Re: 2018 Ironton Head football coach

Post by Oak »

Is that Grizzle from Greenup?
Who is Ray?

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Oak wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:47 pm Is that Grizzle from Greenup?
Who is Ray?
Ray Finkle

coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

One thing for sure I think there will be a new head coach!

Buramgerdin
Freshman Team

Post by Buramgerdin »

Who is Ray?
Fred Ray from Fairview

coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

Tigercannon71 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:14 am I tell you what there's a former Tiger player who is now an assistant in Kentucky who applied and didnt even get a call back which is crazy considering he just coached in a state game as well helping to take his team to the state semis the past few years. He runs his teams weightroom and he calls all the plays for both JV and Freshman. Yet he didnt get a call back, yet guys with not even half that experience did. That doesnt seem right does it.
Most of us know why and you should to! Do I think it is right no but that is how life goes.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

THIS IS A POST THAT WAS A REPLY TO MATT77 IN THE TOPIC ABOUT THE 2018 OVC. BUT I REALLY THINK IT'S RELEVANT TO THIS TOPIC. SO IF THE BEGINNING OF THE POST SEEMS ODD, IT WAS A REPLY TO ANOTHER POSTERS POST ABOUT HOW HE SAW THE 2018 OVC PLAYING OUT.

matt I think that may be one of the most informative, knowledgeable posts I ever read. I used to be on top of things like this when I lived back home. but after moving away, I really have no idea. coal grove made the big statement that they are gonna be the team to beat. they always have enourmous linemen that can bench press a buick. and that smashmouth style payed huge dividends this year. and it's just not off tackle every play. but enough of that to keep people honest. ===================== that's exactly what ironton needs to do is re-establish and re-create themselves with a standby type attack and enough of the bells n whistles to keep teams guessing. and off season work that will translate to better physically complete athletes. ------------------------------------- let's face it when you talk about ole ironton football. half the teams were beat when the bus pulled up. they were big n mean n fast, and beat people into submission. no matter what anybody says, or how many or few kids came from outside. you did not want ironton on your schedule. burg was a team that won 3 games against ironton up to 2007. now they have owned us. nobody, I mean nobody will ever convince me that , that can never be duplicated again right there in the tank. with the same kids walking those hallways. I refuse to believe that. the perfect example is wheelersburg here locally. replicate what is working and what has worked in the past. and put the right people in the right spots, players and coaches to get this done.
Last edited by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT on Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

bbjunky81 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:37 am While I admire the compassion many of you Ironton fans possess, the unrealistic expectations and false sense of reality is a bit overwhelming.

Can Ironton ever return to a very solid, respected SE Ohio football program? Absolutely!

Can they return to the dominant, best in SE Ohio football program they once had? Highly, highly unlikely.

I watched Ironton football twice last year and coaching decisions aside, the talent was just not there. Period. I don't care if Nick Saban took over the program, he might have mustered out a couple more wins TOPS because talent wise they just weren't impressive. While DonaldTrump posts some hilarious stuff at times, he is right that kids aren't moving into Ironton anymore and honestly - why would they? If a kid/family is looking to move to play football, then Wheelersburg is absolutely the school to go to.

There's some deep, deep political issues at Ironton that need fixed before any program wishes to perform at a high level again. Heck, just look at the whole LaFon/AD situation that occured this summer. Look at how much bashing has occured with the current coaching staff in this thread alone. They need someone with real stones to come in and not put up with the parental nonsense anymore but I'm not sure they're going to have the necessary town backing to do so.
JUNK, THAT'S AN AWESOME POST. HELL'S BELLS === FIX WHAT'S WRONG. PUT IT OUT THERE FOR ALL TO SEE AND FIX IT. AND RUN THE PROGRAMS AND ATHLETICS RIGHT AGAIN.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Buramgerdin wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:32 am
Ricky Bobby wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:57 am Any names floating around of coaches from out of state that applied or are candidates for the job, particularly WV coaches ?
Luke Sammons from Cabell Midland interviewed yesterday. Four coaches were interviewed yesterday, Grizzle, Pendleton, Ray, and Sammons.
that is awesome if accurate. the suspense is killin me.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

wobycat wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:52 pm
Who is Ray?
Ray Finkle
einhorn has to be in there somewhere then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pistol
Freshman Team

Post by pistol »

You all think Sammons is going to leave one of the biggest schools in WV to come to Division 5 Ironton to play in the OVC? Sure!

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

pistol wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:38 pm You all think Sammons is going to leave one of the biggest schools in WV to come to Division 5 Ironton to play in the OVC? Sure!
Whether he leaves or not, he applied and interviewed for it for some reason.

pistol
Freshman Team

Post by pistol »

Sure it wasn't a relative of the head coach. There are other Salmon's on the staff.

Edmond Dantes
Riding the Bench

Post by Edmond Dantes »

If Ironton has an outside hire, Fred Ray would be outstanding.

He’s done a nice job at Fairview, played all 4 years as a QB at Ohio University, and played his high school ball at Martins Ferry for Hall of Famer Dave Bruney.

All quality experiences, but his time at Ferry (who are big rivals with Ironton’s old friend Bellaire, one of the states oldest rivalries) means he understands the meaning and significance of a tradition-rich school and community.

He would certainly help modernize Ironton, which is desperately needed.

clbbig12
Freshman Team

Post by clbbig12 »

Is Pendleton the guy who played at Michigan state

Getting Older
Riding the Bench

Post by Getting Older »

Yes he is

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Pendleton would be a good hire too. Young man that knows what it takes to be successful in all areas of the game. I also heard that there was some other coaches that would help him get started. These are Ironton high alumni and have coached for many years at the high school level. I spoke to one of them last summer and he said it would take something special for him to coach again. He must think this is something special for the town of Ironton.

coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

pistol wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:57 pm Sure it wasn't a relative of the head coach. There are other Salmon's on the staff.
Very good point!

Urban
Riding the Bench

Post by Urban »

Ironton has options of coaches with previous head coaching experience, so Pendleton probably isn't getting the job. But it seems like posters are throwing their buddies names out there as potential assistant coaches for Pendleton to create opportunities for themselves. Why would Pendleton want a bunch of retread coaches telling him what to do and undermining what he wants to change. Kinda defeats the purpose. If they want former Ironton coaches just hire one of them.

If assistant coaches are that important just keep Vass and make him change the staff. If Vass fights it he's gonna stay on as coach anyways. Ironton is gonna be in total termoil.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

Urban wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:31 am Ironton has options of coaches with previous head coaching experience, so Pendleton probably isn't getting the job. But it seems like posters are throwing their buddies names out there as potential assistant coaches for Pendleton to create opportunities for themselves. Why would Pendleton want a bunch of retread coaches telling him what to do and undermining what he wants to change. Kinda defeats the purpose. If they want former Ironton coaches just hire one of them.

If assistant coaches are that important just keep Vass and make him change the staff. If Vass fights it he's gonna stay on as coach anyways. Ironton is gonna be in total termoil.
Vass is the problem. But I don't agree with you any young coach is going to have people on his staff that have been there done that. These coaches are there to help any smart coach hires an experience staff to help in all areas of the team. By the way why would they undermine what he wants to do!

Urban
Riding the Bench

Post by Urban »

Simple. Biggest problem with Ironton is they are split. Half the people want 1950s Lutz ball and the other half wants new age ball. Those guys aren't gonna agree with what Pendleton would want to do because they too are old school. The game has changed, change with it or be left behind.

This is why Ironton needs to hire an established coach whose schemes are proven with a track record.

Return to “Football”