2018 Waverly Tigers Football Outlook

Kicker.
All Conference

Re: 2018 Waverly Tigers Football Outlook

Post by Kicker. »

smurray wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:32 pm
Kicker. wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:41 pm Could see a 7-3 season again this year at best but don't know what the other schools retain from last season, hope for a good season for the tigers
Just for debate who do you think are the 3 losses?

The same as last season, Burg has been on top for a while other than the 16 game where waverly almost won, nelsonville-yoyrk should be a very good team again and I would think west again, waverly was very competitive in that game, also unioto could be a close game, hearing they could be a good team

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

What kind of numbers did the Tigers have out in June? Any updates, new faces, etc.

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

smurray wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:31 pm What kind of numbers did the Tigers have out in June? Any updates, new faces, etc.
From what I saw prob somewhere in the 50s. As far as new faces, I did see the Shoemaker boy there early in June, but not after that.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

OldTiger wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:58 am
smurray wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:31 pm What kind of numbers did the Tigers have out in June? Any updates, new faces, etc.
From what I saw prob somewhere in the 50s. As far as new faces, I did see the Shoemaker boy there early in June, but not after that.
Hope he plays

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

What’s the 7 on 7 schedule look like?

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

Only 7 on 7 I’ve heard about so far is at Ashland Univ. Next week.

The Flush
Varsity

Post by The Flush »

smurray wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:44 pm
OldTiger wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:58 am
Hope he plays
His parents were at the parents meeting tonight and he and his freshman brother have their names on lockers.

Coach said he expected about 55 players.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Does waverly have a jamboree game? If so who's it against?

mglight88
SE

Post by mglight88 »

According to arbiter, Waverly hosts Portsmouth the 17th

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Hearing some good things coming out of the Tiger camp. Could be very deep at the skill positions with some very good athletes.
Could possibly see some quickness/speed at the RB position not seen since Montavon graced the field.
Could also be a very much improved defensive squad. Possibly the best defensive backfield in a long time.
Getting excited to see these guys soon...

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

Ya, me too. My understanding is that this 7 v 7 was set up tournament style. 18 teams and Waverly finished numbe 2. The defense is looking very solid. Offense is still finding its legs, but I hear Shanks performed very well today.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

OldTiger wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:46 pm Ya, me too. My understanding is that this 7 v 7 was set up tournament style. 18 teams and Waverly finished numbe 2. The defense is looking very solid. Offense is still finding its legs, but I hear Shanks performed very well today.
Shanks will have a lot of great skill players around him so he shouldn’t have pressure of being a 30-40 pass per game QB out of the gate.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Excited to get this season underway and see what these Tigers can do. It seems as tho we have the potential to have another good season, really happy with the direction this program has been going. It seems as tho we are in a pattern of almost reloading every season rather than rebuilding, the program still has higher goals to reach but major strides have been made in the past couple of seasons. Kudos to the boys putting in the work and the coaching staff doing an excellent job.

Shanks seems like he has the skill set to get things done, once he gets some varsity experience under his belt and the mental game handled I think he will do well. He has a lot of potential.
Shoemaker will be a very nice addition, I assume he will be playing corner on the defensive side. Not sure offensively where they plan on using him, I assume maybe some WR or RB?
Also, any word on if the Futhey boys will be getting varsity action? Will seems like he would have the size to be able to contribute in some form at the varsity level.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

MasterOfNone wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:39 am Excited to get this season underway and see what these Tigers can do. It seems as tho we have the potential to have another good season, really happy with the direction this program has been going. It seems as tho we are in a pattern of almost reloading every season rather than rebuilding, the program still has higher goals to reach but major strides have been made in the past couple of seasons. Kudos to the boys putting in the work and the coaching staff doing an excellent job.

Shanks seems like he has the skill set to get things done, once he gets some varsity experience under his belt and the mental game handled I think he will do well. He has a lot of potential.
Shoemaker will be a very nice addition, I assume he will be playing corner on the defensive side. Not sure offensively where they plan on using him, I assume maybe some WR or RB?
Also, any word on if the Futhey boys will be getting varsity action? Will seems like he would have the size to be able to contribute in some form at the varsity level.
From what I'm hearing on here about shoemaker is he could be utilized as an h-back that would be a good role for him to be but I know they've marquez for that last year

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Kicker. wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:52 am
MasterOfNone wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:39 am Excited to get this season underway and see what these Tigers can do. It seems as tho we have the potential to have another good season, really happy with the direction this program has been going. It seems as tho we are in a pattern of almost reloading every season rather than rebuilding, the program still has higher goals to reach but major strides have been made in the past couple of seasons. Kudos to the boys putting in the work and the coaching staff doing an excellent job.

From what I'm hearing on here about shoemaker is he could be utilized as an h-back that would be a good role for him to be but I know they've marquez for that last year
Shoemaker will be a lockdown corner and def touch the ball on offense, RB/HB. Marquez will lock down the other corner and Easton Wolfe at safety. Marquez and Wolfe will be catching passes from Shanks.
Will Futhey will see PT of some kind, most likely TE. Zeke Brown will be a beast. Could be a nice year for the TE.
Don’t forget, we get a RB back who was out all last year due to injury.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Even with all the talent lost to graduation, there's reason for optimism in Tiger land. I'm as excited about this upcoming season as any in recent memory even though I wouldn't want to predict wins and losses. Just so many unknowns going in this year. But boy, we do have some athletes!

If I had to choose one factor that will determine our success this season it would be our "run defense". Two season ago we went 9-1 and recorded six shutouts in our first ten games. Our run defense was stout. We'll learn something about that defense in our jamboree game against Portsmouth when we face one of the best running backs in southern Ohio. Go Tigers!!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

toast wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:48 pm Even with all the talent lost to graduation, there's reason for optimism in Tiger land. I'm as excited about this upcoming season as any in recent memory even though I wouldn't want to predict wins and losses. Just so many unknowns going in this year. But boy, we do have some athletes!

If I had to choose one factor that will determine our success this season it would be our "run defense". Two season ago we went 9-1 and recorded six shutouts in our first ten games. Our run defense was stout. We'll learn something about that defense in our jamboree game against Portsmouth when we face one of the best running backs in southern Ohio. Go Tigers!!
I agree with the run defense being key. I cant see much of a better secondary around then what the Tigers will put on the field. If we can stop the run and force folks to air it out we should be in good shape.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

I don't think anyone ever questioned that waverly was going to have plenty of talent back at the skilled positions. For me it was going to be Shanks adjusting to the game speed but with the weapons around him the coaching staff can make that an easier transition. Shoemaker has been a HUGE addition as he is going to be a lockdown corner, with what I'm hearing coming out of these 7-7 seeing him lock up with Tanner should be intriguing. Going into this season for me it was the line play of the Tigers both offensively and defensively, the o-line could struggle early not hearing that there's a lot of size or experience. I don't believe teams will be passing the ball it will be Waverly's ability to stop the run on defense. All that is stuff that won't be answered for awhile, 7-7 are great for quarterbacks to get timing down with WRs. Let's face it things change with a pass rush and if the line struggles the game is sped up that much more on a young player. Hearing good things so far, but the one thing we won't know for awhile is line play and that's going to be what dictates Waverly's season because I do feel they have enough skilled players to play with most teams. Good Luck

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

greygoose wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:29 am I don't think anyone ever questioned that waverly was going to have plenty of talent back at the skilled positions. For me it was going to be Shanks adjusting to the game speed but with the weapons around him the coaching staff can make that an easier transition. Shoemaker has been a HUGE addition as he is going to be a lockdown corner, with what I'm hearing coming out of these 7-7 seeing him lock up with Tanner should be intriguing. Going into this season for me it was the line play of the Tigers both offensively and defensively, the o-line could struggle early not hearing that there's a lot of size or experience. I don't believe teams will be passing the ball it will be Waverly's ability to stop the run on defense. All that is stuff that won't be answered for awhile, 7-7 are great for quarterbacks to get timing down with WRs. Let's face it things change with a pass rush and if the line struggles the game is sped up that much more on a young player. Hearing good things so far, but the one thing we won't know for awhile is line play and that's going to be what dictates Waverly's season because I do feel they have enough skilled players to play with most teams. Good Luck
Offensive line will return an all SOC lineman in bock

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Kicker. wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:55 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:29 am I don't think anyone ever questioned that waverly was going to have plenty of talent back at the skilled positions. For me it was going to be Shanks adjusting to the game speed but with the weapons around him the coaching staff can make that an easier transition. Shoemaker has been a HUGE addition as he is going to be a lockdown corner, with what I'm hearing coming out of these 7-7 seeing him lock up with Tanner should be intriguing. Going into this season for me it was the line play of the Tigers both offensively and defensively, the o-line could struggle early not hearing that there's a lot of size or experience. I don't believe teams will be passing the ball it will be Waverly's ability to stop the run on defense. All that is stuff that won't be answered for awhile, 7-7 are great for quarterbacks to get timing down with WRs. Let's face it things change with a pass rush and if the line struggles the game is sped up that much more on a young player. Hearing good things so far, but the one thing we won't know for awhile is line play and that's going to be what dictates Waverly's season because I do feel they have enough skilled players to play with most teams. Good Luck
Offensive line will return an all SOC lineman in bock
So they return 1 lineman??

Return to “Football”