Re: 2018 Defending State Champs Wheelersburg Pirates Outlook

Post by countywide35 »

its tha burg.....better lace em tight and buckle ur chin strap

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

I've heard some great things about the Mathews kid starting from the moment last season ended. Coaches saying he lived in the weight room and improving top end speed on the track team. Sounds like he has put on a few pounds to an already strong frame and has improved speed and quickness. Being a year older also helps a lot. I think this kid has a breakout year. You can put him in the backfield, in the slot, not to mention the back end of the defense. And maybe the most important aspect is the fact he was an integral part of a State Championship team as a sophomore so the learning curve already took place on at the highest level. This year will be exciting.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:41 am I've heard some great things about the Mathews kid starting from the moment last season ended. Coaches saying he lived in the weight room and improving top end speed on the track team. Sounds like he has put on a few pounds to an already strong frame and has improved speed and quickness. Being a year older also helps a lot. I think this kid has a breakout year. You can put him in the backfield, in the slot, not to mention the back end of the defense. And maybe the most important aspect is the fact he was an integral part of a State Championship team as a sophomore so the learning curve already took place on at the highest level. This year will be exciting.
He’s definitely gonna be fun to watch the next two years. He’s only gonna get stronger

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
footballelite
Riding the Bench

Post by footballelite »

Couple questions for the burg faithful. I was taking a drive yesterday evening and pulled up to the football field. To my surprise many people were parked in parking lot out of their cars watching practice. Do they not ever close their practices? Just curious. Anyway I got out and watched a little also. They looked to be working on defense. Who in the world in the DE that looks like he is 6'4 or 6'5? Kid looked very aggressive and quick. There was also a Defensive lineman around 6'3 and prob 250lbs that could move. I don't remember seeing either one of these kids last year. I was wondering if they were transfers or possibly on the team last year but just didn't get playing time? Sorry, they didn't have numbers on so that's all the information I have. lol Figured someone in the know may have an idea ?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

footballelite wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:22 am Couple questions for the burg faithful. I was taking a drive yesterday evening and pulled up to the football field. To my surprise many people were parked in parking lot out of their cars watching practice. Do they not ever close their practices? Just curious. Anyway I got out and watched a little also. They looked to be working on defense. Who in the world in the DE that looks like he is 6'4 or 6'5? Kid looked very aggressive and quick. There was also a Defensive lineman around 6'3 and prob 250lbs that could move. I don't remember seeing either one of these kids last year. I was wondering if they were transfers or possibly on the team last year but just didn't get playing time? Sorry, they didn't have numbers on so that's all the information I have. lol Figured someone in the know may have an idea ?
I’ve never heard of them closing practice ever, but I’m not sure 100%. They let the dads and grandpas hang out up there. To my knowledge the only transfer is the ironton kid. There was a kid that came last year but I don’t think he was a big kid.

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Chase Stidham (#9 last year) was a DE in the nickel/3rd down package last year and he was listed at 6'2. He may have grown an inch or so, so probably playing at around 6'3. The big kid in on the DL you mentioned could be a number of kids. One that comes to mind is a sophomore that even got playing time in the blowout playoff games last year as a freshman. I think his last name is Richardson but again all of this is speculative.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

looking forward to seeing the surprise onside kicks, I know burgs kicker is one of the better ones in the area, tremendously strong leg

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Here's a list from the “experts” on D1-D7 preseason polls. Hope they are correct. Go Burg!

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/sports/e ... -foot.html

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

Suprised to not see Columbus academy in that list They must have lost a lot more starters than I realized. Week 2 will tell wheelersburg everything they need to know about where they are. Just need to come out of that one healthy.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

victor creed wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:26 pm Suprised to not see Columbus academy in that list They must have lost a lot more starters than I realized. Week 2 will tell wheelersburg everything they need to know about where they are. Just need to come out of that one healthy.
The biggest question every year is the Oline. If they have that figured out come week 2. We may be headed 23 south with the whole State talking about Wheelersburg.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

Totally agree jolly. Not as big this year up front. But definitely explosive and probably quicker. We replaced 4 4 out of 5 last year on the online and that worked out pretty well

footballelite
Riding the Bench

Post by footballelite »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:34 am
victor creed wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:26 pm Suprised to not see Columbus academy in that list They must have lost a lot more starters than I realized. Week 2 will tell wheelersburg everything they need to know about where they are. Just need to come out of that one healthy.
The biggest question every year is the Oline. If they have that figured out come week 2. We may be headed 23 south with the whole State talking about Wheelersburg.
Orange/Black scrimmage is this Saturday I believe. Hoping someone could confirm that? The day I watched practice , this Oline looked to be much bigger than last year. One of the Olineman repping was also the big DE I mentioned in earlier post. Kid looked to be 6"4 or 6"5.

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

The big kid repping at DE and OL may be Kevin Meadows. He didn't get a bunch of playing time last year due to upperclassmen, but may be stepping into a starting role this year. He is listed at 6'4, and probably 220-230lbs.

footballelite
Riding the Bench

Post by footballelite »

Wow. Watched Wheelersburg scrimmage themselves this morning. They looked very good , very impressed. Defenses had studs on both teams. And so did the offenses.

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

I too took in the scrimmage this morning and was also very impressed. It's alway hard to judge how fluid or effective certain positions are when they are split up like that but in my opinion it was a very competitive and beneficial scrimmage. The thing that jumped out at me is once again, the QB Salyers will have multiple athletes to spread the ball to that will be effective, and can score from anywhere on the field. I think the running game has potential to be very good this year as I was highly impressed with the Horsely kid in the backfield. He looks stronger and quicker than last year, and puts his nose down and finishes every run. Will be a nice compliment to the highly explosive passing offense.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I thought clevenger looked strong at the RB spot. Horsley and clevenger will make a nice 1-2 punch
Backers looked good 4-5 kids looking for playing time there.
Some big kids upfront on the oline
Good tackling
Offense will be better than last year

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

I agree fbnut. I think the offense will be better than last year which is scary, and to be honest, the defense has enough athletes that the right combination could result in a defense comparable to last years. Just have to find the right fit.

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

Where is the scrimmage next week and with who ?

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Chillicothe @ Burg

callie15
Varsity

Post by callie15 »

Thank you.

Return to “Football”