2018 Defending State Champs Wheelersburg Pirates Outlook

Softballfan76
Waterboy

Re: 2018 Defending State Champs Wheelersburg Pirates

Post by Softballfan76 »

fbnut wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:17 am
Urban wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:00 am
fbnut wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:26 am A CB # of30 doesn’t mean 30 kids live outside district
I believe if you enrolled after 7th grade you count as 2
I’m guessing 30 kids on team don’t live outside of district
When this was brought up before Wheelersburg posters said the out of district players weren't necessarily transfers because they had went to Wheelersburg since grade school. Now that the 40% number looks bad, we're gonna go back the other way :lol:
No not at all I’m just guessing that there aren’t 30 kids on the team that live outside of district.

I am not positive but I think the CB number is only for kids that live outside the district on a roster. If you move inside the district, say your sophomore year, it does not count towards the CB number.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Softballfan76 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:05 pm
fbnut wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:17 am
Urban wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:00 am

When this was brought up before Wheelersburg posters said the out of district players weren't necessarily transfers because they had went to Wheelersburg since grade school. Now that the 40% number looks bad, we're gonna go back the other way :lol:
No not at all I’m just guessing that there aren’t 30 kids on the team that live outside of district.

I am not positive but I think the CB number is only for kids that live outside the district on a roster. If you move inside the district, say your sophomore year, it does not count towards the CB number.
That’s right but if you live outside of district and enroll after 7th grade they add 2 to competitive balance number
If your competitive balance number is 30 that could be you only have 15 kids that live outside of your district on your team if they all enrolled in 9th grade

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Cato wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:08 am
Bleeding Red wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:16 pm
Urban wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:43 am

Ok
76 players were listed on the 2017 Roster
30 out of district players

30/76=39.47
So 40% of their roster doesn't live in district.
It's hard to argue the numbers.

One has to wonder why school district boundaries and age limits even apply anymore.

Then the irony when Burg loses to a private school and belly aches over it lol.
From the rumors going around that number is only gonna increase after this year. Combine that with several larger classes coming up and Wheelersburg will definitely move up to D4 football after this year as they were only 6 from the D4 cutoff this year. Huge difference from D5 to D4
Those rumors are true. Burg will be DIV in 2019. No way to avoid it. I don’t see much of a difference between DV and DIV. Burg is a machine that keeps on chugging. Who will we get first round of the playoffs? Waverly? How is that any different? Clinton Massie and Steuby will be the competition for that division. I think the Burg coaching staff can hold their own. They have grown tremendously over the past 10 years. I mean Woodward is 105-20 in 10 years at the helm. That’s pretty darn good, don’t you think?

Cato
Riding the Bench

Post by Cato »

I think you need to get on Spectrum and watch Steubenville. Those teams are a different animal

As an example. Year before last Waverly basically came within 1 yard of beating Wheelersburg. First round playoff game Germantown Valley View was up on Waverly at Waverly by about 40 in the 1st round of the playoffs.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Cato wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:58 pm I think you need to get on Spectrum and watch Steubenville. Those teams are a different animal

As an example. Year before last Waverly basically came within 1 yard of beating Wheelersburg. First round playoff game Germantown Valley View was up on Waverly at Waverly by about 40 in the 1st round of the playoffs.
I don’t remember the game where waverly was a yard away from beating the burg. Was there zero time on clock and waverly was on one yard line?

Cato
Riding the Bench

Post by Cato »

wobycat wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:19 pm
Cato wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:58 pm I think you need to get on Spectrum and watch Steubenville. Those teams are a different animal

I don’t remember the game where waverly was a yard away from beating the burg. Was there zero time on clock and waverly was on one yard line?
If I remember they got to the 1 and had a bad snap maybe. I remember Wheelersburg taking over and running out the clock

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Cato wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:31 pm

If I remember they got to the 1 and had a bad snap maybe. I remember Wheelersburg taking over and running out the clock
That doesn’t qualify as basically beating a team.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

😂. I’ve seen them play. I’ve watched a few of their games. Br you are comparing a team from what? 3 years ago? To the current program. A program that has grown leaps and bounds in those three years.

Basically coming within a yard of beating Burg. Laughable. So Burg should put an asterisk next to that win. Because they BASICALLY got beat, am I right? HELL NO. You are basically a moron for even dreaming that one up. 🤣 VV spanked Waverly. Good for them. That was then. This is the now. Get off it.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Come on wobycat you remember that play when they were on Burg’s 1 yd line and almost scored that 11 point TD. 😂😂😂. I was at that game and yes it was a good game but never questioned whether Burg would win or not. That is the closest Waverly has come in YEARS.

Waverly is NOT a good example to use when speaking of DIV football. Burg is 15-3 against them since 2000 with a average score of 35.2 to 12.9. Waverly hasn’t won is this series since 2006. Burg has also increased their margin of victory in the last 11 meetings to 42.2 to 8.7.

Im not saying once Burg makes the eventual move to DIV that they will never lose a game. But people need to give credit where credit is due. Burg has a tremendous program and has proved it on the field time and time again.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

There was a time I would have never bet against the Tigers. I feel that way now about the Burg. I don't see a move to DIV making that much of a difference. I think the Burg will do just fine.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

There is quite the difference in DIV and DV, but some will never admit to that. Let the season play out and let’s see how it goes.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Burg was pretty solid last year. I bet in D4 they would have made it to the state finals. Steubenville was on a different level though

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Sounds like some very good things coming out of the weight room this year, along with the total number of players attending. I for one and very happy to see the elevated competition on the schedule. Traveling to Columbus twice in three weeks will prove to be a real test for this team that again has very lofty expectations. Will they go 10-0 again, maybe, maybe not but weeks 2-5 will prove very beneficial come playoff time. Can't wait to hear The Ed rocking again this year! Go Burg!

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

thebarlowbandit wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:08 pm There is quite the difference in DIV and DV, but some will never admit to that. Let the season play out and let’s see how it goes.
Oh really? Hartley went from DV to DIV and immediately won two state titles. Against Steubenville no less, the school everyone seems to be in awe of. Hartley never won a state title in DV.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

Otto wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:17 pm
thebarlowbandit wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:08 pm There is quite the difference in DIV and DV, but some will never admit to that. Let the season play out and let’s see how it goes.
Oh really? Hartley went from DV to DIV and immediately won two state titles. Against Steubenville no less, the school everyone seems to be in awe of. Hartley never won a state title in DV.
Hartley could never figure out coldwater

thebarlowbandit
All State

Post by thebarlowbandit »

fbnut wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:08 pm
Otto wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 6:17 pm
Hartley could never figure out coldwater
Hartley also added a few more pieces to that puzzle over those years too with transfers and such. Just as Hartley today is not the team it was 2 and 3 years ago. And last time I checked, Burg hasn't figured out Coldwater either.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Re: 2018 Defending State Champs Wheelersburg Pirates Outlook

Post by Mad-Dogg »

not that it matters b/c that's why they play the game but i done a prediction from cal preps on all 10 games. they have us goin 9-1 and only bein held under 40 points two times. offense: 44.6 ppg defense: 4.6 ppg

WK 1: Wheelersburg 52 Ironton 0
WK 2: Bishop Hartley 28 Wheelersburg 26
WK 3: Wheelersburg 48 Heath 0
WK 4: Wheelersburg 42 Bishop Watterson 6
WK 5: Wheelersburg 41 Jackson 0
WK 6: Wheelersburg 49 Oak Hill 0
WK 7: Wheelersburg 44 Waverly 6
WK 8: Wheelersburg 56 Minford 0
WK 9: Wheelersburg 50 Valley 0
WK 10: Wheelersburg 38 Portsmouth West 8

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Best team is CCC but their schedule is brutal.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Hartley should be good test. Glad to see Burg and Trimble playing big time programs. The rest should be over before the kickoff for Burg

ManitouDan2
SE

Post by ManitouDan2 »

Did anyone treat the bruises and lacerations left on the young men that were drug into Wheelersburg to attend HS ? Asking for a friend .

Return to “Football”