2018 Defending State Champs Wheelersburg Pirates Outlook

TheNest20
Waterboy

Re: 2018 Defending State Champs Wheelersburg Pirates

Post by TheNest20 »

If you have to defend your legitimacy are you truly legitimate? If the people that get butthurt about people saying open enrollment helps burg would just not respond the "haters" would most likely just shut up because they most likely just want to get a reaction out of burg fans.

Urban
Riding the Bench

Post by Urban »

TheNest20 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:55 am If you have to defend your legitimacy are you truly legitimate? If the people that get butthurt about people saying open enrollment helps burg would just not respond the "haters" would most likely just shut up because they most likely just want to get a reaction out of burg fans.
It's facts.
Public schools complained for years that private schools had an unfair advantage. They could control their enrollment to play in a smaller division while having a talent level that exceeded the division. So Competitive Balance was created

It's common knowledge that all kids that apply to Wheelersburg aren't accepted. Posters have commented on here before that they personally know kids who were declined. If Wheelersburg picks and chooses players that they accept then they are no different than a private school.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Sounds to me like a lot of kids want to play for Burg.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

noreply66 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:37 am Sounds to me like a lot of kids want to play for Burg.
Smartest post on this thread so far

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

It's common knowledge that all kids that apply to Wheelersburg aren't accepted. Posters have commented on here before that they personally know kids who were declined. If Wheelersburg picks and chooses players that they accept then they are no different than a private school.
[/quote]

This is the most ridiculous post on this discussion. You actually believe that Burg is able to pick and choose who they want, and get away with it? With the scrutiny that Wheelersburg continues to receive, there is no way that this is the case. If there were kids that were turned away from attending this PUBLIC school, there would be an absolute uproar. Also if this was the case, they would not be flirting so closely with moving to DIV. They would cut "the ones they don't want" and moving divisions would never be an issue. You my friend are delusional.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Urban wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:29 am
TheNest20 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:55 am If you have to defend your legitimacy are you truly legitimate? If the people that get butthurt about people saying open enrollment helps burg would just not respond the "haters" would most likely just shut up because they most likely just want to get a reaction out of burg fans.
It's facts.
Public schools complained for years that private schools had an unfair advantage. They could control their enrollment to play in a smaller division while having a talent level that exceeded the division. So Competitive Balance was created

There is a huge misunderstanding of burgs CB.

First 95% of burg athletes have attended since grade school which probably ignites the “haters” argument. If burg has insight as to which athlete can be great at that age, then they should sell that secret, it would be worth millions. Outsiders try to make it sound like they are coming during the varsity years only, which a few have but not at the alarming rate that is assumed on this topic.

Secondly, quite a few of them live just outside the district but may be closer to the school or in the middle of two districts which might be economically be better for the family. Sciotoville, Webster, and green come to mind.

Finally, a coach that tells a kid that he may be better off not transferring due to a possibility of not getting playing time is the best coach to have. If that’s the only reason a player may come.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

noreply66 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:37 am Sounds to me like a lot of kids want to play for Burg.
I'm inclined to believe, given the district's academic reputation, that a lot of kids also want to learn at the 'Burg.

There seems to be a lot of complaining when the next varsity linebacker three-to-four years down the road enrolls into Wheelersburg's district, but seldom the dismay when the next Science Bowl participant goes there.

It's most likely what the district has to offer that gets kids to come. Certainly, good sports programs may act as a supplementary reason to transfer; however, the quality of education at 'Burg is pretty strong. Considering all of the challenges our public education systems have to work against (e.g. school choice movements, voucher programs, funding concerns), I think parents are being conscious of "the whole package" that can be offered to their children whether they attend 'Burg, Ports ND or other schools. This isn't a slight against other schools, but I think the whole "its for sports" rhetoric employed to undermine the 'Burg has no weight considering the district is one of the best in southern Ohio.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

The Burg has built a successful football program that has held steady for several years. Burg fans and players have nothing to explain to anyone. Much like the Trojans did in basketball and the Tigers did in football, a lot of success in any program boils down to ability and attitude. I am willing to bet that any player that is involved with a successful program, of any kind, wants to be there to contribute and play any position the coach deems is best for the team. You may be a hell of an athlete, but if you are not willing to do what is necessary for the team to succeed, you lose and hopefully the coach is wise enough not to allow you to bring the team down in doing so. So congratulations to the Burg on your success. You are the cream of the crop as far as SEO football programs and have proven yourself at the State level. The outsiders need to quit tearing down the Burg program and turn your attention inward to do what is necessary in building your own programs. The Burg is an example, not a whipping post.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
55buckeyes98
All Conference

Post by 55buckeyes98 »

There are already rumors that a couple of Portsmouth players are going to or already transferring in to the Burg for next year. Truth or rumor?

Redsfan
Freshman Team

Post by Redsfan »

I believe it is still just a rumor about the student athletes from Portsmouth, but I believe it to be fact that The Burg just had two other student athletes move into the district. One from Florida, and one from Watkins Memorial. The rich just keep getting richer!!

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Good programs will do that.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Who are these kids that just moved in? Is there any validity to this? Names? Grade? Any football experience?

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Don’t worry fellas. In 2019 Burg will be DIV. then you all can shut up about all of this nonsense. They will still dominate SEO. Then go smash Steuby for the title.

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

spider2Ybanana wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:38 am Wheelersburg has created a culture of winning and excellence both on the field and in the classroom that undoubtedly attracts families from the area. They offer opportunities that area schools simply aren't capable of offering both academically and athletically, and following the rules while doing so. Why wouldn't you want your child in a position to succeed, even if he/she doesn't play a sport? By eligibility standards, Wheelersburg abides by all laws and regulations. Does this give them an advantage in the classroom and on the field, of course, but to say they are wrong for doing so is simply ridiculous. The parents in each school system have the choice to start their child when they want to (as long as it allows them to be athletically eligible), and the fact that they decide not to take advantage of that opportunity is their choice. The argument isn't whether this choice is right or wrong because by OHSAA standards it is legal.
By creating this culture of success, Wheelersburg has gained control of the Southeast. Wheelersburg's goal is not to simply compete with teams in this area of the state, but to dominate it. The goal of a state championship is only a dream for most schools in the area, but it has become reality for Wheelersburg, and a yearly goal at that. Success breeds success and when kids see the opportunity to compete at the highest level in D5, they want to be apart of that. Wheelersburg will deal with moving to D4 when (if) this happens, but for now they focused on D5 and creating a culture of winning in the South.
I remember playing once at Wheelersburg. It would have been 1980 or 81. My Redmen lost, but it wasn't by a lot. I felt like back then that Wburg had their shite together.

In those days, Ironton was the school that attracted every top athlete within 20 miles. Everyone wanted to play for Bob Lutz. And who can blame them? You could get excellent coaching and compete in the playoffs. But it was irritating to know that we were missing 3 or 4 guys who could have really helped us.

So excellence and winning are attractive, and kids are going to go where it is attractive. It always has been that way, and always will. Even tho it skews things, I want parents to have choices and freedom to do what they think is best for their kids, so I can't blame a program for drawing talented kids to them. But I also think the school that is the beneficiary of these kids' talent should be humble and understand that their blessing is coming at the expense of others. Still, I think parental freedom and choice trumps the other problems that come with it.

So, I would say you all should milk it for what its worth and ride that train as long as it lasts. It eventually ends. Ask Ironton.

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:21 pm Don’t worry fellas. In 2019 Burg will be DIV. then you all can shut up about all of this nonsense. They will still dominate SEO. Then go smash Steuby for the title.
Be careful what you wish for. The Big Red ain't no joke. My nephew was a senior RB for New Philadelphia last year, and I went to Steubenville to watch him play against BR. First time I was ever at their stadium - which is beautiful and unique. Go there if you get the chance. It was over before the 1st qtr was up. Behind the visiting stands is a graveyard. Very eerie - and appropriate. It was death valley in there for NP. But those SBR guys play a very serious brand of football. "Intimidating" and "aggressive" might be appropriate descriptions. NP was a DIII playoff team and Big Red just smothered them, beat them up, and sent them home with their tails between their legs.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

IVCguy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:43 pm
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:21 pm Don’t worry fellas. In 2019 Burg will be DIV. then you all can shut up about all of this nonsense. They will still dominate SEO. Then go smash Steuby for the title.
Be careful what you wish for. The Big Red ain't no joke. My nephew was a senior RB for New Philadelphia last year, and I went to Steubenville to watch him play against BR. First time I was ever at their stadium - which is beautiful and unique. Go there if you get the chance. It was over before the 1st qtr was up. Behind the visiting stands is a graveyard. Very eerie - and appropriate. It was death valley in there for NP. But those SBR guys play a very serious brand of football. "Intimidating" and "aggressive" might be appropriate descriptions. NP was a DIII playoff team and Big Red just smothered them, beat them up, and sent them home with their tails between their legs.
Careful is one thing Jolly P is not. I think Burg could hold their own against Steuby.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

The only real test for Burg in 18 will be Hartley. That’s it. You can chalk up 9 wins. West may be 9-0 come week 10 again, but that won’t matter. Burg is on a completely different level than any team in Southeast Ohio. Take that to the bank. Transfers or not. If Burg is playing by the rules of the powers that be, let them be. If other schools are so upset about their kids leaving, they should give them something to stay for. A mediocre head coach in a mediocre program with mediocre attendance is a recipe to transfer. I know not everything is about athletics and education is a top priority for MOST parents. But to think that athletes don’t care about winning and being a part of that culture, you are sadly mistaken. Burg will be Burg and nothing will change that. What are the other schools going to do about it. Will they make the necessary changes or will they continue to play the name game and only field their friends kids? It happens EVERYWHERE.

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:59 pm The only real test for Burg in 18 will be Hartley. That’s it. You can chalk up 9 wins. West may be 9-0 come week 10 again, but that won’t matter. Burg is on a completely different level than any team in Southeast Ohio. Take that to the bank. Transfers or not. If Burg is playing by the rules of the powers that be, let them be. If other schools are so upset about their kids leaving, they should give them something to stay for. A mediocre head coach in a mediocre program with mediocre attendance is a recipe to transfer. I know not everything is about athletics and education is a top priority for MOST parents. But to think that athletes don’t care about winning and being a part of that culture, you are sadly mistaken. Burg will be Burg and nothing will change that. What are the other schools going to do about it. Will they make the necessary changes or will they continue to play the name game and only field their friends kids? It happens EVERYWHERE.
At 54 years old, careful may be my policy and experience. Lol.

Regardless, I wish the best for the Pirates.

All that said, don't think it's wise to hope to face the Big Red, and certainly not wise to think that you will blow through them. Just saying. There are some very serious footballers in Steubenville. :)

IVCguy
Riding the Bench

Post by IVCguy »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:50 pm
IVCguy wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:43 pm
Careful is one thing Jolly P is not. I think Burg could hold their own against Steuby.
Many have thought so. Many have been wrong. Lol.

I say that as no fan of Steuby, but as someone who has seen them take a quality program apart.

FaberGrad62
JV Team

Post by FaberGrad62 »

Any truth to Holden might not be playing this year in football?

Would be a huge hole to fill for Burg but they do still have some nice athletes coming back/

BLUTO

Return to “Football”