Truth Doesn't Have a Side

Phoenix31
JV Team

Re: Truth Doesn't Have a Side

Post by Phoenix31 »

madpolecat wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:20 amOne problem, though (with the bold-faced text)... most football players are under the age of 18, and therefore have limited legal authority to make such a decision.

And I would say that the existence of drinking-age laws, tobacco laws, and age of sexual consent laws establish a strong precedent where risky activities involving youth are involved.
Amen, madpolecat!!!

:mrgreen:

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

NYBuckeye96 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:14 pm I don't think the original poster is simply out to "attack football". Anyone paying attention to the research going on regarding brain damage caused by trauma to the head has to be concerned. Most of what makes nationwide news are the autopsies of former NFL players showing brain damage. However, autopsies on guys who never have played more than high school football are also showing this damage. The problem with our technology right now is that the damage can't be found for sure except on autopsies of those who have already died. There are thousands of people living right now with this brain damage and it can be causing other medical problems for them, but they don't even know it.

Technology will eventually lead to even safer helmets in the future, and there could be possible rule changes to make it less likely someone receives a blunt blow to the head in games. However, there will always be some sort of risk involved. The number of kids nationwide playing football is starting to decline, so I think some parents are already steering their kids to other non-contact sports.

As technology improves to find the brain damage in those who are currently living, I think that will have a real negative impact on participation numbers nationwide in the future.

As much as I love football, I honestly don't know if I would let my kids play football. Honestly, I think I would try to steer them toward things like cross country and track & field.
Well said, NYBuckeye96!!!

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

NFL Legends help launch CLF's Flag Football Under 14 campaign to educate parents

The Concussion Legacy Foundation (CLF) announced on Thursday the launch of Flag Football Under 14, a program to educate parents on the benefits of waiting to enroll their child in tackle football until age 14. The announcement was made at a press conference in New York, NY by CLF co-founders Chris Nowinski, Ph.D. and Robert Cantu, M.D., and supporters including Pro Football Hall of Famers Nick Buoniconti and Harry Carson, and Oakland Raiders legend Phil Villapiano.

https://concussionfoundation.org/programs/flag-football

https://concussionfoundation.org/sites/ ... .18.18.pdf

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

In the above photo, Dr. Chris Nowinski (far left) has helped me obtain additional information concerning CTE resources as well.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Interesting discussion

Definitely a gray area. I wonder if these activities would be considered "abuse"

- poor diet consisting of pizza , soda, fast food,sugar ect
- forced religion . Should parents force religion on kids ? Shouldn't they be withheld from any all religious studies until they have the right to decide for themselves ?
-inactive lifestyle . Is it not abuse that kids are allowed to be lazy fat and inactive ?

I'm sure there are plenty of other issues but I would guess that with the risk of health issues that an obese inactive child would more grounds for abuse than even football.

I know youth football is the discussion at hand but where does it end ?

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Poo Bear wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:09 pm Interesting discussion

Definitely a gray area. I wonder if these activities would be considered "abuse"

- forced religion . Should parents force religion on kids ? Shouldn't they be withheld from any all religious studies until they have the right to decide for themselves ?
-inactive lifestyle . Is it not abuse that kids are allowed to be lazy fat and inactive ?

I'm sure there are plenty of other issues but I would guess that with the risk of health issues that an obese inactive child would more grounds for abuse than even football.

"Train up a child in the way he should go;
Even when he is old he will not depart from it."

Parents are charged with training their children - no matter what happens afterward.

In general, well-trained kids become principled adults!

I cannot take credit for this.....it comes from Proverbs Chapter 22.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Phoenix31 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:54 pm
Poo Bear wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:09 pm Interesting discussion

"Train up a child in the way he should go;
Even when he is old he will not depart from it."

Parents are charged with training their children - no matter what happens afterward.

In general, well-trained kids become principled adults!

I cannot take credit for this.....it comes from Proverbs Chapter 22.
Good job in quoting scripture to avoid my questions 👊🏻

Chieftain2009
SEOPS HOF

Post by Chieftain2009 »

Let me say this, I am all for making the game safer. It's clear that there are side effects of continuous blows to the head. I am actually a huge fan of the flag football until you turn 14 idea.

Here is my question, since you are pushing this book and this idea so hard, what exactly are you doing about it?

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Poo Bear wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:05 pmGood job in quoting scripture to avoid my questions 👊🏻
I will pray that you are able to read beyond the quotation marks next time so that you may obtain knowledge.

:mrgreen:

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Ok then as a parent I see nothing wrong with youth football . Properly equipped and properly taught it's a great thing for youth everywhere . Because he is my son unto me , that's what I believe and it is up to each set of parents to make that decision for themselves . This convo can know officially end .

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Chieftain2009 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:49 pm Let me say this, I am all for making the game safer. It's clear that there are side effects of continuous blows to the head. I am actually a huge fan of the flag football until you turn 14 idea.

Here is my question, since you are pushing this book and this idea so hard, what exactly are you doing about it?
As I have said before, I have been in contact with many folks at the Concussion Legacy Foundation concerning the devastating correlation between playing football for 10+ years and having some sort of a TBI (traumatic brain injury)....whether it is CTE, dementia, ALS, etc...

I would love to see some sort of clearing mechanism in the brain to rid it of the destructive tau protein clumps that give life to CTE. Here is an example.

https://melmagazine.com/this-doctor-thi ... e736caa05d

Will it work? Who knows? But, we will never know until we.....all of us....take our collective heads out of the sand and demand that research be funded to find a workable treatment for those who currently suffer everyday with this delibitating disease.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Poo Bear wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:59 pm Ok then as a parent I see nothing wrong with youth football . Properly equipped and properly taught it's a great thing for youth everywhere . Because he is my son unto me , that's what I believe and it is up to each set of parents to make that decision for themselves . This convo can know officially end .
Do you know anybody with any type of TBI (traumatic brain injury) through playing any sport?

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Nope

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Poo Bear wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:05 pmNope
Please take a look at this webpage.

The stats will astound you...

https://concussionfoundation.org

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

....particularly this area....

https://concussionfoundation.org/CTE-resources

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

https://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/5 ... ger-of-con

"The fundamental issue is not concussions but repeated blows to the head - with or without concussions, with or without helmets. We must mitigate the exposure of our children's brains to all types of blows to the head."

Dr. Bennet Omalu from Truth Doesn't Have A Side

Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

Phoenix31 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:38 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:23 amNice try but that is a civil lawsuit brought against an organization by the mothers.

Entirely different than a criminal matter brought by a DA against the child's parent or the school for child abuse. As I said no DA is going to bring such a prosecution for child abuse for athletic participation in a High School sport.
Just showing what was out there.

This is beyond the level of a DA.

I could see a state's Attorney General taking care of this in the future similar to the smoking lawsuits.
Nope, no state AG is going to take up any class action lawsuits for child abuse against HS players parents.

Like I said on the first page: No peewee football tackle/contact; better technology; enforcement of the rules that exist; teaching of new tackling techniques; limited contact in HS practices are some of the things you can do, and should do. But no DA or state AG is gonna file criminal charges against a parent or guardian and HS sports. Get over that silliness.

As far as do I know of any HS sports players that have TBI, no I do not. However I know of one that has it from a bicycle accident, a relative's son that has it from falling out of tree stand in KY and you can watch the news and see multiple teen car accidents that cause it everyday.

Hey is the DA or AG gonna file charges for abusive parents that allow their kid to ride a bike to the library, or how about the Dad that let his kid in a treestand, or hey, we not allowing 16-year olds behind the wheel now also? Is driving child abuse? Guarantees there are more TBI's from car accidents every year than HS football.

Like I said earlier participation will continue to decline unless corrective measures are undertaken given the amount of information that is currently available. But stop conflating parents that allow their son to play football with the child abuse.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:19 pm Nope, no state AG is going to take up any class action lawsuits for child abuse against HS players parents.

Like I said on the first page: No peewee football tackle/contact; better technology; enforcement of the rules that exist; teaching of new tackling techniques; limited contact in HS practices are some of the things you can do, and should do. But no DA or state AG is gonna file criminal charges against a parent or guardian and HS sports. Get over that silliness.

As far as do I know of any HS sports players that have TBI, no I do not. However I know of one that has it from a bicycle accident, a relative's son that has it from falling out of tree stand in KY and you can watch the news and see multiple teen car accidents that cause it everyday.

Hey is the DA or AG gonna file charges for abusive parents that allow their kid to ride a bike to the library, or how about the Dad that let his kid in a treestand, or hey, we not allowing 16-year olds behind the wheel now also? Is driving child abuse? Guarantees there are more TBI's from car accidents every year than HS football.

Like I said earlier participation will continue to decline unless corrective measures are undertaken given the amount of information that is currently available. But stop conflating parents that allow their son to play football with the child abuse.
Confuse is a much more appropriate word than conflate; however, if you want to appear more intelligent to win some type of an argument......then congratulations. You win.

Lawsuits will happen. They happened with smoking. They will happen with football. Who knows where the "gold standard of lawsuits" against football will occur?

The truth is that repetitive blows happen to every football player no matter how safe we make the game through equipment, technology, and/or improved tackling techniques.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Phoenix31 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:31 pm
Abe Froman wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:19 pm Nope, no state AG is going to take up any class action lawsuits for child abuse against HS players parents.

Confuse is a much more appropriate word than conflate; however, if you want to appear more intelligent to win some type of an argument......then congratulations. You win.

Lawsuits will happen. They happened with smoking. They will happen with football. Who knows where the "gold standard of lawsuits" against football will occur?

The truth is that repetitive blows happen to every football player no matter how safe we make the game through equipment, technology, and/or improved tackling techniques.
Lawsuits happened with smoking due to the tobacco companies lying and their shady practices.

Phoenix31
JV Team

Post by Phoenix31 »

Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:44 pm Lawsuits happened with smoking due to the tobacco companies lying and their shady practices.
......and the NFL and NCAA are such angels...

:roll:

Return to “Football”