High School State Powers

countywide35
SEOP

High School State Powers

Post by countywide35 »

ok people. Lets start a conversation or debate over what should be the numerical order from 1-5 of the states with the best high school football programs, teams, athletes and recruiting for NCAA. once given provide insight on why you think this and lets see what kind of of interesting topics we can create throughout. my states are as followed:

1. OHIO (I am bias and OHIO will be always be #1)
2. FLORIDA (speed, speed, and more speed)
3. California ( athletes, athletes, athletes)
4. Texas (no matter what; the movie "Friday Night Lights" earned Texas an all-time spot on my top 5 lol)
5. Pennsylvania (Allegheny mountains breeding grounds for football)

Interested to see what other people consider the holy grounds of high school football!

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Slappy
Riding the Bench

Re: High School State Powers

Post by Slappy »

I wish I could say that Ohio HSFB is as good as it was 10-15 years ago but it has slipped. Florida,Texas,Cali, all have many more top level players and teams than us. Georgia has even surpassed Ohio in HSFB, Our D1 state champ would be beaten handily by several teams from Fla. Tex. and Cali. Urban can't rely on Ohio recruits as much as we wish, most of the 4 and 5* players live in the southeast and Texas.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Georgia and Florida are the two best

hateraid
Varsity

Post by hateraid »

Florida is hands down the most fertile recruiting area in the country. Then I would say Texas is second. There is a reason the SEC wins the Natty every year.... these players are in their back yard.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

hateraid wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:50 am Florida is hands down the most fertile recruiting area in the country. Then I would say Texas is second. There is a reason the SEC wins the Natty every year.... these players are in their back yard.
They will win it this year but they only have 1 of the last 4 not counting this year

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

IN ADDITION TO WHO HAS BEEN MENTIONED.GEORGIA, ALABAMA AND MISS. AND LOUSIANNA ARE BIG BREEDING SCHOOLS GROUNDS TO FER TOP ATHLETES. LOOK AT AN ATHLON MAGAZINE AND SEE WHERE RECRUITS ARE COMING FROM. MICHIGAN IS FERTILE GROUND AS WELL. BUT LIKE YOU OHIO WILL ALWAYS BE NUMBER 1 IN MY BOOK.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

OHIO STATE HAS BEEN HITTING UP TEXAS AND FLORIDA HARD AND THE PLACES LIKE IMG, AND BOSCO PREP , GORMAN AND SUCH.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

chip Kelly at UCLA , Tom Herman at Texas, Scott Frost at Nebraska, maybe tough to get the west coast kids come to east......those three coaches and schools just previously mentioned will soon be on the national front stage and they can recruit......

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Texas
Ohio
Florida
Alabama
California

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

countywide35 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:44 pm chip Kelly at UCLA , Tom Herman at Texas, Scott Frost at Nebraska, maybe tough to get the west coast kids come to east......those three coaches and schools just previously mentioned will soon be on the national front stage and they can recruit......
absolutely country. I know my buddy dave rimington is very excited about the hiring of scott frost. he was the interim Nebraska AD during the search until they hired a full time AD.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

I have been to state championships in Ohio numerous times.

I have been to 1 state championship in Georgia between Warner Robbins and Statesboro in 2004.

There is no comparison. Georgia football is far superior to Ohio football.

What I like most about Georgia's State Championships is that the semifinals are held in Atlanta (Georgia Dome at the time...probably Mercedes-Benz Stadium now.) The Finals are held at one of the team's stadiums depending upon the rotation that year. In 2004, it was held in Statesboro, but Warner Robins won, 34-13.

For you Bengals' fans, James Brooks played his high school career at Warner Robins.

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

In my opinion Ohio has always been top 5 and I don’t see it changing. Our d1 football was down this year but it will be back. The only comparisons i know of to judge this would be herbstreits Ohio vs USA challenge.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Georgia is definitely a power state. and especially the Atlanta area.......if you do some college football history research and with it all around the Atlanta area you will see it is football rich.....and they are playing for a national title tonight!......I I love talking football and all aspects of it....all these states produce world class athletes....but one thing these kids have to do immediately heading into college is come into a program and immediately fit in and have a team chemistry...and quite frankly that is very difficult to do.....athletes anymore hardly ever stay together for a full tenure of a college degree. so we don't get to see much of a team full of upper classmen and graduate students... could you imagine some of the teams in modern day college football with 4 and 5 year starters in multiple positions on both sides of the ball???

X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X
SEOPS

Post by X8XOHIOLEGENDX7X »

I believe top 5 would be about the same as every one.

1.texas
2.florida
3.ohio
4.california
5.georgia

Winners never quit. And quitters never win! Vince Lombardi
Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

It is Texas and then everyone else.

They had 40k+ for their big school final. It just means a little more in Texas.

As far as pure talent for the college ranks, it is Florida and then everyone else.

But if you combine programs, talent, tradition and fan support, Texas is in a class by itself.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

PA is not the football state people think it is. There are many areas in Pennsylvania where the football quality is atrocious. New Jersey is on par with, if not superior to, PA.

The problem with the Deep South’s football, TX and FL generally notwithstanding, is the fact it’s about talent and flare instead of being methodical and fundamental. I’ve yet to see an actually good team play on television from AL, GA, LA, MS, TN, or SC. I see good collections of division one talent wearing the same uniform, but no one that I would put against St. Edward or Pickerington Central with an expectation of them winning.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

The south east has the most D1 athletes but Ohio is on par with any state. Ohio is still top 5 in active nfl players

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

As far as producing D1 recruits in 2016, Texas was #1 (population 27 million), followed by #2 Florida (population 20 million), then #3 California (population almost 40 million). It was close among those 3 states. They should produce more D1 recruits than Ohio (11.5 million), Pennsylvania (12.5 million), New Jersey (9 million), and Georgia (10 million), having a much greater population. Ohio does very well per capita, though.

The state of Texas puts out a football yearbook every year detailing every high school, college, and professional team in the state. I don't think there's a state in the USA that has more passion for the gridiron sport than does Texas. Like Crab's brother said, 40K for the big school championship is impressive, far more than Ohio's D1 final. The weather for the Ohio D1 final was not brutally cold like in past years, yet the attendance was not overwhelming.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Without question, Texas, Florida, and California are tops. Next I would say Georgia and Louisiana. Ohio and Pennsylvania are still fertile recruiting grounds. Their problem is at best a stable population that is aging. The number of school age children is decreasing thus a shrinking pool of possible D1 athletes. Demographics is destiny.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Dabo Sweeny slipped here into Ohio and stole one from Urban. I can see where PA maybe have fallen some in respect over the years but if so, not too much and still produce quality athletes. New Jersey def. is putting out some players as well. Wisconsin starting TB Jonathon Taylor is from New Jersey. He has a nickname from one of his mentors calling him "lil jersey". Asked the mentor why he calls him "lil jersey" and he responded by saying "because I am Big Jersey" which is Ron Dayne! So Wisconsin definitely been cashing in on the NJ preps!

Return to “Football”