2018 Waverly Tigers Football Outlook

smurray
SEOPS HO

Re: 2018 Waverly Tigers Football Outlook

Post by smurray »

Ironman92 wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:57 pm Futhey any shot at playing varsity?
He's one of the freshman I refer to having too much talent to possibly not see the field.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Waverly had some younger players see time on the field because of injuries. That has to be a positive for them this year because of the experience they gained last year.
I can't see why they wouldn't have another solid season.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
YOU'RE TIGER BAIT
SEOPS Hippo

Post by YOU'RE TIGER BAIT »

GOOD LUCK TO THE WAVERLY TIGERS. I'D LIKE TO SEE MY IRONTON TIGERS N MY WAVERLY TIGERS UPSET THE BURG.

IN THE LONG GRASS BY THE WATER, SO WATCH YOUR STEP. AND LET'S GO IRONTON FIGHTING TIGERS, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES AND THE CINCINNATI BENGALS
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:57 am GOOD LUCK TO THE WAVERLY TIGERS. I'D LIKE TO SEE MY IRONTON TIGERS N MY WAVERLY TIGERS UPSET THE BURG.
one more realistic than other on paper at this time......give them some time and these matchups will be talked about like the games against the Columbus schools in the regular season.....showdowns.....SEO style

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

YOU'RE TIGER BAIT wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:57 am GOOD LUCK TO THE WAVERLY TIGERS. I'D LIKE TO SEE MY IRONTON TIGERS N MY WAVERLY TIGERS UPSET THE BURG.
Ironton, with Pendleton as head coach, has a chance of beating the Burg within the next four years. However I do not see Waverly or their SOC brethren downing the Pirates any time soon. The Burg's advantage in the SOC is not only personnel and coaching, it has become psychological in nature for football.

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
toast
All State

Post by toast »

No secret we lost a lot of talent to graduation. That group of kids was responsible for 16 regular season wins over the last two years and a couple of playoff appearances. They will be missed.

But the good news is the cupboard is far from bare. We've got some pretty special upperclassmen and a bunch of talented young kids. Success in large part will depend on how those young kids perform and how they progress and of course staying healthy. Am looking forward to this season as much as any in our recent past. We've got a lot of athletic kids. This should be an exciting team to watch.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

"Ironton, with Pendleton as head coach, has a chance of beating the Burg within the next four years. However I do not see Waverly or their SOC brethren downing the Pirates any time soon. The Burg's advantage in the SOC is not only personnel and coaching, it has become psychological in nature for football.
[/quote]

I'm surprised anyone would believe "coaching" could make that much of a difference. And Waverly's staff is knowledgeable and hard working. I'll put them up against any staff around. I also don't buy in to any psychological advantage.

Talent and athleticism wins football games. Valley recently won the SOC three years in a row because they had superior athletes and talent. They're now going through lean times with much the same staff. Several years ago Minford beat Wheelersburg twice in one season putting Burg out of the playoffs as a result of a talented and athletic group of kids. Waverly has beaten Burg a few times over the years when we have better athletes and were better at the sill positions.

Burg may indeed be hard to beat in the near future. Apparently a bunch of top notch athletes are headed their way. It's really not that complicated.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Burg has more soc trophy than all the others combined. I find it hard to believe that it’s based on better athletes.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Could see a 7-3 season again this year at best but don't know what the other schools retain from last season, hope for a good season for the tigers

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Oak
Freshman Team

Post by Oak »

wobycat wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:00 pm Burg has more soc trophy than all the others combined. I find it hard to believe that it’s based on better athletes.
Coaching and attitude play a part but in the end it comes down to the Jimmies and the Joes like Toast said.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

toast wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:16 pm "Ironton, with Pendleton as head coach, has a chance of beating the Burg within the next four years. However I do not see Waverly or their SOC brethren downing the Pirates any time soon. The Burg's advantage in the SOC is not only personnel and coaching, it has become psychological in nature for football.
I'm surprised anyone would believe "coaching" could make that much of a difference. And Waverly's staff is knowledgeable and hard working. I'll put them up against any staff around. I also don't buy in to any psychological advantage.

Talent and athleticism wins football games. Valley recently won the SOC three years in a row because they had superior athletes and talent. They're now going through lean times with much the same staff. Several years ago Minford beat Wheelersburg twice in one season putting Burg out of the playoffs as a result of a talented and athletic group of kids. Waverly has beaten Burg a few times over the years when we have better athletes and were better at the sill positions.

Burg may indeed be hard to beat in the near future. Apparently a bunch of top notch athletes are headed their way. It's really not that complicated.
[/quote]

Hey Toast, your post was well reasoned and contained valid points. You have to have talent and good coaching to win football games, yet do not overlook the mental part of the game. The Burg is not invincible, but their success breeds success and their local opponents become conditioned otherwise. Being an old man, psychology in sports is one of my hang ups. As always, I appreciate you sharing your opinions !

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Oak wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:52 pm
wobycat wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:00 pm Burg has more soc trophy than all the others combined. I find it hard to believe that it’s based on better athletes.
Coaching and attitude play a part but in the end it comes down to the Jimmies and the Joes like Toast said.
So since the 70’S burg has always had better athletes except for a hand full of times? That’s the only reason for their success?

toast
All State

Post by toast »

"You have to have talent and good coaching to win football games, yet do not overlook the mental part of the game. The Burg is not invincible, but their success breeds success and their local opponents become conditioned otherwise. Being an old man, psychology in sports is one of my hang ups. As always, I appreciate you sharing your opinions !"

Omega: Thanks for the kind words. We're not too far apart. I do believe success breeds success. I also believe it helps attract sports oriented families and athletes to a district. Opinions make this site fun, keep yours coming. :)

wobycat: It takes many elements to be successful and sustain that level of success over time. But in my opinion none are nearly as important as having several top notch athletes in nearly every class. Without those athletes the others elements aren't going to matter much.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Kicker. wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:41 pm Could see a 7-3 season again this year at best but don't know what the other schools retain from last season, hope for a good season for the tigers
Just for debate who do you think are the 3 losses?

Proud_Pirate63
S

Post by Proud_Pirate63 »

I would say losses to Burg and Nelsonville York. West game could go either way.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

smurray wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:32 pm
Kicker. wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:41 pm Could see a 7-3 season again this year at best but don't know what the other schools retain from last season, hope for a good season for the tigers
Just for debate who do you think are the 3 losses?

The same as last season, Burg has been on top for a while other than the 16 game where waverly almost won, nelsonville-yoyrk should be a very good team again and I would think west again, waverly was very competitive in that game, also unioto could be a close game, hearing they could be a good team

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

What kind of numbers did the Tigers have out in June? Any updates, new faces, etc.

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

smurray wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:31 pm What kind of numbers did the Tigers have out in June? Any updates, new faces, etc.
From what I saw prob somewhere in the 50s. As far as new faces, I did see the Shoemaker boy there early in June, but not after that.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

OldTiger wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:58 am
smurray wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:31 pm What kind of numbers did the Tigers have out in June? Any updates, new faces, etc.
From what I saw prob somewhere in the 50s. As far as new faces, I did see the Shoemaker boy there early in June, but not after that.
Hope he plays

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

What’s the 7 on 7 schedule look like?

Return to “Football”