Re: 2018 Defending State Champs Wheelersburg Pirates

Post by noreply66 »

Good programs will do that.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Who are these kids that just moved in? Is there any validity to this? Names? Grade? Any football experience?

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Don’t worry fellas. In 2019 Burg will be DIV. then you all can shut up about all of this nonsense. They will still dominate SEO. Then go smash Steuby for the title.

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:38 am Wheelersburg has created a culture of winning and excellence both on the field and in the classroom that undoubtedly attracts families from the area. They offer opportunities that area schools simply aren't capable of offering both academically and athletically, and following the rules while doing so. Why wouldn't you want your child in a position to succeed, even if he/she doesn't play a sport? By eligibility standards, Wheelersburg abides by all laws and regulations. Does this give them an advantage in the classroom and on the field, of course, but to say they are wrong for doing so is simply ridiculous. The parents in each school system have the choice to start their child when they want to (as long as it allows them to be athletically eligible), and the fact that they decide not to take advantage of that opportunity is their choice. The argument isn't whether this choice is right or wrong because by OHSAA standards it is legal.
By creating this culture of success, Wheelersburg has gained control of the Southeast. Wheelersburg's goal is not to simply compete with teams in this area of the state, but to dominate it. The goal of a state championship is only a dream for most schools in the area, but it has become reality for Wheelersburg, and a yearly goal at that. Success breeds success and when kids see the opportunity to compete at the highest level in D5, they want to be apart of that. Wheelersburg will deal with moving to D4 when (if) this happens, but for now they focused on D5 and creating a culture of winning in the South.
I remember playing once at Wheelersburg. It would have been 1980 or 81. My Redmen lost, but it wasn't by a lot. I felt like back then that Wburg had their shite together.

In those days, Ironton was the school that attracted every top athlete within 20 miles. Everyone wanted to play for Bob Lutz. And who can blame them? You could get excellent coaching and compete in the playoffs. But it was irritating to know that we were missing 3 or 4 guys who could have really helped us.

So excellence and winning are attractive, and kids are going to go where it is attractive. It always has been that way, and always will. Even tho it skews things, I want parents to have choices and freedom to do what they think is best for their kids, so I can't blame a program for drawing talented kids to them. But I also think the school that is the beneficiary of these kids' talent should be humble and understand that their blessing is coming at the expense of others. Still, I think parental freedom and choice trumps the other problems that come with it.

So, I would say you all should milk it for what its worth and ride that train as long as it lasts. It eventually ends. Ask Ironton.

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:21 pm Don’t worry fellas. In 2019 Burg will be DIV. then you all can shut up about all of this nonsense. They will still dominate SEO. Then go smash Steuby for the title.
Be careful what you wish for. The Big Red ain't no joke. My nephew was a senior RB for New Philadelphia last year, and I went to Steubenville to watch him play against BR. First time I was ever at their stadium - which is beautiful and unique. Go there if you get the chance. It was over before the 1st qtr was up. Behind the visiting stands is a graveyard. Very eerie - and appropriate. It was death valley in there for NP. But those SBR guys play a very serious brand of football. "Intimidating" and "aggressive" might be appropriate descriptions. NP was a DIII playoff team and Big Red just smothered them, beat them up, and sent them home with their tails between their legs.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

IVCguy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:43 pm
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:21 pm Don’t worry fellas. In 2019 Burg will be DIV. then you all can shut up about all of this nonsense. They will still dominate SEO. Then go smash Steuby for the title.
Be careful what you wish for. The Big Red ain't no joke. My nephew was a senior RB for New Philadelphia last year, and I went to Steubenville to watch him play against BR. First time I was ever at their stadium - which is beautiful and unique. Go there if you get the chance. It was over before the 1st qtr was up. Behind the visiting stands is a graveyard. Very eerie - and appropriate. It was death valley in there for NP. But those SBR guys play a very serious brand of football. "Intimidating" and "aggressive" might be appropriate descriptions. NP was a DIII playoff team and Big Red just smothered them, beat them up, and sent them home with their tails between their legs.
Careful is one thing Jolly P is not. I think Burg could hold their own against Steuby.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

The only real test for Burg in 18 will be Hartley. That’s it. You can chalk up 9 wins. West may be 9-0 come week 10 again, but that won’t matter. Burg is on a completely different level than any team in Southeast Ohio. Take that to the bank. Transfers or not. If Burg is playing by the rules of the powers that be, let them be. If other schools are so upset about their kids leaving, they should give them something to stay for. A mediocre head coach in a mediocre program with mediocre attendance is a recipe to transfer. I know not everything is about athletics and education is a top priority for MOST parents. But to think that athletes don’t care about winning and being a part of that culture, you are sadly mistaken. Burg will be Burg and nothing will change that. What are the other schools going to do about it. Will they make the necessary changes or will they continue to play the name game and only field their friends kids? It happens EVERYWHERE.

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:59 pm The only real test for Burg in 18 will be Hartley. That’s it. You can chalk up 9 wins. West may be 9-0 come week 10 again, but that won’t matter. Burg is on a completely different level than any team in Southeast Ohio. Take that to the bank. Transfers or not. If Burg is playing by the rules of the powers that be, let them be. If other schools are so upset about their kids leaving, they should give them something to stay for. A mediocre head coach in a mediocre program with mediocre attendance is a recipe to transfer. I know not everything is about athletics and education is a top priority for MOST parents. But to think that athletes don’t care about winning and being a part of that culture, you are sadly mistaken. Burg will be Burg and nothing will change that. What are the other schools going to do about it. Will they make the necessary changes or will they continue to play the name game and only field their friends kids? It happens EVERYWHERE.
At 54 years old, careful may be my policy and experience. Lol.

Regardless, I wish the best for the Pirates.

All that said, don't think it's wise to hope to face the Big Red, and certainly not wise to think that you will blow through them. Just saying. There are some very serious footballers in Steubenville. :)

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:50 pm
IVCguy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:43 pm
Careful is one thing Jolly P is not. I think Burg could hold their own against Steuby.
Many have thought so. Many have been wrong. Lol.

I say that as no fan of Steuby, but as someone who has seen them take a quality program apart.

FaberGrad62
JV Team

Post by FaberGrad62 »

Any truth to Holden might not be playing this year in football?

Would be a huge hole to fill for Burg but they do still have some nice athletes coming back/

BLUTO
Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

FaberGrad62 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:59 pm Any truth to Holden might not be playing this year in football?

Would be a huge hole to fill for Burg but they do still have some nice athletes coming back/
Wouldn't be surprised if that rumor is false, believe that was being said this time last year as well.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:33 am Who are these kids that just moved in? Is there any validity to this? Names? Grade? Any football experience?
From what I heard, the one from Watkins is a 6'3" freshman, LB and post player in basketball.

Buramgerdin
Freshman Team

Post by Buramgerdin »

Tartanblue wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:39 pm
FaberGrad62 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:59 pm Any truth to Holden might not be playing this year in football?

Wouldn't be surprised if that rumor is false, believe that was being said this time last year as well.
Been said every year I think. I don't buy it.

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

Urban wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:29 am
TheNest20 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:55 am If you have to defend your legitimacy are you truly legitimate? If the people that get butthurt about people saying open enrollment helps burg would just not respond the "haters" would most likely just shut up because they most likely just want to get a reaction out of burg fans.
It's facts.
Public schools complained for years that private schools had an unfair advantage. They could control their enrollment to play in a smaller division while having a talent level that exceeded the division. So Competitive Balance was created

It's common knowledge that all kids that apply to Wheelersburg aren't accepted. Posters have commented on here before that they personally know kids who were declined. If Wheelersburg picks and chooses players that they accept then they are no different than a private school.

Dude Life it not FAIR!!!!!! BLA, BLA, BLA, get over it already... I am sure glad you are not part of the Burg coaching staff or community with your thought process, I can promise you that we do not teach our kids , hey we are playing Hartley and you will not win the game because they are a private school and Division 3 and it is not fair... BLA , BLA... Fact is over the years I have seen some great talent on teams around here that do not perform to their level of talent.. WHY? What is their culture ,to do they have an expectation of , no matter they score we can win this game and going to win , when adversity strikes , how do they respond.. So coaching , community support , high standards , and a culture over a long period of time pays off.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Urban wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:43 am
hoops37 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:51 pm The number comparing burg CB numbers needs to be put into a fraction.

Take CB adjustment and divide it by roster size. Comparing their roster of 100 to others rosters of 43 is stupid. I know the dude is just butt hurt by burg winning it all, but I've seen nobody say much about how CB directly relates to roster size.
Ok
76 players were listed on the 2017 Roster
30 out of district players

30/76=39.47
So 40% of their roster doesn't live in district.
It's hard to argue the numbers.

One has to wonder why school district boundaries and age limits even apply anymore.

Then the irony when Burg loses to a private school and belly aches over it lol.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Bleeding Red wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:16 pm
hoops37 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:51 pm The number comparing burg CB numbers needs to be put into a fraction.

Take CB adjustment and divide it by roster size. Comparing their roster of 100 to others rosters of 43 is stupid. I know the dude is just butt hurt by burg winning it all, but I've seen nobody say much about how CB directly relates to roster size.
Ok

30/76=39.47

One has to wonder why school district boundaries and age limits even apply anymore.

I am certainly not a burg guy by any stretch of the imagination but to be completely transparent, I do not think the CB is only based on students who live outside the district who play sports, but ANY STUDENT, even if he doesn't play a sport is still counted in the CB enrollment count. Correct me if I am wrong but I do believe that is the case.

Eggsalad44
Waterboy

Post by Eggsalad44 »

"Voted in place by the OHSAA member schools in May 2014, Competitive Balance is a process which makes modifications to how schools are placed into tournament divisions in the team sports of baseball, basketball, football, soccer, softball and volleyball. The modifications are based on which students are actually on each respective roster. "- from OHSAA site.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

Eggsalad44 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:58 pm "Voted in place by the OHSAA member schools in May 2014, Competitive Balance is a process which makes modifications to how schools are placed into tournament divisions in the team sports of baseball, basketball, football, soccer, softball and volleyball. The modifications are based on which students are actually on each respective roster. "- from OHSAA site.
Thanks, wasn't quite aware if that was the case or not.

Cato
Riding the Bench

Post by Cato »

Ok

30/76=39.47

From the rumors going around that number is only gonna increase after this year. Combine that with several larger classes coming up and Wheelersburg will definitely move up to D4 football after this year as they were only 6 from the D4 cutoff this year. Huge difference from D5 to D4

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Ok

30/76=39.47

A CB # of30 doesn’t mean 30 kids live outside district
I believe if you enrolled after 7th grade you count as 2
I’m guessing 30 kids on team don’t live outside of district

Return to “Football”