2018 Defending State Champs Wheelersburg Pirates Outlook

8332 Granite St
JV Team

2018 Defending State Champs Wheelersburg Pirates Outlook

Post by 8332 Granite St »

I know we lose some great senior players. But lots of talent coming back. Who do you see stepping up and any of the freshmen players moving up that may make an impact in 2018? How about a back to back state run?

Let's go Burg!
Last edited by 8332 Granite St on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

8332 Granite St
JV Team

Re: 2018 Defending State Champs Wheelersburg Pirates

Post by 8332 Granite St »

I will also add that the 2017 team had tons of talent and depth and the Championship was not a cakewalk it was really a hard fought journey and didn't come easy. Just goes to show how hard it is to win the state. I know it wont be easy to repeat but I like are chances with some key players coming back.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

The Hartley game will tell a great deal about this team.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

its tha burg......they are always good

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

I look for the offense to be as explosive, if not more than they were this year even while replacing 4/5 on the line. The skill players and production returning will be hard handle for four quarters, with home run hitters across the board, and a QB that is excellent at getting the ball in their hands. Replacing the DL will prove to be a challenge but I think there are some younger players with a lot of talent that will get the job done. We have to remember that we only returned one DL starter from the 2016 season, and came up with arguably the best DL in recent history at Wheelersburg. All in all I think we can count on another successful season and deep playoff run.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Program is a football factory right now, producing some best of class players in a best of class program. Hartley will be tough and will undoubtedly be one of that Weeks best games in the State, should be some real hype on that one, but other than this game we should chew right through everyone else.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

I agree with abe here, I expect more of the same to continue, the pirates and their community have things dialed in right now. the Hartley game will be crucial to as where they stand. but it was awesome watching the dream season they had last year. and watching them play for a state title on sto. even a loss with Hartley if that does happen will not keep the pirates from another deep run. burg has literally outgrown their league as far as comparative talent. and is in kinda a big fish, smaller pond situation now. as ironton was for many years. but geographically the soc and ovc make perfect sence. so the rest of the schools in both leagues need to elevate their games. and have aggressive out of conference games as burg is scheduling. that shows they are obviously trying to raise their level of competition.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

I think with what they have returning and what they have coming up that like last yr they will be one of the fav to make it to the shoe. IMO I believe they have what it takes to win back to back titles which would be a southern oh first

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Burg will be hard to stop worst record I see them with entering playoffs is 9-1 against Hartley, SOC should give them no trouble.

Urban
Riding the Bench

Post by Urban »

Tartanblue wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:58 pm Burg will be hard to stop worst record I see them with entering playoffs is 9-1 against Hartley, SOC should give them no trouble.
This is a real possibility. It's difficult to invision county Division 5 schools competing with a team with almost 30 move ins on the football team.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Tartanblue wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:58 pm Burg will be hard to stop worst record I see them with entering playoffs is 9-1 against Hartley, SOC should give them no trouble.
i agree TB. a 4th straight 10-0 season will be hard to do with that wk 2 trip to harley but IMO if they win wk 2 then 10-0 would almost be a certainty. with the exception of wk 10 at west i really don't see anyone on the schedule givin burg a game. that's just me though. if we played them this past season calpreps had it at 28-26 hartley

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Transfer in or out?

Scrimmage games?

#GOBURG

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Urban wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:57 pm
This is a real possibility. It's difficult to invision county Division 5 schools competing with a team with almost 30 move ins on the football team.
You do realize that all open enrollment males in the high school count toward the OHSAA competitive balance number whether they play football or not. Heck whether they even play a sport or not they count. People not only come to The Burg for sports, they also come for one of the best educations in the area. We are a county school as well. The only city school in Scioto County is Portsmouth. Alright, alright I’m coming down from the soapbox. Lol

Urban
Riding the Bench

Post by Urban »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:07 pm
You do realize that all open enrollment males in the high school count toward the OHSAA competitive balance number whether they play football or not. Heck whether they even play a sport or not they count. People not only come to The Burg for sports, they also come for one of the best educations in the area. We are a county school as well. The only city school in Scioto County is Portsmouth. Alright, alright I’m coming down from the soapbox. Lol
Wrong. All males in the school count towards enrollment. Wheelersburg's enrollment number for this year is 175.
Only players on the football team that live outside the district count towards competitive balance with players that transfer before 7th counting as 1 and players after 7th counting as 2. If Lowery is the only player on last year's football team that came after 7th grade, then Wheelersburg had 29 kids on last year's football roster that didn't live in Wheelersburg.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Urban is correct:

This explains it all: Competitive Balance is only for the players on the Roster for that sport. The competitive balance roster will be added to the ODE base enrollment counts prior to the determination of tournament divisions for those sports. For Wheelersburg the Base enrollment is 175 Boys in grades 9-11 as Urban pointed out. The competitive balance number is 30 raising their number to 175+30 = 205

http://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/SchoolResour ... nce101.pdf

http://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/SchoolResour ... strict.pdf

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Urban wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:03 pm
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:07 pm

Wrong. All males in the school count towards enrollment. Wheelersburg's enrollment number for this year is 175.
Only players on the football team that live outside the district count towards competitive balance with players that transfer before 7th counting as 1 and players after 7th counting as 2. If Lowery is the only player on last year's football team that came after 7th grade, then Wheelersburg had 29 kids on last year's football roster that didn't live in Wheelersburg.
Yes I was wrong about the CB formula. I misread the OHSAA release about how it was determined.

Urban
Riding the Bench

Post by Urban »

Yes 29 move ins on 1 football team. Most local teams barely have 50 on a roster.

Wheelersburg better enjoy this last year in D5, because starting next year they go to the big boy playoffs. Of course you can still brag about beating small county schools in the regular season that don't operate like a private school.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

So if I read correctly then Lowery would count as a Teir 2 and the other 28 as Teir 1 meaning they attended Burg on open enrollment since before 7th grade.

I don’t know about you but I can tell you who will and who will not be good varsity football players from the pee wee ranks. 😂 😂

As far as the “Big boy playoffs” comment, I’m positive there are plenty of DVI and DVII schools that would whip the school you root for. What school is that by the way?

Success breeds success they say but it also breeds haters. It’s ok though I’d rather have the success and just tune out the haters.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:01 pm So if I read correctly then Lowery would count as a Teir 2 and the other 28 as Teir 1 meaning they attended Burg on open enrollment since before 7th grade.

I don’t know about you but I can tell you who will and who will not be good varsity football players from the pee wee ranks. 😂 😂

As far as the “Big boy playoffs” comment, I’m positive there are plenty of DVI and DVII schools that would whip the school you root for. What school is that by the way?

Success breeds success they say but it also breeds haters. It’s ok though I’d rather have the success and just tune out the haters.
Lowery actually moved into the district

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Burg should be one of the favorites in d5. If they stay in 5 for years to come then I can see them as a favorite every year. Up north the schools seam to be set as far as numbers go. D6 is the best small division then 7. I could see lcc moving to 5 now that fell has left sr. They could become a power again if they get the recruits. Idk bout cincy for this season but I don’t think Anna will be as good. If burg would move to 4 I think they would struggle. Even with the competitive balance hurting the old d4 catholic powers it’s still tuff. They could compete in the southeast division as long as big red and Mooney stay north but the Southwest is a meat grinder. Enjoy d5 and focus on another run.

Return to “Football”