Truth Doesn't Have a Side

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Truth Doesn't Have a Side

Post by greygoose »

Phoenix31 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:26 am
greygoose wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:01 am
Phoenix31 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:44 pm
Awesome that it has worked in practice for Catholics in Cincinnati.....
Worked in practice?? It worked over the course of a season and I don't see any relevance to them being Catholics, unless you have an issue with Catholics or something. Judging by tone and your response to the lawsuit you simply just can't stand that someone is trying to make it safer and quite possibly succeeding, time will tell more on that.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Worked in practice?? It worked over the course of a season and I don't see any relevance to them being Catholics, unless you have an issue with Catholics or something. Judging by tone and your response to the lawsuit you simply just can't stand that someone is trying to make it safer and quite possibly succeeding, time will tell more on that.
Greygoose, your previous post was whopperjawed so I just posted the above.

Look up "in practice" please. It means "in reality".....instead of in theory. My previous two posts were compliments.

Please take your medication. I have told several of my friends that many of you on here - the so-called defender of the football faith - are hilarious to interact with.

:mrgreen:

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Phoenix31 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 am

Look up "in practice" please. It means "in reality".....instead of in theory. My previous two posts were compliments.

Please take your medication. I have told several of my friends that many of you on here - the so-called defender of the football faith - are hilarious to interact with.

That works, that's one thing with reading a screen can't read intent behind it. You really talk about this site with friends??? I'm sorry. Are these "friends" more followers of the great "dr" $10 book and hang on everything he says, I mean you can't have to many followers right. I'm just glad you were able to see outside the box if even for a moment.
Last edited by greygoose on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Wow i have a lot to say on this subject. First of all yes there are going to be more lawsuits and football is going to lose a lot of them. But if people in football is smart they can make changes today that will eliminate them from ever losing another one on the next group of kids. Every single one of these lawsuits i have saw succeed have one thing in common. The football organization either made claims that there were no dangers or underplayed the dangers or over played what they were doing to make things more safe.

Secondly There a ton of posts on here that say you cannot make football more safe. If you believe that you are insane. If you dont think football is getting more safe every year you are crazy. Especially at high school level and below. If it is not at your school and in your community then shame on you. If you love the game and want to see it survive then you need to be an activist in your community. But i would say it is absolutely getting safer everywhere.

Thirdly there is already counter science out there. Look i am not saying football not dangerous and causing brain injuries. But there our doctors out there that will tell you that your 3 or 4 year old running across floor and jumping into your couch or bed is doing as much jarring to that kids soft growing head then a football hit at age 12.... This is a conversation that wont go away and shouldn't we should care about safety of people.

But this whole 18 and age of consent so after that it is up to kid it is crazy. the evidence out there shows us you are like 23 before you are really operating and reasoning as adult. But yet we have kids that are emancipated sometimes as young as 14?

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

greygoose wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:38 pm
Phoenix31 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:20 am

That works, that's one thing with reading a screen can't read intent behind it. You really talk about this site with friends??? I'm sorry. Are these "friends" more followers of the great "dr" $10 book and hang on everything he says, I mean you can't have to many followers right. I'm just glad you were able to see outside the box if even for a moment.
I have friends who know the people who run SEOP. I have been on here since this site's inception and others before that in Ohio and Kentucky.

I think outside the box constantly as an innovator of education and athletics. I once ran a makeshift fake punt from my own goalline against Fort Thomas Highlands (northern KY school with 25 state championships, I believe) knowing that this would be my best chance to give my team some confidence. It worked. We scored 2 plays later after the fake punt went for 70+ yards. It was our only score. Our fans were so excited because they knew that we were outmanned and outgunned against them. Heck, their kicker even kicked a 53 yard field goal!!!

Greygoose, I know from your posts on other threads that you are a football coach.....and probably a good one.

Congrats.

Piece of advice.

A person doesn't make himself or herself taller by taking out your opponent's or adversary's knees.

Thanks for reading.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Thanks for the compliment, I also know you mean well by trying to post on the importance of CTE. However, I have to say a fake punt from the goalline is crazy but have to admit one that no one would expect. LOL. Good luck with your cause I truly do hope a difference can be made speaking as a parent and a coach we take concussions or even possibility of one VERY seriously and air on the side of caution. We check with our kids constantly before and after games and practice to make sure no one is feeling any slight effects of a possible concussion. There is no full contact scout team offense vs scout team defense, not sending backups who aren't ready up against kids who will hand it to them that teaches nothing. Even in 1-1 drills try to match kids up accordingly. Classes are given and are mandatory for coaches on concussion protocols and signs to watch for with a player. Hopefully doing all of these things will help going forward if we can't eliminate the problem maybe we can help mitigate it.

Good luck to everyone reading through these post as we move forward with greater regulations and technology hopefully we can get a better grasp of the dangers that come with this sport and make it a lot more safe for these kids playing the game.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

svac83 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:48 pm Wow i have a lot to say on this subject. First of all yes there are going to be more lawsuits and football is going to lose a lot of them. But if people in football is smart they can make changes today that will eliminate them from ever losing another one on the next group of kids. Every single one of these lawsuits i have saw succeed have one thing in common. The football organization either made claims that there were no dangers or underplayed the dangers or over played what they were doing to make things more safe.

Secondly There a ton of posts on here that say you cannot make football more safe. If you believe that you are insane. If you dont think football is getting more safe every year you are crazy. Especially at high school level and below. If it is not at your school and in your community then shame on you. If you love the game and want to see it survive then you need to be an activist in your community. But i would say it is absolutely getting safer everywhere.

Thirdly there is already counter science out there. Look i am not saying football not dangerous and causing brain injuries. But there our doctors out there that will tell you that your 3 or 4 year old running across floor and jumping into your couch or bed is doing as much jarring to that kids soft growing head then a football hit at age 12.... This is a conversation that wont go away and shouldn't we should care about safety of people.

But this whole 18 and age of consent so after that it is up to kid it is crazy. the evidence out there shows us you are like 23 before you are really operating and reasoning as adult. But yet we have kids that are emancipated sometimes as young as 14?
18 is the legal age in the USA for not needing parental approval for signing legal documents and making your own medical decisions. That was the point that I was making. 21 is the legal age for gambling and alcohol and other items.

I know that I was 5'6" and about 140 pounds at the age of 12. I know that I hit harder in football at that age than a 3 or 4 year old jumping onto a couch and bumping his head; however, I do understand your point.

Let me rephrase the statement about safety in football. As long as a running back and linebacker continue to be able to legally meet and collide helmet-to-helmet at the line of scrimmage, then football will not be safe. There will be no equipment made that will 100% keep the brain in place without sloshing against the skull given the force exerted on each head. Even Luke Kuechly's experimental neck collar will not prevent collisions of the brain with the skull - even if it lessens the force at impact. Please refer back to Newton's 3 laws of motion.

How would football regulate against the collisions at the line of scrimmage?

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

greygoose wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:19 am Thanks for the compliment, I also know you mean well by trying to post on the importance of CTE. However, I have to say a fake punt from the goalline is crazy but have to admit one that no one would expect. LOL. Good luck with your cause I truly do hope a difference can be made speaking as a parent and a coach we take concussions or even possibility of one VERY seriously and air on the side of caution. We check with our kids constantly before and after games and practice to make sure no one is feeling any slight effects of a possible concussion. There is no full contact scout team offense vs scout team defense, not sending backups who aren't ready up against kids who will hand it to them that teaches nothing. Even in 1-1 drills try to match kids up accordingly. Classes are given and are mandatory for coaches on concussion protocols and signs to watch for with a player. Hopefully doing all of these things will help going forward if we can't eliminate the problem maybe we can help mitigate it.

Good luck to everyone reading through these post as we move forward with greater regulations and technology hopefully we can get a better grasp of the dangers that come with this sport and make it a lot more safe for these kids playing the game.
Awesome! Thanks.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

I think this has been an interesting conversation. But for anyone who doesn't believe how much less contact goes on now then in years past this fall go to practice. And watch practice a few days. Even during prime coaching season. Last season i think gallia academy had there 5 days of of conditioning. They do not practice on that Saturday. Did full speed tackling drills for about 15 minutes Monday and Tuesday. on Wednesday they had a scrimmage against Athens. i think lineman went full speed during there one on one drills how the teams basically ran a 7 on 7 in pads for about an hour. then even when they went to a full scrimmage they basically played touch or on until contact. then each team ran 10 or 12 plays hard and they were done. on Thursday and Friday they went t shirts and shorts. Saturday was the OVC preview. on that Monday team went in to game week things for jamboree game. Monday film and lifting and conditioning. Tuesday they worked on offensive game plan helmets and shoulder pads no full speed Wednesday defense same thing Thursday. Friday game day. during season if they had any practices with full contact it would of happened on Monday or a few minutes on Tuesday but maybe that happened once. so maybe this team went full contact in practice for a couple of hours all year.

We need to make more improvements and keep everyone on task to be as safe as possible. And i am not sure if everyone has it but trainer is at every varsity practice over summer and during school year. She keeps a stop watch and even when the temp is not in danger zone make sure water brakes happen at scheduled times and if temperature is a problem they are inside or suspended until a later time to practice.

The future of football willdefinetly look different then now but who knows what game looks like in 5 years.

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

People dressing up and intentionally running into each other is not safe. Football has been played for years and people get injured. Injuries are unavoidable and unfortunate. Some are more serious than others. We each make decisions and have to take the risks with those decisions. We don’t always have to be told the risks of an activity could prove detrimental. I’m fairly confident that if I continually hit myself in my head with a hammer it’s probably not good long term. Be as safe and responsible as a person can be and accept the risks of decisions.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

svac83 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:45 pm I think this has been an interesting conversation. But for anyone who doesn't believe how much less contact goes on now then in years past this fall go to practice. And watch practice a few days. Even during prime coaching season. Last season i think gallia academy had there 5 days of of conditioning. They do not practice on that Saturday. Did full speed tackling drills for about 15 minutes Monday and Tuesday. on Wednesday they had a scrimmage against Athens. i think lineman went full speed during there one on one drills how the teams basically ran a 7 on 7 in pads for about an hour. then even when they went to a full scrimmage they basically played touch or on until contact. then each team ran 10 or 12 plays hard and they were done. on Thursday and Friday they went t shirts and shorts. Saturday was the OVC preview. on that Monday team went in to game week things for jamboree game. Monday film and lifting and conditioning. Tuesday they worked on offensive game plan helmets and shoulder pads no full speed Wednesday defense same thing Thursday. Friday game day. during season if they had any practices with full contact it would of happened on Monday or a few minutes on Tuesday but maybe that happened once. so maybe this team went full contact in practice for a couple of hours all year.

We need to make more improvements and keep everyone on task to be as safe as possible. And i am not sure if everyone has it but trainer is at every varsity practice over summer and during school year. She keeps a stop watch and even when the temp is not in danger zone make sure water brakes happen at scheduled times and if temperature is a problem they are inside or suspended until a later time to practice.

The future of football willdefinetly look different then now but who knows what game looks like in 5 years.
Absolutely!

However, the only way to truly prevent CTE is to not put your head at risk at all.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

rxburgfan wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:24 pm We don’t always have to be told the risks of an activity could prove detrimental. I’m fairly confident that if I continually hit myself in my head with a hammer it’s probably not good long term. Be as safe and responsible as a person can be and accept the risks of decisions.
Tell that to the lady who sued McDonald's in 1994 for the hot coffee and won $640,000.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck ... estaurants

Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

Get rid of this thread. This guy is ridiculous

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Fletchlives wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:09 pm Get rid of this thread. This guy is ridiculous
Does the truth about the dangers of youth football bother you?

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Even more interesting...

Dr. Bennet Omalu: CTE obsession obscuring truth about brain health of football players http://es.pn/2vnU3ow
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

No you trying to promote a book you haven't even read does !

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Fletchlives wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:35 am No you trying to promote a book you haven't even read does !
That was when this thread started 7 days ago.

I read it on Amazon Kindle this week..

Some info from the book is on the ESPN link that I posted earlier this morning.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Here is Harry Carson's praise from the book:

"The name Bennet Omalu is one that many people may not be familiar with. But, if you are a current or former athlete, a wife or significant other of an athlete, or a parent of an athlete who competes or has competed in a contact sport that could produce concussions, his is a name you should know. His discovery of CTE gave name to a cause of a neurological condition that many former athletes suffered from later in life. For many former football players like me, Dr. Omalu is our hero because he was that one person astute and bold enough to dig deeper in his neuropathology research to discover the cause of neurological ailments that may have affected countless former athletes long after the cheering stopped."

Harry Carson, New York Giants (1976-1988), and a member of the Professional Football Hall of Fame, class of 2006

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Here is an interesting excerpt from the book, "Truth Doesn't Have a Side":

"As a society, we recognize [the fact that children are not fully developed] and do not allow children to smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, or engage in other high-risk activities. We do this to protect children from themselves until they have the maturity to weigh the risks and rewards and make an informed decision for themselves. That is why I believe no one under the age of eighteen should be allowed to play football. Period.

Should adults play? I do not think so, but that is their decision. However, before any adult steps onto a football field, they need to understand that nothing protects the human brain from the force of impact experienced in full-contact sports. God did not design us for such impact. He did so for other animals. The woodpecker has a built-in shock absorber to protect its brain into the side of a tree. Woodpeckers can play football safely. Humans cannot - not even with the latest state-of-the-art equipment. Helmets protect the skin and the skull and keep the skull from fracturing, but no helmet can ever provide complete cushioning for the brain.

Why does this matter? The brain, unlike most other organs that make up the human body, does not have the capacity to cure itself. Broken legs heal; neurons do not. When brain cells are damaged or die in both concussive and sub-concussive hits, they are gone. That is why I believe football can never be made safe, at least not in anything approaching the form of the game today."

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Another excerpt entertains the question about whether or not Dr. Omalu hates the game of football:

"The next question I am asked is, 'Why are you so against football? Why do you hate the game?' I plead innocence. I do not hate football. Before I ever watched a single play on the field, I observed the toll the game takes on the human body, especially the brain. Mike Webster suffered from a completely preventable brain malady called Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy, or CTE. I say preventable because if Mike Webster had never played football, he almost certainly would still be alive today, and the two of us would never have had reason to meet.

So what do I have against football? Why do I hate the game? I do not hate it, but I hate the toll it takes on those who play it. Does that mean I am against football? No, not if you mean I am against adults exercising their God-given right to choose to play football. If someone knows the risks and chooses to play, God bless them."

Return to “Football”