Wheelersburg 28 Ironton 6

4th and iches
Freshman Team

Re: WK1 2018 Ironton @ Wheelersburg

Post by 4th and iches »

Went to the previews , didn’t realize how many Itonton coaches are coaching at Rock hill now . You have mark Lutz who was groomed to take over after Bob , Lou mains who was the WB coach for years at ironton including in 89 a state championship year along with Bart and Red Burcham .

4th and iches
Freshman Team

Post by 4th and iches »

That’s QB coach not WB

Half Slice
Freshman Team

Post by Half Slice »

4th and iches wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:38 am Went to the previews , didn’t realize how many Itonton coaches are coaching at Rock hill now . You have mark Lutz who was groomed to take over after Bob , Lou mains who was the WB coach for years at ironton including in 89 a state championship year along with Bart and Red Burcham .
And 3 coaches have strong Coal Grove ties in Jarrod Keaton, Brian Kidd and Joe Sark. Brian Kidd, while a RH grad, spent many years coaching and teaching at arch rival Coal Grove. All good guys that will work hard.

victor creed
Varsity

Post by victor creed »

for me it's way too early to really tell. I think burg handily wins this game. I don't see them having to wake up in the 2nd half to do it or looking ahead to next week. They may have been just as intense for week one last year with everything that was going on leading up to it As they were for week 15. I do believe ironton is better this year. They are much better conditioned which is 1/3 the battle. I also think score could indicate the game to be more lopsided than it actually will be early on but I seek burg pulling head throughout. I have seen both teams. And I feel like I got a better idea of how good ironton can be from their scrimmage than how good wheelersburg can be from their scrimmage. Burg had several potential starters not dressed and really subbed a lot of kids early. The thing ironton fans have to remember is this is not an overnight deal. They are not gonna be state contenders week 1. Bob lutz started out 0-2. If the tigers are 1-3. After week 4. It's ok. They are improving over last year. And the sophomore and junior classes are ver good. Ironton fans and players need to keep up the support of the coaching staff It's probably next year that this series becomes a rivalry again.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

as much as tiger fans want this one right outta the chute. it will be a tall order for the fighting tigers. but don't think for a minute the players and coaches don't think they are in it to win it. a few breaks here and there could go along way , if they are playing fundamentally sound. a turnover at the right time, and not getting burnt deep over the top very early in the game could go a long way. watching for trickeration, onside kicks and the like. either way this will be a huge test, as well as a great gauge as to the direction coach Pendleton's squad is going. I think it will be an electric atmosphere.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

If Ironton keeps it close for awhile look out this game becomes dangerous for Wheelersburg... talking to a few around the program yesterday, they truly believe the have a shot to win and they believe it’s going to happen. That’s half the battle is self belief. Wheelersburg will be playing a different Tiger mindset than what’s its been the last few years. I can’t wait, win, lose or draw this rivalry is going to be back.

artisgilmore
Varsity

Post by artisgilmore »

How do you get to the Facebook streaming of the Ironton Gallic preview game.Thanks

Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

artisgilmore wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:49 am How do you get to the Facebook streaming of the Ironton Gallic preview game.Thanks
SEARCH Lawrwnce County Live.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

TOUGH wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:45 am If Ironton keeps it close for awhile look out this game becomes dangerous for Wheelersburg... talking to a few around the program yesterday, they truly believe the have a shot to win and they believe it’s going to happen. That’s half the battle is self belief. Wheelersburg will be playing a different Tiger mindset than what’s its been the last few years. I can’t wait, win, lose or draw this rivalry is going to be back.
As the infamous words of Herman Edwards say “You play to win the game.” I would hope they believe that. Why else play?

When Burg goes up by 14-17 points, that’s when you’ll see what kind of fight your Tigers have. Will they fold or keep chugging away. That’s the big question that I believe everyone wants answered.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

There is a new energy around the Ironton program, and the community has bought in, I believe. I think the biggest thing is everyone needs to understand this is the 1st game of the new era.

Additionally you're going into the house of the defending state champ, so while being cautiously optomistic, I wouldnt go all in on the 1st game, regardless who you play, but especially Wheelersburg.

Close until mid 3rd.

Pirates 34
Tigers 17

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

obviously the pirates are a heavy favorite. defending state champs, and they have owned and tamed the tigers lately. but all that don't change anything the 24th about it being a new start for the fighting tigers , who are ready to start their own discussion on how things end up. I think this will be an extremely confident bunch. that will be strong willed and ready. can they match up with burg, who knows. that chapter is there for the taking. I hope it is a wonderful game and that this rivalry returns to the premiere game in southern ohio every year. ==================================== and congratulations to the wheelersburg 11/12 year old girl's softball team. who won THE LITTLE LEAGUE ''WORLD'' SERIES. THAT IS INCREDIBLY AMAZING TO ME. 1ST TIME I UNDERSTAND THAT AN OHIO TEAM WON THIS , BOYS OR GIRLS. MAN O MAN , THAT'S CRAZY.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

closer and closer to this game everyday, can't wait

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
BlizzardMan
S

Post by BlizzardMan »

More of the same. Sorry. Optimism is awesome but no way still this game is close at any point and Wheelersburg will win by at least 4 scores. Just my opinion.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

good luck to the fighting tigers tonight as they scrimmage a very strong Portsmouth west squad.as they are getting ready for their opener next week with wheelersburg.

Piratefan2
Varsity

Post by Piratefan2 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:43 am good luck to the fighting tigers tonight as they scrimmage a very strong Portsmouth west squad.as they are getting ready for their opener next week with wheelersburg.
That will be a very interesting game!

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:43 am good luck to the fighting tigers tonight as they scrimmage a very strong Portsmouth west squad.as they are getting ready for their opener next week with wheelersburg.
This will be a great opportunity to see how they do the little things. Blocking, tackling, pursuit. To see how they handle themselves when things aren't going their way.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
pembrook burrows III
JV Team

Post by pembrook burrows III »

Something to remember - when Bob Lutz took over at Ironton in the early 70's, he lost his first two games. And he was not asked to play the defending State champs in game one. So everyone needs to be cool. Wheelersburg did not get to where it is today in 4 weeks of August practices.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

absolutely. but in bob's 1st or 2nd year he was in a state championship game as well. so one never knows the other side of the coin.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

1972 Bob Lutz 8-2-0

Ironton Opp
Columbus DeSales (H) 0 7
Portsmouth (A) 7 12
Waverly (H) 39 14
Athens (A) 6 0
Meigs (H) 37 0
Logan (A) 7 0
Wellston (H) 43 0
Gallipolis (A) 46 14
Jackson (A) 28 6
Fairborn Park Hills (H) 14 0
Totals 227 53

laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

pembrook burrows III wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:08 pm Something to remember - when Bob Lutz took over at Ironton in the early 70's, he lost his first two games. And he was not asked to play the defending State champs in game one. So everyone needs to be cool. Wheelersburg did not get to where it is today in 4 weeks of August practices.
The game has changed so much since lutz days. Where running the ball was 90% of the offense. Why do irontonians keep referring to lutz?

Return to “Football”