Could State HS Athletic Associations Make A Difference In 'Conference Turmoil'?

theusbc@yahoo.com
Waterboy

Post by theusbc@yahoo.com »

https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2018 ... ce-turmoil

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Could State HS Athletic Associations Make A Difference In 'Conference Turmoil'?

Post by Orange and Brown »

Don't really think their is thatuch "turmoil" to be honest.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
PopeSnoopDogThe1st
Varsity

Re: Could State HS Athletic Associations Make A Difference In 'Conference Turmoil'?

Post by PopeSnoopDogThe1st »

Orange and Brown wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:26 pm Don't really think their is thatuch "turmoil" to be honest.
I agree. And in my opinion, OHSAA has enough going on without being involved in that level of detail.

1987chieftains
SEOPS H

Post by 1987chieftains »

Yes, No need for them to get involved in family squabbles.

AT THE RESERVATION
NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I don't think the OHSAA needs to be involved as it really isn't a big problem for most schools. If the OHSAA ever did became involved, I think we would see conferences handpicked for each school based on geography and size. This is how it is done in Virginia. So for football, imagine if every region was broken up into three conferences based on geography. Nelsonville-York could find itself in a conference with Crooksville, Fort Frye, Federal Hocking and Belpre - fellow Region 23 schools - as an example. And then as school sizes change up or down, the conference members would change as well. Personally, I'm not a fan of that happening.

doubleplay643
S

Post by doubleplay643 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:26 pm Don't really think their is thatuch "turmoil" to be honest.
First of all I am not what I would call a huge proponent of OHSAA, but they do do some things well while other things I may not agree with. Likewise not a big fan of "big brother" trying to manage every little minute detail of member schools.

"Turmoil" may be over descriptive and the issues may not technically approach the "turmoil" level yet but there may be some room for improvement. How to manage that and whether OHSAA should be involved is open for debate.

You can argue that the former SCOL teams that left Clinton Massie and Wilmington to form a new league did so to be more competitive as it relates to football and basketball, and left those schools in short-term "turmoil". I may not agree with that but I bet individuals from CM and Wilmington would argue that, or at least argued it for a while.

You can argue that the 8-10 teams that were going to pull out of the GWOC and not include Trotwood-Madison (even though they were almost the smallest school) were doing so to eliminate them for obvious competitive reasons, and I am positive TM would argue after being in that league for years would be "tumultuous", at least for a while.

I bet that if you are Logan or Warren you would think not being in a league creates some "turmoil" for the kids and participation and even finding games to play for various sports, especially football. Even though there were/are legitimate options surrounding them that could be entertained, there won't be because of self-interest and competitive reasons.

You could argue that Athens voting for SEOAL expansion and then withdrawing from it citing that very reason, caused a slow boil and "turmoil" that resulted in the demise of the longest running non-city league in the State.

So "turmoil" or not, there are issues being caused to many leagues that are rooted almost exclusively to the need to be competitive (Seeded 1-8) in football and that fact isn't going to change very soon. I think there is a lot more shenanigans and turmoil than you do, but the team I support has been on the "turmoil" side of that discussion up until recently.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

doubleplay643 wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:55 am
First of all I am not what I would call a huge proponent of OHSAA, but they do do some things well while other things I may not agree with. Likewise not a big fan of "big brother" trying to manage every little minute detail of member schools.

"Turmoil" may be over descriptive and the issues may not technically approach the "turmoil" level yet but there may be some room for improvement. How to manage that and whether OHSAA should be involved is open for debate.

You can argue that the former SCOL teams that left Clinton Massie and Wilmington to form a new league did so to be more competitive as it relates to football and basketball, and left those schools in short-term "turmoil". I may not agree with that but I bet individuals from CM and Wilmington would argue that, or at least argued it for a while.

You can argue that the 8-10 teams that were going to pull out of the GWOC and not include Trotwood-Madison (even though they were almost the smallest school) were doing so to eliminate them for obvious competitive reasons, and I am positive TM would argue after being in that league for years would be "tumultuous", at least for a while.

I bet that if you are Logan or Warren you would think not being in a league creates some "turmoil" for the kids and participation and even finding games to play for various sports, especially football. Even though there were/are legitimate options surrounding them that could be entertained, there won't be because of self-interest and competitive reasons.

You could argue that Athens voting for SEOAL expansion and then withdrawing from it citing that very reason, caused a slow boil and "turmoil" that resulted in the demise of the longest running non-city league in the State.

So "turmoil" or not, there are issues being caused to many leagues that are rooted almost exclusively to the need to be competitive (Seeded 1-8) in football and that fact isn't going to change very soon. I think there is a lot more shenanigans and turmoil than you do, but the team I support has been on the "turmoil" side of that discussion up until recently.
Feel better after getting it all out? :lol:

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

Short of a conference competitive balance tribunal, the only other means for the OHSAA to control the so called conference turmoil crisis would be to go to disfrict (geographic) scheduling. Neither is going to happen in the near future because as other posters in the thread have pointed out there really is no conference crisis in Ohio in numerical terms.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels

Return to “Football”