The TVC’s biggest issue, and solution..

morganjones
Riding the Bench

Re: The TVC’s biggest issue, and solution..

Post by morganjones »

Jason Vorhees wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:04 am Here's an idea: add Oak Hill to the TVC-Ohio and Point Pleasant. However, with Point, add every sport except football. Travel time for a lot of the TVC Ohio schools would have a straight shot down 33 to Mason and then to Point. As far as I can tell, it would be no more than an hour's drive for most of the conference schools. I am saying not to add their football because of how they treat other programs in football. The rest of the sports would be right on par with the rest of the TVC-Ohio. Oak Hill is definitely wishful thinking.
Oak Hill doesn't want to play VC, Athens, Meigs, RV, and Nelsonville every year. It would not be pretty.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I can’t see OH wanting this....I can buy everything else.

Good work

fortdawg
All Conference

Post by fortdawg »

Your complaints seem centered around the Ohio. Why mess with the Hocking? It's a playoff generating machine.
I keep asking if there was all this interest to play the teams you are proposing....why isn't it happening now?
Do the Ohio teams play them in basketball, baseball and all the other sports?
This year you have Athens rolling into NY week 10 and there's a chance both will be undefeated-----you want to trade that for Athens vs. Oak Hill?
I wouldn't count on Alex of Fed voting for the division you stuck them in.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Football is the only sport that causes a scheduling problem with an odd number of league games, so why doesn't the TVC just enter into a scheduling agreement with Warren to play the TVC OHIO teams during the conference schedule "off week" every team has?

Warren vs.

Week 4 - Wellston (this season playing Portsmouth West)
Week 5 - Nelsonville-York (this season playing Waverly)
Week 6 - Athens (this season playing Logan)
Week 7 - Vinton County (this season playing Minford)
Week 8 - Meigs (this season playing Point Pleasant)
Week 9 - Alexander (this season already playing Warren week 9)
Week 10 - River Valley (this season playing South Gallia)

The TVC benefits by not having to find late season nonleague games in football.

Warren benefits by not having to find late season games in football.

If most schools are afraid Warren is too big to rejoin the TVC, the benefit here is that Warren is not a member of the TVC. It's just a scheduling agreement in football. Only one sport is impacted. Plus, even if Warren were to go 7-0 in those football games, Warren still would not be TVC Champs because the games do not count as league games.

This is the only compromise I can think of to make both sides happy. Unless most TVC schools don't mind finding late season nonleague games in football. In that case, I see the status quo sticking around.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

NYBuckeye96 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:00 pm Football is the only sport that causes a scheduling problem with an odd number of league games, so why doesn't the TVC just enter into a scheduling agreement with Warren to play the TVC OHIO teams during the conference schedule "off week" every team has?

Warren vs.

Week 4 - Wellston (this season playing Portsmouth West)
Week 5 - Nelsonville-York (this season playing Waverly)
Week 6 - Athens (this season playing Logan)
Week 7 - Vinton County (this season playing Minford)
Week 8 - Meigs (this season playing Point Pleasant)
Week 9 - Alexander (this season already playing Warren week 9)
Week 10 - River Valley (this season playing South Gallia)

The TVC benefits by not having to find late season nonleague games in football.

Warren benefits by not having to find late season games in football.

If most schools are afraid Warren is too big to rejoin the TVC, the benefit here is that Warren is not a member of the TVC. It's just a scheduling agreement in football. Only one sport is impacted. Plus, even if Warren were to go 7-0 in those football games, Warren still would not be TVC Champs because the games do not count as league games.

This is the only compromise I can think of to make both sides happy. Unless most TVC schools don't mind finding late season nonleague games in football. In that case, I see the status quo sticking around.

That would make a crappy game for points.

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

True. But so would most games NY would play in any sort of "mid-size" division. Nothing outside of NY being in the large school division excites me personally.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

NYBuckeye96 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:08 pm

True. But so would most games NY would play in any sort of "mid-size" division. Nothing outside of NY being in the large school division excites me personally.
I just don't think the TVC is ready for a change this big.
At some point schools will get tired of trying to find games and something will happen. I couldn't imagine playing fed hock in Football lol

Championship's are won in the off-season
BUCKEYE PRIDE!
NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Orange and Brown wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:16 pmAt some point schools will get tired of trying to find games and something will happen. I couldn't imagine playing fed hock in Football lol

It wouldn't be pretty. It certainly wasn't in the old unified TVC. In fact, of all teams listed in that middle division, Trimble has had the most "success" vs. NY, yet NY has a commanding lead in the all-time series. Belpre was competative prior to 1990, but not since. In fact, Belpre was so competitive prior to 1990 that Belpre to this day has a higher winning percentage vs. NY than Trimble does. Wellston and River Valley have never really been competative with NY either. In fact, outside of Gallia Academy (0-3) and Oak Hill (1-1), NY has dominated all of the schools in the big school division in this proposed realignment, with Athens being at least somewhat competative.

Based on this proposed realignment......

NY vs.........
Alexander - 43-2-1
Athens - 22-16
Gallia Academy - 0-3 (have not played since NY left the SEOAL)
Meigs - 24-14 (Meigs won the first 9 games played vs. NY. NY 24-5 since 1989)
Oak Hill - 1-1
Vinton County - 41-9

Belpre - 25-15 (18-3 since 1989)
Federal Hocking - 22-1 (21 wins were shutouts or FH scored 8 points or less)
River Valley - 9-2 (plus 4-0 vs. North Gallia prior to RV consolidation)
Trimble - 31-15-2
Wellston - 34-11

Miller - 17-2
Southern - 1-0

Warren - 11-7-1

Jason Vorhees
S

Post by Jason Vorhees »

I would think that Oak Hill would want to do this rather than playing in the SOC2, which will start next year. Oak Hill most years would compete with Wellston, Alexander, and VC. About every 3 years Oak Hill would compete with Meigs, about every 4-5 years with N-Y and Athens probably, and that's a rough estimate. With Point Pleasant, they would probably dominate football, but I think that they would be a great fit for every other sport. But, I digress back to Oak Hill. I think that physically OH would match up well, but athletically would be a struggle.

warrior90
Varsity

Post by warrior90 »

If TVC doesn't want Warren, then we would be stupid to bail them out on football scheduling. I say Warren should go east and north to find games if we cant get into the TVC. Just my opinion.

one Oak
JV Team

Post by one Oak »

How about Oak Hill to the current TVC Ohio and South Gallia to the SOC 1?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

one Oak wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:42 pm How about Oak Hill to the current TVC Ohio and South Gallia to the SOC 1?
That’s actually the simplest and probably the best fix to the issue. South Gallia is such a long drive for everyone in the Hocking Division.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

warrior90 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:06 pm If TVC doesn't want Warren, then we would be stupid to bail them out on football scheduling. I say Warren should go east and north to find games if we cant get into the TVC. Just my opinion.
I agree with you warrior. I would’ve liked for the TVC to add Warren back when the petitioned for membership. This is the reason I left them out of my plan. The TVC sees warren as a threat because of their size. I wish they were back in the Conference they helped create, but it looks like that will never happen. I’m like you though, if the TVC doesn’t want me in the conference, there’s no way I’m “helping” their scheduling issue, unless it was a benefit to me.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Ironman92 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:49 am I can’t see OH wanting this....I can buy everything else.

Good work
Maybe. Maybe not? If I were Oak Hill, I’d rather take my chances in this new TVC than go up against Wheelersburg, Portsmouth West, Waverly etc week after week. Plus travel for this new division would be much better for the Oaks. I’m not sure of the negatives for them honestly.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Abe Froman wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:28 am I don't really see Oak Hill in your proposed TVC Ohio division.

However, Warren on the other hand I can see.

Curious as to why you would choose Oak Hill over Warren.
I chose Oak Hill over warren because of a number of reasons. The main one being that the warriors have tried to rejoin the TVC multiple times and have not been given the green light. I just don’t see the TVC letting them back in unless their enrollment drops about 100 kids. Oak Hill has great facilities, their school size is just about in the middle of what’s currently in the TVC. Their programs are consistently competitive. Plus, if I were Oak Hill, I’d rather take my chances against VC, Alexander, Gallia etc week in and week out as opposed to the Burg, Portsmouth West, Waverly and so on.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

One other thing that I didn’t put in the original post is travel time. Oak Hill will be joining the big school SOC division next season so these numbers are based off of that.

Travel Time per Google maps.
SOC Oak Hill 39.4 Minutes per trip avg.
New TVC OH 45.2 Minutes per trip avg.
That’s under 6 minutes more per trip. Not a deal breaker imo.

Now let’s look at Gallia Academy.
OVC Gallia Academy 58.4 Minutes per trip avg. (The closest trip is 45 Minutes to Fairland)
New TVC Gallia Acdmy 47.6 Minutes per trip avg. That’s knocks off almost 11 Minutes per trip. So their would definitely be a plus for Gallia in terms of travel time. Also, as in Oak Hills case, there would be MUCH more 4 lane travel as opposed to curvy two lane state routes. And in some cases, county roads.

Just another set of numbers to look at. Well all know that travel is taken into consideration. That’s VC’a excuse for not voting in Warren anyway. Lol

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

one Oak wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:42 pm How about Oak Hill to the current TVC Ohio and South Gallia to the SOC 1?
So I was curious as to the travel time for South Gallia because I know they are pretty far south. So I thought I’d figure their numbers to the small school SOC football only schools. The average for South Gallia in the SOC would be a staggering 66 Minutes per trip average. That’s INSANE! So I figured uptheir numbers for the CURRENT TVC Hocking division. Right now, South Gallia drives and average of 77.6 Minutes per conference game! Holy cow!! Why and how did the TVC vote a school in that is so far away from everyone and everything?!? It’s almost a 2 hour trip to Miller for crying out loud! Who thought this would be a good idea?!? Warren needs to hire the person from South Gallia that made their pitch to the TVC!

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

South Gallia's size and location put them at odds for most divisions, ideally they'd be best fit for OVC based on location however they'd also be the smallest school in the conference. No matter what conference drive time is going to be a problem outside of the OVC. Believe you've stolen my idea on Oak Hill as I've felt for couple years now that TVC is a good fit for them based on school size, playing style and location. SOC2 they're going to find tough sledding but they've already been playing Burg and Minford so we'll see how they do. Typically anytime a conference can make scheduling and drive times easier on the league as a whole they lean towards that idea. I've always preferred to see a 3 division setup and if teams needed to fill openings they could go cross division to play teams nothing wrong with that. However, this is also a problem the TVC has created and doesn't seem to be in any hurry to fix as long as teams aren't rocking the boat it simply won't change. Good work though

WellstonLover
Riding the Bench

Post by WellstonLover »

I’d like to see oak hill in the TVC. Just another close game for us and we play them a lot anyway.

Bearupthere34
Waterboy

Post by Bearupthere34 »

I don't see why you don't let in Warren, most of the tvc-ohio schools play them in the majority of their sports, and the tvc hocking schools play them in some of their sports. What fear do you have? It reminds me of what 93Bulldog used to say about Athens was too scared to be in the SEOAL, and he would say " we still play the SEOAL, we are just in the TVC now" high schools have up and down years, this would be no different at warren. It only enhances the league by putting them in, eventually what I think you will see is warren gets fed up with it and will stop scheduling tvc games.

Return to “Football”