Millersport

WellstonLover
Riding the Bench

Re: Millersport

Post by WellstonLover »

madpolecat wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:40 am According to OHSAA, Millersport has 74 boys in the school.

South Gallia has 80 boys, and I don't think SG could field both a soccer team and a football in the fall.

Millersport is a small, tight district with a pretty decent standard of living (very close to the state average median). I imagine that the participation rates are decent, but the school is just too darn small for both.

I imagine that the history of football struggle has driven some boys to other districts (we had to fight this at RV when coach Sparling arrived... getting them to stay in district).

What really sucks is that the OHSAA will not allow free transfer to the boys who just had football yanked out from underneath them. They are subject to the regular transfer rule and will lose half the season if they do transfer.

"Millersport football players can transfer, but they would have to sit out the final five games per the new OHSAA transfer rule. The only way they could play this year is if their family physically moves into a new school district." From the Lancaster Eagle-Gazette

THAT IS HORSE SHITE.
This is not 100% true. Ask Jackson. I’m sure hey could help them find the loopholes they need to make it possible.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

WellstonLover wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:54 pm
madpolecat wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:40 am According to OHSAA, Millersport has 74 boys in the school.

South Gallia has 80 boys, and I don't think SG could field both a soccer team and a football in the fall.

Millersport is a small, tight district with a pretty decent standard of living (very close to the state average median). I imagine that the participation rates are decent, but the school is just too darn small for both.

I imagine that the history of football struggle has driven some boys to other districts (we had to fight this at RV when coach Sparling arrived... getting them to stay in district).

What really sucks is that the OHSAA will not allow free transfer to the boys who just had football yanked out from underneath them. They are subject to the regular transfer rule and will lose half the season if they do transfer.

"Millersport football players can transfer, but they would have to sit out the final five games per the new OHSAA transfer rule. The only way they could play this year is if their family physically moves into a new school district." From the Lancaster Eagle-Gazette

THAT IS HORSE SHITE.
This is not 100% true. Ask Jackson. I’m sure hey could help them find the loopholes they need to make it possible.

Wellston would know , they were doing business with the Russians long before Donald Trump. 😂

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

Soccer makes zero money, so the Lakers starting soccer seems like a very bad financial move.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:33 am Soccer makes zero money, so the Lakers starting soccer seems like a very bad financial move.
Equipment costs are much lower and much easier to maintain. I’m not sure they were making a whole lot of money from football as is, based on their enrollment and history.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:33 am Soccer makes zero money, so the Lakers starting soccer seems like a very bad financial move.
Football doesn't actually make that much money.
It draws the biggest crowds but it is also the most expensive sport.
Sports like Soccer have low overheads so it takes less to hit the break even point.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

In small communities like theirs it might be the better move, South Webster has had an excellent soccer program without ever having a football team

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

Millersport has been 43-137 since 2000. I know that anytime that a football program stops football for a season, it typically means the death of it. However, I agree with the South Webster comment; in the end, it may be more beneficial for the community. You can't have a football program and soccer program where there's 80 total boys. It in essence would mean that you would have to have all 80 boys playing in order for it to work, and that's unrealistic. I hope that this move by Millersport is beneficial to their community and school district.

LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Soccer isn't to popular in this area.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:46 pm Soccer isn't to popular in this area.
It's more popular than you think.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

So you have been in this area to see this?

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:43 pm So you have been in this area to see this?
I have family up there and we've been up that way for travel soccer.

BUCKEYE PRIDE!
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Orange and Brown wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 11:19 pm
LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:43 pm So you have been in this area to see this?
I have family up there and we've been up that way for travel soccer.
Thanks. I can only go by talk around this area and when driving by a game, the stands are usually 90% empty.

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:46 pm Soccer isn't to popular in this area.

Many schools around have it now almost all of the SOC II schools have it and as well for the SOC I if they don't have football they have soccer, the OVC also has a good bit of soccer teams

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I hate to hear any school give up on football. I can't imagine what the overall community feels aboutthis loss. Then again, maybe it's the sign of our times.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse
art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Soccer may be the way to go for these smaller schools who are continuously unable to field a competitive football team. And agreed about South Webster, no way their enrollment could've supported soccer AND football (so school chose soccer and now have one of the best soccer programs in SE Ohio). Same thing happened at Beaver Eastern except the opposite result....once they got football, it was the end of their soccer program. Gotta think Millersport will be seeing the same thing and will have to choose which sport to push going forward.*

LucasDavenport
SEOPS HOF

Post by LucasDavenport »

Millersport did have 1 wonderful season in their long and mostly unforgettable history.

1965 —- 10-0. Outscored their opponents 278-0

Camp North Star > Camp Mohawk
dazed&confused
SEOPS HO
Location: Those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it

Post by dazed&confused »

I can't remember what site I saw it on but I read that something like 450 high schools nationally have dropped football in the last few years.

May you live in interesting times- ancient Chinese curse

Return to “Football”