2018 Gallia Academy Blue Devils Football Outlook

svac83
SE

Re: Memorial field

Post by svac83 »

The field seems to flood when the football team is going to be good I am sure that is not always the case but the last time the field was completely covered was the spring before the playoff run.

There is a fund to build a new stadium at centenary but honestly they probably stated 5 years to late bob Evans left the area and Holzer went into financial distress.

It is my understanding that when the raise the first million they will brake ground on the field house. That would be a big help when they get that far then memorial field would only need to be used for games. There is some hope that the million dollar mark could be reached in next year or two.

The hope is once you get that far. That maybe someone like Ohio valley bank and a couple of other buisnesses come up with enough to get the rest built.

I don’t think hunk anyone in Gallipolis believes we need a stadium the size of Jackson’s but we do need to have one big enough to serve the events that we have there and can host there.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

agreed.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

OVB own half of Gallia Co. Can't help ? WOW !

d-5
SEOPS HOF

Post by d-5 »

madpolecat wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:27 am
MTSWNGRVSG wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:12 pm This has been going on for how many years? The field floods and the buildings have to be cleaned up. The field will be ok over time. Nature will take care of the bacteria on the field. Now if you had turf would be a different story. Private funds would have to be used to move the field to the high school with the current financial condition of Gallipolis City Schools. So if there is to be a new stadium and field someone is going to have to come up with the money. If you just want a basic field, stadium, and simple field house you would need I would say about 2.5 million. But that field would not be close to what Jackson has which would cost about 5-6 million. People talking about the state coming in would present problems you do not want to deal with.
Ten years ago, I had a GA coach tell me that they would be at Memorial Field for at least another ten years.

Because it floods seemingly every few years, there's no reason to do incredible upgrades to Memorial. And as the quoted post above is getting at without saying it, the folks of Gallipolis do not want a stadium any less grandiose than that place on the hill in Jackson...

Unless a GA alum either hits the lottery or starts the next Amazon.com, I imagine that the Devils will play at Memorial for at least another ten years.
Just charge 4 dollars to park :shock:

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Why didnt Gallia just build a football field when they got a bunch of state money for a new school. Sounds like some stupid administrators. That’s how Logan and Jackson got their fields. Just have to add a couple million in the tax levy and the state funds the rest. Athens we got insurance money but we had tornado.

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

Raider6309 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:50 pm Why didnt Gallia just build a football field when they got a bunch of state money for a new school. Sounds like some stupid administrators. That’s how Logan and Jackson got their fields. Just have to add a couple million in the tax levy and the state funds the rest. Athens we got insurance money but we had tornado.
This is a easy question to answer when most schools like Athens, Jackson Gallia county local schools when they built new schools passed a certain funding levy that allowed them to get certain money kicked in by the state and that money could be used for many different purposes.

Gallipolis city schools tried to pass similar things but it failed every time they put it on ballot. The people voted it down every time. What finally got passed the way that it was passed was none of the money could be used for athletic facilities. So that is how we ended up where we are at. So not administrators citizens.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Raider6309 wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:50 pm Why didnt Gallia just build a football field when they got a bunch of state money for a new school. Sounds like some stupid administrators. That’s how Logan and Jackson got their fields. Just have to add a couple million in the tax levy and the state funds the rest. Athens we got insurance money but we had tornado.
Um yeah, that is not even close to how it works.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

I didn't think that ANY state money could be used on a stadium because it is not possible to justify a stadium as classroom space.

Am I wrong?

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:36 am when we are talking bacteria are you talking about sewage getting in there. or just dirty creek water.
I would like to ask this question again, because I did not see a response to it. this would be very concerning if sewage in fact could get on the field.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

madpolecat wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:40 am I didn't think that ANY state money could be used on a stadium because it is not possible to justify a stadium as classroom space.

Am I wrong?
Logan was given 45 million from the state. 23 million were raised through a tax levy. 5 million of that was used to build a stadium. The exact same thing Jackson did. In reality the stadium was mostly funded by the state. Most schools in the area get 50-80% funding from the state

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:53 am
madpolecat wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:40 am I didn't think that ANY state money could be used on a stadium because it is not possible to justify a stadium as classroom space.

Am I wrong?
Logan was given 45 million from the state. 23 million were raised through a tax levy. 5 million of that was used to build a stadium. The exact same thing Jackson did. In reality the stadium was mostly funded by the state. Most schools in the area get 50-80% funding from the state
How much would you like to wager that Jackson's stadium was funded by the state?

I mean seriously where do you even get your information from lol, that is just a ridiculous statement.

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Logan and Warren both got 70% funded. Athens is getting 22%. I’m sure Jackson was over 50%. You will spin it and say your tax levy paid for the stadium even though over 20 million was probably from the state

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

doubleplay643 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:16 am
Raider6309 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:53 am

Am I wrong?
How much would you like to wager that Jackson's stadium was funded by the state?

I mean seriously where do you even get your information from lol, that is just a ridiculous statement.
Raider has put up a lot of false info in the past as other has proven. This just might be another big one.

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

"I would like to ask this question again, because I did not see a response to it. this would be very concerning if sewage in fact could get on the field."

I can't address Memorial Field specifically, but there is always the potential for sewage contamination in flood waters. Manholes can overflow, municipal wastewater plants and individual sewage treatment systems can be flooded resulting in sewage and bacteria in the flood water. Hazardous materials from underground tanks, propane tanks that get swept away, etc. can also be present.
Last edited by one Oak on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:36 am, edited 4 times in total.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:20 am Logan and Warren both got 70% funded. Athens is getting 22%. I’m sure Jackson was over 50%. You will spin it and say your tax levy paid for the stadium even though over 20 million was probably from the state
No I will not spin it lol.

You are clueless with respect to what the OFCC (Ohio Facility Construction Commission) will pay for when it comes to K-12 school projects. When Jackson was built it was the OSFC (Ohio School Facility Commission) but the "rules" regarding what they will pay for when it comes to these projects were pretty much the same in 2004 as they are today.

Furthermore you are wrong with respect to LFI's (Locally Funded Initiatives) used in conjunction with OFCC/OSFC and how the Jackson stadium was built.

So quit googling crap lol and let me know how much would you like to wager?

Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

we are saying two different things. You are saying no state money was used for the stadium. I’m saying half the money from the whole project was state money.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Raider6309 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:44 am we are saying two different things. You are saying no state money was used for the stadium. I’m saying half the money from the whole project was state money.
You have said like 3 different things, all of which (as it pertains to Jackson) are completely wrong. No public money for Alumni Stadium, you are exhausting thanks for playing though.

Back to Memorial Field lol.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Its been a few years since I've been there but, in the pics it looks like there is a creek behind the field. If so is that where the flooding usually comes from or does it all come from the Ohio river?

AT THE RESERVATION
Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

Back water ! All the above !

svac83
SE

Post by svac83 »

1987chieftains wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:05 pm Its been a few years since I've been there but, in the pics it looks like there is a creek behind the field. If so is that where the flooding usually comes from or does it all come from the Ohio river?
There is a reek down behind the practice field. When I was a kid I only remember the creek flooding once or twice without the river backing up and it would get no where near the football field and be up for like a hour. When the field floods it is the Ohio causing it.

Return to “Football”