Wheelersburg 28 Ironton 6

Game day
All State

Re: 2018 Ironton @ Wheelersburg Football

Post by Game day »

14U wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:35 pm
12gauge wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:16 pm
Kicker. wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:44 am seeing people slandering burgs stadium, I think it's great, a nice football atmosphere, great scenery I like the locker rooms and the crows nest, imo one of my favorite stadiums around
I'm not slandering their stadium. In my opinion it's a bottle neck getting out of,as for the seating on the visitors side you have very little bleacher searing,yes I know you have the "grassy knolls" which is usually covered with people from the Burg,thus not enough seating. Everything else may be peachy. I'll listen on the headphones and take in another game,no biggie
Seating and parking at Ironton is the worse!! No visitors room at all and parking none streets only!! Unless u pay 5 bucks. Then u talk about bottle neck? Ironton has one way in and I’ve seen cars lined up the highway to get in to the game then leaving u should just wait 15-20 minutes to leave because u will at a stand still trying to get to 52. Unless u know Ironton one way streets to go down to the other exit, still 15-20 minutes. So before u put another teams place down, just look at ur own place!! These high schools are not colleges and don’t have acres of land to put parking unless ur A big school in the subburbs. Jackson is the only place I know that has what ya want but u still walk up hill.
Been to many Ironton games never paid 5 dollars to park anywhere. Maybe 2 dollars would be more like it and 2 minute walk to the stadium.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:40 am
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:35 pm
14U wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:14 pm If the Ironton faithful were honest about football they knew soon after lutz left Ironton football did too!! I hate that they didn’t keep it going like the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. When you talked football everybody had Ironton in their sentence but now since lutz is gone the town is living in the years he coached. 90% of team were beat before Monday they played Ironton but now people are begging to get them on their schedule. I hope they make a comeback but I just don’t see it happening. Ironton had there 30 year run with lutz and it was fun and made southern Ohio look good but Wheelersburg has been that good too back in the late 70’s-present and no matter who coached the pirates they have been dominant!! I wish someone had the coaches from both school from lutz and Miller to now records, somebody? I think you would see burg never fell after coaching changes and Ironton did.
Gospel truth.
listen I am not trying to start anything here. but comparing burg n ironton in the previous 40 years with coach lutz is apples and oranges. ironton was winning regions seemingly every other year. made 8 state championship games. I know burg is 2 for 2. and that in it's own right is amazing. but the gap between state game for burg from 1989 to 2017 shows how hard it is to even get there, much less win. ironton was there 8 times from 72-99, and have not been back since. so that's a tall task just getting there. amazingly burg has won both times they were there. but while burg was in the soc , ironton was in the seoal and okac and independent. the seoal was a beast with teams like Athens, logan, Jackson, gahs, Portsmouth, Zanesville, Marietta , and the like. the okac featured teams like Russell, Ashland, Portsmouth, boyd county, greenup county, ironton, and the like. tough but not as tough as the seoal. and their numerous years of independent play was a plethora of huge teams every year. the desales, wattersons, Hartley's, belfry's, burgs, cabell midland, capital, huntington high, and teams from cincy and the like. and I'm talking 6/7 teams like that a year. not to mention teams like that in the playoffs. I know burg is now scheduling similar. and it is paying big dividends. as witnessed by last years 15-0 run and a state championship. but ironton scheduled like that every year for 40 years. that was prior to the move to the ovc. which is basically a mirror image of the soc. not a knock on either, just a fact. and now the ovc has added Portsmouth, ironton, and gahs. so it's a tough league in it's own right for schools these size as is the soc. no private schools, no merged teams. but it is impossible to compare the 2 programs heads up and even playoff experience wise. the pirates were not nearly as prolific as the tigers during that 30 year run. but they certainly are now. and are beating the fighting tigers like a bass drum. but look a lil deeper before you belittle ironton or burg for that matter before you cast blame. and throw in a 64 game win streak on top of that. and all the players that went to D1 schools. it's hard to compare the 2, as fun as it seems to do so. ironton and burg have both definitely did a role reversal now. and I'm hoping some fresh leadership can turn things back around.
But here’s the thing you’ve missed ole bait. How many losing seasons has either team had over that same stretch? Not many. Even recently with Ironton. The fact still remains that these TWO programs have been premier programs in Southern Ohio. You can say you guys were better than us then. That’s fine. But quit getting pissie when we let you know we are better than you guys now.

The SOCII is much stronger than the OVC. No debate. Stop trying to make yourself feel better about it. We all know Burgs conference is much better.

But hey. You guys should make the playoffs this year. The region will be much easier without the SOCII to compete with.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

14U wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:14 pm If the Ironton faithful were honest about football they knew soon after lutz left Ironton football did too!! I hate that they didn’t keep it going like the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s. When you talked football everybody had Ironton in their sentence but now since lutz is gone the town is living in the years he coached. 90% of team were beat before Monday they played Ironton but now people are begging to get them on their schedule. I hope they make a comeback but I just don’t see it happening. Ironton had there 30 year run with lutz and it was fun and made southern Ohio look good but Wheelersburg has been that good too back in the late 70’s-present and no matter who coached the pirates they have been dominant!! I wish someone had the coaches from both school from lutz and Miller to now records, somebody? I think you would see burg never fell after coaching changes and Ironton did.
Gospel truth.
listen I am not trying to start anything here. but comparing burg n ironton in the previous 40 years with coach lutz is apples and oranges. ironton was winning regions seemingly every other year. made 8 state championship games. I know burg is 2 for 2. and that in it's own right is amazing. but the gap between state game for burg from 1989 to 2017 shows how hard it is to even get there, much less win. ironton was there 8 times from 72-99, and have not been back since. so that's a tall task just getting there. amazingly burg has won both times they were there. but while burg was in the soc , ironton was in the seoal and okac and independent. the seoal was a beast with teams like Athens, logan, Jackson, gahs, Portsmouth, Zanesville, Marietta , and the like. the okac featured teams like Russell, Ashland, Portsmouth, boyd county, greenup county, ironton, and the like. tough but not as tough as the seoal. and their numerous years of independent play was a plethora of huge teams every year. the desales, wattersons, Hartley's, belfry's, burgs, cabell midland, capital, huntington high, and teams from cincy and the like. and I'm talking 6/7 teams like that a year. not to mention teams like that in the playoffs. I know burg is now scheduling similar. and it is paying big dividends. as witnessed by last years 15-0 run and a state championship. but ironton scheduled like that every year for 40 years. that was prior to the move to the ovc. which is basically a mirror image of the soc. not a knock on either, just a fact. and now the ovc has added Portsmouth, ironton, and gahs. so it's a tough league in it's own right for schools these size as is the soc. no private schools, no merged teams. but it is impossible to compare the 2 programs heads up and even playoff experience wise. the pirates were not nearly as prolific as the tigers during that 30 year run. but they certainly are now. and are beating the fighting tigers like a bass drum. but look a lil deeper before you belittle ironton or burg for that matter before you cast blame. and throw in a 64 game win streak on top of that. and all the players that went to D1 schools. it's hard to compare the 2, as fun as it seems to do so. ironton and burg have both definitely did a role reversal now. and I'm hoping some fresh leadership can turn things back around.
You’re exactly right not to compare them of old but today you can. Ironton used to have several elementary schools. They were a bigger town with a higher student count but now their student count is even with Wheelersburg and they have not been able to duplicate the success Burg has had as a Smaller division. Burg began the series in the 90s as game they saw as a schedule up. Currently it’s a schedule filler meaning, it’s become a winnable game each year. Bait you continue to think burg has just started winning. They’ve been winning for a long Time now, You just didn’t have to notice.

TheFlyingDutchman
JV Team

Post by TheFlyingDutchman »

Can someone from the Burg know why on your website in the record against teams all time there is no mention of playing Ironton St. Joe ?
The two met in either 70 or 71 with Burg winning. Hate for you guys not to have credit for that win, lol.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:21 pm

Gospel truth.
But here’s the thing you’ve missed ole bait. How many losing seasons has either team had over that same stretch? Not many. Even recently with Ironton. The fact still remains that these TWO programs have been premier programs in Southern Ohio. You can say you guys were better than us then. That’s fine. But quit getting pissie when we let you know we are better than you guys now.

The SOCII is much stronger than the OVC. No debate. Stop trying to make yourself feel better about it. We all know Burgs conference is much better.

But hey. You guys should make the playoffs this year. The region will be much easier without the SOCII to compete with.
I ain't tryin to say anyone was better. and the fact ironton's schedule was a lot harder than burg's back in the day. ain't nobody that isn't a burg fan that has given them more props than me. who cares about losing seasons. that's not what was being talked about. I ain't buying the difference in domination between the 2 conferences. the 2 leagues are way down on the strength meter as far as ohio football leagues go. but that's to be expected with the small schools and no major cities in either league. and I for one hate that burg n ironton are in different regions. we'll just have to see what happens. as far as pissy. not likely hoss. that ain't me. no doubt the 2 have been southern Ohio's 2 premiere teams. hopefully ironton rebounds this year. but beating burg will be a tall drink of water. but the whole season does not depend on that game. tiger fans want to see more effort and discipline from everybody involved and steady improvement and sound fundamental football.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

wobycat wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:07 pm

Gospel truth.
You’re exactly right not to compare them of old but today you can. Ironton used to have several elementary schools. They were a bigger town with a higher student count but now their student count is even with Wheelersburg and they have not been able to duplicate the success Burg has had as a Smaller division. Burg began the series in the 90s as game they saw as a schedule up. Currently it’s a schedule filler meaning, it’s become a winnable game each year. Bait you continue to think burg has just started winning. They’ve been winning for a long Time now, You just didn’t have to notice.
I know how successful burg has been for 40 years woby. I was born at night, but it wasn't last night. i'll be 58 very soon and I love southern ohio high school football. burg is leaps n bounds ahead of ironton currently. I think that's a bit obvious. ============================================= but we'll have to see what this year holds.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

http://www.burgfootball.com/coaching-history.html

Here’s a link. No one after Miller had a losing record.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

ITSYABOY72 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:57 pm
fbnut wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:46 pm
ITSYABOY72 wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:25 pm Earlier on in one of these threads I read that Irontons roster will have around 58/60 boys which is significantly more than the last 5 - 6 years however now I am hearing it is closer to 38/40?
58/60 give or take 20 :lol:
That seems a lot closer to reality. Lol
The Fighting Tigers have 52 Players this year, that's from one of the Coaches at Midnight Madness last night.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

I counted last night and there appeared to be about that many out.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

that sounds awesome.
thanks for sharing.

Crab's Brother
SEO

Post by Crab's Brother »

Are we still debating SOC II vs the OVC? You can’t be serious? I’ve already gave you the head to head. The other measure (playoff success) is also very skewed to the SOC.

Every SOC II team has a playoff win since 2007. Only Coal Grove and Ironton have won a playoff game since 2006. Only Coal Grove has won a playoff game as a member of the OVC since 2002!!

OVC playoff wins since 2002 = 3
SOC schools with Regional Titles since 2002 = 3 (4 total titles).

Ironton has a few more playoff wins than Wheelersburg but those two schools somewhat cancel those out. But the rest of the league is way better. Valley has more playoff wins than the rest of the OVC teams (as conference members) combined.

Say what you will, but top to bottom the OVC is no where near the level of the SOC II.

Bobbbbbb
Freshman Team

Post by Bobbbbbb »

To TheFlyingDutchman, that question about Burg playing St. Joe back in 70-71...brings another question to mind....did St. Joe use those “hometown” ref crews in that game like Ironton did during their dynasty? I know “the crew” would use some St. Joe guys in Ironton games! :mrgreen:

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Crab's Brother wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:35 pm Are we still debating SOC II vs the OVC? You can’t be serious? I’ve already gave you the head to head. The other measure (playoff success) is also very skewed to the SOC.

Every SOC II team has a playoff win since 2007. Only Coal Grove and Ironton have won a playoff game since 2006. Only Coal Grove has won a playoff game as a member of the OVC since 2002!!

OVC playoff wins since 2002 = 3
SOC schools with Regional Titles since 2002 = 3 (4 total titles).

Ironton has a few more playoff wins than Wheelersburg but those two schools somewhat cancel those out. But the rest of the league is way better. Valley has more playoff wins than the rest of the OVC teams (as conference members) combined.

Say what you will, but top to bottom the OVC is no where near the level of the SOC II.
Like I said previously. There is no debate.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Checked out the Wheelersburg football website and I am very impressed!! Good to see that the rich history of Pirate football has been preserved. As the historian for www.trojanhoops.org, I know how difficult it is to gather information to cover a long period of time. Salute to Tom Kaskey for his work on the site.

I know that Ironton had a great football website, but I don't think it has been updated for quite a while. It's a shame that someone from Ironton can't take the time to keep it updated if it still exists. It can be a time consuming task to gather accurate records, but to me it's a labor of love for your school and the program. Ironton has a great football history and it shouldn't die on the vine.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

dave, there has been no new postings on irontonfootball.com since 2007 . john brown was the one that ran that site. I wish someone could take it over. it was the most detailed, awesome high school sports site I ever seen.

BurgGrad6
SE

Post by BurgGrad6 »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:01 am
fbnut wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:46 pm

58/60 give or take 20 :lol:
The Fighting Tigers have 52 Players this year, that's from one of the Coaches at Midnight Madness last night.
Wheelersburg 7th and 8th grade has 52 players this year....

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

BurgGrad6 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:02 am

Congratulations that’s awesome

GO PIRATES.....

14U
S

Post by 14U »

Bobbbbbb wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:07 pm To TheFlyingDutchman, that question about Burg playing St. Joe back in 70-71...brings another question to mind....did St. Joe use those “hometown” ref crews in that game like Ironton did during their dynasty? I know “the crew” would use some St. Joe guys in Ironton games! :mrgreen:
I know that Ironton ref crew was from 77-93, but can’t remember if they were back in the 70-71 season. Many TD’s called back during that time!! and poor Carlos Snow couldn’t score at Ironton without yellow laying on the ground, lol. Or that Washington DC team that came in town to get man handled by yellow, lol

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

BurgGrad6 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:02 am

that's crazy man.

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

14U wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:53 am
Bobbbbbb wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:07 pm To TheFlyingDutchman, that question about Burg playing St. Joe back in 70-71...brings another question to mind....did St. Joe use those “hometown” ref crews in that game like Ironton did during their dynasty? I know “the crew” would use some St. Joe guys in Ironton games! :mrgreen:
I know that Ironton ref crew was from 77-93, but can’t remember if they were back in the 70-71 season. Many TD’s called back during that time!! and poor Carlos Snow couldn’t score at Ironton without yellow laying on the ground, lol. Or that Washington DC team that came in town to get man handled by yellow, lol
One of those posted on here as an ironton fan for along time. Haven’t seen him post under that poster for quite some time.

Return to “Football”