Hannan(WV) to take field this season with female head coach

Omega
SEOPS H

Hannan(WV) to take field this season with female head coach

Post by Omega »

From the Charleston Gazette and of possible interest as Hannah plays some Ohio schools:

When the Hannan Wildcats take the field Aug. 24 at Tug Valley, they likely will make history as possibly the first high school football squad in West Virginia with a female head coach.

Kellie Thomas has been head coach of girls basketball and volleyball, as well as an assistant coach with track and field, and now she’s adding football coach to her resume. She has also been a physical education teacher and athletic trainer at times during her 20 years in the Mason County School District.

A graduate of Point Pleasant High School and Marshall University, Thomas is well versed in championship football, having been an athletic trainer with Marshall’s 1992 NCAA Division I-AA national title-winning team.

“It’s a real honor to be hired as the new football coach at Hannan,” Thomas said. “I appreciate the opportunity that I have been given. I’ve been around the game for many, many years. I was actually on the Marshall sidelines when we won the national title in 1992 and I grew up in a family with three older brothers that all played football at Point Pleasant.”

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/sports/pr ... c7ebf.html

Also a doff of the hat to EdForshey for tipping me off to a WV web site for high school sports. TailGateCentral may be of interest to SEOP members as the schools they follow play WV teams from time to time. The TGC site should compliment SEOP and not be a direct competitor.

http://www.wvtailgatecentral.com/forum_ ... d,1.0.html

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
Zunardo
Freshman Team

Re: Hannan(WV) to take field this season with female head coach

Post by Zunardo »

Interesting. After Googling the subject, I had no idea there have already been at least 7 or 8 female head coaches in high school football across the country, going back at least to 2010 and probably earlier.

They've come a long way, baby!

Truthful
Waterboy

Post by Truthful »

This is great news!!! A lot of football moves at Ironton- Salmons disaster!End zone drinks!coach on facebook!- could be prevented with a good woman on board!

morganjones
Riding the Bench

Post by morganjones »

publicity stunt

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Not much of a football resume but I do with her well

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Keep it classy or I'll shut this topic down.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

:evil:

Exactly the kind of proletariat bureaucratic response we would expect from the likes of you. No one says anything negative and yet you feel the need to reinforce the bourgeois nazi protocol that you have become known for on this site and threaten to shut down the topic. All I can say is WOW TIMMY! Maybe you should whip up a glass of ensure. Go sit in the shade. Take a deep breath. And then consider stepping down as a mod.

This is Howard Cosell. Tellin' it like it is!
Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Howard Cosell wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:06 pm :evil:

Exactly the kind of proletariat bureaucratic response we would expect from the likes of you. No one says anything negative and yet you feel the need to reinforce the bourgeois nazi protocol that you have become known for on this site and threaten to shut down the topic. All I can say is WOW TIMMY! Maybe you should whip up a glass of ensure. Go sit in the shade. Take a deep breath. And then consider stepping down as a mod.
You feel better now little fella?
Maybe if you have seen the posts that had to be deleted, you'd have a different view.
Have great day though.....

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

u go girl!!!!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Orange and Brown wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:31 pm Keep it classy or I'll shut this topic down.
exactly.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
coach knows
Freshman Team

Post by coach knows »

Truthful wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:19 pm This is great news!!! A lot of football moves at Ironton- Salmons disaster!End zone drinks!coach on facebook!- could be prevented with a good woman on board!
I think this women has work hard to get where she is at not like some coaches we know ;)

OVC
JV Team

Post by OVC »

Anyone who says a woman could never coach men, obviously have never heard of one Pat Summitt. She could've coached men and be darn good at it.

Contemplating all life choices and loyalties…
TRENCHFOOT
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by TRENCHFOOT »

OVC wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:52 pm Anyone who says a woman could never coach men, obviously have never heard of one Pat Summitt. She could've coached men and be darn good at it.
Agree OVC.

NY Tomcat
JV Team

Post by NY Tomcat »

OVC wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:52 pm Anyone who says a woman could never coach men, obviously have never heard of one Pat Summitt. She could've coached men and be darn good at it.
Yea well Pat was good, but don't forget Goldy Hawn actually coached a high school boys team back in the 80's. So it can be done. :mrgreen:

Return to “Football”