Millersport

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Millersport

Post by danicalifornia »

They will not be fielding a team this fall due to low numbers. Hopefully Miller (Wk1), Notre Dame (Wk2), and Adena (Wk3) will be able to find suitable replacement games, as well as the rest of Millersport’s scheduled opponents.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Millersport

Post by Orange and Brown »

I can't see teams being able to find a replacement 3 weeks from the start of the season.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
Raider6309
SEOPS HOF

Post by Raider6309 »

Not surprised

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Orange and Brown wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:16 am I can't see teams being able to find a replacement 3 weeks from the start of the season.
I looked on OHSAA Open Dates and there were very few for the season at all.

Linden McKinley in Columbus for Wk1, Reigning Sports Academy in Columbus for Wk2. That’s it for the 3 local teams who have lost games.

And like Raider said, this isn’t surprising.

icanpickem
All Conference

Post by icanpickem »

When a school schedules millersport for a non conference game they should already know this could happen. If they don't , shame on them.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

danicalifornia wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:37 pm
Orange and Brown wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:16 am I can't see teams being able to find a replacement 3 weeks from the start of the season.
I looked on OHSAA Open Dates and there were very few for the season at all.

Linden McKinley in Columbus for Wk1, Reigning Sports Academy in Columbus for Wk2. That’s it for the 3 local teams who have lost games.

And like Raider said, this isn’t surprising.
I think RSA is a clue team. Hopefully Millersport can find a way to get numbers up for next year.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

The quick acting (we realized this was a possibility since June) Mighty Miller Falcons will be headed to Berne Union week one to play the Rockets.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

fortdawg wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:47 pm The quick acting (we realized this was a possibility since June) Mighty Miller Falcons will be headed to Berne Union week one to play the Rockets.
Awesome! Good for them to find one so quickly.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

icanpickem wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:59 pm When a school schedules millersport for a non conference game they should already know this could happen. If they don't , shame on them.
To be fair, I don’t think anyone anticipated Millersport adding soccer (which is what is understood to have caused enough attrition of football players to force a cancellation.)

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

fortdawg wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:47 pm The quick acting (we realized this was a possibility since June) Mighty Miller Falcons will be headed to Berne Union week one to play the Rockets.
Sounds good

GO LOGAN..The anti-Christ is among us
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

In talking to a coach from another sport awhile back from Millersport,I learned that several years ago Millersport lost land and the people living in the area they lost kids go to Sheridan from one side and Liberty Union on the other. I am going to guess this has slowly killed sports at Millersport.

ttomcat 80
JV Team

Post by ttomcat 80 »

Don't really know if true or not,but herd that not just numbers are down but eligibility hurt them.

:roll: cats :roll:
Omega
SEOPS H

Post by Omega »

LICKING COUNTY FAN wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:30 pm In talking to a coach from another sport awhile back from Millersport,I learned that several years ago Millersport lost land and the people living in the area they lost kids go to Sheridan from one side and Liberty Union on the other. I am going to guess this has slowly killed sports at Millersport.
M'port football has been anemic for 50 plus years. In most years, success for the program has been measured by perseverance, not victories. Given the continued population loss and economic distress of SEO, will we see more schools unable to field football squads due to low numbers?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
LICKING COUNTY FAN
SEOPS Hippo

Post by LICKING COUNTY FAN »

ttomcat 80 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:57 am Don't really know if true or not,but herd that not just numbers are down but eligibility hurt them.
i heard that too.

madpolecat
All State

Post by madpolecat »

According to OHSAA, Millersport has 74 boys in the school.

South Gallia has 80 boys, and I don't think SG could field both a soccer team and a football in the fall.

Millersport is a small, tight district with a pretty decent standard of living (very close to the state average median). I imagine that the participation rates are decent, but the school is just too darn small for both.

I imagine that the history of football struggle has driven some boys to other districts (we had to fight this at RV when coach Sparling arrived... getting them to stay in district).

What really sucks is that the OHSAA will not allow free transfer to the boys who just had football yanked out from underneath them. They are subject to the regular transfer rule and will lose half the season if they do transfer.

"Millersport football players can transfer, but they would have to sit out the final five games per the new OHSAA transfer rule. The only way they could play this year is if their family physically moves into a new school district." From the Lancaster Eagle-Gazette

THAT IS HORSE SHITE.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

madpolecat wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:40 am According to OHSAA, Millersport has 74 boys in the school.

South Gallia has 80 boys, and I don't think SG could field both a soccer team and a football in the fall.

Millersport is a small, tight district with a pretty decent standard of living (very close to the state average median). I imagine that the participation rates are decent, but the school is just too darn small for both.

I imagine that the history of football struggle has driven some boys to other districts (we had to fight this at RV when coach Sparling arrived... getting them to stay in district).

What really sucks is that the OHSAA will not allow free transfer to the boys who just had football yanked out from underneath them. They are subject to the regular transfer rule and will lose half the season if they do transfer.

"Millersport football players can transfer, but they would have to sit out the final five games per the new OHSAA transfer rule. The only way they could play this year is if their family physically moves into a new school district." From the Lancaster Eagle-Gazette
Yikes. I thought that it used to be that you could free transfer if a sport you played previously at a school was taken away, but I obviously could be wrong on that.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Gonna be hard for Millersport to schedule non-conference opponents if they try to get the program up and running again next year. Anybody heard if Notre Dame or Adena has been able to fill their open dates yet?

Also, agreed that it is crap for OHSAA to not have a full-eligibility exception for kids transferring to another school under this scenario. Kids are being punished for something out of their control.*

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

Notre Dame is playing Rosecrans week two.

formerfcfan
SEOP

Post by formerfcfan »

madpolecat wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:40 am According to OHSAA, Millersport has 74 boys in the school.

THAT IS HORSE SHITE.
Walnut Township Local Schools is a very small (geographically and population) district. While the district is buoyed by some prime marina properties (thanks, Buckeye Lake), something like 50% of all students in the district qualify for free or reduced lunches. The other primary obstacle is that the district is completely surrounded by better funded, larger district. To some who read this board, that may not be seen as a detriment, but...

A district like Millersport/WTSD is too small, too broke and too exhausted to offer the complete, most competitive offerings of all things that sum up to a maximized high school experience. They offer comparatively fewer extracurricular activities and course offerings, whereas more opportunities are had at neighboring Lakewood, Liberty Union, and Sheridan (not to mention three very affordable, nearby private schools.) I understand the argument in favor of the really small, “one community” schools, but a district like WTSD/Millersport simply can no longer sustain long-term many of their varsity sports. One possible solution could be for OHSAA to allow for cooperative sports teams, like say that instead of “Millersport” and “Sheridan” it would be a football team of “Millersport-Sheridan”. Of course, that will likely never happen and is probably too complex (and maybe unnecessary?) of a numbers adjustment to make it worth while.

Regarding student participation: Millersport has probably the lowest student participation in sports in its league. Why that’s the case, I’m not sure, but they’re competitively disadvantaged against pretty much every school they play. Leaving the MSL... well, there’s no other league situation that would really fit their interests or needs.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

formerfcfan wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:33 pm Notre Dame is playing Rosecrans week two.
formerfcfan: thanks for the info.*

Return to “Football”