2018 OVC Football Offseason Talk and Outlook

Osu fan
Waterboy

Re: 2018 OVC

Post by Osu fan »

If my tigers are able to avoid the injury bug this season, I think they easily win the OVC and make the playoffs! And I may be in the minority here, but I think Vass gives them the best chance to do both.

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

I see GAHS right at the top! 8-2 guess.

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

Been a Portsmouth Trojan Football fan for 45 years, Sure we have had some nice runs over the years,but honestly those runs have been few and far between in the past 45 years. Trojans did play very tough opponenets for most of these years, but not often have we been a state ranked team, and never on a year in basis for a long period of time. Power houses expect it each and every season, we have never been very consistant

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth has never been a consistent power in football since the inception of the playoffs in 1972. Since that year, the Trojans have made the postseason only 9 times in 45 years, with no appearances in the last 10 years. They have advanced to the Final 4 twice, in 1984 and 2000, but lost in the semifinals both times. Ironton, Wheelersburg, and Gallia Academy all have a lopsided series lead vs. Portsmouth during that 45 year span. During that period also, league titles were non-existent. The Trojans never won the OKAC in 8 years, SEOAL in 7 years, and have not won the OVC to date. The perception of Portsmouth as a football power were just that, a perception.

9 times in 45 years making the playoffs speaks for itself. 80% of the time the Trojans are on the outside looking in.......and that's not even making the top 8 in the region, let alone advancing past the first round.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

dave, those facts surprise me. it seemed like more to me, it really did. I love the ironton rivalry and hope it always continues.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:02 am they were definitely somewhat improved. but rock hill strummed them.
Blue devils were just trying to figure out how to deal with losing there top offensive and defensive player in this game. They began to build a ton of depth this year.

They have had solid weight room numbers ever since conditioning opened back up even though they have several that play basketball and wrestle I still here they are having good attendance.

golfis4me
Riding the Bench

Post by golfis4me »

Matt77 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:24 pm Here’s how I see it going.

1. Coal Grove (defense will hurt losing a lot of starters, but tons of talent returning for the grove with what will be a solid senior class)
2. Rock Hill (tons of talent comes back, played a lot of underclassman last year)
3. Ironton (has the talent, who knows if they can put it together after the garbage fire that started last year, players “maybe” transferring will impact too)
4. Gallia (The new coach is building a program, returns solid players, you could flip them or ironton.)
5. Fairland (lost their two best players, return Lambiotte, Wilcoxon, and Sowards, but not a whole lot more)
6. Portsmouth (shaky coaching situation and if the rumors of Parker to the burg are true, Portsmouth will be a bottom feeder
7. Chesapeake (could flip them or Portsmouth depending on if Parker plays. The quarterback is a heck of a runner, just still don’t see much there this year)
8. South Point (Hopefully they can get players out to play, tough situation there with the youth)
What is the "tough situation there with the youth" at South Point?

GalliaGrad78
SEOP

Post by GalliaGrad78 »

golfis4me wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:12 am
Matt77 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:24 pm Here’s how I see it going.

1. Coal Grove (defense will hurt losing a lot of starters, but tons of talent returning for the grove with what will be a solid senior class)
2. Rock Hill (tons of talent comes back, played a lot of underclassman last year)
3. Ironton (has the talent, who knows if they can put it together after the garbage fire that started last year, players “maybe” transferring will impact too)
4. Gallia (The new coach is building a program, returns solid players, you could flip them or ironton.)
5. Fairland (lost their two best players, return Lambiotte, Wilcoxon, and Sowards, but not a whole lot more)
6. Portsmouth (shaky coaching situation and if the rumors of Parker to the burg are true, Portsmouth will be a bottom feeder
7. Chesapeake (could flip them or Portsmouth depending on if Parker plays. The quarterback is a heck of a runner, just still don’t see much there this year)
8. South Point (Hopefully they can get players out to play, tough situation there with the youth)
What is the "tough situation there with the youth" at South Point?
My guess is the drug use/ testing.
I wish that all high schools would drug test for all extra curricular activities.
I give South Point props for testing and doing the right thing even though it decimated their football team. Seems they have their priorities in order.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I agree.
about the testing.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

As do I .

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I am 100% for drug testing, and I salute the South Point administration for doing the right thing, probably knowing that there would be some fallout that would come with it.

Beergoggleblues
Waterboy

Post by Beergoggleblues »

I 100% support it. They stuck with it even if it meant half there team was gone. Earlier in the year I heard peake was starting winter of this year. True or not who knows but I think it's awesome

golfis4me
Riding the Bench

Post by golfis4me »

All for it. My understanding at South Point is that a student who fails and wants to play again must attend drug counseling and is required to miss 30 percent of the season.

To put this in perspective though,194 of the 198 students who are participating in extra-curriculars at South Point passed the drug test. https://goo.gl/59YQbo. Injuries hurt them much more than losing a few to drug tests. Losing your 1st and 2nd string QB's for the year to injuries and having to go to a freshman was a tough way to start a season for an already young team.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

golfis4me wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:08 pm All for it. My understanding at South Point is that a student who fails and wants to play again must attend drug counseling and is required to miss 30 percent of the season.

To put this in perspective though,194 of the 198 students who are participating in extra-curriculars at South Point passed the drug test. https://goo.gl/59YQbo. Injuries hurt them much more than losing a few to drug tests. Losing your 1st and 2nd string QB's for the year to injuries and having to go to a freshman was a tough way to start a season for an already young team.
THAT IS AWESOME. I ALWAYS SAY TEACH YOUR KIDS TO HUNT AND FISH , THEN THEY'LL NEVER HAVE THE EXTRA MONEY TO SPEND IT ON DRUGS N ALCOHOL.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Re: 2018 OVC SCHEDULES

does anybody know if the contracts are just to be signed later with Ashland as Russell showing as open dates. or are these series on hold or something.

IRONTON
24-Aug-18 A WHEELERSBURG
31-Aug-18
7-Sep-18 A PROCTORVILLE FAIRLAND
14-Sep-18
21-Sep-18 H SOUTH POINT
28-Sep-18 H CHESAPEAKE
5-Oct-18 A IRONTON ROCK HILL
12-Oct-18 H COAL GROVER DAWSON-BRYANT
19-Oct-18 H GALLIPOLIS GALLIA ACADEMY
26-Oct-18 A PORTSMOUTH

Pa Trojan
JV Team

Post by Pa Trojan »

I have the same question, involving Portsmouth vs West and Valley?

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

South Point is not playing with a level field until all the OVC schools test all their atheletes. And I mean blind tests where the kids, administration and coaches cant "prepare " Some schools say they test but it is a few kids who people know are going to pass. Right now they are at a huge disadvantage. I applaud their efforts and putting the kids well being over wins, losses and gate receipts!

Beergoggleblues
Waterboy

Post by Beergoggleblues »

Pa Trojan wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:38 pm I have the same question, involving Portsmouth vs West and Valley?
I'm almost 100% those games are still happening. Esp the west game. Not sure why there not on there. Maybe not signed off yet?

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Beergoggleblues wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:59 pm
Pa Trojan wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:38 pm I have the same question, involving Portsmouth vs West and Valley?
I'm almost 100% those games are still happening. Esp the west game. Not sure why there not on there. Maybe not signed off yet?
Maybe Ptown is looking for another game 4 hours away to get their teeth kicked in like last year’s long drive. Good call on that one. Lol

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Beergoggleblues wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:59 pm
Maybe Ptown is looking for another game 4 hours away to get their teeth kicked in like last year’s long drive. Good call on that one. Lol

Return to “Football”