2018 Waverly Tigers Football Outlook

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: 2018 Waverly Tigers Football Outlook

Post by Orange and Brown »

smurray wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:34 pm What times are the Tigers two-a-day sessions?
2 a days are over. Most schools are on a regular practice schedule by now.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
countywide35
SEOP

Post by countywide35 »

Tiger Faithful I have a question. Does Waverly have a 2nd grade football team? If so, who is the coach or contact info so we may see if they would be interested in a scrimmage, game, etc. Any info would be great! Thanks!

2019 FAC Football Pick’Em Champion
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:55 am
smurray wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:34 pm What times are the Tigers two-a-day sessions?
Stopped in this morning to check out the 2018 Tigers. I am even more excited to get this season started - was impressed with what I saw.
I know they have yet to hit anyone and Friday nights are a whole different thing but I really think this team is more athletic and deeper than last years. You don’t replace a Clayton Howell but I believe if Shanks plays within himself he will be fine - he has an unbelievable cast of WR’a and RB’ around him.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

smurray wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:56 pm
Stopped in this morning to check out the 2018 Tigers. I am even more excited to get this season started - was impressed with what I saw.
I know they have yet to hit anyone and Friday nights are a whole different thing but I really think this team is more athletic and deeper than last years. You don’t replace a Clayton Howell but I believe if Shanks plays within himself he will be fine - he has an unbelievable cast of WR’a and RB’ around him.
Can't wait to see y'all week 5. Should be a heck of a game.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Orange and Brown wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:05 pm
smurray wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:56 pm

Can't wait to see y'all week 5. Should be a heck of a game.

Hope you enjoy the raidiger, I was impressed with boston field last season

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

The Tigers held a midnight practice under the lights to kickoff the first day of contact, pretty awesome! I'm sure if word would have gotten out some, more of the community would have showed up to watch. Hopefully this could be the start of a new tradition for the program. The boys seemed to really enjoy it. From the looks of it they were ready to get things going, a lot of excitement building for this season!

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

greygoose wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:29 am I don't think anyone ever questioned that waverly was going to have plenty of talent back at the skilled positions. For me it was going to be Shanks adjusting to the game speed but with the weapons around him the coaching staff can make that an easier transition. Shoemaker has been a HUGE addition as he is going to be a lockdown corner, with what I'm hearing coming out of these 7-7 seeing him lock up with Tanner should be intriguing. Going into this season for me it was the line play of the Tigers both offensively and defensively, the o-line could struggle early not hearing that there's a lot of size or experience. I don't believe teams will be passing the ball it will be Waverly's ability to stop the run on defense. All that is stuff that won't be answered for awhile, 7-7 are great for quarterbacks to get timing down with WRs. Let's face it things change with a pass rush and if the line struggles the game is sped up that much more on a young player. Hearing good things so far, but the one thing we won't know for awhile is line play and that's going to be what dictates Waverly's season because I do feel they have enough skilled players to play with most teams. Good Luck
Are the young Shoemaker's related to John Shoemaker in any way?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Omega wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:34 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:29 am I don't think anyone ever questioned that waverly was going to have plenty of talent back at the skilled positions. For me it was going to be Shanks adjusting to the game speed but with the weapons around him the coaching staff can make that an easier transition. Shoemaker has been a HUGE addition as he is going to be a lockdown corner, with what I'm hearing coming out of these 7-7 seeing him lock up with Tanner should be intriguing. Going into this season for me it was the line play of the Tigers both offensively and defensively, the o-line could struggle early not hearing that there's a lot of size or experience. I don't believe teams will be passing the ball it will be Waverly's ability to stop the run on defense. All that is stuff that won't be answered for awhile, 7-7 are great for quarterbacks to get timing down with WRs. Let's face it things change with a pass rush and if the line struggles the game is sped up that much more on a young player. Hearing good things so far, but the one thing we won't know for awhile is line play and that's going to be what dictates Waverly's season because I do feel they have enough skilled players to play with most teams. Good Luck
Are the young Shoemaker's related to John Shoemaker in any way?
Not sure about that but their dad is Todd.

Bernie Kosar
Waterboy

Post by Bernie Kosar »

Very excited for the season, waverly will surprise people

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:44 pm The Tigers held a midnight practice under the lights to kickoff the first day of contact, pretty awesome! I'm sure if word would have gotten out some, more of the community would have showed up to watch. Hopefully this could be the start of a new tradition for the program. The boys seemed to really enjoy it. From the looks of it they were ready to get things going, a lot of excitement building for this season!
Have to explain that one to me? Because I'm envisioning a practice from midnight to 1-2 am, did the team stay overnight in the gym? Or were kids being put out on the road at 2 am and parents who may work coming in at 2 am to pickup kids? Now if it was practice and team bonding by keeping kids overnight in the gym pretty cool. If it's the other I'd rather see 9-11 under the lights compared to midnight

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

greygoose wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:40 am
MasterOfNone wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:44 pm The Tigers held a midnight practice under the lights to kickoff the first day of contact, pretty awesome! I'm sure if word would have gotten out some, more of the community would have showed up to watch. Hopefully this could be the start of a new tradition for the program. The boys seemed to really enjoy it. From the looks of it they were ready to get things going, a lot of excitement building for this season!
Have to explain that one to me? Because I'm envisioning a practice from midnight to 1-2 am, did the team stay overnight in the gym? Or were kids being put out on the road at 2 am and parents who may work coming in at 2 am to pickup kids? Now if it was practice and team bonding by keeping kids overnight in the gym pretty cool. If it's the other I'd rather see 9-11 under the lights compared to midnight
It was until about 2am and was attended by quite a few parents and community members. Afterward the kids were fed by the parents club and boosters and the kids did spend the night. Breakfast was fixed and served by the coaches in the morning. It was my understanding that fun times were had by all and it was a great team bonding opportunity.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

OldTiger wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:00 am
greygoose wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:40 am
It was until about 2am and was attended by quite a few parents and community members. Afterward the kids were fed by the parents club and boosters and the kids did spend the night. Breakfast was fixed and served by the coaches in the morning. It was my understanding that fun times were had by all and it was a great team bonding opportunity.
Now that's good to hear.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

So the Tigers have their first scrimmage this Saturday at Miami Trace, at least I believe they do. I know Miami Trace had a down year last season, only won 1 game. Curious to see how the Tigers come out and play, of course it is to be expected for some mistakes and learning experiences to take place. Still very exciting to finally get a glimpse of them in action. Three things I will be looking for at the scrimmage will be the Run D, O-Line, and QB play. I think I see the most question marks in those 3 areas, mainly due to lack of experience.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:17 pm So the Tigers have their first scrimmage this Saturday at Miami Trace, at least I believe they do. I know Miami Trace had a down year last season, only won 1 game. Curious to see how the Tigers come out and play, of course it is to be expected for some mistakes and learning experiences to take place. Still very exciting to finally get a glimpse of them in action. Three things I will be looking for at the scrimmage will be the Run D, O-Line, and QB play. I think I see the most question marks in those 3 areas, mainly due to lack of experience.
You hit the area of concern nail on the head.
Both lines will need to prove themselves and Shanks not force things, let the game come to him as he gains valuable experience.
One thing we won’t see in the scrimmage is the kicking game but I hear Diener is booming it into the end zone. Kicking game should be very good.

SEO Sports
Riding the Bench

Post by SEO Sports »

I know it's still early, but what is a reasonable projection for this team as of now? A lot can happen when games start.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

SEO Sports wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:55 pm I know it's still early, but what is a reasonable projection for this team as of now? A lot can happen when games start.
Are you talking about wins/losses?
That is hard to say not knowing what other teams bring into the season: we all know Wheelersburg brings a lot. West should be similar to last year. Nelsonville lost a lot to graduation but returns one of the best players around. Not sure what Unioto will have. Logan is a big D2 school so who knows about them.

Not predicting wins and losses but I believe the Tigers could have a very good year in what many thought was going to be a “rebuilding” year. I think they have reloaded.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

smurray wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:47 pm
MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:17 pm So the Tigers have their first scrimmage this Saturday at Miami Trace, at least I believe they do. I know Miami Trace had a down year last season, only won 1 game. Curious to see how the Tigers come out and play, of course it is to be expected for some mistakes and learning experiences to take place. Still very exciting to finally get a glimpse of them in action. Three things I will be looking for at the scrimmage will be the Run D, O-Line, and QB play. I think I see the most question marks in those 3 areas, mainly due to lack of experience.
Both lines will need to prove themselves and Shanks not force things, let the game come to him as he gains valuable experience.
One thing we won’t see in the scrimmage is the kicking game but I hear Diener is booming it into the end zone. Kicking game should be very good.

Basing off what was seen from Diener last season he most definitely could be getting touch backs with ease, along with getting his own points from field goals potentially

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Kicker. wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:13 pm
smurray wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:47 pm

Basing off what was seen from Diener last season he most definitely could be getting touch backs with ease, along with getting his own points from field goals potentially
FG’s will def. be a possibility in certain situations and PAT’s consistent.

SEO Sports
Riding the Bench

Post by SEO Sports »

smurray wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:06 pm
SEO Sports wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:55 pm I know it's still early, but what is a reasonable projection for this team as of now? A lot can happen when games start.
Are you talking about wins/losses?
That is hard to say not knowing what other teams bring into the season: we all know Wheelersburg brings a lot. West should be similar to last year. Nelsonville lost a lot to graduation but returns one of the best players around. Not sure what Unioto will have. Logan is a big D2 school so who knows about them.

Not predicting wins and losses but I believe the Tigers could have a very good year in what many thought was going to be a “rebuilding” year. I think they have reloaded.
Thanks for the run down on the Tigers smurray. Always try to catch a game down that way that Radiger Field is updated. I remember a couple years in the early 2000's Waverly was very stout. I believe the old school was right in front of the Stadium and the locker rooms for both teams were close. And stout a couple years in the mid 2000's but the school was torn down before the Stadium was updated. But always a nice place to catch a basketball game.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

smurray summed up things nicely. Just too many unknowns going in to this season and too many holes to fill to predict wins and losses. But I do sense an awful lot of excitement and optimism going in to this year. Just as much if not more than the last few years to be totally honest.

Return to “Football”