2018 Defending State Champs Wheelersburg Pirates Outlook

Cato
Riding the Bench

Re: 2018 Defending State Champs Wheelersburg Pirates

Post by Cato »

JTEK wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:41 pm There competitive balance number for basketball this year is a 6 which if you look at the D3 schools is pretty low. Also remember a tier 2 in basketball counts as 5 not 2 like football
Competitive balance for this year only takes into account last year's roster so Truitt definitely doesn't count. Is he the only new player?

I'm not downing Wheelersburgs success, but one would be fairly naive not to think that transfers aren't a large part of their success.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Cato wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:58 pm
JTEK wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:41 pm There competitive balance number for basketball this year is a 6 which if you look at the D3 schools is pretty low. Also remember a tier 2 in basketball counts as 5 not 2 like football
Competitive balance for this year only takes into account last year's roster so Truitt definitely doesn't count. Is he the only new player?

I'm not downing Wheelersburgs success, but one would be fairly naive not to think that transfers aren't a large part of their success.
I wonder why people don’t get on the threads of the schools that kids leave and ask them what they are doing or not doing that is driving kids out of their district. If truit moved into the district he will be a tier 0 and will add 0.

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

Cato wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:54 pm Is this true about 30 transfers on a Division 5 school? That is alot of transfers no matter what grade they started. There are alot of rumors going around about Wheelersburg recruiting at the middle school level. Aren't a majority of the varsity basketball players also transfers?
That’s pretty darn impressive that Wheelersburg is that good that they can predict how good middle school kids are going to be in high school and convince them they should transfer.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Cato wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:54 pm Is this true about 30 transfers on a Division 5 school? That is alot of transfers no matter what grade they started. There are alot of rumors going around about Wheelersburg recruiting at the middle school level. Aren't a majority of the varsity basketball players also transfers?
Actually not one student who attends Wheelersburg actually lives here in Burg. The only residents here are old people and babies. We cherry pick the cream of the crop from each local school district and bus them to our super secret athletic training facility. :roll: :roll: :roll:

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:40 pm
Actually not one student who attends Wheelersburg actually lives here in Burg. The only residents here are old people and babies. We cherry pick the cream of the crop from each local school district and bus them to our super secret athletic training facility. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Don’t forget the recruiting pamphlet. New home in Patriot Ridge for the family’s and a new car for the student. Patriot Ridge is outside the district by the way.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

I mean come on people make up your mind, it is the transfers or the 19 year old seniors that define our success. I wish everyone could settle on a factor lol because that has to be the reason right? I mean am I right? :roll:

Geez, man.

Urban
Riding the Bench

Post by Urban »

Abe Froman wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:56 am I mean come on people make up your mind, it is the transfers or the 19 year old seniors that define our success. I wish everyone could settle on a factor lol because that has to be the reason right? I mean am I right? :roll:

Geez, man.
It's both. Spin it how you want but 30 out of district players on one football team is a huge number. Players turning 19 years old in the fall and playing high school sports is rediculous no matter if it's "legal" or not.

Here are the highest Competitive Balance numbers from Division 5:
Cleveland Hts Lutheran East 79
Gilmour Academy 56
Summit Country Day 50
Cleveland Villa Angela St Joseph 44
Percell Marian 42
Canton Central Catholic 38
Elyria Catholic 37
Gahanna Columbus Academy 35
Columbus Bishop Ready 33
Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy 32
Wheelersburg 30

Just about all those schools are private schools.

Here are Division 5 CB numbers from local teams and Region 19:
Johnstown Monroe 7
Chesapeake 12
Portsmouth West 4
Rock Hill 7
Baltimore Liberty Union 5
Martins Ferry 7
Piketon 9
South Point 0
Wellston 11
Coshocton 3
Portsmouth 2
Belmont Union Local 5
Oak Hill 5
Ironton 14
West Lafayette Ridgewood 4
Minford 8
Fredricktown 7

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Urban wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:57 am
Abe Froman wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:56 am I mean come on people make up your mind, it is the transfers or the 19 year old seniors that define our success. I wish everyone could settle on a factor lol because that has to be the reason right? I mean am I right? :roll:

Geez, man.
It's both. Spin it how you want but 30 out of district players on one football team is a huge number. Players turning 19 years old in the fall and playing high school sports is rediculous no matter if it's "legal" or not.

Gilmour Academy 56
Summit Country Day 50
Percell Marian 42
Elyria Catholic 37
Columbus Bishop Ready 33
Wheelersburg 30

Johnstown Monroe 7
Chesapeake 12
Portsmouth West 4
Rock Hill 7
Martins Ferry 7
Piketon 9
South Point 0
Wellston 11
Coshocton 3
Portsmouth 2
Belmont Union Local 5
Oak Hill 5
Ironton 14
Minford 8
Fredricktown 7
So Burg has done the necessary to compete with the catholic schools and the well to do schools in the cold water region.

Great school, support, and coaching.

That would attract a lot of families who seek those opportunities, especially in the lower grade levels. Even having said that there are numerous student athletes that have transferred out of burg to other schools seeking something else. Those students could have been good student athletes here as well.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Geez, man.

Gilmour Academy 56
Summit Country Day 50
Percell Marian 42
Elyria Catholic 37
Columbus Bishop Ready 33
Wheelersburg 30

Johnstown Monroe 7
Chesapeake 12
Portsmouth West 4
Rock Hill 7
Martins Ferry 7
Piketon 9
South Point 0
Wellston 11
Coshocton 3
Portsmouth 2
Belmont Union Local 5
Oak Hill 5
Ironton 14
Minford 8
Fredricktown 7
You conveniently left Sciotoville Community School(Portsmouth East) off your list. They are a DVII Public School and their competitive balance number is 28. Yep 28. Their entire male enrollment is only 81.

Honestly it doesn’t matter what outsiders think of us. Unless you have been here as a student, athlete, or parent then you just will not get it. It’s not one thing that’s being done. It’s many things. You have to buy in and change the way you do things to OUR way. It will not change for you. If you are willing to do that then you will be successful on/off the field. So just continue to tear us down and we will continue to do what we do...SUCCEED.

spider2Ybanana
JV Team

Post by spider2Ybanana »

Wheelersburg has created a culture of winning and excellence both on the field and in the classroom that undoubtedly attracts families from the area. They offer opportunities that area schools simply aren't capable of offering both academically and athletically, and following the rules while doing so. Why wouldn't you want your child in a position to succeed, even if he/she doesn't play a sport? By eligibility standards, Wheelersburg abides by all laws and regulations. Does this give them an advantage in the classroom and on the field, of course, but to say they are wrong for doing so is simply ridiculous. The parents in each school system have the choice to start their child when they want to (as long as it allows them to be athletically eligible), and the fact that they decide not to take advantage of that opportunity is their choice. The argument isn't whether this choice is right or wrong because by OHSAA standards it is legal.
By creating this culture of success, Wheelersburg has gained control of the Southeast. Wheelersburg's goal is not to simply compete with teams in this area of the state, but to dominate it. The goal of a state championship is only a dream for most schools in the area, but it has become reality for Wheelersburg, and a yearly goal at that. Success breeds success and when kids see the opportunity to compete at the highest level in D5, they want to be apart of that. Wheelersburg will deal with moving to D4 when (if) this happens, but for now they focused on D5 and creating a culture of winning in the South.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Geez, man.

Gilmour Academy 56
Summit Country Day 50
Percell Marian 42
Elyria Catholic 37
Columbus Bishop Ready 33
Wheelersburg 30

What great company to be in academically and athletically, I view us on that level of excellence as well.

Thanks for pointing it out Urb.

bleed_blue
Varsity

Post by bleed_blue »

Geez, man.

Gilmour Academy 56
Summit Country Day 50
Percell Marian 42
Elyria Catholic 37
Columbus Bishop Ready 33
Wheelersburg 30

Johnstown Monroe 7
Chesapeake 12
Portsmouth West 4
Rock Hill 7
Martins Ferry 7
Piketon 9
South Point 0
Wellston 11
Coshocton 3
Portsmouth 2
Belmont Union Local 5
Oak Hill 5
Ironton 14
Minford 8
Fredricktown 7
With Wheelersburg real estate not being the cheapest what’s not accounted for and what has been grouped into these 30 “out of district” players are the ones that have attended Wheelersburg their entire academic career (which a majority of the kids have) are the people that have bought land and built or bought house just on the outskirts of Wheelersburg.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Geez, man.

Gilmour Academy 56
Summit Country Day 50
Percell Marian 42
Elyria Catholic 37
Columbus Bishop Ready 33
Wheelersburg 30

Johnstown Monroe 7
Chesapeake 12
Portsmouth West 4
Rock Hill 7
Martins Ferry 7
Piketon 9
South Point 0
Wellston 11
Coshocton 3
Portsmouth 2
Belmont Union Local 5
Oak Hill 5
Ironton 14
Minford 8
Fredricktown 7
People don’t go somewhere to only be mediocre. If you had a kid that had some talent would you stay at a school that’s 6-4 or worse year after year or do you go somewhere that run 10-0?

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

I always thought that having such a small school district helps in Burgs success. I believe that Burg has the smallest school district in Scioto county that fields a football team.
I would say that coaching and community support is the biggest reason though. It also helps that there is probably kids that live in every district in Scioto county that attends school at Wheelersburg. I do know that there is kids in the West and Northwest district that goes to Burg, but I think they have went there since kindergarden though.

Urban
Riding the Bench

Post by Urban »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:31 am
You conveniently left Sciotoville Community School(Portsmouth East) off your list. They are a DVII Public School and their competitive balance number is 28. Yep 28. Their entire male enrollment is only 81.
[/quote]

Evidently reading comprehension wasn't one of your better subjects.

And where does the argument that Wheelersburg is better academically come from? Standardized test scores of an entire school? That's an average, not an identifier of the education possibilities. Most other county schools have much more poverty which in turns means less support structure, which in turn lowers academics. These kids lower the standardized test averages.

JTEK
All State

Post by JTEK »

Geez, man.

Gilmour Academy 56
Summit Country Day 50
Percell Marian 42
Elyria Catholic 37
Columbus Bishop Ready 33
Wheelersburg 30

Johnstown Monroe 7
Chesapeake 12
Portsmouth West 4
Rock Hill 7
Martins Ferry 7
Piketon 9
South Point 0
Wellston 11
Coshocton 3
Portsmouth 2
Belmont Union Local 5
Oak Hill 5
Ironton 14
Minford 8
Fredricktown 7

Honestly it doesn’t matter what outsiders think of us. Unless you have been here as a student, athlete, or parent then you just will not get it. It’s not one thing that’s being done. It’s many things. You have to buy in and change the way you do things to OUR way. It will not change for you. If you are willing to do that then you will be successful on/off the field. So just continue to tear us down and we will continue to do what we do...SUCCEED.
Man if all it takes is big open enrollment numbers east should be competing for a state title every year

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

JTEK wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:02 pm

Gilmour Academy 56
Summit Country Day 50
Percell Marian 42
Elyria Catholic 37
Columbus Bishop Ready 33
Wheelersburg 30

Johnstown Monroe 7
Chesapeake 12
Portsmouth West 4
Rock Hill 7
Martins Ferry 7
Piketon 9
South Point 0
Wellston 11
Coshocton 3
Portsmouth 2
Belmont Union Local 5
Oak Hill 5
Ironton 14
Minford 8
Fredricktown 7

Man if all it takes is big open enrollment numbers east should be competing for a state title every year
I guess so since some people think that is all it takes. Lol

Urban
Riding the Bench

Post by Urban »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:42 pm
JTEK wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:02 pm Man if all it takes is big open enrollment numbers east should be competing for a state title every year
State title no, but East's recent success was based almost totally on transfers. The talent has dried up and the coach left.

Wheelersburg obviously has an excellent football history. But there are reasons for the success besides coaching, expectations, and following. Several local schools have those things, but they don't have 30 transfers and old 18/19 year old seniors. Put that on Jackson, Waverly, Portsmouth West, etc and they are winning alot more games too. The playing field isn't equal.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Urban wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:06 pm
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:42 pm
JTEK wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:02 pm Man if all it takes is big open enrollment numbers east should be competing for a state title every year
State title no, but East's recent success was based almost totally on transfers. The talent has dried up and the coach left.

Wheelersburg obviously has an excellent football history. But there are reasons for the success besides coaching, expectations, and following. Several local schools have those things, but they don't have 30 transfers and old 18/19 year old seniors. Put that on Jackson, Waverly, Portsmouth West, etc and they are winning alot more games too. The playing field isn't equal.
Well folks, I think he got us!!! Tell him what he’s won Johnnie....a lifetime supply of Burg apparel. All we need is your mailing address. I think you live up there in EnvyVille. That’s just about 20 miles northwest of JealousTown if I’m not mistaken. Goodnight folks, remember to tip your waitress.

Looking forward to another great season of cheering on our Defending DV State Champions...The Wheelersburg Pirates☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️☠️

Urban
Riding the Bench

Post by Urban »

Typical Response

Return to “Football”