couple post you've said now. You mentioned in 1 that West returns 8-9 kids who have started games on defense, so how many full time starters did they get back on defense??? In this one you mention they return the entire backfield and the TE. So what do they return/lose on the o-line and d-line?? Because the way you're writing up stuff sounds like West is returning a BUNCH of starters from last years team. Thanks for the info, not bashing on who you have back or anything just getting some clarity on where West might stand. I mean if you're replacing 2/3 offensive and defensive lines that could pose a problem only time will tell on that one. Thanks
The offensive line was all seniors. That will be the toughest to replace. But there 3 or 4 that have played including a couple who have played alot of defensive tackle. Lost Staggs at receiver. He really stepped up after Berry went down. I think team speed will be better and West will be more skilled. Maybe not as power run oriented.

Defense lost both ends, 1 tackle, and 1 corner off the starters before the injuries. But they always rotate alot of guys so alot have played.

greygoose
S
Posts: 1676
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:15 pm

Re: 2018 SOC 2 OUTLOOK?

Post by greygoose » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:13 am

WOW, that's a pretty big gap to fill when you lose your entire line. Especially given the success in the run game you guys had, also figuring some of that o-line was your d-line as well. So West is going to be questionable in the trenches at least to start the season, that's one of the areas where until the games start coming won't really know how the boys will adjust. Knowing that really can't give the nod to West closing the gap on Burg.
1.BURG
2.WEST
3.Waverly
4.Minford
5.Valley
Honestly 3-4-5 could be flipped in any order given the unknown of each team, can Waverly replace what they lost effectively, can Minford take a step forward after an up and down 2017 season, does Valley have the talent to try and get back to at least a .500 ball club?? Even with Burg and West does Burg get couple rumored guys move in, does Boehm from P-town go to West which is one thing I've heard??? AHHHH so many questions and long time till we get the answers.

stokers
Waterboy
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:29 pm

Re: SOC-DIVISION 2

Post by stokers » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:31 pm

how will green be

seopcommenter
Riding the Bench
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:20 pm
Location: i like to back my statemints up with historical factoids

Re: SOC-DIVISION 2

Post by seopcommenter » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:59 pm

minfort wins some games

Football fan
Waterboy
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Re: 2018 SOC 2 OUTLOOK?

Post by Football fan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:04 am

The Ironton tribune is reporting with the adding of saint joe in 2019 that oak hill and eastern are moving up to full time SOC d2 in all sports due to the fact western is fielding football which is awesome but makes me wonder if Manchester backed out or was denied entry

Boehm isn’t that good of a lineman gets ate up by good defenses West would be a perfect fit for him

greygoose
S
Posts: 1676
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:15 pm

Re: 2018 SOC 2 OUTLOOK?

Post by greygoose » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:58 am

Football fan wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:04 am
The Ironton tribune is reporting with the adding of saint joe in 2019 that oak hill and eastern are moving up to full time SOC d2 in all sports due to the fact western is fielding football which is awesome but makes me wonder if Manchester backed out or was denied entry

Boehm isn’t that good of a lineman gets ate up by good defenses West would be a perfect fit for him
I read the article and really find it a bit strange, Saint Joe doesn't have football. Eastern is currently a DVII school and while I have heard about them moving up to DVI, why would they choose to move a small DVI/big DVII school move up to playing SOC 2 and leave a DV school Northwest down in the smaller school bracket? Seems like that's a bit backwards in expecting Eastern to compete with the likes of the SOC 2 league. They're not running wild in SOC 1, man I really hope that is rethought doesn't seem like it improves either league by such a move.

From what I was hearing I don't believe Manchester was looking for a long-term fit in the SOC. Not with a few of the schools in the area starting up football. Manchester also has funding issues so who knows, can't see the SOC turning them down because they were already playing a SOC 1 schedule for the most part.

Football fan
Waterboy
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Re: 2018 SOC 2 OUTLOOK?

Post by Football fan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:12 pm

Read daily times article makes way more since then Ironton as for football eastern isn’t moving

SOC 1
Eastern
Western
Nw
Nd
Green
East
Sv

SOC 2
Burg
West
Oh
Waverly
Minford
Valley

greygoose
S
Posts: 1676
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:15 pm

Re: 2018 SOC 2 OUTLOOK?

Post by greygoose » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:27 pm

Football fan wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:12 pm
Read daily times article makes way more since then Ironton as for football eastern isn’t moving

SOC 1
Eastern
Western
Nw
Nd
Green
East
Sv

SOC 2
Burg
West
Oh
Waverly
Minford
Valley
Correct Eastern isn't moving in football even though the article said they were in all sports. OH isn't moving until the 2019 season so you'll have to adjust your predictions

Seabee_0586
Varsity
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:00 am

Re: SOC-DIVISION 2

Post by Seabee_0586 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:43 pm

stokers wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:31 pm
how will green be
Green will have a lot of seniors and juniors
SOC 1

Proud_Pirate63
Varsity
Posts: 625
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:33 am
Location: Wheelersburg

Re: SOC-DIVISION 2

Post by Proud_Pirate63 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:46 pm

Seabee_0586 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:43 pm
stokers wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:31 pm
how will green be
Green will have a lot of seniors and juniors
All 8 of them!! Lol. Sorry couldn’t resist. I honestly hope Green’s numbers improve. Hate to see their program in the state that it is right now.

Seabee_0586
Varsity
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:00 am

Re: SOC-DIVISION 2

Post by Seabee_0586 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:48 pm

Well if burg would give up some players from open enrollment it would be appreciated
SOC 1

Proud_Pirate63
Varsity
Posts: 625
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:33 am
Location: Wheelersburg

Re: SOC-DIVISION 2

Post by Proud_Pirate63 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:50 pm

I’m sure it would but that’s ok, we’ll keep em.

Seabee_0586
Varsity
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:00 am

Re: SOC-DIVISION 2

Post by Seabee_0586 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:52 pm

Proud_Pirate63 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:50 pm
I’m sure it would but that’s ok, we’ll keep em.
I figured got to stay on top somehow lol
SOC 1

scott1297
Freshman Team
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:56 pm

Re: SOC-DIVISION 2

Post by scott1297 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:47 pm

Seabee_0586 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:52 pm
Proud_Pirate63 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:50 pm
I’m sure it would but that’s ok, we’ll keep em.
I figured got to stay on top somehow lol
It's funny how some people hate a winner! :lol:
Burg grad 85

Seabee_0586
Varsity
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:00 am

Re: SOC-DIVISION 2

Post by Seabee_0586 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:44 am

scott1297 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:47 pm
Seabee_0586 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:52 pm
Proud_Pirate63 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:50 pm
I’m sure it would but that’s ok, we’ll keep em.
I figured got to stay on top somehow lol
It's funny how some people hate a winner! :lol:
I’m not a hater I’m just poking a little fun get it right man
SOC 1

scott1297
Freshman Team
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:56 pm

Re: SOC-DIVISION 2

Post by scott1297 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:16 pm

Seabee_0586 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:44 am
scott1297 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:47 pm
Seabee_0586 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:52 pm


I figured got to stay on top somehow lol
It's funny how some people hate a winner! :lol:
I’m not a hater I’m just poking a little fun get it right man
Well I am pretty sure that Burg only had 2 boys that came to Burg via open enrollment after their freshmen year Lowery and Sowards everyone else played junior high for Burg.
Burg grad 85

Seabee_0586
Varsity
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:00 am

Re: SOC-DIVISION 2

Post by Seabee_0586 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:45 pm

Count the boys that live in franklin furnace township that go to burg
SOC 1

bleed_blue
Freshman Team
Posts: 246
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:52 am

Re: SOC-DIVISION 2

Post by bleed_blue » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:34 am

Seabee_0586 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:45 pm
Count the boys that live in franklin furnace township that go to burg
And count how many of those kids have gone to Wheelersburg well before hey started playing pee wee. As it has been stated only 2 kids that played on this years team came after Jr High.

Oak
Freshman Team
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:19 pm

Re: SOC-DIVISION 2

Post by Oak » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:13 am

bleed_blue wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:34 am
Seabee_0586 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:45 pm
Count the boys that live in franklin furnace township that go to burg
And count how many of those kids have gone to Wheelersburg well before hey started playing pee wee. As it has been stated only 2 kids that played on this years team came after Jr High.
What does it matter when they came? Basically a quarter of Wheelersburg's football roster is open enrollment

Post Reply