The History of the Wing T

Wings Teaford
Freshman Team

The History of the Wing T

Post by Wings Teaford »

My great great great grandpappy was a founding fater of this offense, Was wondering if anybody out there is still using it in SEO?

Run the FB Belly and cram it up ther poop shoot!
countywide35
SEOP

Re: The History of the Wing T

Post by countywide35 »

see some double wing-t

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
eagle25
JV Team

Post by eagle25 »

Wings Teaford wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:01 am My great great great grandpappy was a founding fater of this offense, Was wondering if anybody out there is still using it in SEO?
Ray Watson use to run the wide wing and the pop play out of it. Unstoppable. As for defense that wide tackle six that Buzz Kirkhart ran was killer too. He ended up winning a state championship with it in later years.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

There still are same using the wing-t or variants at small schools in South Carolina and West Virginia. Executed properly, the wing-t can be an equalizer against teams with superior size and speed, especially if the superior team rarely sees the wing-t. There are even some schools that used a pistol in a shotgun formation that have morphed into a single wing offense. I guess in some situations, what is old has become new again.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Sportfan97
Waterboy

Post by Sportfan97 »

The Lancaster Golden Gales run the Wing T

coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

Many teams run the Wing-T and are very good at it.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Can't stand this offense.

Chief Kdogg
JV Team

Post by Chief Kdogg »

Sportfan97 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:58 pm The Lancaster Golden Gales run the Wing T
And they're not very good so a good reason not to run it. :mrgreen:

dime-a-dozen
Varsity

Re: The History of the Wing

Post by dime-a-dozen »

The Chesapeake Panthers run the double wing offense/trap series! Sometimes splitting out ends and making the backs look like they are in the slot. Even run it out of the gun and run an option game out of it! Also Coal Grove runs a version of the double wing/trap series and had great success under their new head coach this year. Wayne, WV runs the double wing trap series and has had great success for 12+ years. Also Rock Hill runs the old school double tight straight T formation same playbook as the old Bob Lutes Ironton Tigers. I believe the Symmes Valley Vikings run a version of the double wing/wing T offense.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

The last 3 games that wheelersburg played this year were against wing t teams. Johnstown Monroe ran a wing t, Middletown Madison and pemberville Eastwood were also wing t. All 3 ran little subtle differences in their offense however all were extremely effective . I just don't get the idea that you have to throw it and spread it out to win. I think you better have balance and whether your a 70% + run or 70% +passing team You have better be able to execute and adapt to what a defense is presenting you with. Burg may have had one of the more prolific passing games in the state and school history however if they don't adjust completely to a power running game in the regional championship game they were going home. Same with ironton in 89 it was the passing game with pleasant to cox that broke a few big ones early to get ironton out to a 14-0 lead. The one thing you had better do though if you are gonna be a wing t or full house t offense. Is play great defense.

Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

And what was your record wing t? Lol

Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

And what was your record wing T? Lol

Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

Sorry I meant wings Teaford

OvGuy
Freshman Team

Post by OvGuy »

Coach Mike Flannery of River has run a variation of this offense the majority of his career and has made him one of the winningest coaches in the OVAC. Generally out of the gun but with tons of motion, it is their main set although Flannery is known for having more sets and formations than a lot of coaches have plays it gets hard to notice what is and isn't their "go to"

Return to “Football”