Does anyone really believe that...

PowerLifitingNut
Riding the Bench

Re: Does anyone really believe that...

Post by PowerLifitingNut »

If a poster from your school gets on here and argues with others that "we're not a football school," you're probably a football school. :mrgreen:

If posters from your school get on here and argue, "but our athletes in other sports bust their butts..." trying to prove your not a football school, you're probably a football school.

If a poster from your school does both of the above, you are definitely a football school. So yes, Nelsonville-YORK is a football school. :mrgreen:

rxburgfan
All State

Post by rxburgfan »

Most refer to themselves at HS level as a Football school. Football drives the budgets for all the other programs. College it can be different.

indianabuck
All State

Post by indianabuck »

I grew up in Indiana when basketball rules. When I was in HS we lost 10 games, and 5 of them were my senior year. After I left, they went on to lose a grand total of 15 games the rest of the decade of the 90s. Most years our football team won more games than the basketball team.
Coaching stability is huge. From 1975 until 2011 we had 2 head coaches. One is in the hall of fame, the other will 've when he retires. He is still coaching and winning at another school. He could end up having the 2nd most wins in Indiana history.
The kids know what to expect year in year out. When change is constant, no one knows what to expect. That is when programs turn south.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

Well yeah, if there can be schools who basketball schools why can't there be schools who are football schools, most of them we repeatedly see playing deep in the post season.

Zunardo
Freshman Team

Post by Zunardo »

hawkeyepierce wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:08 pm Put away all of these details that make football the spectacle it is and what are we left with?
There are annual county fairs and the Ohio State Fair - take away all of the details that make the spectacles that they are , and what are you left with? A dog-and-pony show? No, no - it's the sum total of all those things - and that's a good thing.

I think deep down many of us want to experience Friday night football and and still imagine we are in the world of the Boys Life Book sports stories series. The drive to an away game on winding roads with cornstalks on each side for miles, a marching band playing their pre-game, the smell of popcorn, teams warming up on the field, stadium lights backed by an azure sky just after sunset ...... it doesn't last long, so savor it while you can.

bburner
Freshman Team

Post by bburner »

I call BS! "We are a football school" sounds like a cop out for not putting in the time and effort to build your other programs.
No such thing!

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Believe me, I love the fanfare, the lights, the smells, the noise, the sense of community, but there is this notion, held by some, that football is all to be all. Is that true anymore? For example at my school, we have not been overly successful in recent years. We have ran through coaches as fast as I change underwear, there are more things for kids to do, basketball has become a 24/7/365 sport now, with social media the sense of communal pride has dissipated, and football itself, especially at the pro-level has become its own worse enemy. I guess what I am asking, are we, all of us, truly invested in football Friday nights anymore?

coyote
Riding the Bench

Post by coyote »

Eastern Meigs is a baseball school

Return to “Football”