2018 Ironton Head football coach

coach knows
Freshman Team

Re: 2018 Ironton Head football coach

Post by coach knows »

I am glad to see that the Board has made some moves this should open some eyes.

coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

Kids come First wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:14 am
Mavrick2016 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:03 am Posting the job doesn't mean that Vass is out, he can still reapply.
Now you will see if anyone out there has any interest in job.
That is true!
It should have sent a real message about where he stands.

Frank Reagan
Varsity

Post by Frank Reagan »

Game day wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:08 am Ironton has always had 2 pee wee teams at the A and B levels.
Not always. At one time, I know they had upwards of 6-7 in the 70’s and early 80’s. It dropped over time to the level it is now.

Doing the right thing is rarely easy.
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Game day wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:08 am Ironton has always had 2 pee wee teams at the A and B levels.
actually back in the 60's and 70's when I was in grade school. we had a football team for each school. west ironton, Campbell, st. Lawrence, kingsbury, Lombard, whitwell, awllll man somebody help me here,i know there were more, maybe 2 more.

and in junior high we had a 7th grade team and an 8th grade team if memory serves me correctly.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

Frank Reagan wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:11 am
Not always. At one time, I know they had upwards of 6-7 in the 70’s and early 80’s. It dropped over time to the level it is now.
I believe it has been like this since the early 90's for sure.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Abe Froman wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:06 pm Excuse me while I troll a bit.

The racehorses and thoroughbreds are located about 18 miles west of Ironton.

The circus or festival horses that the kids ride around the ring won't win you a lot of games.
abe far be it for me to be on an ironton thread. I thought you burgites did all the posting on ironton topics. just remember up till 2007, burg had only won 3 games against the fighting tigers. when lutz retired, they hired coach triplett, he was there one year, beat burg, and coached in the SEOAL and made the playoffs. since then burg has just ran roughshod over ironton obviously. but you would be sadly mistaken to think the same talent is not there to work with, even with smaller enrollment. I refuse to believe the right people can't come in and wake up ironton football from the pee wee and up. but they have to do like the burg, buy all in. work harder and coach better. weight training all year long, like we used to. and have an experienced coach with experienced assistants. and it may have to be somebody completely outside the program to get it jump started. ------------------- but these things run in cycles we all know that. but you see it everywhere else. look at lil Portsmouth east, that guy came in an completely revamped a d7 program by rebooting everything. at d7 it's not like the place was crawling with superior athletes, but the most was made of what they had. ------------------ now the guy is at south point. some may think that was a move sideways instead of up. but he will have a d5 program, more athletes roaming the halls, better facilities, more monety to work with. and a much bigger fan base, in a bigger league. so if south point gives him a chance, he'll get it going there as well. Merrill triplett was the answer at ironton after lutz, but the town didn't appreciate a man who was a hometown hero,a fighting tiger himself, and had coached all over the country. vas is a hometime fighting tiger as well with college experience and seemed like a great fit. he's a great guy, and his staff all are as well. but it is just simply not getting done there now. ------------------------ and there is way too much chatter about the program to all be rumors about work ethic. I say that with the deepest respect. -------------- but all jobs are performance based, and coaching sports is no different. if a job is not producing , any job, then the people over it will find someone who can. the loyalty of fans needn't be questioned by the public for wanting to see a program restarted. so these rivalries with Ashland, burg and rusell turn into slugfest must see events again. and the ovc teams have developed all new rivalries aside from ironton, Portsmouth and gahs who have been dooking it out since George Washington's wooden teeth came in.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

coach knows wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:53 am
Frank Reagan wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:11 am
I believe it has been like this since the early 90's for sure.
yes you are correct that's about the time they went to 2 teams. the ironton eagles, and the ironton bills formerly the ironton chargers. now I think they are like ironton black, and ironton orange.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

The Pee Wee level has lost some very good people who use to run the program over the years. The level of learning has gone down with more influence from parents along with fights and arguments off the field. As well as parents trying to bully the play on the field. This has gone on and followed certain kids to varsity level. Which is a cancer to a successful team. Even when some kids are doing everything right it takes 11 working as one on the field. No matter who the coach is the parents and all the players need to know they earn the right to play by their hard work on and off the field. Not with outside influence. Also working hard is not kids using their fingers on electronics.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

farmer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:10 am The Pee Wee level has lost some very good people who use to run the program over the years. The level of learning has gone down with more influence from parents along with fights and arguments off the field. As well as parents trying to bully the play on the field. This has gone on and followed certain kids to varsity level. Which is a cancer to a successful team. Even when some kids are doing everything right it takes 11 working as one on the field. No matter who the coach is the parents and all the players need to know they earn the right to play by their hard work on and off the field. Not with outside influence. Also working hard is not kids using their fingers on electronics.
We said!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

farmer I experienced the same thing coaching grade school football at rock hill as well, and I certainly have seen these changes and difficulties 1st hand myself. and you are right, there are quite a few guys that ran the pee wee programs of the past that could have been an amazing high school staff if assembled correctly. hard to say if any are interested at this point. your post is wonderful and truthful. let the coaches coach and the parents be parents. you have to have one heartbeat,one goal, and get back to a much more grueling work ethic. first and foremost at any level proper fundamentals have to be taught from the ground up in a program. I really liked your post and it brought back a lot of memories for me as well.

farmer
SEOP

Post by farmer »

Coaching at the lower levels takes a different approach than at Varsity level. Just as teaching Math in 3rd grade is not the same as teaching 10th grade and up. Along that same line parents giving kids the answers in 3rd grade does not help the kid out in 10th grade. Or when State tests come and the kid doesn't know it. But then blames the teacher or just anything else besides seeing what their help has caused. Then one of the biggest problems with Ironton football is the entitlement that some players, parents and fans think you go to Ironton. So you are good at football. Which is good to talk about but the work has to be put in not just talk around it like the players have put in the work. Back to the same as before this is not all players. Just takes 1 player on fourth and goal to not do their assignment to be the deciding play from winning or losing.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:42 am
actually back in the 60's and 70's when I was in grade school. we had a football team for each school. west ironton, Campbell, st. Lawrence, kingsbury, Lombard, whitwell, awllll man somebody help me here,i know there were more, maybe 2 more.

and in junior high we had a 7th grade team and an 8th grade team if memory serves me correctly.
Lombard, Whitell, Central, Cambell, Kingsbury, St Lawrence, Lawrence Street, West Ironton

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:42 am

Lombard, Whitell, Central, Cambell, Kingsbury, St Lawrence, Lawrence Street, West Ironton
For ironton to be successful they are going to have to look at the lower levels and find some consistency. Vass needs a good feeder system not new assistant coaches. That’s temporary fixing.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

wobycat wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:09 pm

For ironton to be successful they are going to have to look at the lower levels and find some consistency. Vass needs a good feeder system not new assistant coaches. That’s temporary fixing.
I think Ironton now is looking for a new head coach. They have opened the job up for outside coaches to apply. They will post 5 days internally and they will go outside after the 5 days.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Yes, the feeder system needs worked on. We also need Assistant Coaches that know the fundamentals of Football so they can actually teach them. Just because you Coached one sport does not make you a good Coach at another sport, that's one of the problems with the current Staff.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

thank ole buddy, ole bait was vapor locked I spect.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Game day wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:28 pm

I think Ironton now is looking for a new head coach. They have opened the job up for outside coaches to apply. They will post 5 days internally and they will go outside after the 5 days.
I had not seen that anywhere yet. so is the position open, or is this just needed to do to keep the current staff by legal standards.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

The jobs are posted on tigertown.com.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

http://www.tigertown.com/district_info/employment

Job Openings

The following positions, for the 2017-2018 school year, are currently open with the Ironton City Schools:

Custodian: 200 Days
Substitutes (ex. Bus Driver, Cook, Custodian, Paraprofessional, Secretary, etc.) - As Needed Basis
Tutor - As Needed Basis (ex. Intervention Programs, Home Instruction, Summer School, etc.)

Supplemental Openings

The following supplemental positions, for the 2018-2019 school year, are currently open with the Ironton City Schools:

- Head Football
- Assistant Football
- Head Volleyball
- Assistant Volleyball
- Head Golf
- Head Tennis
- Cross Country
- Cheerleader Advisor
- Assistant Cheerleader Advisor
- Majorettes, Flag, Field
- Band Director
- Assistant Band Director

Applications are available on line by clicking Teaching Application, Classified Application, or Athletic Application. Applications are also available at the Ironton Board of Education, 105 South Fifth Street, Ironton, Ohio.

If you plan to apply for a position with the Ironton City Schools, please read this important information before you submit your application.

Employees of the Ironton City School District
Employees of the Ironton City School District that want to be considered for a any of the above job openings may submit an e-mail or a letter of interest to Dean Nance, Superintendent: dean.nance@tigertown.com

Employment opportunities with the Ironton City Schools are offered without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, or disability.

BBALL99
Freshman Team

Post by BBALL99 »

Is this the first year they have "Opened" up all the supplementals like this?

Return to “Football”