81%
Piketon
19%

Total votes: 37

toast
All State

Waverly 50 Piketon 6

Post by toast »

Just over a month away. The game is at Piketon this year on Friday, August 24th. Waverly coming off a 7-3 regular season and Piketon finished 4-6 last year.

Piketon returns a lot of experienced players, lead by the impressive combination of Galloway to Grooms. Grooms had nearly 800 yards receiving. Piketon returns several starters on both sides of the ball.

Lots of new faces for the Tigers this season as they lost a bunch of talent to graduation. But the cupboard is far from bare. This should be a good one.

Kicker.
All Conference

Re: Waverly @ Piketon WK1

Post by Kicker. »

Is always a good game regardless of what the all time record says, as of today ill take waverly

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Piketon will find it tough sledding trying to air it out against the Tigers I believe.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

greygoose wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:46 am Piketon will find it tough sledding trying to air it out against the Tigers I believe.
Waverly should have an outstanding defensive backfield, maybe one of the best around. The addition of Shoemaker made an already good secondary outstanding. Piketon will have to run the ball and Waverly will have to stop the run.
Waverly will have excellent RB's with great speed and very good WR's. If the Tigers can establish the run and avoid putting pressure on Shanks to having to throw the ball 30 times (in his first career start at QB), Waverly should be ok. Waverly only returns two starters on the O-line so hopefully they find some guys who are ready to step up.

Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

Post by Smokyhollowbandit »

This should be a really good game, I’d like think Piketon will will come out and try to throw the ball but the game is 31 days away so coach Gullion and his staff have plenty of time to come up with a nice offensive game plan, defensively I look for Piketon to be real solid. Hopefully the Streaks can come out defensively and put a lot of pressure on the Waverly offense. Whoever can make a big play or two on both sides of the ball will come out with the win. With all of this being said I’ll take Piketon 28-14 on the home turf

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Smokyhollowbandit wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:35 pm This should be a really good game, I’d like think Piketon will will come out and try to throw the ball but the game is 31 days away so coach Gullion and his staff have plenty of time to come up with a nice offensive game plan, defensively I look for Piketon to be real solid. Hopefully the Streaks can come out defensively and put a lot of pressure on the Waverly offense. Whoever can make a big play or two on both sides of the ball will come out with the win. With all of this being said I’ll take Piketon 28-14 on the home turf
Gullion will have a game plan this much we all know, especially when it's your 1st game of the year have all year to plan right. However, given the amount of talent Waverly is returning in the secondary, not to mention they're a year older, plus the addition of shoemaker who I'm hearing has played lights in in 7-7, Piketon having a game plan where they come out and throw a bunch simply won't be a winning game plan. Early on in the season teams will want to attack Waverly up front, because right now until they know what they have the trenches is where waverly is weakest at least on paper which is all we can go by. Piketon will throw the ball with Grooms out there you still need to but Waverly has size and speed in that secondary and I'll lay money that says Gullion comes out running the ball quite a bit and mixes more PA pass into the equation as opposed to just dropping back and airing it out. Just my 2 cents but I do think I'll probably take this game in like to see if the Tigers are developing into a reload or rebuild team under Crabtree, should be a good indicator with the talent they graduated.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

Anyone know when and where both teams scrimmages will be?

Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

MasterOfNone wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:09 am Anyone know when and where both teams scrimmages will be?
Piketon scrimmages Minford the 10th home and @ Sciotoville East the 17

OldTiger
JV Team

Post by OldTiger »

Waverly scrimmages Miami Trace Aug 11 at Trace and they scrimmage Portsmouth Aug 17 at home.

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

After seeing Piketon's field, curious as to where this will be played at? Their field looks terrible... Hearing they may possibly try to use the soccer field (although from what I have heard when the soccer field was built, many of those associated with the soccer program said there was never to be any football played on it). Also have heard a neutral site being mentioned if things can't get worked out. I'm sure Waverly will gladly host the game at their place if needed..

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

MasterOfNone wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:24 am After seeing Piketon's field, curious as to where this will be played at? Their field looks terrible... Hearing they may possibly try to use the soccer field (although from what I have heard when the soccer field was built, many of those associated with the soccer program said there was never to be any football played on it). Also have heard a neutral site being mentioned if things can't get worked out. I'm sure Waverly will gladly host the game at their place if needed..
What’s going on with the field at Piketon??

toast
All State

Post by toast »

"What’s going on with the field at Piketon??"

I was told they did some work on the crown and grass is not coming back real well.

Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

toast wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:26 pm "What’s going on with the field at Piketon??"

I was told they did some work on the crown and grass is not coming back real well.
You are correct, the company that did the field started very late and grass wasn’t planted until the beginning of July, grass is coming up but still a few bare spots on the field. Hopefully the grass will fully grow and the game can be played at Piketon

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

I have yet to see it in person, but I saw the video that someone had posted on facebook last night showing the field. It was looking pretty rough, not good since we are right around a month until game day

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Curious to what they will do if the field isn't ready to play on

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Kicker. wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:10 pm Curious to what they will do if the field isn't ready to play on
What did Waverly do all of those years before getting turf around week 6 or 7 and no grass from the 25 to the 25 and has mark to hash mark?

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

eagles73Taylor wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:41 pm
Kicker. wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:10 pm Curious to what they will do if the field isn't ready to play on
What did Waverly do all of those years before getting turf around week 6 or 7 and no grass from the 25 to the 25 and has mark to hash mark?

good old mud bowl! lol i think the grass will be good to go at piketon for the game

MasterOfNone
All Conference

Post by MasterOfNone »

The dryness and bare spots isn't too concerning, it happens to a lot of fields just usually mid season. The worrisome/odd thing about the field at this point is the amount of weeds that are growing, there was one weed that was at least a foot or two tall. Hope things work out tho

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

I have heard the word is the game will be played at Valley instead of Piketon

Smokyhollowbandit
JV Team

Kicker. wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:23 pm I have heard the word is the game will be played at Valley instead of Piketon
Seems a little early IMO to move the game elsewhere but I understand they have to do what needs to be done for the safety of the players and so Piketon’s field won’t be torn up after the first game

Return to “Football”