2018 Ironton Head football coach

Kids come First
Waterboy

Ironton BOE Meeting 12/19

Post by Kids come First »

People that are upset with current Ironton football coaching need to show up at Board of Education meetings to complain. I am hearing that people just complain on the computer such as this website and Facebook. If anyone cares about these kids and our community then you need to come to this board meeting to state your opinion. The only way change can occur is if we put pressure on school board and athletic director. It’s not just about winning but teaching these young men discipline, hardwork, teamwork, and etc. Also, we are the only school district in Lawrence and scioto county that does not make any of our coaches have 1 year contracts for each sport, we simply just let their contracts renew each year without posting those positions. That means head football coach position has never been posted as an open position the whole time the current coach has been head coach. Remember the only way change can occur is by people coming together at school board meetings and not allowing this to continue because the coach is not going to resign.

Shane Falco
Freshman Team

Re: Ironton BOE Meeting 12/19

Post by Shane Falco »

Why would the HC position be posted each year when it is currently filled?

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Kids come First wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:31 pm People that are upset with current Ironton football coaching need to show up at Board of Education meetings to complain. I am hearing that people just complain on the computer such as this website and Facebook. If anyone cares about these kids and our community then you need to come to this board meeting to state your opinion. The only way change can occur is if we put pressure on school board and athletic director. It’s not just about winning but teaching these young men discipline, hardwork, teamwork, and etc. Also, we are the only school district in Lawrence and scioto county that does not make any of our coaches have 1 year contracts for each sport, we simply just let their contracts renew each year without posting those positions. That means head football coach position has never been posted as an open position the whole time the current coach has been head coach. Remember the only way change can occur is by people coming together at school board meetings and not allowing this to continue because the coach is not going to resign.
Interesting post from a 1st time poster, guessing parent that wants to see change??

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

greygoose wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:02 pm
Kids come First wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:31 pm People that are upset with current Ironton football coaching need to show up at Board of Education meetings to complain. I am hearing that people just complain on the computer such as this website and Facebook. If anyone cares about these kids and our community then you need to come to this board meeting to state your opinion. The only way change can occur is if we put pressure on school board and athletic director. It’s not just about winning but teaching these young men discipline, hardwork, teamwork, and etc. Also, we are the only school district in Lawrence and scioto county that does not make any of our coaches have 1 year contracts for each sport, we simply just let their contracts renew each year without posting those positions. That means head football coach position has never been posted as an open position the whole time the current coach has been head coach. Remember the only way change can occur is by people coming together at school board meetings and not allowing this to continue because the coach is not going to resign.
Interesting post from a 1st time poster, guessing parent that wants to see change??
I agree. I guess the ball is in the court of all the different people on this site and others that are from Ironton that have been saying the current coaching staff needs to go. Interesting to see what happens. Keep us posted.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Guess my thing is even with a new HC, Ironton seems to be calling for a new one every year or so, are they going to give the person a legitimate opportunity??? When you live in the past winnings of Lutz and you don't accept the reality of today's team no one will ever be good enough. Best thing for Ironton is to start new, but the community also needs to quit comparing every team and every coach to (X) year's Ironton teams of the past.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

I agree we should not live in the past but this staff has had a great deal of time to get this program together. I can not name a game and year where the Ironton football teams have over achieved.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Maybe change is needed, maybe it's not, I'm in no position to comment on that.

But I absolutely hate posts like this. Coaching seems so easy 'from the outside' and as great as this forum is the coach bashing really gets overwhelming. I don't know a coach in SE Ohio that doesn't try his/her best to improve whatever program they're leading. Coaching high school sports is a tough job -- typically if you're winning the credit goes to the kids, yet if you're losing the blame goes on the coach.. It's a vicious cycle.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
laser breath
Varsity

Post by laser breath »

bbjunky81 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:38 am Maybe change is needed, maybe it's not, I'm in no position to comment on that.

But I absolutely hate posts like this. Coaching seems so easy 'from the outside' and as great as this forum is the coach bashing really gets overwhelming. I don't know a coach in SE Ohio that doesn't try his/her best to improve whatever program they're leading. Coaching high school sports is a tough job -- typically if you're winning the credit goes to the kids, yet if you're losing the blame goes on the coach.. It's a vicious cycle.
Totally agree. I’m an outsider on this but vass has inherited a tough situation. Ironton has declined to a small amount number of kids. It also has some socioeconomic issues as well. Ironton may never gets back to prominence but I’m not so sure vass is the reason.

coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

If you watched any Ironton games you would say he is the main reason for their decline.

Shane Falco
Freshman Team

Post by Shane Falco »

I understand everyone's frustration. Not use to having up and down years like everyone else in a small division except for Wheelersburg. Having only two losing seasons in the past 10 years and making the playoffs the other seven isn't too bad. Vass has some responsibility but times have changed. I think if this continues in a downward spiral for another season or two then make a change. Whoever else would come in will have some down years as well. You can only coach up with what you have.

coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

He cannot coach up anyone that is the problem!

Shane Falco
Freshman Team

Post by Shane Falco »

How long has Vass been the HC?

Otto
JV Team

Post by Otto »

Shane Falco wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:35 am How long has Vass been the HC?
6 years.

JacksonMayor
Waterboy

Post by JacksonMayor »

Just look at all the Ironton "faithful" wallowing in their own misery on here and you will find the real root of the problem. Ironton isnt ever going to be what it once was just as most towns in SEO wont. We have been forgotten by our state. Developing this area is no longer a priority and people are leaving for better opportunities elsewhere. This leaves behind a smaller and tighter talent pool. Hire who you want but the result isnt really going to change that much. Or better yet, some of you need to break out your whistles and become part of the solution instead of being part of the problem.

I feel sorry for Coach Vass and ofr HS coaches in general. Parents are idiots.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

JacksonMayor wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:12 am Just look at all the Ironton "faithful" wallowing in their own misery on here and you will find the real root of the problem. Ironton isnt ever going to be what it once was just as most towns in SEO wont. We have been forgotten by our state. Developing this area is no longer a priority and people are leaving for better opportunities elsewhere. This leaves behind a smaller and tighter talent pool. Hire who you want but the result isnt really going to change that much. Or better yet, some of you need to break out your whistles and become part of the solution instead of being part of the problem.

Parents aren’t idiots for having higher expectations. They are unrealistic of their environment and the expectations that unfortunately are the facts of the area. It’s not the state’s fault for the change of jobs and the structure. River towns just aren’t the need they once were with the technological advances that have occurred. It’s the state’s fault for not consolidating some of the schools in the area.

Coach vass is a professional teacher, coach, and more importantly a father. While he may not succeed in the eyes of the ironton fan base, he should be treated with respect and dignity.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

wobycat wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:22 am
JacksonMayor wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:12 am Just look at all the Ironton "faithful" wallowing in their own misery on here and you will find the real root of the problem. Ironton isnt ever going to be what it once was just as most towns in SEO wont. We have been forgotten by our state. Developing this area is no longer a priority and people are leaving for better opportunities elsewhere. This leaves behind a smaller and tighter talent pool. Hire who you want but the result isnt really going to change that much. Or better yet, some of you need to break out your whistles and become part of the solution instead of being part of the problem.

Parents aren’t idiots for having higher expectations. They are unrealistic of their environment and the expectations that unfortunately are the facts of the area. It’s not the state’s fault for the change of jobs and the structure. River towns just aren’t the need they once were with the technological advances that have occurred. It’s the state’s fault for not consolidating some of the schools in the area.

Coach vass is a professional teacher, coach, and more importantly a father. While he may not succeed in the eyes of the ironton fan base, he should be treated with respect and dignity.
No one has said they hate him but he is not a leader of young men. I have watched him coach at 2 different place and he is just not a leader.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

I believe Vass is a decent Coach, the main problem is that a lot of his Staff is family and they don't know how to Coach Football, in return it reflects on him.

burgpirater
Riding the Bench

Post by burgpirater »

brings those boys down to burg and win a state title or stay at ironton and miss the playoffs your call fellas!!!

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

ohbuckeye2 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:51 am I believe Vass is a decent Coach, the main problem is that a lot of his Staff is family and they don't know how to Coach Football, in return it reflects on him.
He was the one that hired them it starts at the head coach. I also believe Mark does not know how to coach because he is not a leader.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

burgpirater wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:57 am brings those boys down to burg and win a state title or stay at ironton and miss the playoffs your call fellas!!!
Go away!

Return to “Football”