Wheelersburg 28 Ironton 6

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: 2018 Ironton @ Wheelersburg Football

Post by trojandave »

Comparing Ironton's success with Wheelersburg's in the state championship game is somewhat skewed in that the Fighting Tigers winning pct. of 25% is for 8 games, while the Pirates perfect mark of 100% is for only 2 games. Any school that has been to as many state championship games as Ironton will eventually lose in the title game. Moeller, St.Xavier, St.Ignatius, Akron SVSM, Steubenville, Clinton Massie, and Coldwater, just to name a few, have all been to the state championship game more than Wheelersburg and have won multiple titles, but have also lost in the title game.

What's impressive about Ironton's championship game history is that they have made 8 appearances, and regardless of how they have fared in the title game, to go that far that many times is very difficult. Wheelersburg has a great football program, but 2 appearances in the title game pales in comparison to 8 appearances. Although IHS has a success rate of 25%, they have 4 times as many appearances as Wheelersburg. Ironton also has I believe 14 more playoff wins than the Pirates. Over the past half decade the Burg has dominated the Fighting Tigers, but as far as comparing playoff histories, Ironton has a decided edge.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

trojandave wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:14 pm Comparing Ironton's success with Wheelersburg's in the state championship game is somewhat skewed in that the Fighting Tigers winning pct. of 25% is for 8 games, while the Pirates perfect mark of 100% is for only 2 games. Any school that has been to as many state championship games as Ironton will eventually lose in the title game. Moeller, St.Xavier, St.Ignatius, Akron SVSM, Steubenville, Clinton Massie, and Coldwater, just to name a few, have all been to the state championship game more than Wheelersburg and have won multiple titles, but have also lost in the title game.

What's impressive about Ironton's championship game history is that they have made 8 appearances, and regardless of how they have fared in the title game, to go that far that many times is very difficult. Wheelersburg has a great football program, but 2 appearances in the title game pales in comparison to 8 appearances. Although IHS has a success rate of 25%, they have 4 times as many appearances as Wheelersburg. Ironton also has I believe 14 more playoff wins than the Pirates. Over the past half decade the Burg has dominated the Fighting Tigers, but as far as comparing playoff histories, Ironton has a decided edge.
It’s hard to compare them at all. Ironton probably should’ve won two more titles but a couple of mistakes by the ref and coach lutz kept them from it. Burg could have easily lost both of their championship games as well. Both have historically been really good programs. Ironton’s dynamic has changed and I’m not sure they can sustain another long run of domination like they did in the past but they still will field some decent teams in the future.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

trojandave wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:14 pm Comparing Ironton's success with Wheelersburg's in the state championship game is somewhat skewed in that the Fighting Tigers winning pct. of 25% is for 8 games, while the Pirates perfect mark of 100% is for only 2 games. Any school that has been to as many state championship games as Ironton will eventually lose in the title game. Moeller, St.Xavier, St.Ignatius, Akron SVSM, Steubenville, Clinton Massie, and Coldwater, just to name a few, have all been to the state championship game more than Wheelersburg and have won multiple titles, but have also lost in the title game.

I agree dave. some folks don't realize what it takes to even get to one. much less win one. the fact they have been to 8 is impressive no matter what. the Sandusky perkins game , we got the 1st down. which would have won the game. but the refs saw it different. but either way 8 state title games puts your program in some elite company as you mentioned. but no one can deny the fact the pirates have fared extremely well when there. then you get in games with these critters like mentor lake catholic, Columbus desales, asvsm, and the like. that's a horse of a different color. we have been blessed to have many playoff appearances by many local teams around here. but the big 3 here still remains Portsmouth, ironton n burg. and that won't change until it does.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I remember a field goal that wauseon missed was called no good, and then was changed. that was another won. it caused Wauseon to win that one. but I ain't crying. it was a blast getting to go to all of them.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

My prediction here is by middle of third the 2 and 3 teams will be in for Wheelersburg. Let’s say 58-13.

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:49 pm

I agree dave. some folks don't realize what it takes to even get to one. much less win one. the fact they have been to 8 is impressive no matter what. the Sandusky perkins game , we got the 1st down. which would have won the game. but the refs saw it different. but either way 8 state title games puts your program in some elite company as you mentioned. but no one can deny the fact the pirates have fared extremely well when there. then you get in games with these critters like mentor lake catholic, Columbus desales, asvsm, and the like. that's a horse of a different color. we have been blessed to have many playoff appearances by many local teams around here. but the big 3 here still remains Portsmouth, ironton n burg. and that won't change until it does.
Portsmouth?! How many state titles do they have? Heck they've never made a state final as long as I can remember. At least West got to the state finals, even though they got demolished by Kenton. Let's be serious bait, it's only a big 2 around here, Ironton and Burg.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I'm talking about Portsmouth's amount of playoff experience. not state title games. that's what I was saying. geeze o pete, dogpile on bait this week. I must be runnin some kind of special, lol. obviously there are only 2 teams with state titles in this part of the state of ohio, ironton and burg. so Kentuckians n west by golly Virginians don't climb on too. and they are fortunate to have multiple titles as well. I still am proud of west they got there. which in it's own right is a huge accomplishment. I remember an ironton team that got demolished by a mentor lake catholic team, but I'm still dang skippy proud they got there. that was a long, cold night and ride back indeed.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Otto wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:04 pm

Portsmouth?! How many state titles do they have? Heck they've never made a state final as long as I can remember. At least West got to the state finals, even though they got demolished by Kenton. Let's be serious bait, it's only a big 2 around here, Ironton and Burg.
Glad to know that my Ironmen would smash 2 of the “BIG 3”

12gauge
Freshman Team

Post by 12gauge »

Lol actually they should due to size only.
I think Jackson could hang 75 on Symmes Valley...Dominate! Lol

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

As a Portsmouth alumnus, even I have to admit that the Trojans don't belong in the same football conversation as Ironton and Wheelersburg. We have been sporadically successful at times, but at other times plain awful. The Fighting Tigers and Pirates have much greater playoff resumes than does Portsmouth, although the Trojans have made the Final 4 twice, in 1984 (Class AA) and 2000 (Division II). For the better part of 45 years, IHS and WHS have been the bellweathers of SE Ohio football, not only for local success, but for playoff prowess as well.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

12gauge wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:18 pm Lol actually they should due to size only.
I’m just thankful Jackson only plays 1 of the big 3. Couldn’t imagine playing Portsmouth and Ironton also . Whew .

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

trojandave wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:12 pm As a Portsmouth alumnus, even I have to admit that the Trojans don't belong in the same football conversation as Ironton and Wheelersburg. We have been sporadically successful at times, but at other times plain awful. The Fighting Tigers and Pirates have much greater playoff resumes than does Portsmouth, although the Trojans have made the Final 4 twice, in 1984 (Class AA) and 2000 (Division II). For the better part of 45 years, IHS and WHS have been the bellweathers of SE Ohio football, not only for local success, but for playoff prowess as well.
I never count out the Trojans in any sport, especially when it comes to playing the Tigers. Always respect a rival.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Poo Bear wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:53 am
Otto wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:04 pm

Glad to know that my Ironmen would smash 2 of the “BIG 3”
That’s why I like you poo bear.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Poo Bear wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:50 pm
12gauge wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:18 pm Lol actually they should due to size only.
I’m just thankful Jackson only plays 1 of the big 3. Couldn’t imagine playing Portsmouth and Ironton also . Whew .
WE WERE TALKING ABOUT PLAYOFF EXPERIENCE POO, FOLLER THE BOUNCING RED BALL.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:58 am
If we’re talking playoff appearances I believe that valley, Jackson and coal grove might be ahead of Portsmouth.

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

Back on topic,

By no means am I or any Ironton Tiger going to guarantee a win but I think this will be a good game. I think some of the scores being posted on here are a little crazy. There’s no doubt Ironton will be better than last year and I think burg takes a step back upfront on both sides so I expect a better game and depending on how much we improve will determine if it’s a great game.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:58 am
Oh ok , by “big 3” I thought you were talking about best 3 local programs . Gotcha

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

TOUGH wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:54 pm Back on topic,

By no means am I or any Ironton Tiger going to guarantee a win but I think this will be a good game. I think some of the scores being posted on here are a little crazy. There’s no doubt Ironton will be better than last year and I think burg takes a step back upfront on both sides so I expect a better game and depending on how much we improve will determine if it’s a great game.
The burg did not have a great dominating oline last year. They were an ok to solid oline. The oline will be as good if not better this year with a much more physical style running game. The burgs offense will not take a step back this year. The Dline was a great dominating group and I don’t think they will be as good. That’s not to say that they won’t field a very good D. The coaches will make sure the burg has a very good D on the field.

TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

fbnut wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:51 pm [quote=TOUGH post_id=<a href="tel:1672330">1672330</a> time=<a href="tel:1531673642">1531673642</a> user_id=13571]
Back on topic,

The burg did not have a great dominating oline last year. They were an ok to solid oline. The oline will be as good if not better this year with a much more physical style running game. The burgs offense will not take a step back this year. The Dline was a great dominating group and I don’t think they will be as good. That’s not to say that they won’t field a very good D. The coaches will make sure the burg has a very good D on the field.
[/quote]

They lost quite a bit. If I remember correctly I saw where they lost 4 starters on O line. Very rare do you lose that many STARTERS and be better the following year. They also lost their Fullback and Linebacker who was the best player on the team and whole D line and quite a few DBs. I agree they always reload and are very good but it’s hard to replace a State champion and not think there’s going to be a drop off.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

I agree on the Dline because they were a very special group. My point on the oline is that they were not a great dominating group. They did there job. They were solid. They have a chance to be better on the oline even with returning only 1 starter. The burg replaces 3-4 starters on the oline every year. I’m not saying as a team they will or will not be better than in 17. Some groups will be better, some will be about the same and some will not be as good.

Return to “Football”