2018 Ironton Head football coach

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Re: 2018 Ironton Head football coach

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

moonshine wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:55 am Tell us what is VAS'Ss record at ironton and how many OVC Championship have the team won while Vass is in charge?
Vass Record 35-29

Wheelersburg ----------- 1-7
Ashland, KY ------------- 2-4
Russell, KY -------------- 4-2
Raceland, KY ----------- 1-1
Johnson Central, KY --- 0-2
Beachwood, KY --------- 0-1
Johnstown Monroe ----- 0-1
Bishop Watterson ------- 0-1
Coshocton ---------------- 0-1
Amanda Clearcreek ----- 2-0
Oak Hill ------------------- 2-0
Bishop Hartley ----------- 0-2
Bloom Carroll ------------ 1-0
ST Charles ---------------- 1-1
Meigs ---------------------- 1-0
Jackson ------------------- 0-1
Martins Ferry ------------ 1-0

Portsmouth -------------- 4-2
Fairland ------------------ 2-1
Coal Grove --------------- 2-1
South Point -------------- 3-0
Rock Hill ----------------- 3-0
Gallia Academy --------- 2-1
Chesapeake -------------- 3-0

EaglePride1
Waterboy

Post by EaglePride1 »

According to some developing news from KY, Fred Ray is the front runner. :?:

Shane Falco
Freshman Team

Post by Shane Falco »

EaglePride1 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:53 pm According to some developing news from KY, Fred Ray is the front runner. :?:
That would be a good hire.

Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

How can someone be a front runner when their still interviewing, and when two people are doing the interviews,
and they shouldn't be talking who's the front runner.

Gone Country
Waterboy

Post by Gone Country »

Mavrick2016 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:14 pm How can someone be a front runner when their still interviewing, and when two people are doing the interviews,
This is fun postin on here and throwin barbs at others but that is all it is. I can say with a high degree of certainty that anyone, at least anyone on seops, has no info on what's going on with this process. The fact is, the AD will finish interviewing the candidates then he will make his recommendation to the BOE based on who he thinks is the best candidate. Then, the BOE has the final say, if they don't agree then they all regroup including the AD until a decision is made. A good percentage of the public believe it to be heading to a final choice with the wrong motivations driving it. Ironton reaps a lot of revenue from community involvement and attendance on Friday nites...the numbers are dwindling and that is the driving factor. Winning football at Ironton feeds not only the cash box on football Friday nites but the rest/all of Ironton sports.
There was once the term "Lawrence County All Stars" thrown about in reference to Ironton. What do you think local teams play when they play last years D5 champs and why? That program is rolling and they deserve credit for what they have accomplished. BUT, whether they want to admit it or not 5 or even 7 years doesn't make a dynasty.
The final decision on Ironton's football future hangs on this choice they are about to make and so do the other sports including basketball, baseball and ALL the others.

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Edmond Dantes wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:45 pm You guys make it seems like running the spread is extremely complicated. When run and taught correctly, it’s not.

It’s a handful of plays that can be run out of multiple formations. Just because you change a formation or tempo doesn’t mean the assignment or fundamentals change. In college, we had over 180 different one back formations, but only 3 run concepts.

In fact, most spread systems are fairly easy for kids to pick up and remember. Options are either built in or a check system is installed that allows the coaches to get the boys in the best possible play vs the defensive look.

As a former coordinator that used to be under-center in 21/22 personnel-based settings.....I’ll never go back to that stuff unless it’s 4th and short or inside the +4 yard line. It’s too easy to get number and matchup advantages using spread tempo. I don’t know about you guys, but I would rather play 1-on-1, 2-on-2, 3-on3, 7-on-6, or 8-on-7 as opposed to 9-on-11 and maxed-out boxes where there are lots more variables to go wrong.

To each their own though. There is a place for the old-school stuff, it’s just easier to score points with less talent other ways IMO.
Yeah, I know how a spread offense works and agree with you on a lot of points. However, you have to take into account how offense effects defense. There is much to be said for controlling clock and sustained drives. I've seen countless teams who would've benefited from a more conventional scheme and lose for the sake of being "sexy". And many more variables can go wrong in space without superior personnel imho.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Gone Country wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:22 pm
Mavrick2016 wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:14 pm How can someone be a front runner when their still interviewing, and when two people are doing the interviews,
This is fun postin on here and throwin barbs at others but that is all it is. I can say with a high degree of certainty that anyone, at least anyone on seops, has no info on what's going on with this process. The fact is, the AD will finish interviewing the candidates then he will make his recommendation to the BOE based on who he thinks is the best candidate. Then, the BOE has the final say, if they don't agree then they all regroup including the AD until a decision is made. A good percentage of the public believe it to be heading to a final choice with the wrong motivations driving it. Ironton reaps a lot of revenue from community involvement and attendance on Friday nites...the numbers are dwindling and that is the driving factor. Winning football at Ironton feeds not only the cash box on football Friday nites but the rest/all of Ironton sports.
There was once the term "Lawrence County All Stars" thrown about in reference to Ironton. What do you think local teams play when they play last years D5 champs and why? That program is rolling and they deserve credit for what they have accomplished. BUT, whether they want to admit it or not 5 or even 7 years doesn't make a dynasty.
The final decision on Ironton's football future hangs on this choice they are about to make and so do the other sports including basketball, baseball and ALL the others.
LOL. I don’t care anything about being a “dynasty”. I am very comfortable with The Burg program and it’s current direction. It sounds like you are a little jealous though. For a Waterboy, that’s not a good thing.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

We will see how smart the board is because they are going to make a choice and will need to support it. Also I have no faith what so ever that the AD has the best in mind for the football team. This school system and employees have more agenda's for themselves than do the kids.

Edmond Dantes
Riding the Bench

Post by Edmond Dantes »

bfry wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:36 pm
Edmond Dantes wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:45 pm You guys make it seems like running the spread is extremely complicated. When run and taught correctly, it’s not.

It’s a handful of plays that can be run out of multiple formations. Just because you change a formation or tempo doesn’t mean the assignment or fundamentals change. In college, we had over 180 different one back formations, but only 3 run concepts.

In fact, most spread systems are fairly easy for kids to pick up and remember. Options are either built in or a check system is installed that allows the coaches to get the boys in the best possible play vs the defensive look.

As a former coordinator that used to be under-center in 21/22 personnel-based settings.....I’ll never go back to that stuff unless it’s 4th and short or inside the +4 yard line. It’s too easy to get number and matchup advantages using spread tempo. I don’t know about you guys, but I would rather play 1-on-1, 2-on-2, 3-on3, 7-on-6, or 8-on-7 as opposed to 9-on-11 and maxed-out boxes where there are lots more variables to go wrong.

To each their own though. There is a place for the old-school stuff, it’s just easier to score points with less talent other ways IMO.
Yeah, I know how a spread offense works and agree with you on a lot of points. However, you have to take into account how offense effects defense. There is much to be said for controlling clock and sustained drives. I've seen countless teams who would've benefited from a more conventional scheme and lose for the sake of being "sexy". And many more variables can go wrong in space without superior personnel imho.

I’m with you - definetly not saying it doesn’t have a place. A lot of schools would benefit from a more conventional scheme. But if you have talent, I just hate to see it put in a box and limited. When you face teams that are as good as you, you limit your chances to beat them. When you play someone that is better, you almost eliminate your chances to beat them. I’m not saying you have to be extreme like Mike Leach, but how many games would he have won at Texas Tech if he ran a convention offense? A lot less for sure.

I do disagree with you on the superior personnel. I have had two of the shortest and slowest wideouts become all-staters. PM me and I’ll let you know who they are for validity.

I’m sure every defensive coordinator would love for his offense to score as many points as possible. But coming in second, playing the least amount of snaps and good field position would be nice too. But I’d bet, if you score 30 ppg, he would feel good about calling the defense.

The flip side to how offense effects defense in the spread is number of snaps, tempo changes, and being the roadrunner instead of the coyote. It takes a lot more energy, both mentally and physically, to play defense. Ask any defensive coordinator, tempo is no fun, and that doesn’t mean you have to go blazing fast all the time.

You have to have drive efficiency when running the spread, which means at least 1 first down per drive, no 3 and outs. But who says you can’t be efficient in the spread? Example - in a playoff clinching game, my offense threw the ball 1 time in the 2nd half after throwing for 3 TDS in the first half. We won the game by 14 points and limited the number of possessions they had in the 2nd half. Didn’t huddle once!

bfry
JV Team

Post by bfry »

Edmond Dantes wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:31 am
bfry wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:36 pm

I’m with you - definetly not saying it doesn’t have a place. A lot of schools would benefit from a more conventional scheme. But if you have talent, I just hate to see it put in a box and limited. When you face teams that are as good as you, you limit your chances to beat them. When you play someone that is better, you almost eliminate your chances to beat them. I’m not saying you have to be extreme like Mike Leach, but how many games would he have won at Texas Tech if he ran a convention offense? A lot less for sure.

I do disagree with you on the superior personnel. I have had two of the shortest and slowest wideouts become all-staters. PM me and I’ll let you know who they are for validity.

I’m sure every defensive coordinator would love for his offense to score as many points as possible. But coming in second, playing the least amount of snaps and good field position would be nice too. But I’d bet, if you score 30 ppg, he would feel good about calling the defense.

The flip side to how offense effects defense in the spread is number of snaps, tempo changes, and being the roadrunner instead of the coyote. It takes a lot more energy, both mentally and physically, to play defense. Ask any defensive coordinator, tempo is no fun, and that doesn’t mean you have to go blazing fast all the time.

You have to have drive efficiency when running the spread, which means at least 1 first down per drive, no 3 and outs. But who says you can’t be efficient in the spread? Example - in a playoff clinching game, my offense threw the ball 1 time in the 2nd half after throwing for 3 TDS in the first half. We won the game by 14 points and limited the number of possessions they had in the 2nd half. Didn’t huddle once!
Oh I'm not questioning the viability of the spread at all. Having coached it and against it, I know the problems it creates. However, there is a reason why the service academies run what they do. To make more talented teams play in a phone both and strict assignment defense.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

is there any time frame on the hire, by a certain date I should say. not that I want to rush this.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Tigercannon71
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Tigercannon71 »

I ran some numbers a few weeks ago. So for you guys that were asking.
Vass was 35-29 with 2 OVC titles.
vs Burg was 1-7 oustcored by them 305-89
of the 29 losses 21 of them was by 14 or more points
2-4 in the playoffs made it 4 of 6 years and his playoffs losses where by an average of 25 points.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Tigercannon71 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:21 am I ran some numbers a few weeks ago. So for you guys that were asking.
Vass was 35-29 with 2 OVC titles.
vs Burg was 1-7 oustcored by them 305-89
of the 29 losses 21 of them was by 14 or more points
2-4 in the playoffs made it 4 of 6 years and his playoffs losses where by an average of 25 points.
Add to that list have been outscored by Ashland the last 3 years by 118 to 3. Have not scored a TD on them in 3 years.

osu 77
All State

Post by osu 77 »

Game day wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:54 am
We will see how smart the board is because they are going to make a choice and will need to support it. Also I have no faith what so ever that the AD has the best in mind for the football team. This school system and employees have more agenda's for themselves than do the kids.
I will second that. I feel anyone that was on last years staff should not be involved in the interview process period!

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

So did Andy Hall apply? and did Gifford from East? Or did he just pull his name out when he got South Point.

Buramgerdin
Freshman Team

Post by Buramgerdin »

N2Hoops wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:18 am So did Andy Hall apply? and did Gifford from East? Or did he just pull his name out when he got South Point.
Neither applied.

Despite what Gone Country thinks, there are people in this thread that know exactly what is going on, and he doesn't seem to be one of them. If you recall, I posted exactly who was getting interviewed and that was exactly who did get interviewed.

Buramgerdin
Freshman Team

Post by Buramgerdin »

2thwzd wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:24 am
So let me get this straight, you have a "hold over coach" from last years coaching staff and an AD who is also the head basketball coach :lol:,interviewing for the future of Tiger football :lol: :lol: :lol: THAT SEEMS ABOUT RIGHT :roll:
You are correct.

Mavrick2016
JV Team

Post by Mavrick2016 »

Buramgerdin wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:11 pm
So let me get this straight, you have a "hold over coach" from last years coaching staff and an AD who is also the head basketball coach :lol:,interviewing for the future of Tiger football :lol: :lol: :lol: THAT SEEMS ABOUT RIGHT :roll:
You are correct.
So if you know everything then please tell us, who's going to be the next head coach at Ironton.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

You are correct.
I agree what the hell are they thinking. I was wondering if I was the only one who thought that was strange!

Buramgerdin
Freshman Team

Post by Buramgerdin »

Mavrick2016 wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:05 pm
You are correct.
So if you know everything then please tell us, who's going to be the next head coach at Ironton.
They have not made a decision as of today. The board will select the next coach from 24 applications. Eight have now been interviewed.

Return to “Football”