2018 Ironton Fighting Tigers The Pendleton Era

wobycat
SEOPS

Re: Pendleton - New Ironton Head Football Coach

Post by wobycat »

TCat wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 6:41 am Ironton is a program rich in tradition that has been down. Ironton fans have to realize things will never be the same as they were, and setting lofty expections is just setting your coach up for failure. Ironton can still field good teams, but as been said the declining population has the enrollment at a level where the talent will never be what it was 10, 20, 30 years ago. Raceland, Rock Hill, Coal Grove, and Wheelersburg's improvements will also hinder because players will no longer transfer there like before. If fans do not accept that then Pendelton's tenure will be considered a failure.
Anytime I read something like “Wheelersburgs improvements”, I get a kick out of it. Burg has had like one losing season since like the 1970s. Ironton and burg for a long time were not comparable in school size. But ya success has nothing to do with ironton decline.

4th and iches
Freshman Team

Post by 4th and iches »

BubbleGumTiger wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:03 pm
4th and iches wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:49 am I do have one question .. if Pendleton is the next greatest thing why didn’t west try and keep him ?
West has a good coach, what in the world would they do with 2 outstanding coaches..........but you seem to have all the answers when it comes to Ironton football so maybe you can answer your own dumba$$ question........
Your tight I don, it’s becaize they didn’t need him and you idiots think he’s the next Bob Lutz ,

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

4th and iches wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 9:23 am
BubbleGumTiger wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:03 pm
4th and iches wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:49 am I do have one question .. if Pendleton is the next greatest thing why didn’t west try and keep him ?
West has a good coach, what in the world would they do with 2 outstanding coaches..........but you seem to have all the answers when it comes to Ironton football so maybe you can answer your own dumba$$ question........
Your tight I don, it’s becaize they didn’t need him and you idiots think he’s the next Bob Lutz ,
Wrong, us idiots know there will never be another Bob Lutz.......I wont be back as I realize I am talking to the mentally challenged........ :lol: :lol:

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

you getting that too I see bubble gum. no there will never be another like him. for any team.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
eagle one
Freshman Team

Post by eagle one »

BigCarlito72 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 3:02 pm
wobycat wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:13 am When was Bob Lutz Hired?
What was his first year's record?
What was the population of Ironton when he was hired?
How long was it before he went to state championship game?

Other than age, right now that's all that the two have in common. He may turn out to be a great hire but some think they have returned to their glory days.
Lutz won a total of 2 state titles in 30 plus years. Two.

Only two.
that's 2 more than most coaches in this state

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

wobycat wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 8:43 am
TCat wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 6:41 am Ironton is a program rich in tradition that has been down. Ironton fans have to realize things will never be the same as they were, and setting lofty expections is just setting your coach up for failure. Ironton can still field good teams, but as been said the declining population has the enrollment at a level where the talent will never be what it was 10, 20, 30 years ago. Raceland, Rock Hill, Coal Grove, and Wheelersburg's improvements will also hinder because players will no longer transfer there like before. If fans do not accept that then Pendelton's tenure will be considered a failure.
Anytime I read something like “Wheelersburgs improvements”, I get a kick out of it. Burg has had like one losing season since like the 1970s. Ironton and burg for a long time were not comparable in school size. But ya success has nothing to do with ironton decline.
Burg went 5-6 in 2000 and their last losing season before that was 1964. They have only had 5 losing seasons since 1953. What is that, like 64 seasons? That’s pretty solid no matter who you are.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

I don't see many Tiger fans on here longing for a return to the "glory days." I see more people on here saying it will never happen. So what. Ironton fans want to see a return to a competative spirit. Hard work. Discipline. Not getting bounced around like a sock pocket by our rivals. Ironton hasn't scored a TD against the Tomcats in the last three games while getting their bottoms spanked. A return to sound, hard nosed fundamental football is not a lot to ask for. In fact, it should be automatic. A return to the "glory years" is not necessary to turn this program around. It is about a return to a winning attitude and working hard for those wins. Never accept defeat. Those that do, need not apply.

Once a Tiger, always a Tiger. :D
BigCarlito72
JV Team

Post by BigCarlito72 »

eagle one wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 12:00 pm
wobycat wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:13 am When was Bob Lutz Hired?
What was his first year's record?
What was the population of Ironton when he was hired?
How long was it before he went to state championship game?

Other than age, right now that's all that the two have in common. He may turn out to be a great hire but some think they have returned to their glory days.

Only two.
False. Only two ships. That's no legend. That's the ghost of overinflated perception.

As Irontons population declined, school enrollment declined and Lutz deep playoff runs came few and far between. Ironton and Lutz got their ass handed to them in the SEOAL. Left with their tail tucked. Wheelersburg began beating up on Ironton. Population and enrollment also impacts budget as the town gets older and older without being able to find a healthy commute of young families that will continue to balance out the community - the population which is and has remained on a steady 2% decline continues to age - and enrollment and people in the community with young people involved in the program continues dissipating. A few more years pass - the old man is gone, one of the two or three namesakes to the old mans program/monarchy gets the easy nod because - small town nepotism - suddenly they are also getting beaten by Russell and Raceland. In a blink they are in the OVC with an overall school enrollment smaller than that of a South Point. The Wheelersburgs of the world are now making Ironton look like an OVC doormat - week one tune - up - Ironton faithfull finally cave after a year or two of being a local push over and now the new hire.

The truth is Vass or Pendleton or Bob Lutz are likely not as great or awful as any one person describes them to be - BUT the certainty is - regardless who is coaching, Irontons population is STILL declining AND aging. Ironton Highs enrollment is STILL declining and the overall budget per said decline continues to decline also.

It's not about what you speculate. It's not about how you feel. It's not about what you predict. The achilles heel is bigger than football. The reality is when Ironton stopped growing, it began to die. The passing will not come sudden. The disease is terminal. The expiration slow - yet remains steady. You will settle in your reality and find comfort in success at the smaller level you witness yourself currently.

And then, you will dip again. Just as a terminally ill patient or a flower slowly withers and becomes frail the decline almost unnoticeable to the naked eye due to the pace yet undeniable because of the consistency. Make light of reality all that you wish. Scoff at it. Curse and vilify me. Yet make NO MISTAKE.

Ironton High School Fighting Tiger football is approaching an end.

BTWN_THE_LINE
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

79Tiger wrote: Sat May 05, 2018 3:57 pm I don't see many Tiger fans on here longing for a return to the "glory days." I see more people on here saying it will never happen. So what. Ironton fans want to see a return to a competative spirit. Hard work. Discipline. Not getting bounced around like a sock pocket by our rivals. Ironton hasn't scored a TD against the Tomcats in the last three games while getting their bottoms spanked. A return to sound, hard nosed fundamental football is not a lot to ask for. In fact, it should be automatic. A return to the "glory years" is not necessary to turn this program around. It is about a return to a winning attitude and working hard for those wins. Never accept defeat. Those that do, need not apply.
wow what a post and a great assessment.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

BigCarlito72 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:46 am

Only two.
False. Only two ships. That's no legend. That's the ghost of overinflated perception.

As Irontons population declined, school enrollment declined and Lutz deep playoff runs came few and far between. Ironton and Lutz got their ass handed to them in the SEOAL. Left with their tail tucked. Wheelersburg began beating up on Ironton. Population and enrollment also impacts budget as the town gets older and older without being able to find a healthy commute of young families that will continue to balance out the community - the population which is and has remained on a steady 2% decline continues to age - and enrollment and people in the community with young people involved in the program continues dissipating. A few more years pass - the old man is gone, one of the two or three namesakes to the old mans program/monarchy gets the easy nod because - small town nepotism - suddenly they are also getting beaten by Russell and Raceland. In a blink they are in the OVC with an overall school enrollment smaller than that of a South Point. The Wheelersburgs of the world are now making Ironton look like an OVC doormat - week one tune - up - Ironton faithfull finally cave after a year or two of being a local push over and now the new hire.

The truth is Vass or Pendleton or Bob Lutz are likely not as great or awful as any one person describes them to be - BUT the certainty is - regardless who is coaching, Irontons population is STILL declining AND aging. Ironton Highs enrollment is STILL declining and the overall budget per said decline continues to decline also.

It's not about what you speculate. It's not about how you feel. It's not about what you predict. The achilles heel is bigger than football. The reality is when Ironton stopped growing, it began to die. The passing will not come sudden. The disease is terminal. The expiration slow - yet remains steady. You will settle in your reality and find comfort in success at the smaller level you witness yourself currently.

And then, you will dip again. Just as a terminally ill patient or a flower slowly withers and becomes frail the decline almost unnoticeable to the naked eye due to the pace yet undeniable because of the consistency. Make light of reality all that you wish. Scoff at it. Curse and vilify me. Yet make NO MISTAKE.

YOU ARE AS LOST AS LAST YEAR'S EASTER EGGS. AND CLASS IS NOT IN YOUR TACKLE BOX.

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

BigCarlito72 wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 12:46 am

Only two.

Ironton fans pack it in. Big Carl has spoken and said Tiger football is at an end. Doesn't matter what you think or feel. It is all economics. Apparently State Champonships don't mean anything either. Big Carl must have missed out on getting his participation trophy or ribbon. Never mind that Ironton had 3 State Final appearances in the '90's long after the "glory years" and the downfall of Ironton was over a decade old. I could go on but it matters not. Big Carl has spoken

4th and iches
Freshman Team

Post by 4th and iches »

How many of the kids who left have returned like somoenssid they were going to ? How many west kids have shown up like he also said ?? That would be none and none , there is a new player at Rock Hill from west but not Ironton

Game day
All State

Post by Game day »

You are right none of them have showed up. By the way I am back been in the hospital for a few weeks.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

In general, as an outsider that is looking 'in' on this, I would agree. However, I think the first sentence of your post belies a greater issue: standard-setting, expectations and what measures to being successful in Ironton. Playoffs in 2012, missed in 2013 by .7 of the averaged out points despite going 3-7 (had they won just one more game that year, they go to playoffs), playoffs in 2014, playoffs in 2015, playoffs in 2016, and a miss in 2017. Heck, in 2013 had they not scheduled "up" and played as tough a schedule as they did (Bishop Hartley and St. Charles - ouch), they'd have made it. At 99% of schools in Ohio, that track record is enough to keep you from getting the can. I realize and understand that there were likely some underlying stresses, inadequacies and whatnot that better paint the picture as to why Vass had to go - but, no program in Ohio (let alone any sports program, amateur or professional) is immune to periods of waxing and waning. And while I understand how Vass may have fallen short of mark in terms of Ironton's fans and their expectations, and while I recognize that said shortcomings (as measured in W's and L's) are perceived as a threat to the legacy of Ironton football, the fact of the matter is that you can't have a bar that is set too high - nor can you have a bar that is set regardless of the external circumstances that have likely contributed to the decline of Ironton football from a sustainable competitiveness standpoint. Well, I guess you actually can have such a high bar - but the recent trends of Ironton and general high school football, especially in a "then vs now" comparison,l are not cetaris paribus (all things being equal.) Nothing against the new coach, but he's walking into the same darn spot that your previous coach unwillingly was crafted into. Nothing changes overnight, and its unlikely that the conditions and health of the community (town, school district, football participation and its translation into success at the high school varsity level - all of which greatly contributed to success and storied tradition of Ironton football, in the first place) are ever going to return to where they once were in the Lutz era - at least not anytime soon. Seriously, ask yourself if Lutz were still coaching if he'd have done any better a job than what the previous coach did given the winds of change that have blown through Ironton in the past 10 years.

Nevertheless, this topic and the overarching discussion on this is already a bleak sign for the new coach: everyone has an opinion, everyone is convicted in their darn opinion, and everyone is going to express their opinion ad nauseaum (regardless if its actually a good one/correct one.) In fact, it wouldn't be surprising if some people's opinions are going to shift and change to fit their own narrative: I was right "all along". Kind of like a "Topix culture" has set the tone for not just the discussion of expectations between the previous coach and the new one, but also set the tone for the overall attitude and receptiveness on this issue which transcends SEOPs posting. I'd bet $100 that, if instant success isn't coming for the Tigers this year (let alone in the first few games), several of the people on here praising this hire (and the same ones that wanted the previous coach gone, too) are going to walk back on said praise, do a complete 180, and say "it's because we hired a young guy that wasn't experienced enough for Ironton. Nice one, BOE." Monday morning quarterbacking appears to have surpassed pride and support as the chief export from the City of Ironton, based on the last couple years of said bemoaning (not to mention, this thread and pretty much every Ironton thread.) I hope nothing for the best for the community of Ironton, as I understand how hungry that community is for a return to greatness; if they see success, its because the kids and coaches deserve it for their hard work, but if they see shortcomings and ultimate failure then the "fans" are going to deserve it. You can't run a coach out on a rail, make such a gamble of a hire, and expect the program to "re-surge" on your own conditions and timeline.
Last edited by formerfcfan on Mon May 07, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fan Friday
Freshman Team

Post by Fan Friday »

Game day wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:21 am You are right none of them have showed up. By the way I am back been in the hospital for a few weeks.
You do realize that it shows every time you are on line? You have been on here everyday and just not posted under Game Day! You posted on your 15 other user names you got. Geez! Got to be a little smarter than that Game Day/ Tough! And whoever you are!

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

Fan Friday wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:39 am
Game day wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 9:21 am You are right none of them have showed up. By the way I am back been in the hospital for a few weeks.
You do realize that it shows every time you are on line? You have been on here everyday and just not posted under Game Day! You posted on your 15 other user names you got. Geez! Got to be a little smarter than that Game Day/ Tough! And whoever you are!
🎤. It think you just dropped this. Lol

79Tiger
All Conference

Post by 79Tiger »

I can't understand why this thread hasn't been pulled. Big Carl has declared Ironton football at an end.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

it's just this simple. the program had gotten stale. no signs of improvement, and was just vapor locked. and the biggest failure as of late had been lack of discipline, even in the final years before coach vass.15 yard penalties were just killing the program. and that was never the case before. that simply had to change to try to re-boot the system. fan support was waining, players were telling coaches what they were gonna do with the current staff. and they were woefully unconditioned for 48 minutes of football. if you are a starter there, with their lack of depth, you're likely going to basically play the whole game. and kids 14-18 should be able to barring injuries. maybe the new leadership will spark more depth. it's no different than any other job anywhere, if you're not producing, you'll be replaced after given a fair shot to show change. and that was certainly the case. I read somewhere we had not scored a td on I think Ashland in 3 years. we've not been competitive with burg in forever. I don't see why there was such an issue in the 1st place about the consideration to make a change for the better. and the jury is still out on that as we've not even had a 1st snap yet. and I think tiger fans will be satisfied initially to just see discipline, conditioning, reworked playbooks, that reflect football these days. and the players not giving in when behind. part of that aspect could be conditioning. but you must have the desire to fight every plat till the whistle, till the clock hit's zeros. that to even being close to be a tiger team of the past. I don't expect ironton to come in week 1 and just dismantle wheelersburg. but in the same respect, their has to be a sense of pride enough to think you can, and make that effort. I bet you don't see any running clocks on ironton. the old days of ironton football are definitely behind us. frankly in those days they were more physical than their opponents. ----------------------------------- but in the same respect, if you are down 3 touchdowns, and you're still running at an 11 man front, then what are you really accomplishing, and every one here has seen it. we need to be more competitive, stronger at every position and make an effort to get back into games through play calling. somedays you're just gonna get wallered to death. you have to learn from games like that, and correct the mistakes made. but everybody has to be all in.

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

but to make no changes or try is going to change nothing. and the program had come to that point. you can't close down the weight room and expect your kids to compete strength with other athletes who are growing stronger every day using their weight rooms. just stuff like that. if no change is made you cannot expect improvements. I'm sorry coaches jobs are always in the spotlight win or lose. but that's just the nature of the best, coaches know that coming in, and still choose to do so. and now with social media, and call in shows and the like. it's silly to think it's not going to be discussed down to every detail. ------------------------------------------------------------- here's the main thing that needs to happen. the coach needs to tune out the media, and parent involvement,and run practices that way. and put the right people in the right places regardless of who mom n dad are. that will kill a successful program quicker than anything. and I learned coaching youth sports and as an insurance salesman. their will always be wolves in your flock. and you must keep them at bay. somebody is always wanting to undermine you. that's why you surround yourself with experience and other soldiers that have 1 common cause. which is winning, and building and sculpting young men's lives. many you will be the only father figure they have.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

formerfcfan wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 10:37 am
In general, as an outsider that is looking 'in' on this, I would agree. However, I think the first sentence of your post belies a greater issue: standard-setting, expectations and what measures to being successful in Ironton. Playoffs in 2012, missed in 2013 by .7 of the averaged out points despite going 3-7 (had they won just one more game that year, they go to playoffs), playoffs in 2014, playoffs in 2015, playoffs in 2016, and a miss in 2017. Heck, in 2013 had they not scheduled "up" and played as tough a schedule as they did (Bishop Hartley and St. Charles - ouch), they'd have made it. At 99% of schools in Ohio, that track record is enough to keep you from getting the can. I realize and understand that there were likely some underlying stresses, inadequacies and whatnot that better paint the picture as to why Vass had to go - but, no program in Ohio (let alone any sports program, amateur or professional) is immune to periods of waxing and waning. And while I understand how Vass may have fallen short of mark in terms of Ironton's fans and their expectations, and while I recognize that said shortcomings (as measured in W's and L's) are perceived as a threat to the legacy of Ironton football, the fact of the matter is that you can't have a bar that is set too high - nor can you have a bar that is set regardless of the external circumstances that have likely contributed to the decline of Ironton football from a sustainable competitiveness standpoint. Well, I guess you actually can have such a high bar - but the recent trends of Ironton and general high school football, especially in a "then vs now" comparison,l are not cetaris paribus (all things being equal.) Nothing against the new coach, but he's walking into the same darn spot that your previous coach unwillingly was crafted into. Nothing changes overnight, and its unlikely that the conditions and health of the community (town, school district, football participation and its translation into success at the high school varsity level - all of which greatly contributed to success and storied tradition of Ironton football, in the first place) are ever going to return to where they once were in the Lutz era - at least not anytime soon. Seriously, ask yourself if Lutz were still coaching if he'd have done any better a job than what the previous coach did given the winds of change that have blown through Ironton in the past 10 years.

Nevertheless, this topic and the overarching discussion on this is already a bleak sign for the new coach: everyone has an opinion, everyone is convicted in their darn opinion, and everyone is going to express their opinion ad nauseaum (regardless if its actually a good one/correct one.) In fact, it wouldn't be surprising if some people's opinions are going to shift and change to fit their own narrative: I was right "all along". Kind of like a "Topix culture" has set the tone for not just the discussion of expectations between the previous coach and the new one, but also set the tone for the overall attitude and receptiveness on this issue which transcends SEOPs posting. I'd bet $100 that, if instant success isn't coming for the Tigers this year (let alone in the first few games), several of the people on here praising this hire (and the same ones that wanted the previous coach gone, too) are going to walk back on said praise, do a complete 180, and say "it's because we hired a young guy that wasn't experienced enough for Ironton. Nice one, BOE." Monday morning quarterbacking appears to have surpassed pride and support as the chief export from the City of Ironton, based on the last couple years of said bemoaning (not to mention, this thread and pretty much every Ironton thread.) I hope nothing for the best for the community of Ironton, as I understand how hungry that community is for a return to greatness; if they see success, its because the kids and coaches deserve it for their hard work, but if they see shortcomings and ultimate failure then the "fans" are going to deserve it. You can't run a coach out on a rail, make such a gamble of a hire, and expect the program to "re-surge" on your own conditions and timeline.
I've went to a lot of practices over the years, if you have, you would see why things have declined over the last few years, especially in conditioning and discipline. I remember watching several practices a couple years ago, one player in particular wasn't cleared to practice yet. He was running around with head phones on dancing and carrying on (all the fans at practice was talking about it, wondering how he was getting by with that nonsense). When he was eligible and started playing they could only run a hand full of plays for him because he didn't know the playbook, if he would have been studying and watching what was actually going on he could have learned it easily. Coach got onto him a few times but he never stopped what he was doing and that was that. That's just one example although an extreme one it showed the other players just how much they could get away with. I liked Coach Vass as a person, he's a great guy, I lived across the street from him for a few years. I wish him nothing but the best with whatever he does, if it's Coaching again or if he decides to stay and keep teaching.

Return to “Football”