What are some ways they can make the game SAFER????

farmer8
Riding the Bench

What are some ways they can make the game SAFER????

Post by farmer8 »

Any ideas?????? :D :D

WHOS YOUR FARMER?????
wobycat
SEOPS

Re: What are some ways they can make the game SAFER????

Post by wobycat »

Stop playing it. It’s a violent game but if you must play it. I have some ideas as far as amateur levels

1. Stop playing tackle as soon as they come out of the birth canal. 5th and 6th grade is pushing it. Flag at least until then. Helps learn technique wise

2. Contact in practice can be lessened with the advanced equipment they have now

3. Be football ready strength wise.

4. Wear proper equipment

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

I like the idea of less contact in practice and you can teach safer tackling techniques than we used to.

For example: We have recently been teaching kids to put their heads behind runners when tackling.

You used to stress getting the head across (in front of him).

Go to You Tube and see "Hawk Tackling" and they have a nice video by the Seahawks talking about this very issue.

coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

fortdawg wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:54 pm I like the idea of less contact in practice and you can teach safer tackling techniques than we used to.

For example: We have recently been teaching kids to put their heads behind runners when tackling.

Go to You Tube and see "Hawk Tackling" and they have a nice video by the Seahawks talking about this very issue.
I have seen the video and it is some good stuff but not getting your head in front of the runner I question. But good stuff coaches should look at it.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Take off the helmet and the pads...

A7FL

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.www.co ... s-football

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

In addition, the use of Vector Mouthguard with ESP chip technology will track head injuries from the sidelines.

http://www.a7fl.com/a7fl-signs-agreement-i1-biometrics/

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

At the high school level, they cost $99 per athlete.

http://www.12news.com/mobile/article/ne ... /491132802

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

don't play it is the only way for it to be safer. football is a collision sport, not a contact sport. and you throw a 15 yarder on a defensive player for helmet contact but a running back can go head first and not a thing happens. it's a calculated risk. and you know that going on. it's played by violent people with bad intentions. you know you're gonna get hurt going in, it's just a matter of when and how bad.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Blackjack
JV Team

Post by Blackjack »

Only let Snowflakes play..... Hahahahahaha

Bait is correct, tuff people play football not a bunch of pansies.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I think you could totally rework the uniform in a way that the helmet was some how hooked to the shoulder pads to create a situation would you could eliminate most critical knock injuries. I mean shoulder pads and helmets would look probably totally different. Maybe make a flack jacket mandatory then I think you would manly be looking about same injuries as any other sport.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

coach knows wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:08 am
fortdawg wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:54 pm I like the idea of less contact in practice and you can teach safer tackling techniques than we used to.

I have seen the video and it is some good stuff but not getting your head in front of the runner I question. But good stuff coaches should look at it.
This isn't something new, this is however something that more and more teams are teaching. Pete Carroll started using it at Seattle and has stated you can actually tackle proper technique this way with any pads or helmet. It come from them studying rugby and the technique they use as they don't seem to have as many issues as regular football. You question not getting your head in front of the runner, but would you rather see kids trying to run a player down from an angle and get their head in front of a ball carrier going full speed causing a possible nasty hit to the head?? Or as is taught your aiming point is behind the runner through the hip area with your head on the backside and wrapping his legs he goes down. OSU is another team that uses this as do a number of high school teams and even pee wee teams in the area. My understanding when I first started looking at this 1-2 years ago that leagues from pros all the way down were supposed to have a book as they felt this was a method of tackling going forward that could help everyone.

If all teams across the country agreed no tackling before X age then I think it could be beneficial. What I have seen though is teams or players that have played tackle 1-2 years longer in grades 3/4 then hitting 5/6 and playing teams who haven't tackled before almost creates more of an injury issue because of the team knowing how to tackle properly vs team not knowing at that point. A neurologist at the AJ Green football camp 3 years ago, held a small clinic for information and a Q & A with parents. He said if he had a child he wouldn't recommend playing tackle till 14 years old or so.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

svac83 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:39 pm I think you could totally rework the uniform in a way that the helmet was some how hooked to the shoulder pads to create a situation would you could eliminate most critical knock injuries. I mean shoulder pads and helmets would look probably totally different. Maybe make a flack jacket mandatory then I think you would manly be looking about same injuries as any other sport.
Think you could be onto something if done properly on this one. If there was a way to limit the severe whiplash as a player hits the ground and prevent players from lowering their head and hitting with the crown of their helmet, like Shazier, then that could be a start. I think a lot of concussions when you watch games are by 1 of these 2 ways. Not going to stop them entirely however.

Riding the Bench

Post by 645945 »

Play the game on dirt not the rubberized playing surfaces.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

greygoose wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:11 pm
svac83 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:39 pm I think you could totally rework the uniform in a way that the helmet was some how hooked to the shoulder pads to create a situation would you could eliminate most critical knock injuries. I mean shoulder pads and helmets would look probably totally different. Maybe make a flack jacket mandatory then I think you would manly be looking about same injuries as any other sport.
Think you could be onto something if done properly on this one. If there was a way to limit the severe whiplash as a player hits the ground and prevent players from lowering their head and hitting with the crown of their helmet, like Shazier, then that could be a start. I think a lot of concussions when you watch games are by 1 of these 2 ways. Not going to stop them entirely however.
no but between this and maybe some new helmet technology i think you could get concussions close to say as some sports. This would totally change the game because it would take some of the athleticism out of game and players would have to adjust. but it would be the same disadvantage to offense and defense. because of these limitations a player in a lot of situations could not get his head in a possession to make some of the older the shoulder catches and things and it would limit some fields of vision but this would be same and athletes and play calling would adjust.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

645945 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:40 pm Play the game on dirt not the rubberized playing surfaces.
Not sure that matters any, on dirt seen where lack of rain makes ground harder and helmet hitting the ground is worse. Seen the field that was a sloppy mess, and sod not set up causing leg injuries.

Riding the Bench

Post by 645945 »

greygoose wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:16 pm
645945 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:40 pm Play the game on dirt not the rubberized playing surfaces.
Not sure that matters any, on dirt seen where lack of rain makes ground harder and helmet hitting the ground is worse. Seen the field that was a sloppy mess, and sod not set up causing leg injuries.

Hardened dirt will give more than a blacktop surface with rubber padding.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Wrap everyone in bubble wrap

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

645945 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:08 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:16 pm

Hardened dirt will give more than a blacktop surface with rubber padding.
:?: REALLY so the 3-4 inches of grass turf length that is quite soft when you first put it down and the cut up rubber, dirt substitute, that is laid down throughout the surface that is placed on a graded out dirt surface, thus the padding. Is not going to give anymore than that exact hardened dirt, which hasn't seen rain for 2-3 weeks, that it was placed on to begin with??? :?: YEAH let's think about that for a moment

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I can only speak for my high school. Gallia Academy but I don’t think you can get much less contact in practice then you get now. I think the Blue Devils maybe had 7 full contact full speed practices last year. From first day thru end of season. Shoot they only bother to even put pads on like 1 or 2 days a week after season starts and that is more for receivers qb’s and running backs to get used to what they are doing in pads.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:21 pm don't play it is the only way for it to be safer. football is a collision sport, not a contact sport. and you throw a 15 yarder on a defensive player for helmet contact but a running back can go head first and not a thing happens. it's a calculated risk. and you know that going on. it's played by violent people with bad intentions. you know you're gonna get hurt going in, it's just a matter of when and how bad.
well said......

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion

Return to “Football”