2018 SOC2 Football

greygoose
SEOPS

Re: SOC II, beefing up their schedules, rank them!

Post by greygoose »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:50 am
14U wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:09 am
Proud_Pirate63 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:24 am

Heath is a long drive and were down last year. But when they were scheduled, they were a DIV school who went 10-0 in 2016 and were upset by a 9-1 Philo team in the playoffs. Both Heath and Waterson are off the schedule next year being replaced by I think Russell and Greenup in 2019. I’ve also been told that Ashland Blazer is going added 2020. I agree that Cabell Midland or Point Pleasant would be a great addition. Hopefully they can work that out in the future.
That’s what I was saying in above post. These teams were good when signed!! Burg played a Wv that was #1 in Wv back in the late 90’s and beat them 46-6, I know football is better in Ohio but I like less driving and mega points. Also the teams in Ky isn’t that bad, raceland and Russell have deep runs in playoff.its smarter to reach out and see, makes all the since in the world
I hate Ashland’s stadium. It’s awful. Why does it really matter if they go to CBus and play quality teams. We almost had CCC on the schedule last year but it fell through. We would have been drivin 4 hours to go play the defending State Champs. You have a problem with that? I don’t. Why go play Ashland, Greenup, Russell or Raceland? They are mediocre programs that, from what is being said, they are trying to get away from scheduling. I get maybe 1 OOC game if you have scheduled yourself into an 8-2 season. But from the points stand point, you have DIII Waterson, Jackson and Hartley. Those are all big points games. Then Waverly being DIV help in that column as well. And when West comes in 9-0, that gets you into the playoffs. Play the tougher schools up north. I’m cool with it. Maybe Schedule Athens. Chillicothe wants no part of it. So we are limited to who we can get. I’d like to see Clinton Massie, Valley View and the likes added to the schedule. That’s the games that test you. Not beating KY teams by 25-35 points.
Notice you didn't mention Cabel Midland, Huntington or Point Pleasant. I have to ask why does Chillicothe want no part of it?? Have to think that's just speculation because with Hinton there he's not going to back down from any team especially given they just took on a Bishop Hartley last season. So given that alone I have to speculate why in the world would Chillicothe not want to play? Outside of the fact they probably don't want to drop down and play a DV school, outside of their conference they schedule D2/3 schools. I mean you are absolutely kidding yourself if you think it's anything more than that. 2017 Chillicothe out of conference opponents were 33-11

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

14U wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:30 pm
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:33 pm
JTEK wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:43 pm Whats your point? Ashland Russell Raceland would be an upgrade over heath and watterson without the 2 1/2 hr drive.
They don’t provide any potential film of future opponents in the playoffs.

Heath was a bad move. But who really knew that was going to be the case. Waterson was a guess to my knowledge.

On another note. Hartley called us.

JC would be a good game with big boy points!! But why play a D-II or I team in JC that is physical and plays one way? Not smart. Why not play Ky teams or WV team? Ironton and Ptown did for years, and why? Because those teams would go 7-3, 8-2 with great first level points and second level points too. If you play the Ohio teams 3 hrs away like last year you only make first level point and NO 2nd level points do to teams winning 2 games. Go look at the Ky teams or WV teams going 7-3- 10-0, many points and mostly shame size or little bigger schools.. I see what ur saying, burg played their schedule and made playoffs and won State with who they had on schedule. I would like to stay 30 minutes up to 45 and have a winning opponent, wouldn’t you?
Yea. I admitted the Heath and Waterson part of things. I get you there. Like Johnson Central for instance. That’s is a long haul of its own. Would we follow? Yep. That would be a heck of a points game, you’re right. But still I will refer back to having potentially more film to study a common opponent for the playoffs. Granted teams evolve over the season, but still advantageous.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

greygoose wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:27 pm
14U wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:09 am

That’s what I was saying in above post. These teams were good when signed!! Burg played a Wv that was #1 in Wv back in the late 90’s and beat them 46-6, I know football is better in Ohio but I like less driving and mega points. Also the teams in Ky isn’t that bad, raceland and Russell have deep runs in playoff.its smarter to reach out and see, makes all the since in the world
I hate Ashland’s stadium. It’s awful. Why does it really matter if they go to CBus and play quality teams. We almost had CCC on the schedule last year but it fell through. We would have been drivin 4 hours to go play the defending State Champs. You have a problem with that? I don’t. Why go play Ashland, Greenup, Russell or Raceland? They are mediocre programs that, from what is being said, they are trying to get away from scheduling. I get maybe 1 OOC game if you have scheduled yourself into an 8-2 season. But from the points stand point, you have DIII Waterson, Jackson and Hartley. Those are all big points games. Then Waverly being DIV help in that column as well. And when West comes in 9-0, that gets you into the playoffs. Play the tougher schools up north. I’m cool with it. Maybe Schedule Athens. Chillicothe wants no part of it. So we are limited to who we can get. I’d like to see Clinton Massie, Valley View and the likes added to the schedule. That’s the games that test you. Not beating KY teams by 25-35 points.
Notice you didn't mention Cabel Midland, Huntington or Point Pleasant. I have to ask why does Chillicothe want no part of it?? Have to think that's just speculation because with Hinton there he's not going to back down from any team especially given they just took on a Bishop Hartley last season. So given that alone I have to speculate why in the world would Chillicothe not want to play? Outside of the fact they probably don't want to drop down and play a DV school, outside of their conference they schedule D2/3 schools. I mean you are absolutely kidding yourself if you think it's anything more than that. 2017 Chillicothe out of conference opponents were 33-11
Yep. They don’t want to have the chance of getting beat by a DV team. That doesn’t look good on them and we benefit everything from it. That’s why they want no part.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:43 pm
greygoose wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:27 pm

Yep. They don’t want to have the chance of getting beat by a DV team. That doesn’t look good on them and we benefit everything from it. That’s why they want no part.
So it is only because Burg is a DV then. Ok understandable, because that would be the ONLY reason. Knowing Hinton and how the points work and what he could get from possibly beating burg I'm sure he'd play if asked though.

old benchwarmer
Freshman Team

Post by old benchwarmer »

One big problem with scheduling larger out of state (KY or WV) schools is that, just like here in OH, it is a lose-lose situation for them. If they defeat an Ohio D5 team, so what. I am not sure how many computer points they would receive. Someone may enlighten me. But if they lose, it looks even worse and the results are worse for them.

Omega
SEOPS H

Minford, West, and Waverly Are Undefeated. Can Anyone Challenge The Burg.

Post by Omega »

The Mighty Minford Falcons, Portsmouth West, and Waverly are all undefeated going into week five of the 2018 season.

Do any of these teams have what it takes to beat Wheelersburg for the SOC2 championship, or are they all battling for second place?

Gut feelings are your guardian angels
FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Re: Minford, West, and Waverly Are Undefeated. Can Anyone Challenge The Burg.

Post by FANOSPORTS »

Omega wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:15 pm The Mighty Minford Falcons, Portsmouth West, and Waverly are all undefeated going into week five of the 2018 season.

Do any of these teams have what it takes to beat Wheelersburg for the SOC2 championship, or are they all battling for second place?
Nope, Nope and Nope. :idea:

"ONCE A MARINE, ALWAYS A MARINE"
old benchwarmer
Freshman Team

Post by old benchwarmer »

Did West play Wheelersburg pretty tough last year? I can't recall the score. Waverly had a chance a couple of years ago to defeat Wheelersburg had it not been for a fumble on the 3 yard line right at the end of the game. I am not sure about this year, but I do know that Waverly has been improving their program over the course of a few years. With them being included in the southwest playoff district rather than the southeast, they need to do that just be competitive in the playoffs. It is actually more difficult for them to even qualify in the southwest district.

greygoose
SEOPS

Post by greygoose »

Minford--Nope, West--yes because of play style, Waverly--Maybe because they've got a ton of speed, I think the Shoemaker boy adds to Waverly's chances as well, however weak against the run and will be 1st time new QB goes against Burg at the varsity level.

14U
S

Post by 14U »

No! Minford hasn’t played anybody until 6th game comes up and waverly being a division higher hasn’t either. As for West they are battle tested and again this week against RACELAND Ky that has one loss to the number 1 team in Ky in AAA Ashland 21-14, this will be the game of the week, if they beat RACELAND watch out in week 10 burg vs West it’s still going to be a dog fight!! Burg has played a big time schedule and has come out with one loss to a bigger bitter team in Col Hartley it will help the pirates down don the home stretch of their schedule. This is only my opinion from an outsider looking in.

wobycat
SEOPS

Post by wobycat »

Waverly has best chance

Kicker.
All Conference

Post by Kicker. »

Waverly has been the closest as someone said in 2016 when they were one bad snap away from taking the lead with little time left in the 4th. This waverly team and the 2016 team are so different, but out of those team to challenge Burg I'd say waverly

A Kicker of various balls. Trust The Process
Beergogglebluez
SE

Post by Beergogglebluez »

No. Burgs loss was to a division 3 powerhouse. That team had a few D1 commits on it. Minford will lose to burg. West will lose to burg and possibly raceland. Waverly has really surprised me. There qb is a sophomore and have a pretty young squad but they won’t beat wheelersburg. I’m not from wheelersburg but they have the most fundamentally best team I’ve seen. They are fast. They tackle. 9-1 and they go deep in the postseason. I wouldn’t be surprised if in the state final again.

Operation Iraqi freedom 3. Sadr city/ eastern Baghdad 2005
Abe Froman
S

Post by Abe Froman »

No

Not this year

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Not sure Minford has played anyone to test them. No way they beat Wheelersburg.

P. West won a low scoring affair against Portsmouth and another close low scoring game against Coal Grove. The jury is still out on Coal Grove and Portsmouth but you can say West has beaten two respectable teams. And they have done it with their defense.

After two blowouts wins over winless Piketon and 3-1 Zane Trace, Waverly has beaten a decent Unioto (3-1) team going away and a very good 2-2 Fairland squad whose losses are to Waverly and Ironton.
Zane Trace at 3-1 is positioned at #4 region 15 while Fairland is #8 in the same region. Unioto is one spot back of ZT at #5. So, Waverly has beaten 3 of the top 8 in Div 4 Region 15. Waverly sits at #2 in the very tough region 16. Waverly has reached this point with offense while West has with defense.

We’ll know more about Waverly and West the next two weeks as Waverly hosts NY and travels to a much improved Valley team while West hosts a very very good Raceland squad and then travels to 4-0 Minford.
If West has any chance of beating Wheelersburg it will be with their defense shutting the Pirates down and the Senators offense creating some scores somehow.
If Waverly is going to beat Wheelersburg the Tigers high octane offense will need to be clicking while the defense is going to have to improve and make some stops... Special teams could be huge as well.......

It will be interesting to see where we are two weeks from today.....

Prime Time
All State

Post by Prime Time »

Waverly will have best chance50% , then west25% and then Minford 10%

Rolltanks
All Conference

Post by Rolltanks »

Just my opinion not trying to stir anything up but no none of these games will be close.

Jolly P(irate)
SEOP

Post by Jolly P(irate) »

Waverly May have a chance. West will be a test as usual with Burg running away and Minford, whose that?

Bleeding Red
SEOPS

Post by Bleeding Red »

Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:37 pm Waverly May have a chance. West will be a test as usual with Burg running away and Minford, whose that?
The 2018 SOC II baseball champs. Does that ring a bell? Lol.

BigBlueNation
SEOP

Post by BigBlueNation »

Bleeding Red wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:08 pm
Jolly P(irate) wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:37 pm Waverly May have a chance. West will be a test as usual with Burg running away and Minford, whose that?
The 2018 SOC II baseball champs. Does that ring a bell? Lol.
This is a football thread.

Return to “Football”