Marietta/Warren apply for TVC membership

Jim Ryan
JV Team

Re: Marietta/Warren apply for TVC membership

Post by Jim Ryan »

Mister Bee wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:00 pm
Pat wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:16 am
Rvfan wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 9:45 pm Both Warren and Marietta should join a league closer to them, or form a new one up there.
I'm sure parents from VC, Wellston and RV, (the farthest 3 away) don't want to drive to these schools, especially on a school night, during wrestling and basketball season. Let alone any other time of the year! But, we aren't asked, so it doesn't really matter what any of us think.
It's funny, no parents from Waterford, Belpre or Miller were asked about driving to SG on a week night. Nor parents from NY about going all the way to RV. But you people were let in and now how ironic you complain about a possible drive to another school. :oops: SMDH
Your right, at no time were the parents at Belpre asked about the drive to Miller years ago or the drive to SG a few short years back. Yes, coaches and admins etc were concerned but parents were never asked.

Somebody, somewhere has to have the "bad drive" its just a given. Thats where the ADs come into scene. You try and schedule those long drives on a Friday night in the winter and spring sports or on a night before a day that school isn't scheduled, if possible in any season.

VC never once complained to the TVC about the drive to Warren since the inception of the TVC. It has become a crutch to vote no every since Warren left. Do you know the real reason they left the TVC? Because NY and Belpre were making the football playoffs back in the 1980's, even when only the top 2 teams in the region got in, and Warren wasn't. So they left for the bigger school SEOAL for football points. Football drives the bus, the other sports are just along for the ride.

I hate the drive to Miller but when they came in it was a close conference game for Trimble and NY so Belpre went along with it. Also an easy win. There was no beef about Waterford coming into the TVC and possible travel concerns. The ADs dealt with it. I also hate the drive to SG. Like I said, somebody has that long trip that they dread. Deal with it in creative ways.

The TVC isn't or never has been a conference setup for junior high play. It is a varsity only conference and should always be just that. There are plenty of closer schools with junior high teams that any TVC member should have no problem filling out a junior high schedule.

Last talking point, turn the TVC matters back over to the ADs with input from their coaches and HS principle. The Superintendents and BOE memebrs need to focus on educational matters not the sports side of it.
I couldn't disagree more on the underlined statements. I know AD's that have full time jobs and Walmart, McDonalds etc... And you want them making the decisions for the school? The TVC was set up so that the BOC was the principals. It all went sideways starting in the mid 2000's when the AD's somehow took that over. The principals should be running the conference, with oversight by the superintendents on big issues like admitting new members.

Mister Bee
Varsity

Post by Mister Bee »

The Superintendents have totally over stepped their bounds. That is why this issue is such a mess. The ADs have done a fine job in building the TVC up and they should be allowed to continue to do so with input from the HS principle and their coaches. Supers having input is micro managing. A BOE can vote on conference membership for their school only. Thats it. Nothing else.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Jim Ryan wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:08 pm
Mister Bee wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:00 pm
Pat wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 9:16 am

It's funny, no parents from Waterford, Belpre or Miller were asked about driving to SG on a week night. Nor parents from NY about going all the way to RV. But you people were let in and now how ironic you complain about a possible drive to another school. :oops: SMDH
Your right, at no time were the parents at Belpre asked about the drive to Miller years ago or the drive to SG a few short years back. Yes, coaches and admins etc were concerned but parents were never asked.

Somebody, somewhere has to have the "bad drive" its just a given. Thats where the ADs come into scene. You try and schedule those long drives on a Friday night in the winter and spring sports or on a night before a day that school isn't scheduled, if possible in any season.

VC never once complained to the TVC about the drive to Warren since the inception of the TVC. It has become a crutch to vote no every since Warren left. Do you know the real reason they left the TVC? Because NY and Belpre were making the football playoffs back in the 1980's, even when only the top 2 teams in the region got in, and Warren wasn't. So they left for the bigger school SEOAL for football points. Football drives the bus, the other sports are just along for the ride.

I hate the drive to Miller but when they came in it was a close conference game for Trimble and NY so Belpre went along with it. Also an easy win. There was no beef about Waterford coming into the TVC and possible travel concerns. The ADs dealt with it. I also hate the drive to SG. Like I said, somebody has that long trip that they dread. Deal with it in creative ways.

The TVC isn't or never has been a conference setup for junior high play. It is a varsity only conference and should always be just that. There are plenty of closer schools with junior high teams that any TVC member should have no problem filling out a junior high schedule.

Last talking point, turn the TVC matters back over to the ADs with input from their coaches and HS principle. The Superintendents and BOE memebrs need to focus on educational matters not the sports side of it.
I couldn't disagree more on the underlined statements. I know AD's that have full time jobs and Walmart, McDonalds etc... And you want them making the decisions for the school? The TVC was set up so that the BOC was the principals. It all went sideways starting in the mid 2000's when the AD's somehow took that over. The principals should be running the conference, with oversight by the superintendents on big issues like admitting new members.
A lot of the AD's in the TVC are basically teachers getting supplemental pay to be the AD. That doesn't mean they are not capable of making important decisions. Our AD happens to be amazing and bleeds Orange, white, and Brown. No one in our district would second guess a decision she would make on a vote like this, but at the end of the day I think the AD, Super, and Principal (s) should always be working together on these things. I think that a lot of the schools do get together and talk about these things then a decision is made off of the input.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Attack
Freshman Team

Post by Attack »

Mister Bee wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 2:31 pm The Superintendents have totally over stepped their bounds. That is why this issue is such a mess. The ADs have done a fine job in building the TVC up and they should be allowed to continue to do so with input from the HS principle and their coaches. Supers having input is micro managing. A BOE can vote on conference membership for their school only. Thats it. Nothing else.
The AD's were in control when the most recent expansion took place. So now you have schools complaining about Athens being too big, Wahama being from another state, and horrendous trips to and from South Gallia and River Valley. The final straw was when the AD's and principals voted again, after several times it being voted down, to go to three divisions. This was with no knowledge or input from the superintendents. So the superintendents had had enough, and directed the principals to take back control of the league with superintendent oversight. The supers are in charge of the school districts, which does include athletics. So why would they just turn it over to anyone else to do whatever they want to do? At this point each issue to be voted on is, or at least is supposed to be, discussed within each individual district among the coaches, AD, principal, and superintendent. Then those issues/items are voted on at the meetings by the Board of Control, which is comprised of the principals. In my opinion this is how it should be.

Leave No Doubt
Riding the Bench

Post by Leave No Doubt »

I expect this to be revisited again today at the meeting. There will prolly be a low turn out so maybe we can get this rammed through. Then we'll finally get the three divisions that we've been fighting for for the last 7 years. :o

LEAVE NO DOUBT, TORNADOES!
Leave No Doubt
Riding the Bench

Re: 3 tier TVC

Post by Leave No Doubt »

EasternDspy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:02 pm
Leave No Doubt wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:03 pm Here is the Southern model for a three tier TVC:

OHIO
Meigs
Athens
Wellston
Alexander
Nelsonville
River Valley
Vinton County
Warren

MUSKINGUM
Trimble
Wahama
Fort Frye
Belpre
Waterford
Miller

HOCKING
Southern
South Gallia
Federal Hocking
Eastern
Hannan
Ohio Valley Christian

Of course we would be willing to propose this as long as all schools agree to drop any talk of crossover games and all talk of any sort of league assigner. Tom the Butcher and the administration here in Racine will never go for those ideas.
Muskingum seems interesting wonder if Waterford and Miller would complain Fort is a tad bigger?
Fort should be in with NY. But they're skeert to play them year in and year out. :lol:

LEAVE NO DOUBT, TORNADOES!
Farmer Yoder
Freshman Team

Post by Farmer Yoder »

I am willing to help you guys get in

Geronimo
SEOP

Post by Geronimo »

They need more than help that won't fly.

Fletchlives
JV Team

Post by Fletchlives »

Farmer Yoder wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:24 am I am willing to help you guys get in
You that Bored you have to bring up. 6 year old thread?!

Harvey Wells
Waterboy

Post by Harvey Wells »

I thought old shorts said this was shot down because Matt combs is the president of Vinton and he said no?

Return to “Football”