Leagues That Your School Has Been A Member Of

one Oak
JV Team

Leagues That Your School Has Been A Member Of

Post by one Oak »

What leagues have they been in and what other schools were members? Here are the ones that I know of for Oak Hill.

Big Six Scioto Valley Football Association formed in 1932 consisted of Oak Hill, New Boston, Portsmouth Central Catholic, Sciotoville East, Wheelersburg, and Waverly. Jackson and Manchester were invited to join, but declined the invitation. Portsmouth Central Catholic dominated the league that only lasted until 1938. OHHS failed to win a championship.

Ohio Valley Conference formed in 1954. The founding members were Oak Hill, Wheelersburg, Rock Hill, Chesapeake, Coal Grove, and South Point.

Southern Valley Athletic Conference that Oak Hill joined in the mid 80's included Southwesten, Symmes Valley, Southern, Eastern, North Gallia, Kyger Creek and Hannan Trace.

The Oaks joined the SOC I in the early 90's and will move to the SOC II in 2019.

I believe the Oaks were also in the Southern Buckeye Conference at one time. OHHS was invited to the organizational meeting of the SEOAL in 1925 but declined to join because of school size.
Last edited by one Oak on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hsfbfan
Varsity

Re: Leagues That Your Scool Has Been A Member Of

Post by hsfbfan »

Wellston was a founding member of the SEOAL in 1925 and remained a member for 57 years thru the 1981-82 school year. In the 1982-83 school year Wellston became a member the TVC where they now compete in the Ohio division.

wipala
Varsity

Post by wipala »

Portsmouth High School has been member of several leagues in its history but the league I remember was the GOL Greater Ohio League, I think this
league consisted of PHS, Middletown, Springfield, Hamilton and LIma. Springfield and Hamillton at one time split into two schools each. This league was the league of the late 40's and 50's even into the early 60's. GOL won state titles in all the so called major sports and for academics it was at the top of the latter as well. The rest of the schools in the GOL grew and we know the history of Portsmouth...

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

one Oak wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:36 pm What leagues have they been in and what other schools were members? Here are the ones that I know of for Oak Hill.

Big Six Scioto Valley Football Association formed in 1932 consisted of Oak Hill, New Boston, Portsmouth Central Catholic, Sciotoville East, Wheelersburg, and Waverly. Jackson and Manchester were invited to join, but declined the invitation. Portsmouth Central Catholic dominated the league that only lasted until 1938. OHHS failed to win a championship.

Ohio Valley Conference formed in 1954. The founding members were Oak Hill, Wheelersburg, Rock Hill, Chesapeake, Coal Grove, and South Point.

Southern Valley Athletic Conference that Oak Hill joined in the mid 80's included Southwesten, Symmes Valley, Southern, Eastern, North Gallia, Kyger Creek and Hannan Trace.

The Oaks joined the SOC I in the early 90's and will move to the SOC II in 2019.

I believe the Oaks were also in the Southern Buckeye Conference at one time. OHHS was invited to the organizational meeting of the SEOAL in 1925 but declined to join because of school size.
Thank you for the nugget of information on the Big 6 SVFA. Pre WW2 high school football history for many schools in SEO is sketchy at best

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

ironton has been in the okac, seoal, ovc, and independent , and I think the ole col.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:25 pm ironton has been in the okac, seoal, ovc, and independent , and I think the ole col.
Ironton was in the Central Ohio League from 1963 through spring 1968.

Question for you YTB, I remember the OKAC quite well. Was there another version of the OKAC known as the Tri State Athletic Conference? My carotids are not flowing well today.

bman
SEO

Re: Leagues That Your School Has Been A Member Of

Post by bman »

Logan Elm was a founding school of the Scioto Valley Conference and joined the Mid-State League in the mid-1970s.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Vinton County was part of the Mid-Ohio Valley Conference in its first year after consolidation. (McArthur High School competed in this Conference) after 1 year, VC left the MOVC and spent 2 years as an independent trying to become a member of the SEOAL. After the powers that be declined their admittance, VC teamed up with Warren, Federal Hocking, and Belpre to create the Tri-Valley Conference in 1969. The rest as they say, is history.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Omega wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:48 pm
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:25 pm ironton has been in the okac, seoal, ovc, and independent , and I think the ole col.
Ironton was in the Central Ohio League from 1963 through spring 1968.

Question for you YTB, I remember the OKAC quite well. Was there another version of the OKAC known as the Tri State Athletic Conference? My carotids are not flowing well today.
I don't recall that name. the okac was the ohio Kentucky athletic conferfence. I'd ask riverratray or bubblegumtiger, they're the 2 oldest people I know, lol
don't ring a bell to me though.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
GoBucks1047
JV Team

Post by GoBucks1047 »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Ea ... onferences

If this is correct, there was a Tri State Athletic Conference. It had all the OKAC members plus Barboursville, Huntington, and Huntington East. This also has many other conferences listed that hopefully provides history accurately for those interested in looking for their school, and then posting it on here.

Clay (no football) was apart of the Scioto County League from the 1938 until 1979 where they joined the SOC. They were also apart of 2nd league from 1964-85 called the Tri-County League composed of the smaller schools in Adams, Pike, and Scioto County who weren’t apart of the SOC prior to 1979.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

GoBucks1047 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:42 am https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_Ea ... onferences

If this is correct, there was a Tri State Athletic Conference. It had all the OKAC members plus Barboursville, Huntington, and Huntington East. This also has many other conferences listed that hopefully provides history accurately for those interested in looking for their school, and then posting it on here.

Clay (no football) was apart of the Scioto County League from the 1938 until 1979 where they joined the SOC. They were also apart of 2nd league from 1964-85 called the Tri-County League composed of the smaller schools in Adams, Pike, and Scioto County who weren’t apart of the SOC prior to 1979.

Thanks for the memory jog. The TSAC included Huntington, Huntington East, and Barboursville plus the OKAC schools from 1975 to 1980. The OKAC ran from 1976 to 1994 without the WV schools.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth HS was a charter member of the SEOAL in 1925, then PHS joined the Southern Ohio League (not the SOC), then became a member of the very competitive and prestigious Greater Ohio League. The Trojans were a member of the GOL for almost 30 years. After the GOL, PHS had a brief membership in the Tri-State Athletic Conference in the late 70's, then went independent until 1986, when it joined the Ohio-Kentucky Athletic Conferece (Portsmouth, Ironton, and 4 KY schools, Russell, Boyd County, Greenup County, and Ashland. The OKAC lasted until 1993, after which PHS went independent again until in joined the SEOAL in 2007, and remained a member until 2015. Currently the Trojans are a member of the OVC.

Return to “Football”