2018 Northwest Mohawks Football Outlook

SEOPS
Freshman Team

2018 Northwest Mohawks Football Outlook

Post by SEOPS »

What do the Mohawks have coming back for 2018? Please post projected roster schedule, and outlook and keep this thread going throughout the football season.

alabama mike
SE

Re: 2018 Northwest Mohawks Football Outlook

Post by alabama mike »

MCDERMOTT NORTHWEST
24-Aug-18 H CHILLICOTHE SOUTHEASTERN
31-Aug-18 H IRONTON ROCK HILL
7-Sep-18 A CHILLICOTHE HUNTINGTON
14-Sep-18 H MINFORD
21-Sep-18 H BEAVER EASTERN
28-Sep-18 A PORTSMOUTH SCIOTOVILLE
5-Oct-18 A OAK HILL, OH
12-Oct-18 H PORTSMOUTH NOTRE DAME
19-Oct-18 H FRANKLIN FURNACE GREEN
26-Oct-18 A WILLOW WOOD SYMMES VALLEY

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Are the mohawks moving back up to soc 2 in the future? I've heard a couple people saying they are getting moved back up in a couple yrs

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:04 am Are the mohawks moving back up to soc 2 in the future? I've heard a couple people saying they are getting moved back up in a couple yrs

Who knows when, oak hill is headed next season, maybe a few more after that northwest has success in SOC I and good numbers to jump back into II

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Kicker. wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:27 pm
Mad-Dogg wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:04 am Are the mohawks moving back up to soc 2 in the future? I've heard a couple people saying they are getting moved back up in a couple yrs

Who knows when, oak hill is headed next season, maybe a few more after that northwest has success in SOC I and good numbers to jump back into II
i knew oak hill was. i seen a partial burg schedule for 2019 and it has them as a conference game

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Mad-Dogg wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:03 pm

i knew oak hill was. i seen a partial burg schedule for 2019 and it has them as a conference game

I'm glad they're finally making the jump, they've had steady numbers and success in SOC I and it helps all the teams in II with having a guranteed game instead of looking for weeks 1-4

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Not sure if we see Northwest moved back up or not. Unlike Oak Hill, who had both the numbers and an outstanding record basically being the big kid on the block. Northwest simply hasn't showed that type year in year out sustainability, they've had more sub .500 seasons than they have above .500. While school size suggest they should probably move up, if we use performance as an indicator they probably are right where they should be in SOC I. If moved up to SOC II they'll simply fall back to the basement year in and year out. SOC I they'll have a run here and there maybe but they can at least be more competitive, for the most part, year to year.

Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

The Mohawks have suffered almost 60 years of futility. There have been a handful of winning seasons, but it seems the school administration and community really do not care about losing on the gridiron. Northwest has good academics and is somewhat competitive in other sports, why is it that football is the ugly stephild?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

For years I have had people from out that way tell me it's because the district is so big that most athletes don't come out because of how far they are from the school or because by the time they get home it would be to late for kids to do work on their farms. I think some of the problem is the rotation of coaches that they see every couple years.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Tartanblue wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:20 pm For years I have had people from out that way tell me it's because the district is so big that most athletes don't come out because of how far they are from the school or because by the time they get home it would be to late for kids to do work on their farms. I think some of the problem is the rotation of coaches that they see every couple years.
I've heard this exact thing as well, for some reason though they have a very competitive junior high program. Believe this past season they went undefeated, if they can settle on a coaching staff and start to bring in wins the kids will come out and play ball. Being so spread out is only a problem when you're losing, no one wants to put in that extra effort for seasons of 1-3 wins year in and year out. Start brining in 6 wins or more each year and let's see what happens, starts with a quality head coach and staff to make that a reality.

N2Hoops
Freshman Team

Post by N2Hoops »

greygoose wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:37 pm
Tartanblue wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:20 pm For years I have had people from out that way tell me it's because the district is so big that most athletes don't come out because of how far they are from the school or because by the time they get home it would be to late for kids to do work on their farms. I think some of the problem is the rotation of coaches that they see every couple years.
I've heard this exact thing as well, for some reason though they have a very competitive junior high program. Believe this past season they went undefeated, if they can settle on a coaching staff and start to bring in wins the kids will come out and play ball. Being so spread out is only a problem when you're losing, no one wants to put in that extra effort for seasons of 1-3 wins year in and year out. Start brining in 6 wins or more each year and let's see what happens, starts with a quality head coach and staff to make that a reality.
The young group at NW is very talented, but we've all seen this movie before, hopefully they buckle up and keep Montavon he has a true investment in the program.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

N2Hoops wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:49 am
greygoose wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:37 pm
The young group at NW is very talented, but we've all seen this movie before, hopefully they buckle up and keep Montavon he has a true investment in the program.
Exactly, seen it a lot with Northwest especially. Successful peewee and junior high program and for whatever reason hit high school and that success just isn't repeated. Not sure if the kids stop coming out, or it's coaching whatever the reason there's been times that I thought Northwest was setup for success and just never see it pan out for them. Now with that junior high group will they stick together we'll see. Green is another team I've seen them have success in junior high but hit high school and the boys simply don't go out or they lose a kid here or there and that success just hasn't translated.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

I don't think its the kinds not coming out, I think they still have decent numbers. I think the kids just "peak" in Jr. high. Seems like to me Northwest kids are always bigger, stronger, faster in Jr. High, but then they are the same size and speed in high school, like they don't progress and develop like other schools. Minford does this sometimes too.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

transplant wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:03 am I don't think its the kinds not coming out, I think they still have decent numbers. I think the kids just "peak" in Jr. high. Seems like to me Northwest kids are always bigger, stronger, faster in Jr. High, but then they are the same size and speed in high school, like they don't progress and develop like other schools. Minford does this sometimes too.
Probably because they take the biggest kid who hit puberty early and let him run the ball, when instead they need to teach him how to pick up an inside blitz.

transplant
SE

Post by transplant »

Yeah, that's it. Sounds like they need to quit worrying about being Jr. High champs and develop players and learn other aspects of the game.

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

There's a lot of reasons why Northwest has struggled consistently in football. That list includes: lack of stability, socioeconomics, such as travel and cost, and then the sparseness of a sustained community. Northwest seems like a bunch of small hamlets with no central town to identify with, which could be the biggest factor. Couple that with a soccer program that's doing well, and I think you have your current situation with Northwest.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

How Northwest's numbers looking this summer? Also, anybody from Northwest heard anything definitive as to how long they gonna stay down in SOC I? I've heard they got 4 years to stabilize the program before they getting moved back to SOC II. Any truth to it?*

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

art_vandelay wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:29 am How Northwest's numbers looking this summer? Also, anybody from Northwest heard anything definitive as to how long they gonna stay down in SOC I? I've heard they got 4 years to stabilize the program before they getting moved back to SOC II. Any truth to it?*
The numbers are still low this season. They have some good skilled kids but not sure how the line is going to do. They have a large talented freshman class, some of them will see some varsity action this season.
They have a lot of talent coming up, I believe the young kids for the most part will stick it out and work hard.
There is going to be a lot of changes coming in the future at Northwest. New weight lifting facility, new locker rooms, turf field and a lot of other things as well. Probably be 2020 on all the up grades.
I would say in the near future they are going to have good numbers and talent and are going to have to move back to the SOC ll.

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Nice to hear that NW will be getting turf and an updated facility in the near future. This will leave Minford and West as the only bigger SOC schools without turf.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

I'm sure there are numerous reasons as to the falloff once they hit high school. But the fact is; Northwest has lost a lot of those talented kids to other schools. They had a fantastic Jr. High football team about five years ago. By their senior year only a handful of this kids were still at Northwest or still playing football.

New facilities and a new turf field will help immensely. You've got to have talent to win and you've got to keep those kids at Northwest. This years freshman class is really good. If they stay at Northwest and continue to play football you will see success.

Return to “Football”