2018 Minford Falcons Football Outlook

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

2018 Minford Falcons Football Outlook

Post by BondRoad Bandit »

I’ve heard some good stuff coming from the weight room about changes made to the lifting program.
So I figured might as well get one started since summer workouts are right around the corner. Soo here are my questions who will be the QB, any staff additions, who will be the playmakers this year or have a breakout year?

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: 2018 Minford

Post by greygoose »

Not for sure where they stand as far as returning QB or not. I know they'll have a sophomore come 2018 season with a real shot at playing QB. Nice left handed throwing QB. Watched him his 8th grade year, running 4/5 WRs very accurate and very good athlete, not sure how he done this past season. Believe he was also one of the reasons Minford didn't have a freshman basketball team to many moved up getting playing time early at JV/Varsity level. Not knowing anything about the upper classmen he'd probably be my pick to lead the way in 2018.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Vogelsong is a pretty good athlete. He doesn’t have much size but he looks strong. I’m not sure putting your best athlete in that position is the best option. I thought the jv qb was pretty good last year. I’d utilize him and get the other guy in space.

TheNest20
Waterboy

Post by TheNest20 »

Everybody writes McCormick out of the Qb race but he is the best out of all 3 in my opinion. I Agree with wobycat, have kelly and Voglesong at an H-back or receiver. Kelly just just doesn't seem to have the drive to be a leader and Voglesong is better suited cathing than throwing. Ruby might have ruined this team by basically exiling its best QB to JV.

falcon117
Riding the Bench

Post by falcon117 »

Jared McCray is coming back to help coach the o-line this year. He should be a good addition to a group that needs a lot of work. As far as QB goes, I believe it will be Kelley's to lose starting out. From what I've heard, Vogelsong is going to be playing a lot of slot receiver and half back because of his speed. Ruby needs to decide whether he wants a QB who can run in Kelley, or a stay in the pocket QB in McCormick.

NewEra
All Conference
Location: Hickory, Indiana - I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented.

Post by NewEra »

I look for the Falcons to take noticeable strides in the 3rd year of the new regime. These kids have been learning and developing in the scheme for 3 off-seasons now, and it should finally show-up more consistently on the field. McCray helping the offensive line is music to my ears, as with this scheme, you need time a good offensive line. I also hope Jared can influence more rotation and subs to keep fresh bodies on the front lines this season. As for the QB position, I say open the job and evaluate it through every 7 on 7, scrimmage, etc and make your choice right before Week 1, make it earned.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Kelly is a potential RB playing QB. Voglesong is shiftier runner and throws a much better ball IMO. I have never been a fan of Kelly's throwing motion and he threw a ton of picks last year.

The predicament is this: Move Kelly from the QB position and I feel that he might quit. Voglesong is willing to play anywhere to help win games. I am not going to chime in on McCormick because I really havent seen him play much in the last year as I didnt watch any JV games last fall.

If they continue running the spread, they definitely need their best player at the QB position. I think the best overall runner and passer is Voglesong, regardless of his size and age. I personally would like to see Kelly in the backfield and Voglesong at the QB position. There are several kids who will be sophomores this season who had a lot of success catching Vogelsong's passes in 8th grade. They are all bigger and faster, have good hands and run good routes. It shouldnt be a case of nobody to throw a good ball and nobody to catch it on this team when the lights come on this fall.

No reason not to have an offense that can move the ball consistently and score points this year. Its the 3rd year of this offense and all of these kids have ran it since Jr High.

JMO

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

I have to agree Volglesong-Lewis is the best athlete and better passer out of all 3 with McCormick being the 2nd and in the spread the QB is your best athlete at this level the sophomore gives this team the best chance to win. I don’t think Kelly completed a pass down field all year and I have also heard he’s not a good leader. Lewis has the best arm and accuracy and the best runner and leader even as a freshman, McCormick's downfall is his decision making under pressure which is fixable. Kelley will quit if he’s not QB he’s Dad has made that clear to the public and everyone in minford knows it. The other big question will be finding another downfield threat to replace Tilley they have Darius Jordan, also some younger guys that need to step up, Wiget and Risner will handle the running back duties and play some H back, Tyler Miller will play a big role this year in how this team performs.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I thought Ruby was the coach, not a kids dad? Minford would rather have a kid play QB just so he wont quit as oppose to playing a kid at QB that puts his team in a better position to win games?

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

transplant wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:57 pm I thought Ruby was the coach, not a kids dad? Minford would rather have a kid play QB just so he wont quit as oppose to playing a kid at QB that puts his team in a better position to win games?
That’s what his dad tells people, now I have no idea if that’s why he is starting. I will say it helps him that he runs track and the other 2 QBs play baseball, because I have heard rumors that track runners are favored better than non track people because ruby is the coach which I hope isn’t the case.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I see. Yeah, I would hope that's not the case either. Best players in the best positions to help the TEAM win games, bottom line. Who cares what other sports they play and all that. But I have no dog in the fight, just thought it sounded odd.

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

If the kid is going to quit for not being the QB, then let him. The team is better off without him or his dad. You can’t let a kid or his parents tell you where he is going to play.

I think McCray coaching the line should increase their skill set.

TheNest20
Waterboy

Post by TheNest20 »

G
Last edited by TheNest20 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

TheNest20 wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:49 am I can agree that it seems that track athletes seemed to be treated better under Ruby. I have talked to some of the kids on the track team and they seem to say they only do it to get on ruby's good side. With the Kelly situation you could go either way, many parents and kids say the only reason he starts is so he won't quit, but that could also just be from parents and kids who are scorned that they don't have a spot on the team. I will say though, it is kind off fishy how the kid doesn't play his Freshman year under Daniels, or his Sophomore year when Tyler McCormick held the reigns, and magically in his Junior year when the QB job was wide open, he decides he wants to play? :?

The dad apparently gave the former coach the ultimatum of his kid playing QB (Starting) or he wasnt playing. So he was told to hit the road because the dad wasnt the coach.

Under the new coach, the same ultimatum was made and granted. So he played and started.

When I say "apparently", all of the current coaches and former coaches under Daniels know about both situations. Its common knowledge. I also dont have anything against the dad, but he has and continues to rub people the wrong way in Minford by telling them how to coach even though he never played a high school sport. Its just a mess at this point.

Daniels turned the program around through his disciplined leadership. 5 or 6 straight years of making the playoffs, competing for the SOC to come up short several times to Burg (2 or more games of 7 or less point margins).

So far the new coach has went 5-5 and 4-6. Direct connection to the above if you ask me. I have nothing personally against any coaches previous or current, but when you allow parents to dictate your coaching style, you have sold out and lose respect of the other players and coaches on the team.

JMO.

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

BondRoad Bandit wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 3:05 pm I have to agree Volglesong-Lewis is the best athlete and better passer out of all 3 with McCormick being the 2nd and in the spread the QB is your best athlete at this level the sophomore gives this team the best chance to win. I don’t think Kelly completed a pass down field all year and I have also heard he’s not a good leader. Lewis has the best arm and accuracy and the best runner and leader even as a freshman, McCormick's downfall is his decision making under pressure which is fixable. Kelley will quit if he’s not QB he’s Dad has made that clear to the public and everyone in minford knows it. The other big question will be finding another downfield threat to replace Tilley they have Darius Jordan, also some younger guys that need to step up, Wiget and Risner will handle the running back duties and play some H back, Tyler Miller will play a big role this year in how this team performs.
I agree and they have some good kids to play receiver and H back. I have never understood how coaches can have losing seasons and continue to start older kids (and lose) when they have younger kids that are just as good, have more potential and have more years to play. Its robbing them of the experience they need to get better and improve the program later on.

This can be seen in several Minford sports.....both boys and girls. Not all.....but several coaches at Minford (both boys and girls coaches) play kids because of the name, age, fear of hearing from the kids grandma or parents if they are older/have the right name but dont play.

And because of this, they lose. Its not a head scratcher when you start juniors and seniors who have no business being out there to sit kids who are younger and better, these coaches ultimately wind up with kids who lose respect for them, dont want to play for them and stop playing at Minford all together. Its rampant in a couple of different sports right now at Minford and their results vs the talent they have shows just that.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

I was one of those guys that thought Ruby was a good hire and I based that opinion on his track team's work ethic and his enthusiasm. I'm beginning to doubt at this point. McCormick should start. Kelley can play tennis. Run Voglesong in the slot.

ITS FALCON TIME
Waterboy

Post by ITS FALCON TIME »

Minford has some young kids that have proven over last few years that they can play as a team and win as team,in the Freshman & sophomore class, (especially the freshman class plus they have a lot grit about them) they have been a very successful/unselfish, not so much the case for upper classmen The “I’s” cannot exit and be successful, put right kids in correct positions to make the team successful and everyone wins.

BondRoad Bandit
Freshman Team

I really hope there is an OC used to call plays this year because the pee wee style having no play sheet and calling in it from memory and on the sideline isn’t working out at all. Hopefully works out this year!
Last edited by BondRoad Bandit on Thu May 03, 2018 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

wobycat wrote: Tue May 01, 2018 8:43 am Vogelsong is a pretty good athlete. He doesn’t have much size but he looks strong. I’m not sure putting your best athlete in that position is the best option. I thought the jv qb was pretty good last year. I’d utilize him and get the other guy in space.
Thanks on the name couldn't remember it. Haven't seen him since 8th grade year in basketball, good size then compared to everyone else not sure where he stands now. As far as the game I seen him play he was very accurate, was already looking off the safety and making the correct reads. I walked away quite impressed and sort of made one of those mental notes we all do, when we see a younger player that we want to check out later on see how they turn out. As far as this other QB and his dad goes, daddy can say one thing but ultimately it's up to the player. Sounds as if this Kelly boy is a good athlete so he's going to be able to start and contribute to the team regardless of position. If you're running 3-4-5 WRs you need some playmakers and guys that can force the defense to cover and account for on every play. Sounds like Minford could be getting close to being a lot more competitive than years past, if I'm a coach and the youngster Vogelsong is right there with everyone I'm probably going to start him. He'll be able to lean on upper classman and come senior year you're looking at a 3 yr starter who can really lead the team. Good Luck in Muletown for this upcoming season.

TheNest20
Waterboy

Post by TheNest20 »

wobycat wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 8:27 am I was one of those guys that thought Ruby was a good hire and I based that opinion on his track team's work ethic and his enthusiasm. I'm beginning to doubt at this point. McCormick should start. Kelley can play tennis. Run Voglesong in the slot.
Last edited by TheNest20 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Football”