Truth Doesn't Have a Side

Phoenix31
JV Team

Re: Truth Doesn't Have a Side

Post by Phoenix31 »

Another section of the book:

"'Who are you?' is the underlying question, the accusation, that follows me wherever I go. Does it follow me because of the color of my skin or because of the nation of my birth? Perhaps. But whatever the reason, I welcome the question. Who am I indeed? I've asked the question myself. Why was I the one who first discovered CTE in the brain of an American football player? Why was I the one who pulled back the curtain on the NFL's dirty little secret and forced it to deal with questions it sought to hide for many years?"

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

...and finally from the book:

"I never sought this life. God placed me here. I believe all that brought me to this place came as a direct result of the hand of God leading and directing my life. Who am I that the One who created the cosmos would bother with one so small? The answer is much larger than football."

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

This is from the ESPN article that I mentioned previously:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2024 ... ll-players

"There has been so much fascination with CTE that we are going the wrong way," Dr. Bennet Omalu said. "CTE is just one disease in a spectrum of many diseases caused by brain trauma. If he doesn't have CTE, that doesn't mean he doesn't have brain damage. ... I've always said that every child who plays football has a 100 percent risk of exposure to brain damage. And I've always said that at a professional level, 100 percent would have brain damage of some kind to some degree. That's whether or not their brains are found to have CTE."

"There is no such thing as a safe blow to the head," he said. "And then when you have repeated blows to your head, it increases the risk of permanent brain damage. Once you start having hundreds or thousands of blows, there is a 100 percent risk of exposure to permanent brain damage. The brain does not have a reasonable capacity to regenerate. This is something we have always known."

"I don't attack the NFL," Omalu said. "I shouldn't. The NFL is a corporation. This is a free market. What do corporations do? They try to make money by selling a product or service. The NFL is not in the business of health care. It is not a research organization. If you think the NFL is not doing anything, well, what do you expect? They are in the business of making money. The issue is parents."

Omalu said parents must ask themselves a question: "Do I love football more than I love my child?"

He added: "I wouldn't let my children engage in an activity that has a very strong probability of undermining their intellectual development. Why would I do that to my child?"

Omalu compared the dilemma to a man who is told that his wife has cheated on him.

"He might deny it because he loves this woman," Omalu said. "He might think there is no way it is true. Eventually he accepts that it happened. I think that's what America is experiencing now. America is in love with football but is struggling with its truth. But just like the man in love, give him time."

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

This topic is kind of one sided and a rant in my eyes.Simple if you don’t want your kid playing don’t let him play but to have this turned into scripts from this guys book. I hope all parents makewise choices.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Prime Time wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:20 pm This topic is kind of one sided and a rant in my eyes.Simple if you don’t want your kid playing don’t let him play but to have this turned into scripts from this guys book. I hope all parents makewise choices.
Wow!

A poster calls me out for not having read the book when I began this thread 8 days ago. Having since read the book, I post parts of the book to support my position. Now another poster calls me out for turning this into scripts.

:roll:

Protecting the brain to play violent contact sports is similar to building a bomb shelter to protect yourself from a nuclear war? If you prepare well enough, then it will protect you in the short term. However, the fallout from the radiation will kill you in the long term.

Ya dig?

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Everyone has their own on this. Take what you might call the good with the bad. Help makes a man or women out of a person.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

noreply66 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:09 am Everyone has their own on this. Take what you might call the good with the bad. Help makes a man or women out of a person.
I learned this a different way...comparing opinions with a certain body part that everyone has...

:mrgreen:

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

My first thoughts were this guy is getting royalty fees for promoting the book. I dig! Never seen a topic go 5 pages with the same thing over and over. we get it.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Prime Time wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:13 am My first thoughts were this guy is getting royalty fees for promoting the book. I dig! Never seen a topic go 5 pages with the same thing over and over. we get it.
The point isn't about money.

It is about the debilitating aspects of football over time.

It is time that tackle football is discontinued until high school...maybe, the age of 18.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Phoenix31 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:20 am
Prime Time wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:13 am My first thoughts were this guy is getting royalty fees for promoting the book. I dig! Never seen a topic go 5 pages with the same thing over and over. we get it.

It is time that tackle football is discontinued until high school...maybe, the age of 18.
Well I was done with this topic since it's all finished up but this last part is where I think you're missing the point. We're on page 5 of a topic that is being just repeated over and over. You now have put out there what you'd like to see happen. HOWEVER, you are posting over and over to a site that is dedicated to the discussion of various topics it's not like this is a rules and regulations committee. Basically the talk over and over and not taking in others information and thoughts given to you now is making people turn a deaf ear to the matter. People don't want badgered. If you want to discontinue tackle football until whatever age, this site is the LAST place that will give you any leverage towards that. Not sure if you feel by posting over and over on it if you're making a difference like these doctors are trying to do but that's simply not the case. Best case scenario for you is to start a formal petition find out how many signatures you need to get your bill viewed by the powers to be. This simply isn't getting you anywhere and quite frankly it's time to close the book on this thread you can't offer anything new on the subject and no one is going to convince you on anything new. Want to make a difference petitioning something is about your only option however I wouldn't put the age of 18 on there because you probably won't get anywhere with it at least not from people who play football or are associated with football. Good Luck

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Like posted above.
You are in the wrong place for this topic to begin with.
You just keep posting the same thing post after post.
We get it. It's a great book (apparently).
We can all appreciate how strongly you feel about CTE.
5 pages and your posts equal about 95% of the posts.
It's pretty clear no one is as interested as you are about this subject.
This forum is built around High school football.
So having a topic that centers around doing away with it is pointless.
Take your fight somewhere else.
Their are other avenuese mentioned above that you could use to get much further in your crusade to do away with high school football.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

What O&B and Grey goose said.

AT THE RESERVATION
Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

greygoose wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:59 am
Phoenix31 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:20 am

Well I was done with this topic since it's all finished up but this last part is where I think you're missing the point. We're on page 5 of a topic that is being just repeated over and over. You now have put out there what you'd like to see happen. HOWEVER, you are posting over and over to a site that is dedicated to the discussion of various topics it's not like this is a rules and regulations committee. Basically the talk over and over and not taking in others information and thoughts given to you now is making people turn a deaf ear to the matter. People don't want badgered. If you want to discontinue tackle football until whatever age, this site is the LAST place that will give you any leverage towards that. Not sure if you feel by posting over and over on it if you're making a difference like these doctors are trying to do but that's simply not the case. Best case scenario for you is to start a formal petition find out how many signatures you need to get your bill viewed by the powers to be. This simply isn't getting you anywhere and quite frankly it's time to close the book on this thread you can't offer anything new on the subject and no one is going to convince you on anything new. Want to make a difference petitioning something is about your only option however I wouldn't put the age of 18 on there because you probably won't get anywhere with it at least not from people who play football or are associated with football. Good Luck
:idea: :idea: :idea:

Illinois children would be prohibited from playing football under the age of 12 if passed under the Duerson Act:

https://www.apnews.com/ef44c63b68784e259d15efd9c7cab2c3

CHICAGO (AP) — Organized tackle football would be banned for Illinois children younger than 12 years old under a bill unveiled Thursday.

The Dave Duerson Act to Prevent CTE is named for the Chicago Bears defensive back who was diagnosed with chronic traumatic encephalopathy after he killed himself at the age of 50. Duerson shot himself in the chest so his brain could be studied for signs of the disease that has been linked to concussions or repeated head trauma.

“When my father tragically took his own life, he donated his brain to science in hopes of being part of the solution,” said Tregg Duerson, who like his father played football at Notre Dame.

“Thanks to increased attention and research on brain trauma, we know that part of the solution is to guard young children’s developing brains from the risks of tackle football,” Tregg Duerson said in a statement, a copy of which was obtained by The Associated Press in advance of the announcement. “This bill honors my family’s hopes and my father’s legacy to protect future athletes and the future of football.”

State Rep. Carol Sente, a Democrat from Vernon Hills, announced the proposal at a news conference Thursday along with Chris Nowinski, the head of the Concussion Legacy Foundation. Also in attendance were former Bears players Mike Adamle and Otis Wilson — a teammate of Dave Duerson’s on the 1985 championship team — and Liz Nicholson, the wife of former Cleveland Brown Gerry Sullivan, who has sued the NFL over its handling of concussions.

“We all want kids to have fun playing football and to learn to play the game the right way early on,” Sente said in a statement. “But the overwhelming data and powerful stories of our supporters here today show the risks of playing tackle football before turning 12 just aren’t worth it.”

Wilson said he hasn’t had any CTE symptoms but he plans to donate his brain to research.

“I don’t need it where I’m going so might as well be able to help the process,” he said. “There are a lot of individuals that have this issue and the more research that’s being done, hopefully we can have something to combat it.”

CTE is a degenerative disease known to cause memory loss, violent moods and other cognitive difficulties in football players, members of the military and others who have endured repeated head trauma. It can only be diagnosed after death. Researchers believe the severity of the symptoms is increased for those who began playing football at a younger age.

After years of denials, the NFL has acknowledged a link between head blows and brain disease and agreed in 2015 to a $1 billion settlement with former players.

The Illinois bill is similar to a proposal in New York, and Nowinski said lawmakers in at least one other state are working to raise the age at which children begin playing tackle football. He said studies have shown that starting tackle football before the age of 12 can lead to great neurological impairment later in life.

“This isn’t about an act to ban tackle football,” Nowinski said. “This is about an act to prevent children from being hit in the head hundreds of times through sports each season.”

___

Golen reported from Boston.
Last edited by Phoenix31 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:13 pm Like posted above.
You are in the wrong place for this topic to begin with.
You just keep posting the same thing post after post.
We get it. It's a great book (apparently).
We can all appreciate how strongly you feel about CTE.
5 pages and your posts equal about 95% of the posts.
It's pretty clear no one is as interested as you are about this subject.
This forum is built around High school football.
So having a topic that centers around doing away with it is pointless.
Take your fight somewhere else.
Their are other avenuese mentioned above that you could use to get much further in your crusade to do away with high school football.
Why place your head in the sand, again?

The Duerson Act will affect high school football if passed and expanded to other states.

https://www.apnews.com/ef44c63b68784e259d15efd9c7cab2c3

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

1987chieftains wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:34 pm What O&B and Grey goose said.
Read the article for yourself instead of following others.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

The state of New York is attempting something similar as well:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/24/spor ... l-ban.html

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Yep, we got it.

You can Google a lot of different items from the internet and post relevant and non relevant information about CTE and kids and this proposed law and that new regulation.

Enough of being a Google Doctor and confusing it with an actual M.D.

Point made we get it and most of the sentiment on here (including mine from this thread and the other about making football safer) is that there is some consensus that tackle football age limits be moved up in the age bracket to Middle School. It sounds like that move is a common them and I haven't seen too much argument that anyone thinks peewee football, at least tackle, in the younger ages is really needed or wanted for that matter.

Not sure what the point continues to be? Assume you will link me to another Google search about the same thing.
Last edited by Abe Froman on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:01 pm Yep, we got it.

You can Google a lot of different items from the internet and post relevant and non relevant information about CTE and kids and this proposed law and that new regulation.

Enough of being a Google Doctor and confusing it with an actual M.D.

Point made we get it and most of the sentiment on here (including mine from this tread and the other about making football safer) is that there is some consensus that tackle football age limits be moved up in the age bracket to Middle School. It sounds like that move is a common them and I haven't seen too much argument that anyone thinks peewee football, at least tackle, in the younger ages is really needed or wanted for that matter.

Not sure what the point continues to be? Assume you will link me to another Google search about the same thing.
Not Googled.

I am on a feed directly from the Concussion Legacy Foundation.

Check it out...

https://concussionfoundation.org/

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Yes you are searching through millions and millions of documents and linking us to every thing you find.

Well done sir.

What have you offered on Page 5 that you didn't offer us on Page 1?

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:06 pm Yes you are searching through millions and millions of documents and linking us to every thing you find.

Well done sir.

What have you offered on Page 5 that you didn't offer us on Page 1?
If you do not want to read my updates about legislation in Illinois and New York or quotes from the book, then simply pass over the thread.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Football”