2018 Ironton Fighting Tigers The Pendleton Era

Fan Friday
Freshman Team

Re: 2018 Ironton Fighting Tigers The Pendleton Era

Post by Fan Friday »

Half Slice wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:06 am Kutty,

You have made your point. Ironton is shrinking and aging. These factors are reality and make the Tiger job less attractive than it once was and the program performing at a lower level than past glory days.

We get that.

Point acknowledged. Move on Bro!

I hope you don’t fault a town and families for cheering for these kids on Friday. Two primary ways to combat the realities of economic woe you have discussed ad nauseas is through investing in our youth and improving infrastructure. Part of that investment in youth is to support them and the school.

Coach Pendleton is working hard and doing and saying the right things. Most importantly he is giving a community hit hard by tough economic times and the opioid crisis something to rally around.

How can any of this this be wrong?
Excellent post! Community and fans need to get behind these boys and support them. This is high school football. Nobody wants to win more than those boys on the field. Most importantly they are making great memories. Go Tigers!

ravensfan09
JV Team

Post by ravensfan09 »

Let's all rally behind Trevon and support our boys! The orange and black need out support! There is absolutely nothing like running out on Bob Lutz Field on football Friday night!!! Chills..... GO TIGERS!!!

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

Half Slice wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:34 pm Kutty

Admittedly there are no talents like Ken Fritz, Dennis Bacon, or Delandual Conwell walking the halls of Ironton currently.

Tigers are coming off a tough injury plagued campaign. We have a new staff full of enthusiasm that have the kids working hard and building excitement in the community.

My question for you is what would constitute a successful season for this team? I’m sure most people would be interested to see what you see as a reasonable measuring stick for success.

I personally want to see the following:
1. Discipline
2. Consistent effort and fundamentals
3. An identifiable offensive philosophy.
4. Grow as a team and reestablish a culture of pride.
5. Get alumni involved

These things don’t guarantee wins but are vital to get where the program wants to go. There is enough talent in place barring injury to compete with most everyone on the schedule. Ashland and Wheelersburg are tall tasks for anyone in the area.

Work hard Tigers and good things will happen.
THAT IS A WONDERFUL POST. AND I'M LOOKING FOR THE VERY SAME THING MYSELF. WELL PLAYED.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Orange and Brown wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:14 pm
KUTTY800 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:05 pm
wobycat wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:44 pm

I believe Ironton's difficulty will be fatigue. Most all of the names mentioned above will have to play both ways. I know salyers, duncan, and fosson, played a lot of reps last year, and will have to continue this year as well. They have talent in places but the depth is a little short. I can see a 7-3 season, they can be noted as one of the best team in the ovc. Gallia may present a problem.
Yup. Depth I would say will continue to be an issue. The school enrollment is not going to increase anytime soon. Matter of fact it will decrease more.
Trimble is D7 and gets close to 50 kids to play football. Nelsonville-York is D6 and has over 50....
Ironton can do the same.
DING, DING, DING WE HAVE A WINNER, GIVE THAT POSTER A CEE-GAR.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

TOUGH wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:04 pm
KUTTY800 wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:02 pm
Half Slice wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:34 pm Kutty

Admittedly there are no talents like Ken Fritz, Dennis Bacon, or Delandual Conwell walking the halls of Ironton currently.

Tigers are coming off a tough injury plagued campaign. We have a new staff full of enthusiasm that has the kids working hard and building excitement in the community.

My question for you is what would constitute a successful season for this team? I’m sure most people would be interested to see what you see as a reasonable measuring stick for success.

I personally want to see the following:
1. Discipline
2. Consistent effort and fundamentals
3. An identifiable offensive philosophy.
4. Grow as a team and reestablish a culture of pride.
5. Get alumni involved

These things don’t guarantee wins but are vital to get where the program wants to go. There is enough talent in place barring injury to compete with most everyone on the schedule. Ashland and Wheelersburg are tall tasks for anyone in the area.

Work hard Tigers and good things will happen.
I don't dispute any of those expectations on the list - all positives and for all intents and purposes - necessity. Also one of the more realistic lists of expectations I have read thus far.
That said however, my question I guess is directed more at the assumption that the new staff in place will somehow transform a small team from a small and continually decreasing school and community - into some sort of quasi throwback powerhouse when the truth of the matter is any success will likely be founded more in the building stage - per your own assesment, as opposed to the 180 degree transformation that - in my opinion - too many fans are already asserting. I would even go as far as to insert that as Irontons high schools enrollment continues to decrease - success in sports will likely come in significantly decreased intervals and "smaller" forms. There are just certain variables that cannot be outcoached and the reason Ironton does not have a Fritz or a Conwell roaming their halls anymore is the same reason why their enrollment continues to decrease. The town and the school are just NOT the same. Hopefully the fan base can learn to embrace change and bring a realistic set of expectations as well.

Secondly - I understand the coaching staff has aroused anticipation - thats what change is supposed to do - but I do question with basically average talent and limited depth and no real speed or size on the roster - what actual EVIDENCE exists that support the assertion that this staff will make any significant improvement from last season?

Also wonder how significant an OVC win really is in the grand scheme of things? Its arguably the softest and one of the least talented conferences in the state. Does a win over a Coal Grove or a Gallia really mean anything at all?

I mean - if we are basically resigning to the fact that Ironton cannot match up with the elites on their schedule ( burg/ashland) and if we are realistic and acknowledge a big reason why they cannot is because their talent pool had diminished as their enrollment continues to also diminish - what from an X's and O's standpoint is this already highly celebrated coaching staff going to do that overcomes that decline? From an evidentiary standpoint I dont see nor have I read anything tangible.

Kutty,

I understand some of your arguments and how your are trying to wrap your head around the program doing a complete 180 while only changing the coaching staff.

I will start this by saying the best players Ironton had last year we’re younger kids who we have talked about are all back. Our best athletes are all coming back a year older and stronger while many of the teams we play lost quite a bit to graduation including Wheelersburg and Ashland. The guys we lost are much easier to replace in my opinion.

Talking to a few people around the program and a couple players and each have said the same thing. Coach Pendleton’s program is the toughest training regimen they have ever seen (including Coach lutz). Hearing it’s as close to college ball you can get at the high school level. From a physical standpoint Ironton will be a lot different. The weight room and conditioning program has been non existent last few years. Also hearing the discipline has completely changed. Yes sir, no sir.. workman’s like approach.

There’s also no doubt the population of Ironton has shrunk over the years but it’s STILL double the size as Wheelersburg as far as population. Ironton ya enrollment started to fall drastically around 10-15 years ago when Lutz was at the end of a great career and the Football program started to slide. Let’s face it, sports is what drives enrollment in Southern Ohio. If you put a good product on the field your enrollment will increase. There are no Harvard’s in Southern Ohio where all the smart kids move too. If you have strong athletics chances are your academics will get stronger because of the current culture of our area. Schools like Maria Stein and Coldwater are smaller enrollments than us and they have great programs. These schools aren’t exactly in thriving metropolitan areas. They are small farming communities very similar to what we have. They just squeeze every ounce out of their athletes and their programs. If we start to change the culture within our program you will see us make a strong return to prominence. The reason is we still have a tradition that is unmatched by any school in Southeastern Ohio. I know that was in the past but if it’s as good as I’m hearing as far as the leadership and direction than it won’ be long and we will make a return. People love to talk about the past and all they hear about is the tradition here. We hired possibly the youngest coach in the state that has done what most of these kids dream about. From all the reports he and the staff do a fanstastic job relating to the kids while pushing them to their limit everyday. They already respect him and he’s yet to even coach a down of football here.
THAT'S ANOTHER WONDERFUL POST.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Half Slice wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:06 am Kutty,

You have made your point. Ironton is shrinking and aging. These factors are reality and make the Tiger job less attractive than it once was and the program performing at a lower level than past glory days.

We get that.

Point acknowledged. Move on Bro!

I hope you don’t fault a town and families for cheering for these kids on Friday. Two primary ways to combat the realities of economic woe you have discussed ad nauseas is through investing in our youth and improving infrastructure. Part of that investment in youth is to support them and the school.

Coach Pendleton is working hard and doing and saying the right things. Most importantly he is giving a community hit hard by tough economic times and the opioid crisis something to rally around.

How can any of this this be wrong?
AMEN BROTHER/SISTER.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

ravensfan09 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:41 am Let's all rally behind Trevon and support our boys! The orange and black need out support! There is absolutely nothing like running out on Bob Lutz Field on football Friday night!!! Chills..... GO TIGERS!!!
SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE FAN.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I DON'T SEE KUTTY BEIN AROUND HERE TOO MUCH LONGER SPEWING VENOM. THAT KIND OF STUFF GETS OLD REAL QUICK. TO ANY AND EVERYBODY. I'LL PERSONALLY TRY TO NOT RESPOND TO IT ANYMORE. THIS IS LIKELY SOMEBODY LIVIN IN HIS GRANNY'S BASEMENT DRINKING A CASE OF PEPSI A DAY, SURROUNDED BY NUMEROUS COMPUTERS N TV'S AND MAKIN GRANNY BRING IT DOWN TO HIM A CAN AT A TIME. NOTHING GOOD COMES FROM SOMEONE LIKE THIS. SURELY PEOPLE CAN SEE THROUGH THE CURTAINS AND SEE THIS IS SOMEONE TRYING TO DO NOTHING BUT ARGUE AND DEMEAN A TOWN AND A PROGRAM.

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

I thought I must have gotten on the history forum.

Gone Country
Waterboy

Post by Gone Country »

So since ol kutty is the master of eliminating speculation and deals with the facts as he sees them, or wants to see them;
How bout steppin out from behind the curtain and tell the folks how many handles are active in your name right now.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Gone Country wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:28 pm So since ol kutty is the master of eliminating speculation and deals with the facts as he sees them, or wants to see them;
How bout steppin out from behind the curtain and tell the folks how many handles are active in your name right now.
It seems like someone else was spewing the same "facts" not to long before he created this username.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Kutty earned a permanent vacation for violating rules.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Awesome

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Thank you

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Gone Country wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:28 pm So since ol kutty is the master of eliminating speculation and deals with the facts as he sees them, or wants to see them;
if you're asking me I been the same ole bait since jan. of 2005. I've never had another user name. my dad was pappy bait for a short time on here, but that's been many moons ago.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Orange and Brown wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:04 pm Kutty earned a permanent vacation for violating rules.
seemed like an intelligent poster, in ways I hate to see them gone. but I cain't say I didn't see this coming. let's all just get on here n have fun. and the reason I mentioned the salyers kid not leaving was because I ran into some family out and we chatted. seems if you have on a seops tee shirt it'll strike up a conversation. actually I don't even think I mentioned him by name. the reason I mentioned him was not to single him out, but I and everybody else kept hearing he went to raceland. and found out that was not the case, and just wanted people to know.

countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

wow......what a subject matter I had to read up on to see the latest of the thread.........went from all positivity from the new hire era to some things that seemed totally off-topic......so I will only speak of the things that were mentioned related to the topic at hand.......sounds like things have really picked up in the program (which is the start you need) from all that's involved.......next month will be interesting to see....summer workouts, 7-7's, camps continue .....but I think there is a youth football camp as well in late July....im sure this seems so not related to Friday nights... but go there and see how the coaches and varsity football players are acting? running around HAVING FUN , excited, enthusiasm, coaches involved, setting an intensity with the FUTURE of the program,,,,,,,,there you will see that only not has this coach turned the attitude around already immediately but he's also there to start developing boys to young men from the ages of 7-18........and that's the true measuring stick.....yes, all the W-L's matter and reflect of success...but creating productive citizens of society through doing what it takes to play the game of football are the things this young people will carry for life

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
TOUGH
Freshman Team

Post by TOUGH »

countywide35 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:02 pm wow......what a subject matter I had to read up on to see the latest of the thread.........went from all positivity from the new hire era to some things that seemed totally off-topic......so I will only speak of the things that were mentioned related to the topic at hand.......sounds like things have really picked up in the program (which is the start you need) from all that's involved.......next month will be interesting to see....summer workouts, 7-7's, camps continue .....but I think there is a youth football camp as well in late July....im sure this seems so not related to Friday nights... but go there and see how the coaches and varsity football players are acting? running around HAVING FUN , excited, enthusiasm, coaches involved, setting an intensity with the FUTURE of the program,,,,,,,,there you will see that only not has this coach turned the attitude around already immediately but he's also there to start developing boys to young men from the ages of 7-18........and that's the true measuring stick.....yes, all the W-L's matter and reflect of success...but creating productive citizens of society through doing what it takes to play the game of football are the things this young people will carry for life

The best post I’ve read on here. that’s what it’s all about. A couple of players told me the other day that Coach is making it a brotherhood and it’s becoming more than playing football. Also said this is a college like program where everyone is so engaged and the energy level is sky high.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

I agree, wonderful post county.

Rosco
Riding the Bench

Post by Rosco »

Are numbers still strong to work outs?

Return to “Football”