Truth Doesn't Have a Side

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: Truth Doesn't Have a Side

Post by greygoose »

Phoenix trying to figure out why you even want on this site. Kids ride in the front seat of cars when they shouldn't be, we take chances everyday when we load our kids up in the car and go anywhere. Is football dangerous, absolutely, it's a violent sport where the weak fall and the strong prevail. Sounds like you make it out like here we are as parents MAKING our child play football, I've seen girls playing football seen kids that were really small playing ball. I have a son that absolutely loves football and has loved it ever since he got into flag football in kindergarten. Around here they can play tackle in 2nd grade, I refused that age just didn't think it was time and I was driven crazy by him. I wanted to wait longer but he started in 3rd grade, as a parent I felt I would be putting him in harms way more by holding him out and letting the other kids get bigger, faster stronger and used to the hitting element. I was correct because you could see the difference even at that age from a child who had a year of football in compared to kids who hadn't played contact yet. If there was a rule country wide that set the age of tacking at let's say 14 than we could get somewhere possibly. Part of me though watches these pee wee games and I just don't see those hits coming to cause concussion until that 6th-8th grade level and above as kids are putting on the mass.

I've already stated my opinion on ways to make the game safer an that's through technology and coaching. NFL, NCAA, High school and even some pee wee leagues have already implemented rules on the amount of hitting and full contact each week in practice.
Last edited by greygoose on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I haven't watched the movie concussion and I won't read this book, I KNOW the dangers of football and I sure as heck don't need someone trying to tell me it's comparable to child abuse. For SHAME on anyone who would compare the 2, some of us have seen TRUE abuse and we've read TRUE abuse stories and to even try to compare letting a child play football to TRUE child abuse is absolutely offensive.

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Phoenix31 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:42 pm There are already lawsuits pending against the NFL and NCAA. It is just a matter of time for others to occur for child abuse against children.
Let me know when a local county DA files criminal child abuse charges against that first parent and I will hop back on here and say I was wrong, until then bird from ashes number thirty-one, I'm outta here.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

fortdawg wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:54 pm The numbers say different. Your child is much more likely to die in a swimming pool than on a football practice or game field.

My point is there are a lot of dangerous activities we allow our kids to do-----would we be happier if they sat in front of an Xbox all day?
When performed correctly, swimming is not a dangerous activity.

When performed correctly, football will always be a dangerous activity.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Abe Froman wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:51 am
Phoenix31 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:42 pm There are already lawsuits pending against the NFL and NCAA. It is just a matter of time for others to occur for child abuse against children.
Let me know when a local county DA files criminal child abuse charges against that first parent and I will hop back on here and say I was wrong, until then bird from ashes number thirty-one, I'm outta here.
I am saddened that you are so focused on the lawsuit portion of this issue; however, that is what it will take to outlaw tackle football in this country for children under a certain age.....probably somewhere arouund 12-14 years of age. BTW, no need to return to apologize. I will be so busy with CTE that I will have forgotten about this soon.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

greygoose wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:05 am Phoenix trying to figure out why you even want on this site. Kids ride in the front seat of cars when they shouldn't be, we take chances everyday when we load our kids up in the car and go anywhere. Is football dangerous, absolutely, it's a violent sport where the weak fall and the strong prevail. Sounds like you make it out like here we are as parents MAKING our child play football, I've seen girls playing football seen kids that were really small playing ball. I have a son that absolutely loves football and has loved it ever since he got into flag football in kindergarten. Around here they can play tackle in 2nd grade, I refused that age just didn't think it was time and I was driven crazy by him. I wanted to wait longer but he started in 3rd grade, as a parent I felt I would be putting him in harms way more by holding him out and letting the other kids get bigger, faster stronger and used to the hitting element. I was correct because you could see the difference even at that age from a child who had a year of football in compared to kids who hadn't played contact yet. If there was a rule country wide that set the age of tacking at let's say 14 than we could get somewhere possibly. Part of me though watches these pee wee games and I just don't see those hits coming to cause concussion until that 6th-8th grade level and above as kids are putting on the mass.

I've already stated my opinion on ways to make the game safer an that's through technology and coaching. NFL, NCAA, High school and even some pee wee leagues have already implemented rules on the amount of hitting and full contact each week in practice.
I have been posting on this site from its inception...even though my name has not....hence the name, "Phoenix". Therefore, what I post on here about tackle football comes from 50+ years of experience to include college football and high school coaching. As long as their are repetitve hits to the brain, we will have traumatic brain injury in players. No equipment alteration/addition or rule change can alter that fact.

Truth doesn't have a side.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

greygoose wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:06 am I haven't watched the movie concussion and I won't read this book, I KNOW the dangers of football and I sure as heck don't need someone trying to tell me it's comparable to child abuse. For SHAME on anyone who would compare the 2, some of us have seen TRUE abuse and we've read TRUE abuse stories and to even try to compare letting a child play football to TRUE child abuse is absolutely offensive.
When children who played tackle football from a very young age are getting a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury), then this is a form of child abuse by the parents.

You need to read more about CTE. Here is a website with links to many resources:

http://www.ctesociety.org/resources/

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Phoenix31 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:18 am
greygoose wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:06 am I haven't watched the movie concussion and I won't read this book, I KNOW the dangers of football and I sure as heck don't need someone trying to tell me it's comparable to child abuse. For SHAME on anyone who would compare the 2, some of us have seen TRUE abuse and we've read TRUE abuse stories and to even try to compare letting a child play football to TRUE child abuse is absolutely offensive.
When children who played tackle football from a very young age are getting a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury), then this is a form of child abuse by the parents.

You need to read more about CTE. Here is a website with links to many resources:

http://www.ctesociety.org/resources/
I don't need to read more on CTE for some reason when someone combats you with an issue you simply think they're not educated about it. What I said was don't compare the willingness of a child playing football to abuse of a child. Maybe you need to do a little research on child abuse before you compare one to the other. Once again don't compare the 2 you should be ashamed of yourself for even putting the 2 in the same category. Simply put you want to talk about CTE but you should keep the comparison to child abuse out of it. You call up foster care, police, psychologist and ask them if they feel that letting a child play football is comparative to child abuse, put a little time in on that end and if they agree with you I might change my stance but given what they've seen on the subject. You want to believe people are being irresponsible with the decision to allow their child to play football is probably a more favorable term.
Last edited by greygoose on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Phoenix31 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:11 am
greygoose wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:05 am Phoenix trying to figure out why you even want on this site. Kids ride in the front seat of cars when they shouldn't be, we take chances everyday when we load our kids up in the car and go anywhere. Is football dangerous, absolutely, it's a violent sport where the weak fall and the strong prevail. Sounds like you make it out like here we are as parents MAKING our child play football, I've seen girls playing football seen kids that were really small playing ball. I have a son that absolutely loves football and has loved it ever since he got into flag football in kindergarten. Around here they can play tackle in 2nd grade, I refused that age just didn't think it was time and I was driven crazy by him. I wanted to wait longer but he started in 3rd grade, as a parent I felt I would be putting him in harms way more by holding him out and letting the other kids get bigger, faster stronger and used to the hitting element. I was correct because you could see the difference even at that age from a child who had a year of football in compared to kids who hadn't played contact yet. If there was a rule country wide that set the age of tacking at let's say 14 than we could get somewhere possibly. Part of me though watches these pee wee games and I just don't see those hits coming to cause concussion until that 6th-8th grade level and above as kids are putting on the mass.

I have been posting on this site from its inception...even though my name has not....hence the name, "Phoenix". Therefore, what I post on here about tackle football comes from 50+ years of experience to include college football and high school coaching. As long as their are repetitve hits to the brain, we will have traumatic brain injury in players. No equipment alteration/addition or rule change can alter that fact.

Let's face it your knowledge is very limited because with your 50+ years of football knowledge you don't mention any type of degree in this field or any field study researches you have done. Can CTE be totally eliminated maybe not, the research towards the subject matter is so young that we haven't unlocked everything there is to know about the subject. Some people like yourself first come across a major problem and do what we always see people do and that is turn to the most drastic side of things, STOP, ELIMINATE the sport. Spending so much time just discovering the issue you fail to try to find a solution other than, STOP we can't do this anymore. Look where football started to where it's at in terms of technology. Some people are taking it from the stance of let's try to fix this problem or try and limit it if possible, football isn't going away so maybe if more people took the stance of trying to help make it better over saying elimination, we might actually see improvements. As far as your $10 book maybe it'll make a good fire starter or table leveler from the sounds of the "DR" who wrote it.

http://www.espn.com/blog/carolina-panth ... ain-injury

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Willingness of a child playing football vs. the abuse of a child.

A child's willingness to play football is tantamount to a fart in the wind when considering the future health of the child's brain. Back in the early to mid-70s, there was little fear, if any, of having a brain injury. We watched videos from NFL Films of quarterbacks, receivers, etc getting turned upside down and receiving treatment only to return to the game somewhat unscathed. Ken Anderson, former QB of the Bengals, was pile-driven into the hard astroturf and returned to play. Therefore, through the magic of television, the fanatics of football felt even more invincible to go out and play the game while the truth of the brain injuries were hidden from the public and the players.

Now that we, the public, have the knowledge that repetitive blows to the head causes brain trauma, it would be foolish, if not unethical, to send our children out there to play football.

Even Bo Jackson said that if he knew back then what he knows now about CTE, then he never would have played football.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... /96492338/

Bo Jackson

One of the greatest athletes of the 20th Century....

Bo knows CTE.

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Letting kids play football is not child abuse, end of story. Dangerous? Yes. Child abuse? No.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:23 pm Letting kids play football is not child abuse, end of story. Dangerous? Yes. Child abuse? No.
The story is just beginning.

Do you want your child, or any child, to have even the slightest chance of having CTE later on in life?

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Ohio's Department of Health definition of child abuse:

http://ship.oh.networkofcare.org/ph/lib ... wid=tm4865

"Child abuse means doing something that hurts a child "

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Phoenix31 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:30 pm
Chieftain2009 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:23 pm Letting kids play football is not child abuse, end of story. Dangerous? Yes. Child abuse? No.
The story is just beginning.

Do you want your child, or any child, to have even the slightest chance of having CTE later on in life?
There is a chance of getting it even if you don't play tackle football until high school. I played flag football until school football started in 7th grade. I will let my child decide if they want to play football, and chances are, if they do, I'll make them play flag football until school ball starts. If my kid wants to play football with their friends, I'll let them. If they want to play football, that's okay. If they don't want to play, that's okay too.

If you play flag instead of contact as a kid, and you have a good coach, you're more likely to learn proper techniques in blocking, etc. But, that does not help you in learning proper form in making a tackle.

Regardless, if you play football (or any other contact sport for that matter) there is always a chance for brain injury even if you do things the right way.

But, back to the point of your crazy comments. Football is not child abuse. Comparing playing football to actual, real child abuse, to me, saying that out loud, is crazy.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Here is an interview with former NFL player, Kyle Turley, along with Dr. Omalu.

Interesting that Kyle Turley did not play football until he was a senior in high school!!!!!!!!!

https://www.thedoctorstv.com/articles/4 ... hild-abuse

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Phoenix31 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:40 pm Ohio's Department of Health definition of child abuse:

Since you have started the conversation about this, you should be willing to take other people's opinions and views of the subject. Obviously, you are not willing to do that. Since we are quoting these things, here's the definition of assault:

"a threat or attempt to inflict offensive physical contact or bodily harm on a person that puts the person in immediate danger of or in apprehension of such harm or contact"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/assault

So, you are also saying that playing football in after the age of 18, you are saying that the coach, school or governing body is committing assault against these adults. Right? By your logic, that's what it is.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:44 pmBut, back to the point of your crazy comments. Football is not child abuse. Comparing playing football to actual, real child abuse, to me, saying that out loud, is crazy.
https://www.sacfirm.com/blog/law-medici ... -football/

"The truth will always prevail," Dr. Omalu has said, "but it may take a long time to come."

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:49 pm
Phoenix31 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:40 pm Ohio's Department of Health definition of child abuse:

Since you have started the conversation about this, you should be willing to take other people's opinions and views of the subject. Obviously, you are not willing to do that. Since we are quoting these things, here's the definition of assault:

"a threat or attempt to inflict offensive physical contact or bodily harm on a person that puts the person in immediate danger of or in apprehension of such harm or contact"

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/assault

So, you are also saying that playing football in after the age of 18, you are saying that the coach, school or governing body is committing assault against these adults. Right? By your logic, that's what it is.
It appears to me that you have found a correct-sized shoe... but only before the age of 18. After that, it is entirely on the individual as to what damage is done to their bodies.

:mrgreen:

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

I am much more conservative than 99% of the people in this world; however, when it comes to helping and protecting children, there is no argument about liberals vs conservatives because the welfare of children always comes first.

Return to “Football”