Does anyone really believe that...

hawkeyepierce
S

Does anyone really believe that...

Post by hawkeyepierce »

...their school is a "football" school?

Put away the cultural aspects of small town Appalachia where community revolves around church, school, and our children at play. Put away that football fills the athletic coffers. Put away the Friday communal gatherings, the young and the old, to cheer on their school's representatives do battle with a neighboring rival's representatives. Put away the fanfare, the tail-gating, the marching bands, the cheerleaders, the young in some corner playing their own football game, and the pageantry of it all; the bright lights, the vibrant colors, the public address announcer, the music, the noise, and the smells. Put away all of these details that make football the spectacle it is and what are we left with?

With what we know now about injury, the proclivity for long lasting head injury, I would argue nothing more than that is equivalent to the ancient Roman gladiator games. Furthermore, what are we risking this for? The hopes of a league or conference championship, a game or two in the playoffs before being ousted by a true "football school." What is it? So lets discuss.

Are you a "football" school? If so, why?

Who or what makes it so and why?

And of course, if not, why?

fbnut
SEOP

Re: Does anyone really believe that...

Post by fbnut »

Seems like you altready have your mind made up about football in this area

pistol
Freshman Team

Post by pistol »

I don't believe anyone will take your bait

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Have a good day hawkeyepierce and please try to build up instead of tear down. I said good day!!😀

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I am sincerely curious. I am not trying to disparage anyone or any community. In fact, I am envious of programs like Nelsonville-York, Wheelersburg, and/or Ironton and such. What makes them a "football" school? What is it, in the community, the school, that makes these programs successful year in and year out? What I perceived enough success for them to hold the moniker of "football" school. Furthermore, you will not read anything from me that will be condescending, negative in nature, or bashing. I am simply asking a philosophical question. Again, what makes them a "football" school?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:18 pm I am sincerely curious. I am not trying to disparage anyone or any community. In fact, I am envious of programs like Nelsonville-York, Wheelersburg, and/or Ironton and such. What makes them a "football" school? What is it, in the community, the school, that makes these programs successful year in and year out? What I perceived enough success for them to hold the moniker of "football" school. Furthermore, you will not read anything from me that will be condescending, negative in nature, or bashing. I am simply asking a philosophical question. Again, what makes them a "football" school?
Next time you walk into Dave Boston Field, look to your left......
Each class of kids that comes through know that we have a tradition and they take pride in upholding it.
Dave Boston built the program based off of hard work and disapline. We've been blessed to be able to carry that forward year after year.
Our kids believe that hard work pays off and the results speak for themselves.
So I say again, next time you come to Boston Field look to your left as you enter. Look at the number of league titles, playoff appearances..... Each class of Buckeyes wants to leave their legacy.
Our kids take a lot of pride in putting paint on the wall year after year......

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
JustusLeague
Freshman Team

Post by JustusLeague »

Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:38 pm
hawkeyepierce wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:18 pm I am sincerely curious. I am not trying to disparage anyone or any community. In fact, I am envious of programs like Nelsonville-York, Wheelersburg, and/or Ironton and such. What makes them a "football" school? What is it, in the community, the school, that makes these programs successful year in and year out? What I perceived enough success for them to hold the moniker of "football" school. Furthermore, you will not read anything from me that will be condescending, negative in nature, or bashing. I am simply asking a philosophical question. Again, what makes them a "football" school?
Each class of kids that comes through know that we have a tradition and they take pride in upholding it.
Dave Boston built the program based off of hard work and disapline. We've been blessed to be able to carry that forward year after year.
So I say again, next time you come to Boston Field look to your left as you enter. Look at the number of league titles, playoff appearances..... Each class of Buckeyes wants to leave their legacy.
Dave Boston types make a football school, a football school. He was truly an end to a special era.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Yes

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Keeping it simple and maybe semantically some...a school is a football school if the vast majority of their top athletes play football and even though they may play other sports....football gets the main attention.

Jackson is a football school.
Vinton County is a basketball school.

Jackson has a good program going in basketball and baseball but football is king until further notice. Vinton County has a great cross country program and solid golf and track programs...but basketball is king.

It doesn’t really matter if Jackson can beat DeSales. Most all of the athletes in the hallways play football. Our town loves it even though many in the crowd don’t know a ton about it. They may go to a couple basketball games if it fits into their schedule but they’ll travel 80 miles and sit in terrible conditions to watch a game they know we’ll win by 40.

Jackson is a football town. Is it as strong as ever....no. Is there a slightly noticeable trend going away from football...that can be argued....but the flagpole speaks for itself :D

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

population density + familial stability + competent/stable coaching = sustained HS football success

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

madpolecat wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:35 am population density + familial stability + competent/stable coaching = sustained HS football success
That is a great answer.
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:30 pm Keeping it simple and maybe semantically some...a school is a football school if the vast majority of their top athletes play football and even though they may play other sports....football gets the main attention.

Jackson has a good program going in basketball and baseball but football is king until further notice. Vinton County has a great cross country program and solid golf and track programs...but basketball is king.

It doesn’t really matter if Jackson can beat DeSales. Most all of the athletes in the hallways play football. Our town loves it even though many in the crowd don’t know a ton about it. They may go to a couple basketball games if it fits into their schedule but they’ll travel 80 miles and sit in terrible conditions to watch a game they know we’ll win by 40.

Jackson is a football town. Is it as strong as ever....no. Is there a slightly noticeable trend going away from football...that can be argued....but the flagpole speaks for itself :D
Oh no...if you ask around, there are many in this community believe that Vinton County is a "football" school. However, I disagree, but I do not know why I disagree? And is Vinton County a basketball school? Does success dictate the moniker of "basketball" school? For example, Unioto constantly competing on the regional level in Cross Country and Golf, but does that make it a "cross country" or "golf" school? Adena has made several trips to the state in volleyball, but that success does not translate to success in other girls' programs, but again, does that make Adena a "volleyball" school?

I suppose that every sport is different. Apples and Oranges. But the one common thread is that there is competent and stable leadership at the head of those sport programs.

I am still pondering.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:38 pm
that is an awesome post about the buckeyes. hard to think football and not think about the bucks and they have a state championship -------------------------------------------------- and the very same thing can be said for ironton. though things have not been good since 2007. you cannot even fathom thinking about a football town and ironton not pop into your head. and it will be again. burg certainly is one as well, and they as well as ironton now have a 2nd state title.people have no idea how hard it is to win a statetitle, especially as a public school. kids in ironton back in the day all they talked, thought about was football. from a toddler running around with a ball n your dad chasing you. to grade school ball and on through. football Friday nights at the tank were magical. and very few opponents came there and left happy. and the same was to be said when they come to your place. I refuse to believe that the decade of 2007 to 2018 defines ironton as no longer a football town. the town wants it too bad, and they will have it again. football towns are made of great coaches, gritty tough people and hardwork. and if you're putting that in you'll be successful

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

madpolecat wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:35 am population density + familial stability + competent/stable coaching = sustained HS football success
One could make the case that Ironton has fallen afoul of the formula in recent years...

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

The population density and stability factors don't apply so much to basketball, because you don't need nearly as many kids to be successful in hoops as you do in football.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

madpolecat wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:26 am
One could make the case that Ironton has fallen afoul of the formula in recent years...
oh I totally agree they have under achieved. but the elements are still there for a wonderfully successful program under the right leadership.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:47 pm
madpolecat wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:26 am
oh I totally agree they have under achieved. but the elements are still there for a wonderfully successful program under the right leadership.
Strongly disagree. The economy of 2018 is lots different than 1978 or 1988, and has made its mark on familial/financial stability in the district. It also keeps new fresh blood from moving in.

I have no opinion on the coaching/leadership situation.

efarns
S

Post by efarns »

"A football school" is just a way of saying a thing. But you can stretch any term to absurdity if you try.

vincent_chase
Waterboy

Post by vincent_chase »

I came across this today. Read these stories. This is why people play football

http://www.burgfootball.com/power-of-football.html

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:13 am
That is a great answer.
Ironman92 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:30 pm Keeping it simple and maybe semantically some...a school is a football school if the vast majority of their top athletes play football and even though they may play other sports....football gets the main attention.

Oh no...if you ask around, there are many in this community believe that Vinton County is a "football" school. However, I disagree, but I do not know why I disagree? And is Vinton County a basketball school? Does success dictate the moniker of "basketball" school? For example, Unioto constantly competing on the regional level in Cross Country and Golf, but does that make it a "cross country" or "golf" school? Adena has made several trips to the state in volleyball, but that success does not translate to success in other girls' programs, but again, does that make Adena a "volleyball" school?

I suppose that every sport is different. Apples and Oranges. But the one common thread is that there is competent and stable leadership at the head of those sport programs.

I am still pondering.
Maybe a couple different levels a bit. By my own made guidelines the majority of the top athletes have to be involved...but if you ask me to name a cross country school I’m going to name Unioto 1st and then maybe Fairfield. Is Adena a volleyball school? To me they sure are....Eastern Pike was for a long time too. Heck my school Whiteoak is a basketball school and there isn’t really any argument against it, except that they don’t have a rich tradition of success but they get all the athletes available and people down that way live and breathe it.

Also needs to be a thing where it’s been that way for a long long time. Nelsonville is a football school. Jackson is a football school as well. Ironton....football school. Burg is the one school that really is known for more than 1 major sport.

Anyways....VC is clearly a basketball school. I’ve seen them come to Jackson and fill up the visitor bleachers and when we go your way....no where to sit. Why...because they are a basketball school and community. As for football I’ve been to the VC field several times...home side has openings to sit in many places, when they travel they don’t travel a big big crowd.

Schools and communities across SE Ohio make a huge deal out of high school sports and will sacrifice for them.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:54 pm
hawkeyepierce wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:13 am
That is a great answer.

I am still pondering.
Maybe a couple different levels a bit. By my own made guidelines the majority of the top athletes have to be involved...but if you ask me to name a cross country school I’m going to name Unioto 1st and then maybe Fairfield. Is Adena a volleyball school? To me they sure are....Eastern Pike was for a long time too. Heck my school Whiteoak is a basketball school and there isn’t really any argument against it, except that they don’t have a rich tradition of success but they get all the athletes available and people down that way live and breathe it.

Also needs to be a thing where it’s been that way for a long long time. Nelsonville is a football school. Jackson is a football school as well. Ironton....football school. Burg is the one school that really is known for more than 1 major sport.

Anyways....VC is clearly a basketball school. I’ve seen them come to Jackson and fill up the visitor bleachers and when we go your way....no where to sit. Why...because they are a basketball school and community. As for football I’ve been to the VC field several times...home side has openings to sit in many places, when they travel they don’t travel a big big crowd.

Schools and communities across SE Ohio make a huge deal out of high school sports and will sacrifice for them.
We have one of the top wrestling programs in the state so we are good at that as well lol
Track is pretty darn good as well.
Nelsonville-York competes very well at the state level in both of those sports.
Sure NY is a "Football school" but we also compete well in other areas so Burg isn't the only school that's known for multiple sports.

Yes, I realize wrestling and Track and Field aren't that popular.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!

Return to “Football”